PDA

View Full Version : Brian Britt doesn't think OU is #1

PrideTuba
8/28/2006, 09:46 PM
Brian Britt was talking in practice the other day about the gesture where OU fans put their index finger in the air. He said something to the Pride along the lines of, "keep in mind this does not mean WE ARE NUMBER ONE, it represents the fact that we are all united as one body supporting our school."

Why he is still employed, I do not know, but something has to be done. He is taking away every shred of Pride the "Pride" has for this school. A tuba player was playing crazy train very loud and blatty on his way back to the trailer to put his horn up after the big red rally. Brian got into his face and yelled at him saying how embarrassing it was for him to play like that and to never do it again. I dont think it was right for him to be playing like that, but I think it was worse for Brian to get in his face and yell at him in front of everybody, it just shows how immature Brian really is. Soon ill have a list of all the shows the Pride is doing this season and I will post them so everybody knows what week to get a hot dog.

Anyways I know some people are tired of this subject, but I know that others are not tired of it. So I will keep it going until he is no longer employed by the University.

http://www.FireBrianBritt.com

bri
8/28/2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah, but was he drowning kittens while he did it?

LilSooner
8/28/2006, 09:49 PM
paging dolemite. paging mr. dolemite.

oh BTW I agree.

OklahomaTuba
8/28/2006, 09:50 PM
That guy has some real issues it sounds like.

So which poll should we base our finger pointange on, the coachs or the media?

PrideTuba
8/28/2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah, but was he drowning kittens while he did it?

I dont think he did this time, but I wouldnt be surprised if he pulled something like that out of his bag of tricks.

cofCtuba
8/28/2006, 09:55 PM
None of that stuff surprises me, pretty typical. I went to the rally thursday night. I went to the scrimmage before too and Paul Thompson looked really good I thought. But anyways, this is my first year out of the Pride, and it was so quiet. When I was in high school (pre-Britt) they were so loud at the games. I mean, it really shocked ya, but now it's just like a symphony band or something out there. I was disappointed, it really wasn't much of a rally when it came to the band stirrin folks emotions. I thought President Boren's speech was cool though, it was long, but he talked some crap about texas' band that was really funny. It was very contradictory to what Brian Britt always said about them, he always said to respect texas and here our President is makin fun of the way thir band marches! I thought it was really funny.

picasso
8/28/2006, 10:08 PM
is he still hosting American Idol?

proud gonzo
8/28/2006, 10:09 PM
what the ****?

excuse me, sir, but we ARE number one, thank you very much.

GottaHavePride
8/28/2006, 10:10 PM
That guy has some real issues it sounds like.

So which poll should we base our finger pointange on, the coachs or the media?

Dammit, I don't HAVE 22 fingers! ;)

PrideTrombone
8/28/2006, 10:17 PM
what the ****?

excuse me, sir, but we ARE number one, thank you very much.

Exactly. It's a symbol of our unwavering belief that we are better than everyone else no matter what evidence anyone might have to the contrary.

GottaHavePride
8/28/2006, 10:23 PM
Exactly. It's a symbol of our unwavering belief that we are better than everyone else no matter what evidence anyone might have to the contrary.

**** YEAH! [/Team America]

proud gonzo
8/28/2006, 10:28 PM

anybody can proudly hold up one finger when they're actually number one at something. :rolleyes:

dolemitesooner
8/28/2006, 10:29 PM
wTF ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME i MEAN WHAT A ****ING DOUCE BAG THIS IS SO RETARED...i AM GOING TO GO TO THE BAND SECTION AND HAVE WORDS WITH THAT MOTHER ****ER

bri
8/28/2006, 10:46 PM
Hey doleo, would you be a lamb and punch that f*cktard in the junk for me?

Thanks in advance.

dolemitesooner
8/28/2006, 11:01 PM
I might i mean ****

Ike
8/29/2006, 02:12 AM
ya know what the pride needs in their shows this year?

more cowbell.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 08:21 AM
ya know what the pride needs in their shows this year?

more cowbell.

that would be great, but the cowbell might drown out the rest of the band. Ill let everybody decide if they want to take that as good or bad.

SoonerBK
8/29/2006, 08:57 AM
Since last week the only thing I have been listening to is Pride CD's. to get pumped for the season. I have them all back to 87'. It is intersting because the bands back in the 80's and 90's would just rip your face off. Its like the players were ****ed off or something. In around 01' or 02' you can just here a difference in thier playing, it is not nearly as intense.

OklahomaTuba
8/29/2006, 09:01 AM
Its the *****fication of the Pride, no doubt.

Britt sounds like a liberal panzy. ;)

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 01:25 PM
Its the *****fication of the Pride, no doubt.

Yea, 100% right. Just like SoonerBK said, the Pride used to shred you to pieces they were so loud, but they have lost and had that taken away from them.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/29/2006, 01:30 PM
In addition to the face-removing volume, The Pride used to be able to do really ornery things. Shenanigans, even. They were very entertaining as far as the pranks and stuff. The banter with other bands...all that.

:(

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 01:33 PM
Who is this Brian Britt character and why do I care about him?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/29/2006, 01:34 PM
He's the head band dude and he's a hater 'o fun.

bri
8/29/2006, 01:39 PM
http://static.flickr.com/38/124912234_796570e7ab_m.jpg

This college marching band goes to 11...

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 01:40 PM
He's the head band dude and he's a hater 'o fun.

We have a band???

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 01:41 PM
All I'm saying is, if you've ever been down on the field with Mr. Britt during a game, you won't think he hates fun. There's the PC face he gives the band/students/donors/faculty, and then there's the drumline member that still yells profanity at bad calls.

Believe me, I wish he could show more of that all the time as well, but I think he's getting a lot of pressure to be a saint from our favorite guy Joe C.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/29/2006, 01:44 PM
:les: CASTIGLIOWNED!!!

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 01:46 PM
It's the band...who cares?

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 01:46 PM
:( I agree that the Pride has lost some of its luster from the Coach age, but I don't believe that's all Mr. Britt's fault.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/29/2006, 01:48 PM
It's the band...who cares?

BOOOOOOO! :mad:

Heh.

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 03:31 PM
BOOOOOOO! :mad:

Heh.

Just havin' some fun.

Play On, Pride!!!

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 03:31 PM
:( I agree that the Pride has lost some of its luster from the Coach age, but I don't believe that's all Mr. Britt's fault.

Thats where we disagree, I do believe a tiny bit of the problem is coming from "upstairs" but the rest of it is Britts fault. I also think he has lost everything he once had when he was in Pride, these days he is two faced and 100% fake, to everybody.

I went to a wedding this summer and one of the bridesmaids goes to OU and she and britt had a "falling out" and from what she said he basically does not like her anymore. Well this summer her brother tried to get into the school of music and since brian controls admittance into the school, he did not let this kid in. These people made phone call after phone call, sent emails, left messages, and finally they called and the secretary said im going to go hand him the phone. She went to his office and told him they were on the phone and made his phone go to voicemail. This kid wasnt just some ordinary run of the mill person wanting to be in the school of music, he was a 3 year all-stater from Oklahoma, and had all sorts of leadership scholarships. What did he do? He went to UCO and got $30,000 a year in scholarships.

There was a girl that came from either Virginia or California, I dont remember, and she came to try out for the colorguard. One of her parents was in the Pride and this girl said at some new member meeting thing that the sole reason she came to OU/Oklahoma was to be in the Pride. The colorguard cut 1 girl this year, they cut her. Well if she was that bad why would they want her? The fact of the matter is, she wasnt that bad AND the colorguard accepted a girl that quit Pride in a previous year because she, "couldnt handle it." One of the staff members also said they figure the girl would quit again this year too. So why would you take her back and chance it when there is a perfectly good replacement? No Idea.

Maybe im completely wrong about the first story, maybe there was something else that happened, but thats the way I heard and understood it. That second story doesnt have much to do with Brian except the fact that he has final say in all cuts. He could have said, "no, I want this girl to be in Pride we can find something for her to do." The staff even let the tuba player that got cut stay on "staff" meaning he will run the metronome, they also let a cut drummer stay on "staff" as well. I find it pretty hard to believe this girl was so putrid at colorguard they wouldnt even allow her to be on "staff" for this year, knowing her only reason for being at OU was to be in Pride. Also, to make an example, there is a tuba player in Pride this year that was in it in 03 and 04 and he never learned Oklahoma. If somebody like that can make Pride, why cant this girl?

There are also people saying, why does it matter, its just the band? My answer is, because the band is as important to this school as anything else, and for the simple fact that the Pride represents the University and the state. The Pride used to be really good and now they are mediocre, people enjoy the Pride and when they do/sound bad they want them to get better. I and a bunch of other people believe the reason they have declined is because the leadership is terrible and the director is taking them nowhere.

Ok im done, sorry for going on so long.

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2006, 03:39 PM
This might be a good thread to get this answer: When and where do the drumline warm up before they go to the all band warmup? Is it a set amount of time before kick off, or does it vary. I want my fiance to see it.

Thanks!

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 03:44 PM
the pride schedule says, the drumline will warm up at 3:45pm at the Union and im assuming that means in the grass by the Union.

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 03:44 PM
There are also people saying, why does it matter, its just the band...

Man, I was just joshin'.

I'm not a huge band fan, but I don't knock other people for doing what they love. I respect what you guys do.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 03:46 PM
Man, I was just joshin'.

I'm not a huge band fan, but I don't knock other people for doing what they love. I respect what you guys do.

No I totally understand and saw your post before mine about how you were kidding. There are still people that think that and would probably ask it anyways so I left my whole deal about it in the post. Thanks though, the kids in Pride work hard, I just wish they could get more out of it.

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2006, 03:46 PM
the pride schedule says, the drumline will warm up at 3:45pm at the Union and im assuming that means in the grass by the Union.

Thank you!

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 03:48 PM
Thank you!

Youre welcome, glad I could help.

badger
8/29/2006, 04:34 PM
this will be my only post to this thread:

LOOK AT ESPN.COM's HOMEPAGE RIGHT NOW!

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 04:57 PM
Thats where we disagree, I do believe a tiny bit of the problem is coming from "upstairs" but the rest of it is Britts fault. I also think he has lost everything he once had when he was in Pride, these days he is two faced and 100% fake, to everybody.

I went to a wedding this summer and one of the bridesmaids goes to OU and she and britt had a "falling out" and from what she said he basically does not like her anymore. Well this summer her brother tried to get into the school of music and since brian controls admittance into the school, he did not let this kid in. These people made phone call after phone call, sent emails, left messages, and finally they called and the secretary said im going to go hand him the phone. She went to his office and told him they were on the phone and made his phone go to voicemail. This kid wasnt just some ordinary run of the mill person wanting to be in the school of music, he was a 3 year all-stater from Oklahoma, and had all sorts of leadership scholarships. What did he do? He went to UCO and got $30,000 a year in scholarships.

There was a girl that came from either Virginia or California, I dont remember, and she came to try out for the colorguard. One of her parents was in the Pride and this girl said at some new member meeting thing that the sole reason she came to OU/Oklahoma was to be in the Pride. The colorguard cut 1 girl this year, they cut her. Well if she was that bad why would they want her? The fact of the matter is, she wasnt that bad AND the colorguard accepted a girl that quit Pride in a previous year because she, "couldnt handle it." One of the staff members also said they figure the girl would quit again this year too. So why would you take her back and chance it when there is a perfectly good replacement? No Idea.

