PDA

View Full Version : Nic Harris to LB ?

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/29/2006, 08:54 AM
I know he has the height to be there, but isn't he only about 215 right now?

http://oklahoma.scout.com/
On that page it said that he is switching positions and making a run at the starting spot. I think he needs to get to about 230 or 240 before he makes the move to LB

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2006, 09:00 AM
Here's what Venables said in the DOK:

Seniors Rufus Alexander and Zach Latimer are set, but junior Demarrio Pleasant and sophomore Curtis Lofton are vying for the Sam spot. And Venables suggested that Nic Harris is pushing for time, as the nickel back or at linebacker.

KYHonorarySooner
8/29/2006, 09:02 AM

On that page it said that he is switching positions and making a run at the starting spot. I think he needs to get to about 230 or 240 before he makes the move to LB

In that article Venables called him his "nickle backer." Obviously a mix between nickle db and linebacker.

GDC
8/29/2006, 09:27 AM
OU Notebook:Third in line
By GUERIN EMIG AND JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writers
8/29/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops reported Monday that wide receiver Manuel Johnson (ankle) will likely be the only Sooner out with an injury Saturday night against UAB. He said either sophomore Fred Strong or Reggie Smith, the starting cornerback who recently began spot-playing on offense in practice, would join Malcolm Kelly and Juaquin Iglesias in OU's three-wide sets.

Back on Aug. 18, around the time Smith made his move, coaches estimated he would be used between 15-20 plays, most likely on third downs. It seems that since then, Smith has proven himself to be more than a situational player on offense.

"Anybody that you can get (the ball) to and they can go with it short, they can go with it long, too," Stoops said Monday.

Sam they are: Replacing Clint Ingram, OU's starting strongside ("Sam") linebacker last year, has turned out to be somewhat of a chore.

Sophomore Ryan Reynolds might have been the guy, but he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee right after spring practice.

That left junior Demarrio Pleasant and sophomore Curtis Lofton to battle as preseason camp began. And it left time for a surprise development the past couple weeks.

"(Nic Harris)

has played a lot of Sam versus two-back personnel," OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Monday, "to try to give us some flexibility and options."

Harris, who started two games at free safety as a 2005 freshman, and who coaches say has increased his weight from 210 to 230 pounds since then, gives the Sooners a lot of flexibility. He is a year into the system and more comfortable both physically and mentally.

"We've worked him at Nickel (the third safety in OU's 5-defensive back alignment), and he continues to work at strong safety and free safety," OU secondary coach Bobby Jack Wright said.

Boys to men: There are three true freshmen in OU's offensive line 2-deep -- Jenks center Chase Beeler and tackles Trent Williams and Cory Brandon. But are they ready for the Division I-A trenches?

"They're coming along," senior left tackle Chris Messner said. "Some of them might not understand the scheme of what we're doing, but they still come with the same work ethic. I'll say this: When I was a freshman, I was doing worse than these guys."

'Herbies' handed out: ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit released his annual Herbie Awards Monday, and OU was represented.

Adrian Peterson was named best running back. Rufus Alexander was named No. 2 outside linebacker, behind Penn State's Paul Posluszny. Larry Birdine was listed among the top seven defensive ends. And Kelly topped the list entitled, "What's My Name: Players who will be household names by October."

Notably left out of the 'Herbies' was Stoops, who did not make the cut of five best game-day coaches (Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, Jim Tressel, Charlie Weis and Rich Rodriguez).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read other stories about OU football and the OU blog by writers John Hoover and Guerin Emig at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

GDC
8/29/2006, 09:31 AM
Big 12 Insider: Coaches blast rules changes
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
8/29/2006

If they could, Big 12 football coaches would throw a penalty flag on the NCAA. More specifically, they aren't pleased with some rule changes for this season.

The rules were implemented in an attempt to shorten games. But league coaches said on Monday's teleconference that they fear the NCAA is attempting to fix something that isn't broken.

"I don't like them," Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione said. "If our game needed those things it would be different. But I don't think our game does."

In brief, the changes include:

During a kickoff, the clock will start when the ball is kicked instead of when it's touched by the receiving team.

