PDA

View Full Version : And now, a message from Broken Lizard

bri
8/28/2006, 02:05 PM
Ladies & Gentlemen,

As you know by now the number one film in America this weekend was MIRACLE 2: MARKY MARK IN CLEATS.

As you probably also know BEERFEST is f*cking great. You've seen our comment board, you've talked to your friends, you've probably already seen the movie.

So you're probably asking yourself how did a football comedy beat out a Broken Lizard movie???

Well here's your answer...

It doesn't f*cking matter.

What matters now is that YOU keep BEERFEST in theaters so that your friends, and everyone else in the world will get to see BEERFEST on the big screen.

This is a grassroots comedy campaign of epic proportions. We are asking YOU, the fans, to mobilize and get the word out about BEERFEST. Here are 10 things you can do to spread the word:

1.) REPOST THIS MESSAGE
2.) Copy & Paste this message into an email and tell all of your friends to see BEERFEST this week. And then tell them to forward it along.
3.) Blog this message or throw it up on your website.
4.) Send a MySpace Comment to a friend telling them to go see BEERFEST.
5.) Poke a friend on Facebook and then tell them about BEERFEST.
6.) Buy a ticket for BEERFEST, then walk into another movie and tell everyone in that theater to go see BEERFEST instead.
7.) Put the poster up as your default picture on MySpace
8.) Text message all the numbers in your cell phone with "BEERFEST"
9.) Throw a BEERFEST party. Round up your friends, drink some brew, go see the movie, repeat.
10.) When a telemarketer calls you, instead of them selling you something, you sell them on BEERFEST.

The power is your hands people. Visit us (www.myspace.com/therealbrokenlizard) and update us with your efforts.

We sincerely appreciate all of your support.

Cheers,

BROKEN LIZARD

http://www.beerfestmovie.com
http://www.brokenlizard.com

yermom
8/28/2006, 02:06 PM
i can't believe i haven't seen this movie yet

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 02:10 PM
Earlier I hypothesized that this movie was made of liquid win. I was in error. It is, in fact, beer. The beer is comprised mostly of win, though.

Seriously, guys. This should be mandatory viewing. SicEm? This might even make you want to drink beer, dude. There is hope for you yet. :D

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 02:16 PM
Little known fact about me: I have a huge crush on Kevin Heffernan. I think he's totally cute.

Oh and... Das BOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

silverwheels
8/28/2006, 02:18 PM
I'll probably see this movie sometime this week.

PhilTLL
8/28/2006, 02:20 PM
I walked up to the box office the other day, laid down $100, said "12 to anything but Beerfest, Accepted, or Snakes on a Plane" and walked away. You people know that eventually they'll quit making good movies if all you ever pay for is crap, right?

See the excellent "Little Miss Sunshine" instead. The fact that it beat Beerfest in the weekend gross is proof that SOMETHING is still right in the world.

Beef
8/28/2006, 02:23 PM
:pop:

silverwheels
8/28/2006, 02:25 PM
So I suppose it's entirely impossible for one person, such as me, to want to see both Beerfest and Little Miss Sunshine, with the odds that I would like both.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 02:25 PM
I walked up to the box office the other day, laid down $100, said "12 to anything but Beerfest, Accepted, or Snakes on a Plane" and walked away. You people know that eventually they'll quit making good movies if all you ever pay for is crap, right?

See the excellent "Little Miss Sunshine" instead. The fact that it beat Beerfest is proof that SOMETHING is still right in the world.
It's uh... like possible to enjoy both movies and stuff. In fact, I saw them back to back. I try to take entertainment in the spirit in which it's intended.

Beef
8/28/2006, 02:26 PM
It's uh... like possible to enjoy both movies and stuff. I try to take entertainment in the spirit in which it's intended.
Heh. You said spirit.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 02:29 PM

See the excellent "Little Miss Sunshine" instead. The fact that it beat Beerfest in the weekend gross is proof that SOMETHING is still right in the world.

Too smart for the humor, huh? That's kind of sad.