Maybe im completely wrong about the first story, maybe there was something else that happened, but thats the way I heard and understood it. That second story doesnt have much to do with Brian except the fact that he has final say in all cuts. He could have said, "no, I want this girl to be in Pride we can find something for her to do." The staff even let the tuba player that got cut stay on "staff" meaning he will run the metronome, they also let a cut drummer stay on "staff" as well. I find it pretty hard to believe this girl was so putrid at colorguard they wouldnt even allow her to be on "staff" for this year, knowing her only reason for being at OU was to be in Pride. Also, to make an example, there is a tuba player in Pride this year that was in it in 03 and 04 and he never learned Oklahoma. If somebody like that can make Pride, why cant this girl?

There are also people saying, why does it matter, its just the band? My answer is, because the band is as important to this school as anything else, and for the simple fact that the Pride represents the University and the state. The Pride used to be really good and now they are mediocre, people enjoy the Pride and when they do/sound bad they want them to get better. I and a bunch of other people believe the reason they have declined is because the leadership is terrible and the director is taking them nowhere.

I had not heard the first story and, if true, that is disappointing. I personally would reserve judgement until I heard both sides, but I'm a bit biased.

The second I may have heard about from a colorguard girl, and yes, she was THAT awful. My friend may have been talking about someone else, but I heard something similar about this.

Again, I think Mr. Britt is under a lot of pressure, especially with all the screwups that some members have had during his tenure... When Coach was in, there was a lot more leniency towards that stuff, but now that we're good again, and there's all this PC crap going around, we have to be extra careful not to hack off a donor or offend anyone.

Nobody's perfect, but I take a bit of offense to people saying he's awful. :D

mrowl
8/29/2006, 05:05 PM
but now that we're good again,

I really hope you are talking about the Football team, and not the Pride. :D

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 05:06 PM
I really hope you are talking about the Football team, and not the Pride. :D

Can't it be both? :O

:D At least they dropped the "Latin" show for a Queen one.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 05:20 PM
I had not heard the first story and, if true, that is disappointing. I personally would reserve judgement until I heard both sides, but I'm a bit biased.

The second I may have heard about from a colorguard girl, and yes, she was THAT awful. My friend may have been talking about someone else, but I heard something similar about this.

Again, I think Mr. Britt is under a lot of pressure, especially with all the screwups that some members have had during his tenure... When Coach was in, there was a lot more leniency towards that stuff, but now that we're good again, and there's all this PC crap going around, we have to be extra careful not to hack off a donor or offend anyone.

Nobody's perfect, but I take a bit of offense to people saying he's awful. :D

Yea there could be a missing piece to that first story and im not so stubborn to believe he is that rotten, but I heard this from the kids sister at a wedding so im sure she abbreviated a bit. The second story, she could be horrible but they can do something. Keep her on staff, make her an alternate, when there are 2 and 3 year members in the band that do not know how to play Oklahoma, something is wrong. What the guard does isnt extremely difficult, with a week to practice it cant be too hard and with time I think she could have learned the routines. If her sole reason to be here is to be in that band and they take a girl thats quit and they believe will quit again, thats pretty awful.

There is no doubt Brian is under a lot of pressure, anybody with a job like that, even high school directors are under a lot of pressure. It still does not mean he can act the way he does, and im sorry if you get offended, but I think he is the absolute worst person for this kind of job. He is simply not mature enough to work at this level, he is manipulative, fake, and two faced. I am sorry if you take offense to that, a lot of people will and a lot of people wont, but that is what I believe and everything I have personally seen him do says nothing to counter act those thoughts.

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 06:20 PM
well, if he really is what you say he is, why don't you go and talk to him about it? If you want something and do not try to talk to him personally, then it's your fault. (i'm not incriminating you; just stating a fact, like going to see a professor about hw.) But if he doesn't make time to see you, then it's his fault. I know i've been able to talk to him so just stop by his office and tell him what you think.

Anyway, if it is all his fault, why has nobody tried to get rid of him? I think it's because he is doing what is asked of him. He was a member of the Pride in the 80s so he knows how it used to sound. So, I just assume his superiors, i.e. Joe C, are telling him what to do.

mrowl
8/29/2006, 06:23 PM
well, if he really is what you say he is, why don't you go and talk to him about it? If you want something and do not try to talk to him personally, then it's your fault. (i'm not incriminating you; just stating a fact, like going to see a professor about hw.) But if he doesn't make time to see you, then it's his fault. I know i've been able to talk to him so just stop by his office and tell him what you think.

Anyway, if it is all his fault, why has nobody tried to get rid of him? I think it's because he is doing what is asked of him. He was a member of the Pride in the 80s so he knows how it used to sound. So, I just assume his superiors, i.e. Joe C, are telling him what to do.

Brian? is that you???

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 06:39 PM

I know several people that have gone and talked to him about things just like this, what did he do? He took over the conversation and didnt let them get out what they needed to get out, then they left the meeting with a feeling of getting nothing accomplished. If you are one of his "favorites" because yes, he does play favorites, then talking to him solves all of your problems. If you are somebody that has had negative feelings or has caused him a little trouble before then talking to him solves absolutely nothing. Brian is not mature enough or capable enough to have a conversation about matters like this, so im not going to waste my time and get angry to go sit in his office and tell him something he wont listen to anyways.

Anyway, if it is all his fault, why has nobody tried to get rid of him?

these people are trying:

When Brian found out about this website, he knew the owner, his phone number, address, everything (sadly, I am not the owner) Did he try to contact this person and get things resolved? No, he sent 2 very immature emails to the entire pride incriminating the owner saying he was hateful and vicious. Want proof? read Brians 2 emails on that site. By sending those emails, Brian acted just like the people he says you should not act like, thats the kind of person he is. Well, Brian finally called the owner of that website, but only after he found out from a 3rd party that the owner went to President Boren personally and President Boren had nothing against that website.

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 06:46 PM
Brian? is that you???

ha. very funny. unfortunately, i'm a sooner who was raised in saxet almost all my life and didn't follow OU until a few years ago when i decided to attend college here. Since then, i've only known the last few years in terms of how the pride sounds. I wish i knew more of how it sounded in the past so i could offer a better rebuttal. alas, i cannot. I'm saying i just respect him for being able to take all the scrutiny that you and others dish out, which would have made many other people fold under the pressure.

don't get me wrong, i disagree with what he said about the #1 thing. But, it's just as easy for me to just go up and tell him, on the side, and say he's wrong about that comment as it is for him to make that statement.

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 06:50 PM
yeah, there's a webpage, but I was actually referring to those in power who have the power to do so. They haven't made any changes and it seems as if they are not going to any time soon.

If I am one of his favorites, then I guess I should use that to get some of your points across. maybe he'll listen to one of his "favorites."

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 07:04 PM
yeah, there's a webpage, but I was actually referring to those in power who have the power to do so. They haven't made any changes and it seems as if they are not going to any time soon.

If I am one of his favorites, then I guess I should use that to get some of your points across. maybe he'll listen to one of his "favorites."

I said favorites thinking you were in Pride because 90% of the people that have said, go talk to him in person were or have been in Pride. So yea, if you want to go talk to him and get our points across that would great. I know the guy that met with President Boren, and I have been told that President Boren will be taking a closer look more or less. If you really want to know tell me and ill PM you with more of what was said.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 07:07 PM
How long has Britt been in charge?

mrowl
8/29/2006, 07:08 PM
How long has Britt been in charge?

4 years longer than he should have.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 07:08 PM
4 years longer than he should have.

haha, yes

but yea, since 2001, Coach's last year was 2000 when we went to the Orange Bowl.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 07:14 PM
Just curious. I am only 19 years old, but have been going to games since I was a kid, and it seems like the pride has been slowly going downhill. It seems that it was around '01 or '02 that things started to change to me. IMHO though, I have always loved Grand Old Flag, but thats just my take. Things seem to get stale by midseason, especially if you are going to every home game and the Texas game seeing the same routines week-in and week-out. I have heard criticism from members of the Pride about A&M's routine being the same everyweek that it isn't impressive, but what they don't realize that if you aren't traveling to College Station to see the OU game, then you get to see A&M once every 700 days. I just know that things aren't the way they used to be back in the 90's when I was first introduced to OU football.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 07:33 PM
Just curious. I am only 19 years old, but have been going to games since I was a kid, and it seems like the pride has been slowly going downhill. It seems that it was around '01 or '02 that things started to change to me. IMHO though, I have always loved Grand Old Flag, but thats just my take. Things seem to get stale by midseason, especially if you are going to every home game and the Texas game seeing the same routines week-in and week-out. I have heard criticism from members of the Pride about A&M's routine being the same everyweek that it isn't impressive, but what they don't realize that if you aren't traveling to College Station to see the OU game, then you get to see A&M once every 700 days. I just know that things aren't the way they used to be back in the 90's when I was first introduced to OU football.

I like the A&M band because there is a ton of tradition, and its true what they do isnt hard, but people that dont much about band or marching dont know that. I think their a good band musically even if I dont like what they play, and for people that only see them every other year I can see how they get excited to see something thats not "normal".

LilSooner
8/29/2006, 07:36 PM
The pride sucks, and it's not the musicians its Britt. You are not a concert band, you don't play in competitions, your sole job is to get the crowd fired up.

Mr. Britt, you suck. Thanks for killing the pride.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 07:53 PM
The pride sucks, and it's not the musicians its Britt. You are not a concert band, you don't play in competition, your sole job is to get the crowd fired up.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 08:02 PM
The pride sucks, and it's not the musicians its Britt. You are not a concert band, you don't play in competitions, your sole job is to get the crowd fired up.

Basically, thats what im saying.

apusooner
8/29/2006, 08:02 PM
I like the A&M band because there is a ton of tradition, and its true what they do isnt hard, but people that dont much about band or marching dont know that. I think their a good band musically even if I dont like what they play, and for people that only see them every other year I can see how they get excited to see something thats not "normal".

1. It's not hard? If the pride tried to do a show like that, the local band repair shops would be up to the roof in bent trombone slides and crushed trumpet bells etc.... not to mention the tuba players would be sent to the hospital for back injuries. I remember trying to pull off a show similar to what they do in 2001? i think. it was awful. nobody could figure out what to do. if it was so easy, it would have looked great. but it didnt. we sounded pretty good, but it looked awful. i remember getting run into numerous times by the same idiot. but it was supposedly easy.

2. Good musically? They are terrible. One of the worst sounding bands ever. My jr high played better in tune.

I have agreed with everything else you have said except these two statements. i guess a tuba player wouldnt know any better than to think they were good musically;) thats why you played tuba:D i hope you take that as a joke.

LilSooner
8/29/2006, 08:10 PM
Basically, thats what im saying.

Then I agree with you.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 08:16 PM
1. It's not hard? If the pride tried to do a show like that, the local band repair shops would be up to the roof in bent trombone slides and crushed trumpet bells etc.... not to mention the tuba players would be sent to the hospital for back injuries. I remember trying to pull off a show similar to what they do in 2001? i think. it was awful. nobody could figure out what to do. if it was so easy, it would have looked great. but it didnt. we sounded pretty good, but it looked awful. i remember getting run into numerous times by the same idiot. but it was supposedly easy.

