PDA

View Full Version : My trip to the dentist today...

Okla-homey
8/28/2006, 06:09 PM
Cleaning and exam.

Here's he dealio. He recommends replacement of every filling in my Okie head with crowns (gold or porcelain, my choice, price is the same.) Says those cheap-o GI amalgam fillings which have been in my head for 20+ years are breaking down and I'll be racked with pain unless I let him replace all 6 at about 600.00 each stat.

I think I'm going to get a second opinion.

Newbomb Turk
8/28/2006, 06:52 PM
My dentist is starting to tell me the same crap. So far, I have two crowns. Some of the old fillings, he just drills out and replaces. I think it's just a racket - my teeth feel fine.

Okla-homey
8/28/2006, 06:57 PM
My dentist is starting to tell me the same crap. So far, I have two crowns. Some of the old fillings, he just drills out and replaces. I think it's just a racket - my teeth feel fine.

That is precisely what I suspect. These guys are faced with age 40+ boomers who have good teeth and they gotta figger an angle to make some dough cuz they aren't all rotten like our grandparents' teeth were at that age.

I say, a pox on dentists houses who recommend unnecessary procedures. bastages.

Anybody got a good dentist in Tulsey who won't pull that carp?

olevetonahill
8/28/2006, 07:10 PM
Tulsa VA clinic ?
Va been taking care of my dental for 16 yrs

Newbomb Turk
8/28/2006, 07:10 PM
Anybody got a good dentist in Tulsey who won't pull that carp?

My dentist is an aggie (who went to the OU school of dentistry), he works in OKC, and he pulls that carp. So I can't recommend him.

BajaOklahoma
8/28/2006, 07:40 PM
I have a good friend who is a dentist in OKC.
A very nice guy. I'd trust him.

Sooner98
8/28/2006, 11:23 PM
I think I'm going to get a second opinion.

Good idea. It's also preferable to have the dentist show you visible evidence that they are breaking down. Many dentists have those little oral cameras that they can take a picture of, and put it up on the TV or computer screen. Just keep in mind that there are unethical people in every profession looking to line their pockets, including dentistry. Good luck in finding a good one.

critical_phil
8/28/2006, 11:27 PM
$3600?

no offense intended, but i put 4 kids through braces. $3600 is like a rounding error compared to that.....

AlbqSooner
8/28/2006, 11:56 PM
I knew a dentist in Tulsa who was very good. Unfortunately, when the OBNDD obtained a search warrant for his files and records, particularly records of Schedule II drugs, the office burned to the ground before they could get from the Judge's chambers to the Dentist's office. I kinda think he is no longer practicing - something about arson or some such.

proud gonzo
8/28/2006, 11:57 PM
i don't know anybody in Tulsa, but I can recommend and AWESOME dentist in Wichita.

GottaHavePride
8/28/2006, 11:59 PM
Arson is a funny word. why do we call it arson, when "burning **** down that oughtn't to be burned down" is much more descriptive.

;)