The clock will start on change of possession (punts, turnovers, failed fourth-down plays) when the ball is marked "ready for play" instead of when it's snapped.

Halftimes can be shortened from 20 minutes to 15 if both teams agree.

The changes were made after televised games last season lasted an average of 3 hours, 21 minutes. Bowl games averaged 3 hours, 45 minutes.

In the Big 12, televised games averaged 3 hours, 35 minutes. That was 17 minutes longer than games the previous two years

and the longest of any Division I-A Conference.

Texas Tech's wide-open passing attack has often been accused of being the culprit for marathon games. Other schools are switching to the same offensive philosophy, which means the clock stops on incompletions, first downs and touchdowns.

"I understand why they want to shorten the game to some degree," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "But I think we have to be very careful; we don't want to be like the NFL."

NFL games in recent years have averaged about 3 hours, 4 minutes. Several coaches feel television executives are pushing for the college game to speed up.

"We've got 85,000 fans who travel significant distances to be here (Memorial Stadium) and they don't want to see short games," Stoops said. "They are here for the afternoon, and they don't care what TV thinks."

What angers most coaches is their belief that the changes could shorten games as much as 15 to 20 plays.

Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, whose team faces OU on Sept. 16, was outspoken at the Pac-10 Media Days when asked about the new rules.

"I'm appalled," Bellotti said. "They're major and very severe and in my opinion are going to change the game as we know it."

Early speculation has been that underdog teams could benefit by the reduction of 20 plays a game. And some have predicted that more teams will go with a no-huddle offense because the team is already at the line of scrimmage when the clock starts.

"It certainly affects clock planning on both sides of the ball in the urgency of not wasting time," Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said.

The changes could prove too little, too late. College football has also agreed to a uniform policy on instant replay this season. That agreement allows a coach to challenge one call per game, which means the contest could be stopped for several minutes while officials check the replay monitors.

Not surprisingly, the new rules did not include any mention of reducing the number of television commercials or their length. So while the game might speed up, the commercial breaks are going to drag on at their normal, boring speed.

"TV dictates this (changes); we all understand that's really the issue here," Pinkel said. "It's the way the NFL is; they don't want the game to go over a certain amount of time.".

GDC
8/29/2006, 09:32 AM
Big 12 Insider: The conference buzz
8/29/2006

Brother act: It's going to be a family football affair in the Sunflower State this season. In a first in the Big 12 and perhaps in college football history, brothers are going to start at quarterback in the same league at the same time.

The unique situation became a reality Sunday when Kansas State coach Ron Prince informed senior Dylan Meier that he had beaten out true freshman Josh Freeman and will be at the controls in the Wildcats' opener against Illinois State.

Kerry Meier, a redshirt freshman at Kansas, has known for several weeks that he was the Jayhawks' starter. KU opens Saturday against Northwestern (La.) State.

The brothers' parents, Dennis and Valerie Meier of Pittsburg, Kan., won't be able to watch their boys' games together. KU kicks off the season at 6 p.m. in Lawrence, with K-State's opener scheduled to start 10 minutes later in Manhattan.

Dennis Meier told The Kansas City Star that the parents would split up (temporarily) with one going to K-State and the other to KU. The KU-K-State game is Nov. 18 at KU.

KU coach Mark Mangino said he isn't concerned with Kerry Meier's lack of experience.

"He ready to play both emotionally

and physically," Mangino said. "He has a lot of savvy and he's hard to rattle.

"We're going to bring him along slowly. We're only going to ask him to play quarterback, we're not going to ask him to carry the offense."

Prince said Freeman had an impressive fall camp, especially for a true freshman. But the first-year K-State coach said Dylan Meier is definitely No. 1.

"I feel that if you have two starters, what you really have is two backups," said Prince, who is opposed to alternating quarterbacks. "I've been involved with that, I've seen it and I haven't been satisfied with the results."

Dylan Meier started six games in 2004, but sat out the 2005 season because of shoulder injury. A tendon from his leg was needed to help rebuild his right shoulder.

"The players on this team really respect Dylan, and he has good chemistry with them," Prince said. "Josh is going to have a very bright future; he has some tremendous gifts.