2. Good musically? They are terrible. One of the worst sounding bands ever. My jr high played better in tune.

I have agreed with everything else you have said except these two statements. i guess a tuba player wouldnt know any better than to think they were good musically;) thats why you played tuba:D i hope you take that as a joke.

haha of course i take it as a joke, all i want to do is play low notes and play super loud. We had a part in a show i did in 03 that did the weaving and marching back and fourth and it was so easy its unbelievable. There is also a tuba player from texas who marched like that at his high school, he said compared to the way the pride marches, the AM style marching is nothing. He had a hell of a time learning our corps style of marching, but he finally got it and is good at it now.

clambe00
8/29/2006, 08:31 PM
ya

mrowl
8/29/2006, 08:33 PM
ya

:pop:

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 10:06 PM
the only thing that bothers me is this: we play music that was played 5+ years ago. It just seems as if we keep recycling shows. I'm just wondering if that is just a money issue or if Roland Barrett, our arranger, doesn't want to or doesn't have time to do that every summer.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 10:28 PM
Ive heard a few things, but I dont really remember them, but I know Roland is really busy and I think Brian just regurgitates the same themes because he thinks it works.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 10:46 PM
When is the pride going to do a tribute to Chicago (the band)?

apusooner
8/29/2006, 10:47 PM
i think it is because it's easier. doesnt cost as much. roland isn't exactly cheap. they don't have to write drill if they don't want and they already know the music(as does the crowd and most of the band memebers that stay for more than two years.) i played some of the same songs twice between 99 and 01. and they are unoriginal and lazy. Dr. Stephenson(theory teacher) said it best "musicians are inherently lazy" i can vouch for that myself.

apusooner
8/29/2006, 10:48 PM
When is the pride going to do a tribute to Chicago (the band)?
that would make way too much sense. and it would sound bad, thus not doing any justice to Chicago. plus, they would probably pick songs that werent hits, which is kinda hard, seeing as they had two cd's worth of them. i can see it now, the feature twirler, spinning a baton to Colour my World. gross.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 10:54 PM
that would make way too much sense. and it would sound bad, thus not doing any justice to Chicago. plus, they would probably pick songs that werent hits, which is kinda hard, seeing as they had two cd's worth of them. i can see it now, the feature twirler, spinning a baton to Colour my World. gross.

I guess you're right. We will have to stick with Disney music. That's what halftime is all about isn't it? The Incredibles? :rolleyes:

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 10:57 PM
We did a Chicago tribute show in 03, we played Free, Fanfare and Overture, and Love is a Crime. I dont think Fanfare and Overture is an actual Chicago song, if I remember right it was just a bunch of pieces of songs.

PrideTuba
8/29/2006, 10:58 PM
I guess you're right. We will have to stick with Disney music. That's what halftime is all about isn't it? The Incredibles? :rolleyes:

They are doing Johnny Quest this year, im trying to get my hands on a list of shows, once I do ill post them all.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 11:03 PM
We did a Chicago tribute show in 03, we played Free, Fanfare and Overture, and Love is a Crime. I dont think Fanfare and Overture is an actual Chicago song, if I remember right it was just a bunch of pieces of songs.

I'm talking 25 or 6 to 4, Saturday in the Park, and Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?. Johnny Quest? It sucks that halftime is shorter now, I may have to head to the bathroom a little earlier.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 11:06 PM
As a student, is there a place where we can complain about this sort of thing and the people who run things? Does anybody at all have an input on what is played or do Britt and the other head hanchos assume what the fans want to hear?

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 11:19 PM
here's the list of shows even though they already changed it up with queen starting the year:

http://f5.putfile.com/thumb/8/24100131530.gif (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3286574)

That was the projected list at pre-camp.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 11:21 PM
Oh man, the Chronicles of Narnia! :rolleyes:

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 11:22 PM
As a student, is there a place where we can complain about this sort of thing and the people who run things? Does anybody at all have an input on what is played or do Britt and the other head hanchos assume what the fans want to hear?

There is a committee for the movie show, which I didn't have time to be a part of, that figures out that show. As for the others, my guess is as good as yours.

GottaHavePride
8/29/2006, 11:29 PM
1. Part of me is thinking "argh! this topic comes up every year at this time!" another part of me thinks "Hey, it's nice to see that poeple care enough about this to still get ****ed off about it." I think another music professor summed it up best when he said "Of course I don't want to go back to the 19th century, when audiences liked to riot and set buildings on fire, but I really appreciate that they cared deeply enough about music to riot and burn down your theater if they thought you were terrible at it."

2. I think part of what we're seeing is indicative of a much larger problem creeping through the entire music industry, at all levels. Too much emphasis is being placed on technical perfection and accuracy. And to achieve the technical perfection being required in the industry right now, musicians are forced to "play it safe" - meaning you wind up with technically flawless and emotionally boring performances. And I think that mindset is a steaming pile of ****.

GottaHavePride
8/29/2006, 11:30 PM
There is a committee for the movie show, which I didn't have time to be a part of, that figures out that show. As for the others, my guess is as good as yours.

Britt and the other directors program all the other shows.

GottaHavePride
8/29/2006, 11:33 PM
here's the list of shows even though they already changed it up with queen starting the year:

http://f5.putfile.com/thumb/8/24100131530.gif (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3286574)

Robin Hood again? What the hell? They just played it in '91 (when the movie came out... 15 YEARS AGO!) AND '99. All the freaking movies coming out in the last two or three years with amazing soundtracks and we can't find a new one? What about The Last Samurai? sure, I hate Tom Cruise too, but the music was un-freakin-believable!

Dammit! I told myself I wasn't gonna protest.

apusooner
8/29/2006, 11:34 PM

like i said, hits. free is the closest one to a hit. i am a huge chicago fan, and i havent heard of the other two. i remember seeing that show and thinking it was quite craptastic.

hurricane'bone
8/29/2006, 11:35 PM
Robin Hood again? What the hell? They just played it in '91 (when the movie came out... 15 YEARS AGO!) AND '99.

I can almost guarantee who wanted to play Robin Hood.

apusooner
8/29/2006, 11:36 PM

that is a terrible set list. wow. queen is the only one worth mentioning. and they were ghey.

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 11:42 PM
haha.

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2006, 11:47 PM
Robin Hood again? What the hell? They just played it in '91 (when the movie came out... 15 YEARS AGO!) AND '99. All the freaking movies coming out in the last two or three years with amazing soundtracks and we can't find a new one? What about The Last Samurai? sure, I hate Tom Cruise too, but the music was un-freakin-believable!

Dammit! I told myself I wasn't gonna protest.

That's the tree I'm barking up. There are so many awesome soundtracks, and we get Robin Hood, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Cars. Not knocking the movies but there are so many out there would be so much better, I want a reason to not go to the concourse area hop on the phone and talk to my whorn fan about all the other scores that are taking place during our game. And I agree 100%, The Last Samurai has an awesome soundtrack.

GottaHavePride
8/29/2006, 11:48 PM
I can almost guarantee who wanted to play Robin Hood.

I hope she's really hot.

And I agree with apu about the set list - too many repeats. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 12:09 AM
Brian Britt is a DICK...

I think we used the term DWE to describe someone like him. I haven't thought of that term since UG days, but yeah, Brian is a DWE!!!

Waiting for the email barrage from BB in 3...2...1...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 12:16 AM
I know several people that have gone and talked to him about things just like this, what did he do? He took over the conversation and didnt let them get out what they needed to get out, then they left the meeting with a feeling of getting nothing accomplished. If you are one of his "favorites" because yes, he does play favorites, then talking to him solves all of your problems. If you are somebody that has had negative feelings or has caused him a little trouble before then talking to him solves absolutely nothing. Brian is not mature enough or capable enough to have a conversation about matters like this, so im not going to waste my time and get angry to go sit in his office and tell him something he wont listen to anyways.

these people are trying:

When Brian found out about this website, he knew the owner, his phone number, address, everything (sadly, I am not the owner) Did he try to contact this person and get things resolved? No, he sent 2 very immature emails to the entire pride incriminating the owner saying he was hateful and vicious. Want proof? read Brians 2 emails on that site. By sending those emails, Brian acted just like the people he says you should not act like, thats the kind of person he is. Well, Brian finally called the owner of that website, but only after he found out from a 3rd party that the owner went to President Boren personally and President Boren had nothing against that website.

With all due respect to middle school band directors (Mrs THA was one). What do you expect from a middle school band director? I think he is over his head and deluded with power...

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 12:30 AM

Strike up the Band? WTF?? They still play that gay-*** song? It was gay in the 70s and its still gay! At least St Louis Blues sounded good (even though we played like every other game...)

Uhmmm, here's a suggestion for Game 7 LosuR...
Oklahoma OUs version is better and The Pride used to play it better.
Aggie Fight Song - Full version (because The Pride could play it better than the aggie-up band and the aggies have never heard their full fight song).
Boomer - to blow them off the field...

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 12:41 AM

I seriously have to disagree with you when you say that A&M shows are hard. I did 3 years of ROTC drill competition in HS and I did 5 years of the Pride. The Pride could learn A&M's 2 annual shows in about 3 weeks and do it every bit as well as they do. It's just follow the leader and making right angle flank turns.

I remember when we did that show in '01 and I recall that several people had individual problems, but even the tuba section was looking pretty good doing it by gameday. And the moves we were doing were harder than most of the aggies normal drill anyway. The reason people had trouble understanding the instructions was because there was a completely ineffective, though nice, assistant band director up on the tower giving out those instructions. I'm sorry somebody ran into you a lot. They were obviously a moron because I saw fat tuba guys hitting their spots every time.

All I'm saying is that I've done military marching, and I've done our corps style and our way is MUCH more difficult and MUCH MUCH harder to play instruments along with.

As for your second point, I agree that A&M sucks as musicians. So, to sum it all up, the aggies play easy music, march EASY drill (especially compared to what the Pride does), and despite these facts they are loved by fans everywhere for their uniqueness and impressive numbers.

apusooner
8/30/2006, 02:02 AM
did you see the show on tape? it was awful. i'm glad you could do it, but as a whole the band could not. even in our "bread and butter" drill, we couldn't make a straight line. watch pregame, the last few times i saw the band, there were no straight lines.its easy and its pretty much follow the leader. the prides marching has always been pretty bad. i don't think we could pull off an a&m type show.

the pride may do hard drill, but it never really looks right, so what's the point?

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 09:21 AM
With all due respect to middle school band directors (Mrs THA was one). What do you expect from a middle school band director? I think he is over his head and deluded with power...

I agree, middle school band directors have tough jobs I know I couldnt handle teaching kids that have never played, how to play or deal with any of their crap. Brian Britt belongs in middle school, he can not handle a college level position, he is not mature enough and the power has gone straight to his head.

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 09:25 AM
Brian Britt is a DICK...

I think we used the term DWE to describe someone like him. I haven't thought of that term since UG days, but yeah, Brian is a DWE!!!

Waiting for the email barrage from BB in 3...2...1...

I wouldnt count him out for sending emails, he is pretty immature and loves to show his true colors in those immature childish emails he sends. I highly doubt he will send one though, he will want to be what he calls, "the bigger man" and not get involved which means he has nothing to say to anybody because he cant think of anything that counter acts what was said here.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/30/2006, 10:10 AM
I love pregame. Send chills down my spine and gives me goosebumps. I used to stay in my seat at halftime and watch the show but not anymore. It looks like he could look into the stands and see the lack of butts in the seats and figure out he's not entertaining us.

Let the kids play loud and proud. Let them have fun.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 10:19 AM

Wow. Great story. Anything else that may or may not have happened that you want us to know? I love that your arguments are based on rumors, not facts, but then again, that is probably Mr. Britt's fault too.

Ive heard a few things, but I dont really remember them, but I know Roland is really busy and I think Brian just regurgitates the same themes because he thinks it works.

Wrong again. The reason shows are being regurgitated is because of copyright infringement. Ever since Napster, they have been going after everyone who does not pay royalties and get permission to user their songs. They are so extreme, they will have lawyers sit in stadiums of high school and colleges listening for their music. Sometimes, persmissions can take over a year to get, kind of difficult if you are wanting to play new stuff or plan a marching show.

My question to you is, if you hate the Pride so much, why are you still doing it?

mrowl
8/30/2006, 10:22 AM
Wow. Great story. Anything else that may or may not have happened that you want us to know? I love that your arguments are based on rumors, not facts, but then again, that is probably Mr. Britt's fault too.

its not a rumor that the pride sucks now. :pop:

1stTimeCaller
8/30/2006, 10:26 AM
I had no idea that this many people actually cared about the band. That said, I've always enjoyed them in pregame but don't really notice them during the game.