PhilTLL
8/28/2006, 02:30 PM
Too smart for the humor, huh? That's kind of sad.

Getting the jokes doesn't make them funny. See also Molly Shannon. :P

And, anyone here is welcome to see and pay for whatever movies they want, but I feel an obligation to counter the literal, viral marketing of the original post. :)

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2006, 02:32 PM
SUPERSTAR!!

bri
8/28/2006, 02:32 PM
Ah, I wish I was pretentious. It looks like so much fun!

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 02:33 PM
Well, if you're not laughing, are you really "getting" it? I'm the same way about some of the Scary Movie type movies.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 02:34 PM

I vote we make this a new requirement for clique membership.

PhilTLL
8/28/2006, 02:35 PM
Well, if you're not laughing, are you really "getting" it? I'm the same way about some of the Scary Movie type movies.

To my mind, "getting" a joke is understanding why it's supposed to be funny. Whether that's so is another matter, as in Scary Movie, which is another of those series in the "Why I have HBO" file.

I did love the hell out of "Talladega Nights," though, which is hardly a master's thesis of a movie.

royalfan5
I saw Beerfest and enjoyed, sure it's lowbrow, but I can't spend all my spare time reading Kierkegaard.

NormanPride

I made a specific point of wearing an "I don't want to be in your clique" shirt when I went into the student union. People laughed, but I think they got the message. Sheep.

silverwheels

It's more fun than you think...

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 02:37 PM
To my mind, "getting" a joke is understanding why it's supposed to be funny. Whether that's so is another matter, as in Scary Movie, which is another of those series in the "Why I have HBO" file.

Understandable. Do you just never laugh, or do you just not laugh enough to buy an overpriced movie ticket for it? 'Cause I still laugh some at the Scary Movie types, just not enough.

PhilTLL
8/28/2006, 02:38 PM
Understandable. Do you just never laugh, or do you just not laugh enough to buy an overpriced movie ticket for it? 'Cause I still laugh some at the Scary Movie types, just not enough.

Ding ding ding!

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2006, 02:38 PM
I go to school all the time...the last thing I want to do is go to a movie and have to think of all of the moral implications. There is a reason, Matt Stone and Trey Parker movies are doing ALOT better than Tom Cruise movies. People don't go to theatres to be educated. This is why Movie Ticket sales are down.

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 02:39 PM
what is the movie about?

PhilTLL
8/28/2006, 02:43 PM
I go to school all the time...the last thing I want to do is go to a movie and have to think of all of the moral implications. There is a reason, Matt Stone and Trey Parker movies are doing ALOT better than Tom Cruise movies.

Except Stone/Parker tend to make very layered, implication-laden comedies, at least when they're good (South Park and the South Park movie). Tom Cruise's career is falling apart because of his crazy brain-wash $cientology life, and besides that, MI:3 is one of the least thinking action movies ever. :)

And people used to go to theatres with their brains on. The critical mind used to be something we engaged on a fairly regular basis. Look at the wasteland of TV. :P I don't know, maybe my pro-wres obsession takes up all my dumb-entertainment brain cells.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2006, 02:47 PM
To be fair, wrestling is more complicated than most movies including Brokeback Mountain ;)

bri
8/28/2006, 02:47 PM

But, if we do that we'll have to kick me out. You know, 'cause I'm a plebian.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 02:49 PM
what is the movie about?

Man's inhumanity to man.

Sooner_Bob
8/28/2006, 03:11 PM

I'll bet you didn't appreciate Napoleon Dynamite either . . . didja.

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 03:12 PM
Beerfest begins with a stern warning over a black screen stating that if you drink as much alcohol as the characters in this movie drink you will, in no uncertain terms, die. And believe me, the characters do drink..

The crew in Beerfest plays off each other well, and when they work together as a team it’s easy to get caught up in their camaraderie.

The action then turns to them recruiting old drinking buddies all played by Broken Lizard familiars. These include a Jewish scientist Steve Finklestein with a mad-on for Germans, a champion competition eater named Landfill, and the best player of pool and drinking games around Barry Badrinath. This guy can toss quarters like nobody’s business, when he’s not offering handjobs that is.

