PDA

View Full Version : Redshirting McCoy?

soonerkaufman
8/28/2006, 09:41 PM
We ended up having to redshirt last years #1 DT prospect and again it will happen this year? Am I getting the correct information on McCoy that it has nothing do with his weight, stamina, or injuries. We are simply way to talented on the D-line to make room for him.

Whoa....I sure would like to see him on the D-line this year.

Soonerus
8/28/2006, 09:53 PM
I'd be surprised if he redshirts...

goingoneight
8/28/2006, 09:58 PM
He's a dedicated individual, and sometimes when you're "stacked with talent" is when you are also least effective at the you-name-it position. If we need him, we know Stoops and Venables are willing to pull his Redshirt because they both say they strongly believe in him. I know a year off will not only benefit him in weight training, but he'll stay healthy for when we need him. I don't see him running off for another school like Tommy Grady did. He seems proud to be a Sooner, the kind that waited his whole life for the title.

Desert Sapper
8/29/2006, 01:38 AM
From the way I understand it, OUr D-Line has been really fighting hard to determine the rotation. McCoy ended up in the third string, so it makes sense that we redshirt him, given that we can already rotate four or more DTs without putting in a freshman. Pendleton and Coleman are the first string, Granger and Bennett are second, and Blackard and McCoy are third. Given that all indications show us not having much drop-off in the depth, it looks pretty good for the present and the foreseeable future. Everything is speculation right now, though.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 10:52 AM
b-but, he was a 5* and the #1 DT in the nation? i mean i can understand him not beating out granger, he was a 5* and also the #1 DT in the nation, but how can he not beat out a 2*, a 3* and a 4*?

;) ;)

RiddlerOK
8/29/2006, 10:58 AM
I was wondering the same thing myself........let's see if the injury bug bites anyone of the linemen again this year.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 11:24 AM
I'm so glad jkm is here to inject a serious attitude to these discussions.

badger
8/29/2006, 12:50 PM
b-but, he was a 5* and the #1 DT in the nation? i mean i can understand him not beating out granger, he was a 5* and also the #1 DT in the nation, but how can he not beat out a 2*, a 3* and a 4*?

;) ;)
think of it in Scientology* terms--- an OT VII (Tom Cruise) can be more nuts than and OT VIII (John Travolta).

(I don't know if that's true or not, I don't pay attention to Scientology*)

*Scientology is a registered trademark of some made up crap.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 01:00 PM
why do you hate l ron hubbard?

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 01:02 PM
We may never see a DT like Tommie again. It's kinda like Casillas or Selmon a once every 10-15 year type guy. McCoy and Granger may be good players but the HS hype these guys get is probably a bit much.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 01:30 PM
i've never seen anyone contradict themselves in a post more than you do

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 01:33 PM
All I meant was you can't believe the hype of ever number 1 DT like we seem to. Very few guys can be stars from the get go at DT.

badger
8/29/2006, 02:30 PM
high school hype is why fooseball players don't jump to the nfl like basketball players jump to the nba so easily.

muscle, experience, training--- that matters a lot more in football than individual talent in basketball. you actually have to practice plays--- you can't dunk every two seconds.

although, it would be cool if they started giving up two points for dunking a football between the uprights after plays.
example of football dunk:
http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/image/2001/93001/2schroeder0930.jpg

Desert Sapper
8/29/2006, 09:06 PM
All I meant was you can't believe the hype of ever number 1 DT like we seem to. Very few guys can be stars from the get go at DT.

Especially when they have talented upperclassmen in front of them. Just because we are good enough in the middle for Granger and McCoy not to start doesn't automatically mean that they aren't extremely talented with all the potential that came with their hype. Granger got hurt last season and was forced to redshirt. Granger's in the two deep and will play in the rotation this year. McCoy will play in the rotation next year. The coaches have been very high on both kids. The fact is that we have more experienced players that won their starting jobs this summer in front of them.

We all know that Tommie was very special.

"It's almost like in the days of Joe Washington,'' Oklahoma defensive line coach Jackie Shipp said. "When the ball was snapped, everyone looked to see what Joe would do. As a defensive tackle, we all want to see what Tommie is going to do next.'"

We have a ton of talent (which doesn't always translate into success) in OUr three-deep. Let's wait to pass judgement until after we've seen these guys play. Whether Granger or McCoy is the next Tommie Harris or Lee Roy Selmon (impossible) is irrelevant. What is relevant is that they have the ability to free our superstar DEs and LBs to make some big plays.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 09:50 PM
high school hype is why fooseball players don't jump to the nfl like basketball players jump to the nba so easily.

that and the fact that they aren't allowed too

tommie came into a situation where we paper thin at his position. that isn't the case anymore.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 10:11 PM
If Tommie Harris came on campus now he would probably start. Nothing against the guys we have there now but Tommie as a freshman was a lot better then anyone on campus right now.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 10:21 PM
do you remember his freshman year? he was so prima donnaish that he would have definitely been redshirted this year. barking about wanting to transfer to texas all summer. then throwing a cheap shot 40 yards downfield that cost TGRW an INT return for a TD. physically he could have played, maturity-wise, no way. our best returning tackle that year was kory klein.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/29/2006, 10:25 PM
If Tommie Harris came on campus now he would probably start. Nothing against the guys we have there now but Tommie as a freshman was a lot better then anyone on campus right now.
If Tommie Harris started for us, we'd have to forfeit games.

Desert Sapper
8/29/2006, 10:27 PM

First off, THAN is used in comparisons, not THEN.

Second, I'm absolutely certain that you are basing all this on having seen all the guys that are on campus now play....right? Or is it that you've magically whisked Tommie circa 2001 in via some sort of time machine to compete for PT? Nobody can know how good these kids are until they play at least a little D-I ball. It sure would suck if somebody casually dismissed Tommie before he even played, saying 'Kelly Gregg as a freshman was a lot better than anyone on campus right now'. You don't know how good they are (other than against each other). Neither do we. Neither does Bob or Jackie or Brent. Wait until their careers are over to make comparisons (positive or negative). Until then, they are just like Tommie was as a freshman...pure potential.

Desert Sapper
8/29/2006, 10:49 PM
tommie came into a situation where we paper thin at his position. that isn't the case anymore.

Exactly. I think we only had Kory Klein and Barry Holleyman coming back. The year before (2000 -- National Champs), we were LOADED, but Ryan Fisher, Corey Callens, Jeremy Wilson-Guest, and Ramon Richardson were Seniors. Chike Ozumba switched to O-Line.

So...Tommie was one of 3, maybe 4 (if you count Dusty) scholly D-Tackles that year. He was great, don't get me wrong, but he was forced into the rotation way earlier than they wanted him to be. No doubt he would be RS this year.

stoopified
8/30/2006, 10:44 AM
Unless there is a HUGE talent difference between players Bob usually goes witn experience.In this case Bennet,Coleman,and Pendelton have game time and practice tine on their side over McCoy,Granger is widely viewed as a talent equal to McCoy and he too has the edge in practice time and knowing the system.McCoy will play if the injury bug bites otherwise why waste a year of Eligibilty as a deep reserve.