That and Brian was my 5th grade band director. I just remember him having really, really, really sweaty armpits. his shirts were always soaked when he would raise his arm up.

Soonrboy
8/30/2006, 10:29 AM
That drum sequence when the pride takes the field at the beginning of the game used to be so loud it would send chills down your spine. Last year, you could hardly hear it...bring back the LOUDNESS>

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 10:35 AM
its not a rumor that the pride sucks now. :pop:

I respectfully disagree with you.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 11:23 AM
There was a bad trend around when Roland stopped running practices and concentrated on arrangements. He started challenging the Pride to do more and more technical stuff. From "Emperor's New Groove" to "Free" he made us play things that were too technical to sound great on a field. I think that, along with the copyright issues have brought the total quality of the halftimes down.

As for not being loud/sucking/whatever, I'll trust other fans more than I do our own. When you hear something every week you tend to take it for granted, but every single week I hear from opposing fans that the Pride is among the best in the nation. I still remember showing up the pathetic Washington State band at the Rose Bowl, and hearing praise heaped on us from the LSU band at the Sugar Bowl, and they're widely regarded as the best in the SEC.

mrowl
8/30/2006, 11:35 AM

thats fine, but the majority of the users on this board, and every fan I talk to at last years games, disagree with you, don't you think its time for change?

TheBobbyTrain
8/30/2006, 12:08 PM
thats fine, but the majority of the users on this board, and every fan I talk to at last years games, disagree with you, don't you think its time for change?

probably not. those who still think the band is awesome are so delusional that they'll never change their minds.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 12:13 PM

I agree more with Norman Pride than I do with making a change. A majority of the users on this board represent a minority of Sooner fans.

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 12:29 PM
My question to you is, if you hate the Pride so much, why are you still doing it?

When have I ever said I hate the Pride? If I have, please tell me and im being serious. I like the Pride, I think the band is great. Its the directors and the direction the Pride is going is what I dont like. Im not in Pride and I havent been in Pride for 2 years, you want to know why I stopped doing it? Two reasons, class conflicts and it wasnt that fun anymore, granted I still had fun with my friends in band, band itself wasnt fun.

My stories come from people I personally know and have known for years who are still in Pride, some of them are section leaders and they let me know things that happen. I know the people that own http://www.FireBrianBritt.com and when things happen to/with that website they let me know. I also find things out from staff members, like the story of the guard girl, that came from somebody on staff. So if all of my stories are based on rumors then the staff must be lying, and we dont want a dishonest staff do we? I blame things on Brian Britt that are his fault, if somebody plays a wrong note, is that his fault? No, that is the fault of the person playing. If the band looks/sounds like total hell is that the directors fault? Yes. No matter what the band/directors do, if nobody likes what they are doing then they arent doing good enough. Their job to entertain and when they dont do that, they arent doing a good job and yes, that is Brians fault.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 12:31 PM
The problem is that you could go to different areas of the stadium and get different answers. Also, the way you word questions is important when asking random people. "Britt sucks? (y/n)" is a bit slanted, just like asking "How cool is the Pride?!!1".

What isn't slanted is that I still see kids asking for Pride members' autographs, people still show for the pregame concerts, people still line up for the parade, and people still go nuts during pregame. I'm not saying the Pride is perfect, but saying it sucks and that Mr. Britt is killing it just shows how few bands you've seen out there.

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 12:33 PM
I agree more with Norman Pride than I do with making a change. A majority of the users on this board represent a minority of Sooner fans.

The majority of people on this board are a minority of sooner fans, but there is also a major amount on fans that arent on this board that share the same feelings as this board.

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 12:38 PM
The problem is that you could go to different areas of the stadium and get different answers. Also, the way you word questions is important when asking random people. "Britt sucks? (y/n)" is a bit slanted, just like asking "How cool is the Pride?!!1".

What isn't slanted is that I still see kids asking for Pride members' autographs, people still show for the pregame concerts, people still line up for the parade, and people still go nuts during pregame. I'm not saying the Pride is perfect, but saying it sucks and that Mr. Britt is killing it just shows how few bands you've seen out there.

I would like to see the pregame concerts, but I have to get in line early for student seats. If I could, I would line up for the parade to watch the band go by because its fun and I enjoy watching bands. I do think Brian is killing the band, but I dont think the band sucks, I enjoy pregame as much as any fan out there.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 12:48 PM
See, to me, that just doesn't make sense. If you still like the Pride, how can Mr. Britt be killing it? I can understand a personal issue with the man - he does rub some people the wrong way - but membership is high, the musicality is just about where it always is, and they're representing the school well. Really, that's what they're supposed to do.

I think one of the problems is people's perceptions of what the Pride should be. It used to be that the Pride was there for us, the fans, primarily. However, Boren and Joe C have made it very clear to Mr. Britt that the Pride is supposed to be a symbol for the university. They need to be clean, they need to look and act nice, and they need to not offend. That's the whole PC think that I've been talking about.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 12:58 PM
My stories come from people I personally know and have known for years who are still in Pride, some of them are section leaders and they let me know things that happen. I know the people that own http://www.FireBrianBritt.com and when things happen to/with that website they let me know. I also find things out from staff members, like the story of the guard girl, that came from somebody on staff. So if all of my stories are based on rumors then the staff must be lying, and we dont want a dishonest staff do we? I blame things on Brian Britt that are his fault, if somebody plays a wrong note, is that his fault? No, that is the fault of the person playing. If the band looks/sounds like total hell is that the directors fault? Yes. No matter what the band/directors do, if nobody likes what they are doing then they arent doing good enough. Their job to entertain and when they dont do that, they arent doing a good job and yes, that is Brians fault.

Your earlier post said that you were not sure of the story, but yet you come on here and spill it over over the board. Your information is coming from other sources and you are not seeing this personally if you are not in band, but yet you come on here and spew your info like you know it personally, so to me, it sounds like rumors.

Another thing that bothers me greatly is you come on here and bash him and call him "immature" for him mass email. Yet, to me, it is way more inmature to start a website that is calling for an individuals job because you have "heard" people complainging about not making band or other issues. These problems have been around forever! People bitch and moaned when Coach was there. We had people who didn't like the way the Pride was run or sounded, but they also didn't come back to Pride the next year. I just have to ask you, would you be upset if someone started a website calling for your job and harrasing you by hiding behind a handle on an internet message board or website, and don't say he is a public official and he needs to expect criticism. He is working and doing his job, just like you will one day. Think about it.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 01:12 PM
Wrong again. The reason shows are being regurgitated is because of copyright infringement. Ever since Napster, they have been going after everyone who does not pay royalties and get permission to user their songs. They are so extreme, they will have lawyers sit in stadiums of high school and colleges listening for their music. Sometimes, persmissions can take over a year to get, kind of difficult if you are wanting to play new stuff or plan a marching show.

Copyright permission to arrange most songs really isn't that expensive. The only composer whose publishers get after people that badly is John Williams anyway.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 01:16 PM
There was a bad trend around when Roland stopped running practices and concentrated on arrangements. He started challenging the Pride to do more and more technical stuff. From "Emperor's New Groove" to "Free" he made us play things that were too technical to sound great on a field. I think that, along with the copyright issues have brought the total quality of the halftimes down.

Both the tunes you mentioned (and, in fact, all the tunes you perform) are requested by the band staff for Roland to arrange. Roland's not "concentrating" on the arrangements, he's concentrating on teaching music theory. Roland's just been writing the tunes out as they're performed like he always has. The problem, which you did touch on, is that the "Emperor's New Groove" and "Free" were both WAY too hard for a marching band to play cleanly. Roland never was one to water down the music, he just picked music that had a chance of getting clean.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 01:27 PM
Both the tunes you mentioned (and, in fact, all the tunes you perform) are requested by the band staff for Roland to arrange. Roland's not "concentrating" on the arrangements, he's concentrating on teaching music theory. Roland's just been writing the tunes out as they're performed like he always has. The problem, which you did touch on, is that the "Emperor's New Groove" and "Free" were both WAY too hard for a marching band to play cleanly. Roland never was one to water down the music, he just picked music that had a chance of getting clean.

Really? I had heard that Roland picked those out to try and "stump" the Pride... Well, you were actually in the music program, so I guess you'd have better sources. :O

1stTimeCaller
8/30/2006, 01:33 PM
I saw Brian Britt kick a puppy last week.

OklahomaTuba
8/30/2006, 01:33 PM
See, to me, that just doesn't make sense. If you still like the Pride, how can Mr. Britt be killing it?

Not sure how someone can kill something like a marching band at a state school, but I do know there was a time I could HEAR the pride from my seat in the stadium, and when people actually seemed to enjoy watching the band at halftime, and thats not happening these days.

The sound sucks, the music is lame, the marching looks like ****, they hardly play in the stands to get the crowd going anymore, and I see a lot more bitching about the Pride these days then I ever did when I was actually in the damn band.

Its like the pride has forgetten what the hell they are, which is a college marching band.

OklahomaTuba
8/30/2006, 01:44 PM
Again, I think Mr. Britt is under a lot of pressure

Using the word "pressure" while talking about a band director is laughable IMO.

WTF has he got to be pressured about? Not enough regurgitated 80s music to make his all volunteer army of college students march around too at sporting events this fall? Maybes its planning that hellish trip to the cotton bowl or bowl game every year. Oh, the hell that is his life.

If the dude's feeling "pressure" from doing this, Lord help the man if he ever gets the in the real world, where the state's tax money isn't supporting his ***.

apusooner
8/30/2006, 01:44 PM
the musicality is just about where it always is
haha. wrong. haha.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 01:54 PM
I remember some games I played what seemed like the whole game. Even my lips were bleeding sometimes.

proud gonzo
8/30/2006, 01:55 PM
Really? I had heard that Roland picked those out to try and "stump" the Pride... Well, you were actually in the music program, so I guess you'd have better sources. :O

Roland doesn't pick the music.

1stTimeCaller
8/30/2006, 01:56 PM
Roland doesn't pick the music.

does he pick his nose?

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

me sooo funny:D

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 01:57 PM
I'll never understand people that say they "can't hear the Pride". I've been on both upper decks and in both endzones, and I could hear them just fine. Now, east side upper deck was quiet, but so was everything else.

Saying that his job is pressure free is just plain stupid. And if you're paying attention, I'm not saying he's cracking under said pressure, I'm saying said pressure is influencing a lot of his decisions.

proud gonzo
8/30/2006, 01:59 PM
I'll never understand people that say they "can't hear the Pride". I've been on both upper decks and in both endzones, and I could hear them just fine. Now, east side upper deck was quiet, but so was everything else.

did you ever hear the Pride when Coach was in charge? if your answer is no, that's why you don't understand.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 01:59 PM

The directors pick the music, then Roland gives them what they ask for.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 02:01 PM

As for not being loud/sucking/whatever, I'll trust other fans more than I do our own. When you hear something every week you tend to take it for granted, but every single week I hear from opposing fans that the Pride is among the best in the nation. I still remember showing up the pathetic Washington State band at the Rose Bowl, and hearing praise heaped on us from the LSU band at the Sugar Bowl, and they're widely regarded as the best in the SEC.

It's good that you mentioned those two events. Yes, indeed the Pride, though not performaing with the same punch of years before, did still on impressive performances for much of '01, '02, and '03, although each year was a little poorer than the year before. And we picked up our performance considerably both years for those bowl games. Where the band really started to lose it's mojo IMO was the 2004 season. In the past two seasons I've heard much less praise from opposing fans and a lot more trash talk from opposing bands who've seen the Pride and aren't impressed.