Damn fraternities...

Pricetag
8/28/2006, 03:15 PM
IMO, the very message that started this thread is pretentious. It implies that Invincible is crap, just another moneymaker churned out by a big studio, but the fact is that the parties behind both these movies are after the same thing--bucks. I can appreciate the humor in the message, but I don't think for a second that these guys are sending it out because they want to share the greatness that is their comedy with the world.

yermom
8/28/2006, 03:19 PM
actually, if you watch the little documentary on the Puddle Cruiser DVD these guys started very grass roots and seem like really good guys

watching them try to get people to see their movie for free was pretty funny

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 03:19 PM
IMO, the very message that started this thread is pretentious. It implies that Invincible is crap, just another moneymaker churned out by a big studio, but the fact is that the parties behind both these movies are after the same thing--bucks. I can appreciate the humor in the message, but I don't think for a second that these guys are sending it out because they want to share the greatness that is their comedy with the world.
I guess Bri gets to stay in after all.

PhilTLL
8/28/2006, 03:22 PM
I'll bet you didn't appreciate Napoleon Dynamite either . . . didja.

Decent, not amazing, doesn't hold up well, but it gets some points for originality. A dumb comedy is not always a bad one, hell, Anchorman is hilarious. Blazing Saddles is a classic. The Jerk was fashioned around...a jerk...and it's stomach-cramp-inducing. Etc.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 03:24 PM
So just to be clear... have you actually seen Beerfest?

PhilTLL
8/28/2006, 03:26 PM

Scored a freebie. And so very glad that was the case.

And, just to add another caveat, I actually bought Super Troopers on DVD. What happened to these guys? :P

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 03:26 PM

Don't act like people have to actually posses first hand knowledge of something they are criticizing or claiming to be an expert of.

:texan:

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 03:29 PM
Don't act like people have to actually posses first hand knowledge of something they are criticizing or claiming to be an expert of.

But if he was doing that, it would have been totally pretentious, and I was going to ask him to join my clique.

yermom
8/28/2006, 03:29 PM

you mean like God?

;)

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 03:32 PM
you mean like God?

;)

God does have first-hand knowledge of everything.

bri
8/28/2006, 03:50 PM

In my opinion, it implies that Invincible isn't their movie, and THAT is where they take issue. :D

And I DO think they're sending out the message (and having their fans repeat said message) because they want to share the greatness that is their comedy with the world. Which isn't to say that they DON'T want to make money, or be able to convince a studio to allow them to continue making movies; it's laughable to think those two aims are mutually exclusive.

toast
8/28/2006, 05:03 PM
It's uh... like possible to enjoy both movies and stuff. In fact, I saw them back to back. I try to take entertainment in the spirit in which it's intended.

ok, so which one did you actully buy the ticket for and which one did you just jump into the theater after the first one was over? ;)

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 05:04 PM
You try being married to that cheap bastard.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 05:06 PM
He has to save up for your shoes, right?

Oh God please don't hurt me...:O

toast
8/28/2006, 05:06 PM
hey, I'm married with three kids, we usually stick the youngest in my wife's purse with all the snacks.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 05:09 PM
I once had a purse in which I created a false bottom under which I could hide four 20 oz. bottles of soda. I used to use it for games too, but it looked too much like a backpack, so after 2001 it was a no go.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 05:12 PM
He has to save up for your shoes, right?

Oh God please don't hurt me...:O

I'll have you know I am a very thrifty shoe shopper. I have people here who will back me up on this. Third markdown at Dillards and Neiman Marcus' last call sale are my friends.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 05:30 PM
I'll have you know I am a very thrifty shoe shopper. I have people here who will back me up on this. Third markdown at Dillards and Neiman Marcus' last call sale are my friends.

I beg of you... school badger in the ways of the pump. She fears the stiletto!

bri
8/28/2006, 05:50 PM
I beg of you...whore up my future wife's wardrobe!