"But we thought Dylan had all the right stuff."

Not all cupcakes: The normal diet of creampuffs will be featured when the Big 12 starts this season with games on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

But the Baylor-TCU and Iowa State-Toledo games should provide some healthy competition. It wouldn't be a total surprise if both Big 12 teams lost.

Toledo coach Tom Amstutz is 45-18 in six seasons, while building the Rockets into perennial contenders in the Mid-American Conference. The Rockets have the 11th-best winning percentage since 2000 in Division I-A and have wins over Penn State and Minnesota of the Big Ten.

"I don't think I have to fabricate how good the Rockets are," Iowa State coach Dan McCarney said. "It's all right there in black and white."

Iowa State was scheduled to open up Thursday night at home against Army, but the Cadets bought themselves out of the home-and-home contract after they lost to the Cyclones last season at West Point.

McCarney said Army's decision left ISU struggling for a replacement. The only other options were games at Florida State or Georgia.

"There were not a lot of choices out there," McCarney said. "So here we are, we're going to play a team that's been No. 1 in the Mid-American Conference in total offense and total defense. They have an outstanding program."

Spoiling the image: Baylor's Daniel Sepulveda is going to give punters a good name if he isn't careful. Kickers aren't generally known for their toughness, but Sepulveda is an exception.

The 2004 winner of the Ray Guy Award as the nation's top punter, Sepulveda was expected to miss several early games after he injured his knee in a pickup basketball game this spring.

Baylor coach Guy Morriss said Sepulveda informed him on Sunday that he intends to play this Sunday against TCU. Sepulveda insists he's been cleared by the team's doctors and trainers.

Morriss said he's concerned opposing teams will go after a vulnerable Sepulveda. He could get hurt when a player runs into him while attempting to block a kick.

"That's what scares me," Morriss said. "I think he feels he's mobile enough to avoid all of that.

"But I'll talk with his dad and make sure they understand the risk factor. I want them to make the decision as a family."

Wide open: Several Big 12 coaches agree that the national championship race is wide open this season. Mack Brown, whose Texas team won it last year, said he can't see one program dominating like USC and OU did in recent years.

"If Vince (Young) had come back, people probably would have been talking about us more for the national championship," Brown said of losing his quarterback a year early to the NFL. "Most people don't have us in that (title) picture.

"I think we're seeing parity throughout now. The scholarship limits are limited to a point (85) that it gives more teams an opportunity to be good."

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said it's possible for a team to pull off a surprise this season like the Sooners did in 2000. Ranked low in the preseason, OU shocked everyone when it won the title in Stoops' second season.

"The past four or five years there were always a few teams that seemed to be so far ahead of everyone else," said Stoops, who had OU in the national title game three out of four seasons. "So whoever is able to bring it together and improve as they go through the year has got a chance at it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Sittler 581-8312
[email protected].

GDC
8/29/2006, 09:33 AM
Switzer delights in return to home state
By NOAH TRISTER Associated Press
8/29/2006

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Barry Switzer was back in Arkansas and in a jovial mood, talking at length about his eventful coaching career.

Then someone asked what his favorite moment in sports was.

"Sure wasn't the Orange Bowl in 1978," Switzer said, delighting the crowd.

Arkansas beat Switzer's Oklahoma football team 31-6 in that game, but the Crossett native didn't seem too bitter Monday. He spoke for about 30 minutes at the Little Rock Touchdown Club, repeatedly poking fun at himself while telling stories from his days as coach at Oklahoma and with the Dallas Cowboys.

Switzer played football at Arkansas during the 1950s before rising to prominence in the state next door. He became coach at Oklahoma in 1973 and won three national championships before resigning amid scandal in 1989. In 1994, Switzer was hired to coach the Dallas Cowboys, and he won the Super Bowl in his second season.

Switzer was hired to coach the Cowboys by another former Razorback, Jerry Jones. Another Arkansas favorite, former Arkansas State coach Larry Lacewell, was the Cowboys' scouting director at the time..