Did it suck? No. The Pride has never flat out sucked, but it is definately no longer putting on entertaining halftime shows, for either the fans or the majority of the performers. '01-'03 was still good, thought not awesome. '04 to present is where things have been ugly. I'm anxious to see if the new assistant director can light a fire under the members collective a$$es and make us all proud of 'The Pride' again.

I'd like to add that I don't blame it all solely on Britt. Hell, his first year as director might have been the best performing Pride I participated in. Of course, that was back when we actually still worked on air and volume during warmups.

1stTimeCaller
8/30/2006, 02:02 PM
maybe, just maybe, he's doing exactly what his boss wants him to do with the band.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:04 PM
It's good that you mentioned those two events. Yes, indeed the Pride, though not performaing with the same punch of years before, did put on impressive performances for much of '01, '02, and '03, although each year was a little poorer than the year before. And we picked up our performance considerably both years for those bowl games. Where the band really started to lose it's mojo IMO was the 2004 season. In the past two seasons I've heard much less praise from opposing fans and a lot more trash talk from opposing bands who've seen the Pride and aren't impressed.

Did it suck? No. The Pride has never flat out sucked, but it is definately no longer putting on entertaining halftime shows, for either the fans or the majority of the performers. '01-'03 was still good, thought not awesome. '04 to present is where things have been ugly. I'm anxious to see if the new assistant director can light a fire under the members collective a$$es and make us all proud of 'The Pride' again.

I thought 2002 was way better than 2001.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:05 PM
maybe, just maybe, he's doing exactly what his boss wants him to do with the band.

As my friend screamed from a ****ty Holiday Inn balcony in Dallas, TX, "**** YOU JOE C!!!!" :D

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:06 PM
It's good that you mentioned those two events. Yes, indeed the Pride, though not performaing with the same punch of years before, did still on impressive performances for much of '01, '02, and '03, although each year was a little poorer than the year before. And we picked up our performance considerably both years for those bowl games. Where the band really started to lose it's mojo IMO was the 2004 season. In the past two seasons I've heard much less praise from opposing fans and a lot more trash talk from opposing bands who've seen the Pride and aren't impressed.

I'd like to add that I don't blame it all solely on Britt. Hell, his first year as director might have been the best performing Pride I participated in. Of course, that was back when we actually still worked on air and volume during warmups.

I would attribute that to a less-than-stellar drum major. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy, but he left a lot to be desired as a DM. :(

Oh, and pg, I was in the Pride with Coach.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:07 PM
As my friend screamed from a ****ty Holiday Inn balcony in Dallas, TX, "**** YOU JOE C!!!!" :D

Yeah. That's my point. :(

OklahomaTuba
8/30/2006, 02:10 PM
I would attribute that to a less-than-stellar drum major. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy, but he left a lot to be desired as a DM. :(

What the hell does the DM have to do with anything?? They don't do anything that relates to any of the problems with the band, they just do what the director tells them to do, like all the other poor bastards out there.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:11 PM

I don't get where the drum major has ANYTHING to do with how the band sounds. How does the drum major effect it, really?

During sectionals he hangs out and walks around listening to everyone.

During music rehearsal he hangs out and maybe conducts a bit. The drum major does no rehearsing of the music at all.

During drill he conducts a bit, again, taking no part in the actual rehearsal process.

The only part of Pride the drum major can actively influence greatly is playing in the stands.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 02:11 PM

Norman, with respect, ...if you think the fans have been going nuts for pregame for the past couple season then I guess you don't remember WHEN THEY ACTUALLY DID. In '04 while I was on the field I was appalled to notice HOW LITTLE they actually cheered for us, and from the stands in '05 my feeling was confirmed. Back in '00 and '01 Memorial Stadium was DEAFENING. The crowd still wants it to be, but there just a slowness and weakness in the pregame performance that needs some serious correction.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:13 PM
What the hell does the DM have to do with anything?? They don't do anything that relates to any of the problems with the band, they just do what the director tells them to do, like all the other poor bastards out there.

What? The DM is the one that actually directs the Pride. He's the figurehead, and the Pride takes on a lot of his attitude. Okay, look at the other posts in this thread, as well. '00 (under Coach, granted) was awesome. We had a great DM then. '01, not so awesome, and we had a mediocre to bad DM then. '02-'03 was also pretty good, and we had an excellent DM then. '04-'05 was weaker, and we had a mediocre DM. And no, Mr. Britt does not tell him exactly what to play all the time.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:16 PM
Norman, with respect, ...if you think the fans have been going nuts for pregame for the past couple season then I guess you don't remember WHEN THEY ACTUALLY DID. In '04 while I was on the field I was appalled to notice HOW LITTLE they actually cheered for us, and from the stands in '05 my feeling was confirmed. Back in '00 and '01 Memorial Stadium was DEAFENING. The crowd still wants it to be, but there just a slowness and weakness in the pregame performance that needs some serious correction.

'05 we didn't have much to cheer about, and in '04 our fans were lazy. From '00 to '03 the fans were getting less and less rabid as the frenzy from "omg we're good again!" died off. It's not just the Pride, man. We're part of the atmosphere, but not the main attraction.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:17 PM
What? The DM is the one that actually directs the Pride. He's the figurehead, and the Pride takes on a lot of his attitude. Okay, look at the other posts in this thread, as well. '00 (under Coach, granted) was awesome. We had a great DM then. '01, not so awesome, and we had a mediocre to bad DM then. '02-'03 was also pretty good, and we had an excellent DM then. '04-'05 was weaker, and we had a mediocre DM. And no, Mr. Britt does not tell him exactly what to play all the time.

The DM stands up there and waves his arms, true. But with 300+ people out there, most of what happens musically is going to be dictated by how the band rehearsed, not because of a particular conducting gesture that the DM is using 60 yards away from the tubas. With that much space being covered, conducting subtleties just aren't going to get across. The DM's just making sure no one's lost.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 02:18 PM

The users on the board represent a cross section of the entire Sooner Nation. And keep in mind that at least half of the posts on this thread are from Pride alumni or current members. This IS a big deal with the fans, a large percentage of them.

OklahomaTuba
8/30/2006, 02:18 PM

The DM stands on a podium during half time and keeps the beat. He also gets to wear a weird hat and special boots and carried some big baton thingy.

Beyond that, he has absolutly no bearing on the weakness in the prides sounds over the last few years, the crap music being played during half time, or the practices where fundamentals and marching are obviously a secondary issue.

Beyond that, the DM is about as useful to the pride as a hood orniment is to a car.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:19 PM
The DM stands up there and waves his arms, true. But with 300+ people out there, most of what happens musically is going to be dictated by how the band rehearsed, not because of a particular conducting gesture that the DM is using 60 yards away from the tubas. With that much space being covered, conducting subtleties just aren't going to get across. The DM's just making sure no one's lost.

Normally I would agree, but there were just so many times during Drum Major tryouts where you could just tell that the Pride reacted better with one guy up on the stand, you know? And I'm mainly talking about the stands. Yes, I realize that the DM doesn't matter much on the field. That one's on the directors, and I do admit the quality has dropped there.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:20 PM
Normally I would agree, but there were just so many times during Drum Major tryouts where you could just tell that the Pride reacted better with one guy up on the stand, you know? And I'm mainly talking about the stands. Yes, I realize that the DM doesn't matter much on the field. That one's on the directors, and I do admit the quality has dropped there.

OK, I'll buy the argument from the stands.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 02:23 PM

Although I don't necessarily agree that the Drum Majors have been responsible for weakening the Pride, I have to agree with NormanPride's assessment of our Britt era DMs. Two were very good, two left a lot to be desired (mostly leadership and motivation), and we will soon see how the new guy handles himself.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 02:23 PM
I have also noticed of people stating that the band got quiet between 2001, 2002 and 2003. That is also the year we added the upper deck to the west side and more bodies in the stands. I don't think the Pride lost its volume overnight. Trust me, there are several people blowing their brians out...I was one of them.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:27 PM
I have also noticed of people stating that the band got quiet between 2001, 2002 and 2003. That is also the year we added the upper deck to the west side and more bodies in the stands. I don't think the Pride lost its volume overnight. Trust me, there are several people blowing their brians out...I was one of them.

Um... you played the saxophone, dude. Hell, one my best friends was a 7-year saxophone player in the Pride and she'll be the first to tell you you're not why the volume happens. :)

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:28 PM
Although I don't necessarily agree that the Drum Majors have been responsible for weakening the Pride, I have to agree with NormanPride's assessment of our Britt era DMs. Two were very good, two left a lot to be desired (mostly leadership and motivation), and we will soon see how the new guy handles himself.

I'm not blaming the Drum Majors exclusively, either, but it can get really tiring dealing with a Drum Major you don't like in the stands. No, I think what "decline" that has happened is due to a bunch of different reasons. And yes, I do think Mr. Britt has his share of blame.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
The users on the board represent a cross section of the entire Sooner Nation. And keep in mind that at least half of the posts on this thread are from Pride alumni or current members. This IS a big deal with the fans, a large percentage of them.

I don't totally disagree that it does represent a cross section, but I tend to believe it is a vocal minority. I just don't here any complaining outside the same few people.

apusooner
alot of the prides suckage has to do with inept section leaders. i know for a fact, alot of them couldnt play their way out of a bucket. crappy leaders= crappy sound. how can a section sound good if they have nobody to set the bar? the trumpet section leaders have been a joke lately, thus the trumpets have sounded pretty bad. really bad.

Duke o Brewery
No one is saying that Pride members aren't trying hard. No one is saying that they aren't doing what is asked of them. What we're saying is that for every good performer who is doing things the right way with punch, attitude, and earsplitting volume there are 10 other Pride members who have never been taught to do that because thats not what Britt wants. Thank you for doing it the right way. it's too bad that Britt doesn't emphasize volume and attitude.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 02:29 PM
Um... you played the saxophone, dude. Hell, one my best friends was a 7-year saxophone player in the Pride and she'll be the first to tell you you're not why the volume happens. :)

Haha, she was my section leader and I will bet that she will tell you that a handful of saxes outblew a whole section of (place instrument here).

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 02:31 PM
alot of the prides suckage has to do with inept section leaders. i know for a fact, alot of them couldnt play their way out of a bucket. crappy leaders= crappy sound. how can a section sound good if they have nobody to set the bar? the trumpet section leaders have been a joke lately, thus the trumpets have sounded pretty bad. really bad.

I do agree with that. There are some section leaders who are there/were there that didn't need to be section leaders.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 02:32 PM
We all love the Pride, its members and its tradition just like we love our Sooner football team and its tradition, but if the team was having mediocre or losing seasons every year for 4 or 5 years in a row wouldn't we all call for changes?

PrideTuba
Your earlier post said that you were not sure of the story, but yet you come on here and spill it over over the board. Your information is coming from other sources and you are not seeing this personally if you are not in band, but yet you come on here and spew your info like you know it personally, so to me, it sounds like rumors.

Another thing that bothers me greatly is you come on here and bash him and call him "immature" for him mass email. Yet, to me, it is way more inmature to start a website that is calling for an individuals job because you have "heard" people complainging about not making band or other issues. These problems have been around forever! People bitch and moaned when Coach was there. We had people who didn't like the way the Pride was run or sounded, but they also didn't come back to Pride the next year. I just have to ask you, would you be upset if someone started a website calling for your job and harrasing you by hiding behind a handle on an internet message board or website, and don't say he is a public official and he needs to expect criticism. He is working and doing his job, just like you will one day. Think about it.

Sorry for the delayed responses, ive got class until 8 pm tonight so I can only get on here a little bit. I say im not sure of the story because im not 100% positive that every aspect of it is correct, but I get them from people I know personally so I take the stories as truth. I say im not sure its exactly what happens because everybody exaggerates and adds their own part in stories, so while they may be true they might not be accurate and I would rather say something along the lines of, "this is what I know, im not sure about all of it, but it did happen." You know, maybe I am wrong about all of these stories, maybe I am spreading false rumors. If I am doing that, im sorry, I take all the stories back and if need be ill go edit my posts and remove them. I dont have trouble admitting that I am wrong so if you want, ill go fix these things.