:D

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2006, 06:25 PM
Earlier I hypothesized that this movie was made of liquid win. I was in error. It is, in fact, beer. The beer is comprised mostly of win, though.

Seriously, guys. This should be mandatory viewing. SicEm? This might even make you want to drink beer, dude. There is hope for you yet. :D

Okay, IN! :D

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 06:25 PM
:D

You say that like it's a bad thing... ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2006, 06:28 PM
Heh, that party school link goes to a Waco Trib article.

bri
8/28/2006, 06:59 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing... ;)

Dude, look who you're talking to. The day I say that like it's anything REMOTELY resembling a bad thing is the day that all hell DOESN'T break loose in the Sponsors' Forum.

silverwheels
9/2/2006, 02:53 AM
Pretty funny movie. I liked the scene where they're all in the bathroom talking while they pee for what seems like forever; I recreated that scene after the outtakes. Longest urination of my life. Even the guys that sat near me and my lady friend gave me props for it after I left the bathroom.

MiccoMacey
9/2/2006, 03:00 AM
Still.

Own.

SO.

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 03:07 AM
Having seen neither Beerfest nor Invincible, but having seen Little Miss Sunshine I hereby declare that popcorn is indeed overpriced.

Little Miss Sunshine feels like a movie that should have been better. I enjoyed several parts of it, but the movie as a whole seemed really unsatisfying. I thought that the subtextual commentary on how pageant kids are really just strippers was laid on a little too thick at the end there. Plus, taking shots at pageant parents is hardly revolutionary-it's like condemning the clubbing of baby seals or something.

Dio
9/2/2006, 11:41 AM
-it's like condemning the clubbing of baby seals or something.

You say that like it's a bad thing...;)

SoonerAtKU
9/3/2006, 02:58 PM
And, just to add another caveat, I actually bought Super Troopers on DVD. What happened to these guys? :P

I was actually thinking about this the other day. With Super Troopers, the characters were realistic; actual characters in a semi-realistic situation. You've got your bored Staties and they stumble onto something bigger. With Club Dread, they went a little too far and were playing more caricatures. Hence, less funny.

Beerfest was a lot closer to Super Troopers, but still a little more insane and so not quite as good. I laughed a ton, though. Honestly, it will be tough to ever top ST in my eyes.

proud gonzo
9/3/2006, 05:51 PM
I would like to say I have not read any of this thread, but Beefrest sucked. Seriously. I'm glad I didn't pay for my ticket.

Sucked. A5S.

silverwheels
9/3/2006, 06:03 PM
I'm glad I paid for not only my ticket but the lady's ticket as well. I liked it.

proud gonzo
9/3/2006, 06:15 PM
i chuckled mildly at several parts.

royalfan5
9/3/2006, 06:26 PM
i chuckled mildly at several parts. Have you spent a lot of time binge drinking? If you haven't it probably is less funny than it is for folks who have a frequent basis. Just a theory.

proud gonzo
9/3/2006, 06:27 PM
i don't think there's anything funny about binge drinking. so there you go.

I'm also not an immature male. that probably also has something to do with it.

royalfan5
9/3/2006, 06:29 PM

Spoken like someone who has never passed out in a bathroom whilst wearing a kilt that was tick to small.

silverwheels
9/3/2006, 07:01 PM

I don't consider myself to be immature, and I'm sure a lot of the people that know me would agree. I just happen to like a wide variety of types of movies and this one made me laugh. A lot.

william_brasky
9/3/2006, 08:25 PM
I have read a few reviews on Beerfest. All negative. A few have referenced Porky's as a comparison.

Negative and Porky's do not belong in the same universe.

I shall go watch Beerfest soon.

Long live Porky's.

bri
9/3/2006, 08:50 PM
Basically, the questions you have to ask yourself are these: Do I like beer? Do I like sports movie/buddy comedy cliches? Are boobs something I take an interest in? If you answered "yes" to two or more of those, then this movie was made with you in mind. If you answered "no" to two or more...yeah, not so much.

It's really that simple.