GDC
8/29/2006, 09:40 AM
Big 12 Insider: Hot or not in the Big 12
8/29/2006

WHO'S HOT

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan

When sophomore QB Harrison Beck quit the team, Callahan replaced him with a juco prospect and added Arizona State transfer Sam Keller.

Former OSU coach Pat Jones

Since he retired, Jones has been busier than ever. In addition to his radio work, Jones landed a choice spot on Fox Sports Southwest's Big 12 college football show.

Iowa State coach Dan McCarney

How many coaches do you know who would get a raise with a 55-77 record? McCarney's salary was boosted to $1.1 million a year in June.

Big 12 Conference athletic directors

The league could send a record nine teams to bowl games this season. For these guys, it's all about money and wins instead of quality games for fans.

Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson

Sooner junior goes into the season as a consensus No. 2 pick to win the Heisman Trophy. Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn is the preseason frontrunner for the prestigious individual award.

Oklahoma State

Boone Pickens' $165 million contribution (could grow to $300 million

through investments) to the athletic department has made the Cowboys the envy of the collegiate athletic world.

WHO'S NOT

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops

Fall camp was rocked by scandal. Things got worse when Keller picked NU, despite a last-minute recruiting push by Stoops.

Former NU player Trev Alberts

He disappeared after he was fired last September from ESPN when he pouted and didn't show up for work because he was upset with his role on the college football show. Alberts has resurfaced with CSTV, which has several million fewer viewers than his former employer.

Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione

"Turnaround Dennis" better get Aggies turned around or he's headed out of town. Tulsa fans are pulling hard for Franchione to save his job so they don't lose their coach.

Big 12 Conference fans

They must pay big bucks for tickets to watch their favorite teams take on such creampuffs as Missouri State, Middle Tennessee, Sam Houston State and Louisiana-Lafayette. Yuck!

Every player in the Big 12 who isn't Adrian Peterson

The league produced three Heisman winners in its first decade of existence, but Peterson is the league's only true candidate in 2006..

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 10:29 AM
Good Lord, gdc! Other people want to post, too! ;)

I think Nic is up to 225, but I'm not certain. Either way, he hits like a LB, so he'll be fine. It would be nice to have him cover the better TEs out there...

GDC
8/29/2006, 10:36 AM
Good Lord, gdc! Other people want to post, too! ;)

I think Nic is up to 225, but I'm not certain. Either way, he hits like a LB, so he'll be fine. It would be nice to have him cover the better TEs out there...

I just like to put up Sooner articles some fans may not have access to.:)

FlatheadSooner
8/29/2006, 11:30 AM
I just like to put up Sooner articles some fans may not have access to.:)

Danka shoen!

CtheB
8/29/2006, 12:13 PM

Don't we primarily run a 4-2-5 anyway?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 12:21 PM
not since 2003

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 12:28 PM
Venables = 4-3

Do we still run that "Tampa Bay" cover 2 that everyone talks about? Man, I get tired of hearing that without people explaining what the hell makes it different from other defenses.

MikeInNorman
8/29/2006, 12:35 PM
not since 2003

True dat.

Watching the '01 OB on Sunday made me pine for the days when we had two bad, bad men holding down the LB position and two MORE bad, bad men (Ontei and TRRW) roaming the secondary as hybrid safety/linebackers, knocking the living hell out of any thing that moved. Though it had its flaws, I liked that style a lot.

Brent's conservative, linebacker-focused 4-3, in which we play 3 backers about 80% of the time, is the defensive equivalent of the I formation. Maybe depth will force BV into allowing some of those "nicklebackers" back on the field.

Oh the irony of me complaining that one of our coaches isn't "creative" enough. ;)

OUGreg723
8/29/2006, 12:37 PM
last I heard, Harris was 223+lbs. who knows though.

GDC
8/29/2006, 12:40 PM
The article I posted said 230.

tulsaoilerfan
8/29/2006, 04:15 PM
if he's making plays, they will find a position for him; maybe we finally have someone to play the Roy position?