About the website, I never started that website I simply help spread it around. I support that website 100% and I believe he should be fired, he doesnt deserve to run the Pride. Also, Brian knows exactly how I feel about him, he knows my feelings. I know this because he talked to my friend Jordan, one of the tuba section leaders this year, about me and he doesnt know where I got all these feelings. Brian thought it was because I didnt get section leader, which is false, I didnt care that I didnt get section leader because even if I would have gotten it, I wasnt able to come back to Pride for that year.

Brian Britt is a public figure, he has said it himself:

I make my share of mistakes, I will admit that. However, when I make mistakes I do so in the public eye and everyone knows that it was my mistake and that it was not an anonymous deed. That is part of my job.

If you think he isnt a public figure then I dont know what to tell you. If you want to know how people feel about having websites that call for their job, you should contact ron zook and ask him about fireronzook.com. You should also contact mack brown and ask him how he felt about firemackbrown.com.

apusooner
some? a majority.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:34 PM
Haha, she was my section leader and I will bet that she will tell you that a handful of saxes outblew a whole section of (place instrument here).

Heh. I know who you are now, I don't know what took me so long. (This is Andrew). Anyway, yeah. The saxes were the most consistent section while I was in Pride, but to really get people to hear you, you need the brass. :) You want us on that wall.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:35 PM
No one is saying that Pride members aren't trying hard. No one is saying that they aren't doing what is asked of them. What we're saying is that for every good performer who is doing things the right way with punch, attitude, and earsplitting volume there are 10 other Pride members who have never been taught to do that because thats not what Britt wants. Thank you for doing it the right way. it's too bad that Britt doesn't emphasize volume and attitude.

See, I would attribute this less to Mr. Britt "not wanting" volume and attitude and more to poor section leadership. One of the few things I'd agree that he's not always good at is leadership selection.

apusooner
8/30/2006, 02:36 PM
and it boils down to britt letting these people be section leaders. bad move on his part.

by the way, Free by Chicago is not to hard for a band to pull off. if rehearsed properly, it could have been done in two rehearsals. i sight read it in basketball band pretty well the first time through. it was a little tricky, but if you had ever heard it before it wasnt too bad.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 02:42 PM
and it boils down to britt letting these people be section leaders. bad move on his part.

by the way, Free by Chicago is not to hard for a band to pull off. if rehearsed properly, it could have been done in two rehearsals. i sight read it in basketball band pretty well the first time through. it was a little tricky, but if you had ever heard it before it wasnt too bad.

Yeah yeah, Mr. I Have A Masters in Trumpet. :)

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 02:42 PM
See, I would attribute this less to Mr. Britt "not wanting" volume and attitude and more to poor section leadership. One of the few things I'd agree that he's not always good at is leadership selection.

Definately. Often times he has chosed good musicians to run his sections, but many many times he has chosen people who are very poor teachers and/or leaders.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 02:43 PM
Sorry for the delayed responses, ive got class until 8 pm tonight so I can only get on here a little bit. I say im not sure of the story because im not 100% positive that every aspect of it is correct, but I get them from people I know personally so I take the stories as truth. I say im not sure its exactly what happens because everybody exaggerates and adds their own part in stories, so while they may be true they might not be accurate and I would rather say something along the lines of, "this is what I know, im not sure about all of it, but it did happen." You know, maybe I am wrong about all of these stories, maybe I am spreading false rumors. If I am doing that, im sorry, I take all the stories back and if need be ill go edit my posts and remove them. I dont have trouble admitting that I am wrong so if you want, ill go fix these things.

About the website, I never started that website I simply help spread it around. I support that website 100% and I believe he should be fired, he doesnt deserve to run the Pride. Also, Brian knows exactly how I feel about him, he knows my feelings. I know this because he talked to my friend Jordan, one of the tuba section leaders this year, about me and he doesnt know where I got all these feelings. Brian thought it was because I didnt get section leader, which is false, I didnt care that I didnt get section leader because even if I would have gotten it, I wasnt able to come back to Pride for that year.

Brian Britt is a public figure, he has said it himself:

If you think he isnt a public figure then I dont know what to tell you. If you want to know how people feel about having websites that call for their job, you should contact ron zook and ask him about fireronzook.com. You should also contact mack brown and ask him how he felt about firemackbrown.com.

The only difference is fireronzook.com or firemackbrown.com was not started by football players of that person. If you do something like that while in the organization that he leads, you should expect the penalties.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 02:44 PM
Heh. I know who you are now, I don't know what took me so long. (This is Andrew). Anyway, yeah. The saxes were the most consistent section while I was in Pride, but to really get people to hear you, you need the brass. :) You want us on that wall.

After that last post, I was beginning to think it was you. Our goal was to outblast everyone there. Sometimes we were pretty good about it. Sometimes the tone was atrocious though! HAHA!

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 02:50 PM
The only difference is fireronzook.com or firemackbrown.com was not started by football players of that person. If you do something like that while in the organization that he leads, you should expect the penalties.

Firebrianbritt.com was started by Pride Alumni. Most of its information/opinion contributors were those alumni. Relatively few of its founders were current members at the time. Some had been out of the Pride for over a decade.

Can I ask why you defend Britt? You seem to share the same performance ideals that most of us critics have.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 02:58 PM
Firebrianbritt.com was started by Pride Alumni. Most of its information/opinion contributors were those alumni. Relatively few of its founders were current members at the time. Some had been out of the Pride for over a decade.

Can I ask why you defend Britt? You seem to share the same performance ideals that most of us critics have.

I defend him because he's always been kind and understanding to me, without really having any reason to be. His teaching style has always been effective with me, so I respect his ability to motivate me (a difficult task). That's all personal preference, though.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 03:01 PM
Its definately odd how this man can treat some people so kindly and generously while treating others so condescendingly, manipulatively and cruelly. It's nice that you personally had nothing but good experiences with him.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 03:04 PM
Its definately odd how this man can treat some people so kindly and generously while treating others so condescendingly and cruelly. It's nice that you personally had nothing but good experiences with him.

Yeah, this is why these threads are so confusing to me. I just can't conceive it. I've seen him angry, and he's even been angry at me, but he's never treated me like I didn't deserve.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 03:10 PM

Sure, I don't mind. I have always been treated with respect by him. I am by no means an amazing player or music major, but I don't see a lot of the criticisms. I see it as a human raction to defend himself. Everyone would do it. I just don't like when people attack him for defending himself from people who post stuff about him, whether it is true or not. I don't care what people say regarding their view of the Pride. That is there opinion and they are entitled to it. I still enjoy listening to it and believe it to be a great band and organization. I do have a problem with the personal attacks. If people want change, they are going about it in the wrong way. I have been to his office many times when I was in band and always talked about how I felt about things. Of course, he ultimately has the final say on how things are ran because he is the one with the title. It is not possible to take everyone's request and put it to use. It is physically inpossible because someone will always be upset. I joined Pride (and even when I was in junior high and high school) knowing that there may be somethings I may not like about it. You have to accept that when you join any organization. If you want to see mediocrity, watch OSU and Texas. Do you guys remember how bad Washington State was. Wait to see Iowa State. They are horrible! USC? They are terrible too and if anyone likes the Florida State band, I am sorry. People say we only know two songs, but that band knows fewer songs than the we do. You don't know how lucky we really are to have this here.

As for the sounds, I have been to several games since I have been out and it sounds good to me. Is it max volume? No, but I also have accepted that each person has their way of running things. I have no concerns about that. It is still in my opinion a great sounding band with more technique. Some of those runs are really hard to play, let alone blast them. The music my final couple of years were some of the most difficult I have ever played in a marching band. It is challenging to the musician. Besides, this will date me, but when I was in band and when you could leave the stadium to go to O'Connell's at halftime, we were playing to a half empty stadium then. People were not staying to see us then, and still don't to some point now. It is just the nature of the beast. We totally accept that you didn't pay $75 to see us, but we want you and us to have just as much fun.

Anyways, sorry for the long comment, but that is how I feel.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 03:11 PM
In addition to my own personal bad experiences I've spoken with a few people who have known him professionally in the music education field. They've shared similar opinions of his character. I guess its just one of those things that seems unbelieveable until it happens to you.

But let me also say that I am not vocal about the Pride because of my problems with Britt. I am vocal because when I joined in 2000 I loved the band and all its facets. By the time I was done in '04 I felt totally disillusioned and disappointed with what the Pride had become. Thats why I hope that the new assistant director can do something. ANYTHING.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 03:19 PM
In addition to my own personal bad experiences I've spoken with a few people who have known him professionally in the music education field. They've shared similar opinions of his character. I guess its just one of those things that seems unbelieveable until it happens to you.

But let me also say that I am not vocal about the Pride because of my problems with Britt. I am vocal because when I joined in 2000 I loved the band and all its facets. By the time I was done in '04 I felt totally disillusioned and disappointed with what the Pride had become. Thats why I hope that the new assistant director can do something. ANYTHING.

A lot of that may be the people who join too. You get a lot more people than you normally would when you get a good football team. I noticed a change, but not because of the director, but the members (and I am not talking about their musicality, their attitudes and desire).

Ardmore_Sooner
8/30/2006, 03:26 PM
If you still like the Pride, how can Mr. Britt be killing it?

John Blake was killing our football program, but I still liked the football. A lot of people think Bush is killing the country, that doesn't mean they hate America. Just because PrideTuba doesn't like Britt doesn't mean that he hates the Pride. I feel that our interest in Britt is to see The Pride be the best it can be.

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 03:30 PM
I have heard this same argument from several ardent defenders of Brian Britt; that many of the newer Pride members themselves are the cause of the changes in how the Pride performs.

I just don't see how the responsibility for maintaining a skilled, motivated, and highly entertaining band lies squarely on the members' shoulders and not on the director.

At the very least can we all agree that Mr. Britt's choices in assistants, staff, and section leaders have, for the most part, been poor choices?
I can count only a handful of people he has placed in those positions in his 5 previous seasons who were anything other than incompetent as leaders, teachers and motivators, although most were fine musicians themselves.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 03:38 PM
See, I think it's a combination of a lot of things. The newer section leaders are now those kids that came in and didn't care. They just did Pride because it was required by the music dept. or because they wanted a free ticket to road games, etc. I know it's not true of everyone, but there were a lot of people like that, and the ones that didn't hack it were replaced by freshmen that were just the same. Back when the team sucked, you had to WANT to be in Pride.

Are the GAs his choice? I honestly don't know. Most of those guys I liked, though the few I didn't were let go pretty quickly. Also, Mr. Boone is gone now, so maybe this new guy will be better.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 03:44 PM
See, I think it's a combination of a lot of things. The newer section leaders are now those kids that came in and didn't care. They just did Pride because it was required by the music dept. or because they wanted a free ticket to road games, etc. I know it's not true of everyone, but there were a lot of people like that, and the ones that didn't hack it were replaced by freshmen that were just the same. Back when the team sucked, you had to WANT to be in Pride.

Are the GAs his choice? I honestly don't know. Most of those guys I liked, though the few I didn't were let go pretty quickly. Also, Mr. Boone is gone now, so maybe this new guy will be better.

I think the entire senior band staff gets to discuss GAs and picks as a whole, but I may be wrong. If anyone gets the final say, it'd be Wakefield, I would think.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 03:45 PM
I think the entire senior band staff gets to discuss GAs and picks as a whole, but I may be wrong. If anyone gets the final say, it'd be Wakefield, I would think.

