PDA

View Full Version : Norman gameday traffic savvy peeps

Okla-homey
8/28/2006, 05:25 PM
please hook a brutha up.

Starting from I-35 and proceeding southbound towards Norman.

What would be the most expeditious and efficient way to arrive at 103 W. Boyd, Norman America around tailgate commencement?

Assume nothing, I'm talking detailed instructions here please.

Yes, I am aware of all the map programs, but I am relying on you people who know the traffic patterns (and routes to avoid) to give us good, sane steering instructions.

TIA

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 05:31 PM
i branch off I-35 onto the one highway, by the air conditioner place. i then drive to the stoplight across from the sonic and take a left. i take that road all the way to the road the hospital is on. i turn right and it takes me to the street that goes behind the duck pond.

LilSooner
8/28/2006, 05:35 PM
I would go down Sooner and come down the back way. But that's just me.

Oh wait, I think that's what Hamhock said.

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2006, 05:37 PM
i branch off I-35 onto the one highway, by the air conditioner place. i then drive to the stoplight across from the sonic and take a left. i take that road all the way to the road the hospital is on. i turn right and it takes me to the street that goes behind the duck pond.

Can you please interpret that into actual man directions?

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 05:38 PM
Can you please interpret that into actual man directions?

what good would that do you?

;)

GottaHavePride
8/28/2006, 05:39 PM
i branch off I-35 onto the one highway (77 South), by the air conditioner (York Intl.) place. i then drive to the stoplight across from the sonic (Robinson) and take a left. i take that road all the way to the road the hospital is on (Porter). i turn right and it takes me all the way to Boyd. Then turn right and you're there.

Fixed, I think. ;)

King Crimson
8/28/2006, 05:40 PM

that one highway: 77/N. Flood
Sonic stoplight: Robinson
Hospital road: Porter, but turns into Classen around Boyd somewhere, if i recall

that's what i'm guessin'.

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 05:44 PM
Fixed, I think. ;)

thanks.

Okla-homey
8/28/2006, 05:52 PM
Okay, are all agreed this is the "textbook solution" for arriving via 35 at the tailgate on gameday given the normal traffic situation?

I-35 to 77 South. Left on Robinson at the Sonic. Proceed on Robinson to Porter and then turn right on to Porter. Then, proceed on Porter to Boyd and turn right...and its party time.

Vaevictis
8/28/2006, 09:29 PM
My father (who is a wizard at central Norman backstreets, having been a paper boy here as a kid) usually takes Robinson east to Peters south, which will take you all the way to (I think) Eufaula... we go west on Eufaula and usually park at the church parking lot on Eufaula & Webster -- they do not require payment (but do accept donations) for parking. We then walk down Webster, which turns into Asp.

Unless there's plenty of parking at the tailgate (I don't know either way about that), I would be disinclined to try and actually drive all the way to Boyd on game day.

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 09:31 PM
homey - those are the directions dean suggested to me as well

critical_phil
8/28/2006, 09:43 PM
stop by and pick me up, then we'll drive down souf western.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/28/2006, 09:46 PM
Souf Western is going to be a biyatch. It bottlenecks at 149th St everyday at rush hour. Gameday will be the same thing.

You can go south on Sunnylane or on Sooner and then go west on Boyd.

SoonerBorn68
8/28/2006, 09:49 PM
I wonder since everyone knows the "short cuts", if it really is a short cut. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/28/2006, 09:51 PM
I wonder since everyone knows the "short cuts", if it really is a short cut. ;)Well when I cross over I-35 after a game and see the traffic backed up, it makes sense to me./

critical_phil
8/28/2006, 09:53 PM
western actually used to be a great route to the game. now, as SBSB said, not so much.

we've got too many people over here. there's no more room to even build any more houses.....until the next tornado clears some space.

SoonerBorn68
8/28/2006, 10:30 PM
Here's a map of the area.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/farks/homeyhelpmap.jpg

SoonerBorn68
8/28/2006, 10:38 PM
My official shortcut is different since I have to come from the south, but my grandfather's "never fail" shortcut (since he lived on the corner of Iowa & Lahoma) is this:

Take 77 south from I-35
77 turns into Flood.
Turn east on Iowa
Turn south on University (important since it has a light at the Main intersection)
East on Commanche
South on Webster & it'll get you to the 100 block of Boyd

You can take Univerisity all the way down to Boyd, but there's a carpload of traffic.

Dio
8/28/2006, 10:44 PM
Am I the only one trying to figure out where the Sonic is at Flood and Robinson?

King Crimson
8/28/2006, 10:54 PM
Am I the only one trying to figure out where the Sonic is at Flood and Robinson?

I was guessing he meant the A&W that is or used to be just west of the intersection.

the sooner geek
8/28/2006, 11:47 PM
I was guessing he meant the A&W that used to be just west of the intersection.

fixed.

That location is a used/rental car lot. There is also a car lot on the Southeast corner of that intersection.

Jus' Sayin'

Hamhock
8/29/2006, 08:53 AM
I was guessing he meant the A&W that is or used to be just west of the intersection.

that's right. i was gonna say "drive-up thingy", but didn't want to sound ignorant.

ultimatesooner1
8/29/2006, 10:49 AM
you can take penn south to aviod the gridlock @ the 4 ways stop on western

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2006, 10:58 AM
I have a new location to get to this year. I'll be coming up north on I-35 and need to get to Boyd and Classen. What's the fastest way to do this. It will be well before the game, so I'm not worried too much about traffic, but would like a good, short route.

TIA

Hamhock
8/29/2006, 10:58 AM
I have a new location to get to this year from the south. I'll be coming up I-35 and need to get to Boyd and Claussen. What's the fastest way to do this. It will be well before the game, so I'm not worried too much about traffic, but would like a good, short route.

TIA

helicopter

YWIA

Boarder
8/29/2006, 11:02 AM
I have a new location to get to this year. I'll be coming up north on I-35 and need to get to Boyd and Classen. What's the fastest way to do this. It will be well before the game, so I'm not worried too much about traffic, but would like a good, short route.

TIA
If you come up a few hours before the game the traffic is nothing. Just go to hwy 9 east to 77 north to classen. Drive up Classen to Boyd.

I'm glad someone said something. I was like, "WHAT SONIC?!!?!!?"

Hamhock
8/29/2006, 11:34 AM
I'm glad someone said something. I was like, "WHAT SONIC?!!?!!?"

I am not a smart man.

Soonrboy
8/29/2006, 11:41 AM
Here's how I go from my house at Sooner and Rock Creek...go Sooner to Robinson...turn west on Robinson...Go past the Griffin hospital grounds and turn left on that road ..I forget the name. There's a baseball practice field right there on the left ...Take that road over to Main Street..turn west on Main Street and start looking to make a left. Any of the lefts should get you to Alameda. Turn right onto Alameda, then right before the funeral home is Ponca...Ponca will take you right to Boyd...very nice and short. No traffic.