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 01:58 AM
I think we went to the 4-3 because of OUr lack of quality depth at DB, not because Brent is too conservative. We didn't have enough solid safeties to play 3 the bulk of the time. I think we see more nickel this year, because some of OUr best talent is in the secondary. We finally have some lock-down cover corners again. I see some seriously aggressive blitz packages this year (especially considering what we'll have on the D-Line). Nic may be OUr next Roy. (Fingers Crossed)

Egeo
8/30/2006, 02:14 AM
we blitzed a ton last year

GDC
8/30/2006, 08:08 AM
OU Notebook: Quinn to Montana
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/30/2006

J.D. Quinn, the offensive lineman dismissed from the team prior to preseason camp for violating NCAA extra-benefit rules, has apparently found a new home.

Quinn will enroll at Division I-AA Montana, according to an ESPN.com report Tuesday, meaning he can play this season for the Grizzlies if he is reinstated by the NCAA.

Quinn lost his eligibility when he and teammate Rhett Bomar were booted for earning money for work they did not do at the Norman car dealership Big Red Sports and Imports.

Montana must apply for Quinn's reinstatement, and then wait for the NCAA's ruling. Quinn, who started four games as an OU freshman last year and was expected to regain a starting position on this year's offensive line, would have had to sit out a year had he enrolled at a Division I-A school.

Bomar enrolled at Division I-AA Sam Houston State on Monday.

Class act: One of the reasons the Sooners anticipate a more polished Paul Thompson at quarterback this year came to light Tuesday.

"With my schedule, I have a lot more time to watch film," Thompson said. "Two-a-days until now, I've been in the film room every day

for hours. So I feel real comfortable with what (opponents) are bringing."

Why all the free time?

"With him being a (fifth-year) senior, he only needs two classes to graduate," offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said. "So we've asked him when the opportunity presents itself to come in and see, 'Here's what we're seeing on third down. Here's what we see in the scoring zone. Here's what we like, but what do you like?'

"I think getting him around us and him hearing our interaction -- our protection concerns and why, our blitz concerns and why, or why the ball needs to be going certain places to get certain people involved -- gives him understanding."

Two of a kind: Head coach Bob Stoops announced on his weekly radio show Tuesday night that Michael Cohen and Mike Knall could both punt against UAB on Saturday night. His inclination is to use Cohen on distance kicks and Knall in field-position situations.

Earlier Tuesday, Stoops said he had been encouraged by both punters' preseason camps.

"They both have competed really well and have made each other better," Stoops said..

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/30/2006, 10:39 AM
I think we went to the 4-3 because of OUr lack of quality depth at DB, not because Brent is too conservative. We didn't have enough solid safeties to play 3 the bulk of the time. I think we see more nickel this year, because some of OUr best talent is in the secondary. We finally have some lock-down cover corners again. I see some seriously aggressive blitz packages this year (especially considering what we'll have on the D-Line). Nic may be OUr next Roy. (Fingers Crossed)

we have a 4-3 because he is the linebackers coach. our previous DC was the secondary coach and we ran a 4-2-5. the only way brent could get more aggressive blitzing is to bring 8 instead of 7...

Egeo
8/30/2006, 10:44 AM
have either of you guys been told by stoops or venerables why there was a change from the nickel package to a pro one?

MikeInNorman
8/30/2006, 11:02 AM
we have a 4-3 because he is the linebackers coach. our previous DC was the secondary coach and we ran a 4-2-5. the only way brent could get more aggressive blitzing is to bring 8 instead of 7...

We have a winner, Johnny.

Sadly, the winner on this board is the same guy every time.

jkm: the Ken Jennings of SoonerFans.

Egeo
8/30/2006, 11:41 AM
im sure i read an article that one of the coaches said that (at least part) of the reason was that the db's we had were liabilities in run defense

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 06:51 PM
we have a 4-3 because he is the linebackers coach. our previous DC was the secondary coach and we ran a 4-2-5.

So why the apparent focus on the nickel in the offseason? It isn't like we DIDN'T run any 4-3 during Mike's time as the DC. I'm probably wrong, but I think we see more 4-2-5 this year because of the talent boom in the secondary. And by aggressive blitzing I mean more along the lines of what we saw pre-2004. So much confusion that opposing QBs had no idea where the pressure was going to come from next.