That's what I thought. And they're required to get to run one show a year, right? Or is it just one show while they're in the school?

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 03:48 PM
That's what I thought. And they're required to get to run one show a year, right? Or is it just one show while they're in the school?

Used to be, the GAs would watch and learn. They did let a GA design and rehearse a show in 2000, which was a complete disaster.

I don't know if the graduate music curriculum requires that they get some experience designing/rehearsing a marching band or not.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 03:51 PM

Young grasshopper, you have much to learn about the ways The Pride used to be...

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 03:54 PM
Young grasshopper, you have much to learn about the ways The Pride used to be...

Are you kidding me???? I was in it when it used to be. As a matter of fact, I was in it from 1998-2004, and had friends in it as way back as 1990. Tell me, how did it use to be?

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 04:09 PM
Well, I was in from '00 to '04, and had friends in it as way back as 1992. ...ok, you win. :)
In all seriousness, the Pride used to be more fun for both members and fans, louder, faster paced, more exciting, better motivated, performed better arrangements, and got MUCH more respect from opponents and Sooner fans alike.

Now the music is not exciting, it's performed with zero emotion, tempos are agonizingly slow, marching fundamentals no longer exist, the sound-production is much less than in previous years, and the rehearsals are boring and monotonous. All the 'hardcore' attitude is gone. Thats my $.02

SoonerBK
8/30/2006, 04:10 PM
Here's the real deal folks, let me explain it to you in terms you can understand. The Pride lost its Switzer when Coach left. Hopefully Britt is our John Blake, and we get to skip over having a gibbs and a ***************. Now it is time to go find the Bob Stoops of the Pride.

Through all tis discussion, you also are not taking into account that Britt reports to Wakefield, and Wakefield is not a marching band guy. When Coach was still at he helm it always seemed to bother him that the OU school of music was known for the Pride and not all of the other instrumental organizations. When I was in some of the music majors would tell me that Wakefield had suggested to them that they not do marching band and get serious about thier instrument.

As I type this I am listening to the 1990 recording and it is pretty darn good.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 04:11 PM
Here's the real deal folks, let me explain it to you in terms you can understand. The Pride lost its Switzer when Coach left. Hopefully Britt is our John Blake, and we get to skip over having a gibbs and a ***************. Now it is time to go find the Bob Stoops of the Pride.

Through all tis discussion, you also are not taking into account that Britt reports to Wakefield, and Wakefield is not a marching band guy. When Coach was still at he helm it always seemed to bother him that the OU school of music was known for the Pride and not all of the other instrumental organizations. When I was in some of the music majors would tell me that Wakefield had suggested to them that they not do marching band and get serious about thier instrument.

As I type this I am listening to the 1990 recording and it is pretty darn good.

Sounds more like Wakefield is killing the Pride, then. ;)

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 04:13 PM
Well, I was in from '00 to '04, and had friends in it as way back as 1992. ...ok, you win. :)
In all seriousness, the Pride used to be more fun for both members and fans, louder, faster paced, more exciting, better motivated, performed better arrangements, and got MUCH more respect from opponents and Sooner fans alike. Thats my $.02

Haha, I am the winner, sweet!!!!! I get me some :twinkies: !

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 04:13 PM
I was in it from '78 - 80. You were in it when Coach was on the retirement slide...

It used to be all about the BRASS and all about the sound. We could blow the dorrs off of people, our marching was crisp and we marched the high leg lift. I doubt many of the curent members could swing side to side like that today. I did it with a Sousa - even in the OB Parade!

We played shows that people liked and we danced in block. We all thought the dancing was gay, but the fans loved it. I doubt if many of the fans understand a lick about musicality and playing soft and loud, only that they know they can't hear soft. We didn't have any stinking bells on the field - gay! We had brass and we used to joke to Fl. State and to Uterus that we could hear their woodwinds - a cut!

Also, most the band was made of non-music majors, so they didn't HAVE to spend so many semesters in band, they were there for love of comraderie, school, football and 50-yardline seats. 3-years of 50-yarders was sweet. We also had Bus #5, drinking and having lots of fun! Oh the stories. Coach didn't have a schedule mapped out to the n-th degree, and people were expected to memorize music, not becuase there was sectional, but becuase we had pride in what we put on the field.

I don't see that when attending Pride practices as part of Alumni Band, I see people scurrying around trying to please a leader who seems more involved in an ego building and reinforcing relationship with his underlings. I think someone mentioned it before, it is about technical perfection, most people have no clue what that would be or would care. Mrs. THA became disillusioned with performance because musicians she knew were more concern about playing a piece technically perfect than playing it with feeling and from the heart in your own interpretation. If any of you were involved in the OKC jazz/band gig scene 10+ years ago probably knew of my wife, she was a bari/tenor/alto sax player (not from OU).

Just my better than average informed opinion.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/30/2006, 04:17 PM
I was in it from '78 - 80. You were in it when Coach was on the retirement slide...

It used to be all about the BRASS and all about the sound. We could blow the dorrs off of people, our marching was crisp and we marched the high leg lift. I doubt many of the curent members could swing side to side like that today. I did it with a Sousa - even in the OB Parade!

We played shows that people liked and we danced in block. We all thought the dancing was gay, but the fans loved it. I doubt if many of the fans understand a lick about musicality and playing soft and loud, only that they know they can't hear soft. We didn't have any stinking bells on the field - gay! We had brass and we used to joke to Fl. State and to Uterus that we could hear their woodwinds - a cut!

Also, most the band was made of non-music majors, so they didn't HAVE to spend so many semesters in band, they were there for love of comraderie, school, football and 50-yardline seats. 3-years of 50-yarders was sweet. We also had Bus #5, drinking and having lots of fun! Oh the stories. Coach didn't have a schedule mapped out to the n-th degree, and people were expected to memorize music, not becuase there was sectional, but becuase we had pride in what we put on the field.

I don't see that when attending Pride practices as part of Alumni Band, I see people scurrying around trying to please a leader who seems more involved in an ego building and reinforcing relationship with his underlings. I think someone mentioned it before, it is about technical perfection, most people have no clue what that would be or would care. Mrs. THA became disillusioned with performance because musicians she knew were more concern about playing a piece technically perfect than playing it with feeling and from the heart in your own interpretation. If any of you were involved in the OKC jazz/band gig scene 10+ years ago probably knew of my wife, she was a bari/tenor/alto sax player (not from OU).

Just my better than average informed opinion.

Sorry for jumping your case earlier, but I feel like I have been a round a while. Coach's retirement slide was fun, but sometimes the inmates ran the asylum because he was out the door. Why else would we get a ten day trip to the 2001 Orange Bowl? It has changed, alot even since I was first there, but I don't see it crashing and burning. I am not disputing the changes though. Some may be for the better.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 04:27 PM
Sorry for jumping your case earlier, but I feel like I have been a round a while. Coach's retirement slide was fun, but sometimes the inmates ran the asylum because he was out the door. Why else would we get a ten day trip to the 2001 Orange Bowl? It has changed, alot even since I was first there, but I don't see it crashing and burning. I am not disputing the changes though. Some may be for the better.

NO sweat, and I don't doubt that there may be some changes for the better. I am no Coach homer, he had his flaws. But he also had my respect. I think the PC stuff in academia today may be part of what is damaging Britt, but I also think he doesn't have the maturity to handle this job. The emails and berating of the people at FireBrianBritt.com only point to that. Coach was an unabashed homer for OU. He would have never said that crap Britt said about the #1 sign! He would have said its all about being #1, having a #1 U and a #1 band! Then he would have said don't check your crotch or pick your nose on TV! :D

Coach didn't care (so much) about the powers, he bitched and tweaked 'em but he also knew where his bread was buttered. Many a time, I think he ****ed off Switzer enough to lose his job, but the fans and the donations came rolling in and I don't think they dared do anything. I mean, how can you argue when an entire alumni association (OU Club of Houston) put up the bucks to send the entire Pride for a Rice game and got the scheduled band bumped so The Pride could play at an Oilers game and play for the "derelick" dolls ;) - I was there, no expense was spared! Coach could glad hand with the best, not sure how well Britt is doing. Coach would have laughed off a website, not bring attention to it...

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 04:33 PM
In my experience, nothing is ever as good as it used to be. ;)

Hey, it's your right as a former member to bitch about how things used to be, just as it will be my right when I'm out long enough. :D I've seen what he did about the website and I've seen the emails he sent to the Pride. I don't think they're too over the top, but I don't really think they were a good idea. Either way, something like this reflects very little on his ability to manage a marching band, IMO.

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2006, 04:40 PM
Have we touched on "The Drum Major in my day would drag his hat on the ground" yet? Cause I don't wanna miss that.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 04:45 PM
In my experience, nothing is ever as good as it used to be. ;)

Agreed! I am not necessarily reliving the past. It was fun, but I got out my senior year to finish classes and graduate, as President of KKPsi, that was the hardest thing I ever did. But it was right as I wouldn't have been putting the energy needed into The Pride.

Hey, it's your right as a former member to bitch about how things used to be, just as it will be my right when I'm out long enough. :D I've seen what he did about the website and I've seen the emails he sent to the Pride. I don't think they're too over the top, but I don't really think they were a good idea. Either way, something like this reflects very little on his ability to manage a marching band, IMO.

We bitched about Coach while we were in, we bitched amongst ourselves. Perhaps because we have an "anonomous" communication thing in the innerweb, it is easier to bitch. But what surprises me amongst the alumni, I don't recall people bitching about Thrailkill or Braught (I knew him) like they bitch about Britt. Maybe it is the personality or maybe it is the times, I don't know. Either way, The Pride today seems divided in ways I have never seen The Pride divided before.

I'm a bit jaded as I have some inside knowledge from Mrs. THA about Britt and his former (since graduated) grad assistants/toadies. I think of them as a mutual admiration society and kids being in charge of the playground andplaying with the trappings...not so much about professionalism.

Jimminy Crimson
8/30/2006, 04:50 PM
Have we touched on "The Drum Major in my day would drag his hat on the ground" yet? Cause I don't wanna miss that.

That should be the #1 requirement of the drum major.

Thanks for reminding me! :D

SoonerBK
8/30/2006, 04:53 PM
THA, I understand what you are saying. The 90's Prides had what you are talking about also. It is difficult to see something that you worked very hard for and cared for a lot not do as well as it possibly can. Especially when you know all they have to do is just get out there and do it and not hold back. Do you do alumni band?

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 04:55 PM
We bitched about Coach while we were in, we bitched amongst ourselves. Perhaps because we have an "anonomous" communication thing in the innerweb, it is easier to bitch. But what surprises me amongst the alumni, I don't recall people bitching about Thrailkill or Braught (I knew him) like they bitch about Britt. Maybe it is the personality or maybe it is the times, I don't know. Either way, The Pride today seems divided in ways I have never seen The Pride divided before.

I'm a bit jaded as I have some inside knowledge from Mrs. THA about Britt and his former (since graduated) grad assistants/toadies. I think of them as a mutual admiration society and kids being in charge of the playground andplaying with the trappings...not so much about professionalism.

He's had some bad assistants but, as we touched on earlier, I don't think that's really his decision. I'm willing to agree that Dr. Wakefield is trying to kill the Pride, though. :D

SoonerBK
8/30/2006, 05:00 PM
I'm willing to agree that Dr. Wakefield is trying to kill the Pride, though.

Dr. Death!

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 05:01 PM
Do you do alumni band?

When my travel schedule allows me to. I was last there 2 years ago. Last year I was overseas and I am afraid I will either be in Paris or Tokyo this year for homecoming. I'll try to get there though.

Oh and I don't know why, but I think I agree on the Wakefield thing. I just don't have any knowledge or experience about him to speak knowledgably about his efforts or intentions.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 05:04 PM
Sweet! I started a conspiracy rumor! :texan:

TheHumanAlphabet
8/30/2006, 05:08 PM
Its good to see the Pride/Britt bitch session up to 7 pages!!!:D

Duke o Brewery
8/30/2006, 05:18 PM
Just FYI, Wakefield got his doctorate from UT Austin. Just thought I'd toss that on the fire... ;)

apusooner
8/30/2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah yeah, Mr. I Have A Masters in Trumpet. :)
damn right. i busted my arse for it too. i won't comment on wakefield, other than he is a giant ******.

PrideTrombone
8/30/2006, 08:47 PM
damn right. i busted my arse for it too. i won't comment on wakefield, other than he is a giant ******.

That's a pretty strong non-comment. :)

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 08:49 PM
...It is difficult to see something that you worked very hard for and cared for a lot not do as well as it possibly can. Especially when you know all they have to do is just get out there and do it and not hold back. ...

I think the exact same thing, I know the Pride can go out there and dominate. They could insanely loud, hopefully march better, and they could have a ton of fun, but it feels like they are holding back and being held back. I wasnt in Pride in the glory days, I was only able to do two years 03 and 04. My personal opinion is that 03 was the last god year of the Pride, we could play loud when need be and did when it mattered. In 04 I noticed a huge decline in volume from the very first practice and I even managed to **** off the trumpets because i asked them if they could play louder.

49r
8/30/2006, 08:51 PM
wTF ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME i MEAN WHAT A ****ING DOUCE BAG THIS IS SO RETARED...i AM GOING TO GO TO THE BAND SECTION AND HAVE WORDS WITH THAT MOTHER ****ER

Ever notice how dolemitesooner's swear word spelling skills are impeccable? :D

apusooner
8/30/2006, 08:57 PM
That's a pretty strong non-comment. :)

i said "other than"
:D

SoonerBK
8/30/2006, 09:13 PM
Just FYI, Wakefield got his doctorate from UT Austin. Just thought I'd toss that on the fire... ;)

I think this little tidbit is playing a much larger role than we give it credit for.

GottaHavePride
8/30/2006, 09:40 PM
I'm not saying the Pride is perfect, but saying it sucks and that Mr. Britt is killing it just shows how few bands you've seen out there.

I'm just going to say this one thing here. And no offense to you, NP, this is just my opinion on this subject that I've been seeing come up in a LOT of areas recently for me. As for the comparison to other bands out there, here's what I think:

Just because the Pride is better than a lot of other bands out there doesn't mean it's good enough. Being better than a lot of ****ty bands doesn't make you great. Greatness is not relative. Allowing yourself to settle for lower quality and justifying it with "well, we're still better than almost everyone else" is crap, and I see a lot of that in music these days.

OK, rant over, everyone can go home now.

proud gonzo
8/30/2006, 09:42 PM
I'm just going to say this one thing here. And no offense to you, NP, this is just my opinion on this subject that I've been seeing come up in a LOT of areas recently for me. As for the comparison to other bands out there, here's what I think:

Just because the Pride is better than a lot of other bands out there doesn't mean it's good enough. Being better than a lot of ****ty bands doesn't make you great. Greatness is not relative. Allowing yourself to settle for lower quality and justifying it with "well, we're still better than almost everyone else" is crap, and I see a lot of that in music these days.

i agree with every word of that.... and I think your sig ads a lot to that post.

badger
8/30/2006, 09:58 PM
NP told me how fun this thread was, so I've decided to come back and post a second time.

I have spoken to the the director, the new assistant and the new drum major (not as a concerned alumnus or whatever, but as part of my job). They have said that they are going to have more variety both in the stands and on the field.

Because there has been some transition from last year to this year, it would be entirely fair to reserve your judgment on the leadership and the entire band until their first public performance, which is only a few days away.

GottaHavePride
8/30/2006, 10:06 PM
NP told me how fun this thread was, so I've decided to come back and post a second time.

I have spoken to the the director, the new assistant and the new drum major (not as a concerned alumnus or whatever, but as part of my job). They have said that they are going to have more variety both in the stands and on the field.

Because there has been some transition from last year to this year, it would be entirely fair to reserve your judgment on the leadership and the entire band until their first public performance, which is only a few days away.
That's why I've tried to refrain from saying anything about this year's band specifically yet, other than noting a whole lot of retread tunes on the schedule. ;)

cofCtuba
8/30/2006, 10:31 PM

That is so right. Just tonite in bible class at the church of Christ(cofC) here in Norman, the teacher talked about how christians often will do things that they ought not and then justify it by saying, "well, at least I go to church, there's tons of people that don't even go at all." So that makes doing wrong okay? Of course not. Christians shouldn't use other people's living as their standard, but to always strive to be like Jesus. In the same light, the Pride could be so much better! We shouldn't strive to just be better than other bands, but strive to be the best we can be. Sorry to get all religious, I just loved the point you made.

I just now saw all this, I've been so busy with capstone and LSAT studyin, that's why I couldn't do the Pride this year even if I wanted to. People who have been on these forums very long know that it was me that purchased firebrianbritt.com. When Brian Britt found the site he got all my information through OU's IT department. After that he did a great job of villainizing me and getting as much of the Pride behind him before they even looked at the site. He referred to me as vicious, hateful, slanderous, and I don't remember what else in an email to the whole 2005 Pride. He even gave the link to the whole pride to go and view my name, address, phone number, and email address. And boy did some people lash out. One girl said on a public Pride discussion board that if she saw me, she would spit in my face. One girl wrote on a Pride discussion board that I was being charged by the university with libel and that I had to meet with President Boren and that my Daddy had to get me out of all the trouble. Neither of which is true. Interestingly enough, Brian Britt told the whole Pride that my name and the contents of the site were being handed over to the University administration for a "thourough investigation." I guess that's where she got that. I did in fact meet with the President. My Dad, (who is a good and honest old country lawyer from Seminole, and raised me to be a good and honest person and to take care of myself) did not even know any of this stuff. Reading an email to the whole Pride by the director saying I was going to be under a "thorough investigation" by the "university officials" made me a little worried about my status as a student! So I wrote a letter to President Boren(who I know, he's from Seminole, I worked for his son) telling him what was going on. I did in fact meet with him, but it wasn't regarding my expulsion from the University of Oklahoma like some people said on a public discussion board, and what Brian Britt alluded! He was proud of me for standing up for something, and that Brian Britt was wrong in the way he handled things. Out of respect for President Boren(he really is a great President), I'm not going to write some stuff he said, but he did say this, "You didn't do anything wrong!" He couldn't believe I was so worried and that I was silly for even contacting him. Oh..perhaps I shouldn't have done it anonymously, but there were many others behind it, I just paid for it($10) with my check card, so that's the name that showed up on the "whosit" tool, that Brian Britt pointed out to the whole Pride.

I think that the Pride has gone drastically down hill since Brian Britt has taken over. No I'm not an oldie, I was just in Pride from 02-05, but I have been to almost every home game since 1988, and have always loved the Pride, I really was sooner born and sooner bred, and so were my parents. When I first started in the Pride, I thought Brian Britt was this wonderful man too, I put him up there with my Dad(I heard stories, but just ignored them and blamed the "victim", but my junior and senior year I saw it clearly. I think the Pride has gone down hill primarily because of Brian Britt, that's enough that his job should be in jeopardy. But in addition to that, the way he has treated others, and reacted to certains situations like mine, and others that I know of FIRST HAND, his job should be in jeopardy even worse. A professional adult does not conduct himself the way he does, and a job like the director of the Pride of Oklahoma should be held at an even higher standard.

I hate that because of Brian Britt's words to the whole Pride about me that so many just automatically hated me, and they really didn't even know me personally. I don't hate Brian Britt, and the site is not "hateful" or "vicious." President Boren said that too. I think people that really know me personally, would not call me those things. I'm soft-spoken, I try to be a good person(I do fall short a lot) and I was a youth minister for the church of Christ at Seminole for heavens sakes! I'm not gonna brag on myself anymore, but if there were people here who know me personally were to describe me, I don't think they would describe me as Brian Britt and others did. I think they would describe me as President Boren did. Those people that wrote such stuff about me, and what they wanted to do to me hardly even know me! They didn't even contact me! Neither did Brian Britt until he got an email forwarded to him that I sent to the Exectutive Director of Kappa Kappa Psi telling him the whole situation and that I met with President Boren and the words President Boren had to say. (Kappa Kappa Psi was trying to expel me.) Remember the site is not all me, it voices the opinions of many folks, many who had gone to Brian Britt voicing concerns, and were condemned and sometimes threatened in a few instances. This is all a lot of rambling, but I just want to tell those who still are having problems believing those of us that question and criticize the current direction of the Pride.

So sorry for the length! Blessings!

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 10:39 PM
wonderful post

PrideTuba
8/30/2006, 10:40 PM

I am also holding my judgement of the band until I hear them on Saturday, but I am not holding judgement on Brian. Brian has done too many terrible things for me to forgive him.

royalfan5
8/30/2006, 10:51 PM
The whole time I have been a member of this board, I had never bother to read a thread about Brian Britt, because I assumed they were in just. I was shocked to see this much rancor over a marching band. Anyway carry on.

apusooner
8/30/2006, 11:44 PM

bingo.
one of the things my teacher here in LA preaches is that sure, we can sound like a great college band, parents will like it and so on.....but rehearsing the right way can be the difference in sounding like a college band and a pro band. imo, my band sounds pretty pro, thats why we are going to be on tv at some event in glendale for the abc station here. thats also why we can get away with putting out cd's and we get our way paid to hawaii for two weeks every summer. we are also going to japan and it's paid for. the rehearslas arent that hard, the kids in this band range from age 17-28. he just knows what he is doing. we dont settle for anything less than perfect and i dont see why any organization should, especially if you are going to play in public. the pride doesnt need different kids in the band, just someone who can push them a little further.
i realize what i am talking about is a little different between the two bands. we have about 20 people who want to be professional musicians and the pride is made up of mostly people who want to have fun, but that doesnt mean you cant push them. it doesnt take much either, thats why roland was so good.

apusooner
8/30/2006, 11:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GottaHavePride again.

dammit

GottaHavePride
8/30/2006, 11:54 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to GottaHavePride again.

dammit

awwwwwriiiiiiight.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b211/imMX22/Quagmire.gif

GottaHavePride
8/31/2006, 12:02 AM
my band sounds pretty pro, thats why we are going to be on tv at some event in glendale for the abc station here. thats also why we can get away with putting out cd's and we get our way paid to hawaii for two weeks every summer. we are also going to japan and it's paid for.

I'm thinking I need to just move out there and get after it.

Go Team Venture!

PrideTrombone
8/31/2006, 05:01 PM
The whole time I have been a member of this board, I had never bother to read a thread about Brian Britt, because I assumed they were in just. I was shocked to see this much rancor over a marching band. Anyway carry on.

That's because Nebraska's marching band is teh lame. :)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2006, 05:29 PM

You mean the vinyl/plastic band of the North?

royalfan5
8/31/2006, 05:33 PM
Preaching to the choir on that one. With the advent of PA systems the Nebraska band is completely superflous. What Nebraska needs to do is model their band after the HBCU's. That'd be sweet.

PrideTrombone
8/31/2006, 05:34 PM
Preaching to the choir on that one. With the advent of PA systems the Nebraska band is completely superflous. What Nebraska needs to do is model their band after the HBCU's. That'd be sweet.

But then you'd have to teach cornfed white kids to ghetto dance. Not an easy task.

royalfan5
8/31/2006, 05:35 PM
But then you'd have to teach cornfed white kids to ghetto dance. Not an easy task.
Or you could just recruit kids from the South. I don't think there are any regulations about improper benefits for the band.