PDA

View Full Version : Bomar finally gets into a school (Pop Corn State)

msteudem
8/28/2006, 12:10 PM
Bomar transfers to Sam Houston State

The Oklahoman

Ex-Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar will transfer to Sam Houston State, according to the New York Times.
Bomar was expected to enroll Monday, according to reports.

Teammate J.D. Quinn, who was dismissed from the team along with Bomar earlier this month for receiving extra compensation from a job at Norman car dealer Big Red Sports and Imports, has transfered to Montana.

Sam Houston State, a NCAA I-AA program, must apply to the NCAA for Bomar to become eligible.

Bomar set the single-game freshman passing record last season, when he threw for 2,018 yards for the Sooners. Bomar was the MVP of the Holiday Bowl.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2838221/

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/28/2006, 12:16 PM
Bomar set the single-game freshman passing record last season, when he threw for 2,018 yards for the Sooners. Bomar was the MVP of the Holiday Bowl.

I remember that day. AD ran for 880 yards.

First time in NCAA history a team put up over a mile and a half of offense.

JonnyRed
8/28/2006, 12:22 PM
What... 2,018 in one game! I must have missed that day.

King Crimson
8/28/2006, 12:23 PM
same old DO.:rolleyes:

John Kochtoston
8/28/2006, 12:39 PM
How bad is it that the NYTimes scooped them on this?

crawfish
8/28/2006, 12:45 PM
Well, at least he'll be discouraged from partying there... :rolleyes:

Blues1
"IF" -- He plays this year,,?? - He gets to face Texas on Sept 30th.....

Now what do you think will happen......:eek:

Keep R'

boomrsoonr

Heh, "single-game".

Anyways, I keep seeing all this record setting stuff about him and his freshman year.

What I don't remember is the last time OU had a freshman starter at the QB position. I'm sure it's happened, but I just don't remember it. And, it was probably either Cale Gundy, or it was during the wishbone days. So I'm not too impressed with his record, which should be removed from all books on OU's campus.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2006, 12:48 PM

Ha at all of you who questioned Chuck Long's playcalling!!

OklahomaTuba
8/28/2006, 12:50 PM
The best part was seeing Bomar score 20 TDs in that bowl game.

BoomerJack
8/28/2006, 12:55 PM
Heh, "single-game".

Anyways, I keep seeing all this record setting stuff about him and his freshman year.

What I don't remember is the last time OU had a freshman starter at the QB position. I'm sure it's happened, but I just don't remember it. And, it was probably either Cale Gundy, or it was during the wishbone days. So I'm not too impressed with his record, which should be removed from all books on OU's campus.

First one that comes to my mind is Troy Aikman, I believe, when someone was hurt.

jdsooner
8/28/2006, 12:56 PM
We salute the Bearkats of Sam Houston State!
http://www.shsu.edu/~ath_www/football/

2006 BEARKAT FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Date Time Opponent Site
Sept. 9 (Sat.) 6 p.m. ARKANSAS-MONTICELLO HUNTSVILLE
Sept. 16 (Sat.) 7 p.m. Southern Methodist University Dallas
Sept. 23 (Sat.) 6 p.m. Missouri State Springfield, MO
Sep. 30 (Sat.) TBA Texas Fox Pay-Per-View TV Austin
Oct. 7 (Sat.) 7 p.m. #Northwestern St. Fox Sports Southwest Natchitoches, LA
Oct. 14 (Sat.) 2 p.m. #NICHOLLS ST. Homecoming HUNTSVILLE
Oct. 19 (Thur.) 7 p.m. CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Fox Sports Southwest TV HUNTSVILLE
Oct. 28 (Sat.) 6 p.m. #McNEESE STATEParents Weekend HUNTSVILLE
Nov. 4 (Sat.) 6 p.m. #Stephen F. Austin State Nacogdoches
Nov. 11 (Sat.) 6 p.m. #Southeastern Louisiana Hammond, LA
Nov. 18 (Sat.) 2 p.m. #TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS HUNTSVILLE

#Southland Conference football game
Times and dates subject to change

sendbaht
8/28/2006, 01:04 PM
I wish him well!

Tiptonsooner
8/28/2006, 01:04 PM
August 28, 2006

HUNTSVILLE -- Rhett Bomar, who passed for 2,018 yards and 10 touchdowns as a freshman quarterback for the University of Oklahoma last year, has enrolled at Sam Houston State University.

Director of Athletics Bobby Williams and Head Football Coach Todd Whitten announced Bomar’s decision to attend Sam Houston State Monday.

“This is a unique situation and we look forward to assisting Rhett in continuing his education and athlete career. We will begin the restatement process for Rhett with the NCAA as soon as possible,” Williams said. “There is no exact time table for how long this process will take, but we will do everything possible to expedite the procedure.”

The 6-2, 215 pound quarterback from Grand Prairie, earned “Most Valuable Player” honors in last year’s Holiday Bowl where he led the Sooners to victory over Oregon. Bomar led Oklahoma to victories over Kansas State, Kansas, Baylor, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State during the regular season.

“We’re happy to welcome Rhett as a Bearkat,” Whitten said. “He is a good student and a good athlete and we are glad to have him here in the program.”

Transfer quarterbacks have had success at Sam Houston State before. Chris Chaloupka (Oklahoma State), Josh McCown (SMU), and Dustin Long (Texas A&M) all became Southland Conference “Players of the Year” for the Bearkats.

Chaloupka passed for 2,503 yards and 21 touchdowns in 1999. McCown and Long both earned NCAA Division I-AA All-America honors in 2001 and 2004, respectively, leading Sam Houston to Southland Conference titles and the I-AA national playoffs.

McCown passed for 3,481 yards and 32 touchdowns in 2001. leading the Kats to the NCAA Division I-AA quarterfinals. Long threw for 4,588 yards and 39 touchdowns, taking Sam Houston to the NCAA Division I-AA semifinals.

The
8/28/2006, 01:08 PM
"Come on Rhett! We gotta get fired up! Southeastern Louisiana is gonna be ready for us..."

jdsooner
8/28/2006, 01:11 PM
I wish him well!
Why? I hope his parents enjoy Parents Weekend with McNeese State!:D

Octavian
8/28/2006, 01:17 PM
First one that comes to my mind is Troy Aikman, I believe, when someone was hurt.

Aikman started a game his freshman year b/c Danny Bradley was hurt. In OU's only conference loss of the '84 season (in Lawrence) Troy was pitiful.

Gundy started the majority of his freshman year after Pat Jones called time-out late in the second quarter, leaving a few seconds on the clock for Cale to throw a hail mary touchdown pass.

Although Bomar a fumbled a few snaps a game and made highlight reels for opposing linebackers, he did score 33 touchdowns against KState.

Sam Houston State huh?

<shakes head>

RedstickSooner
8/28/2006, 01:21 PM
I remember that day. AD ran for 880 yards.

First time in NCAA history a team put up over a mile and a half of offense.

Indeed, Beano. In fact, it was that game, with its 3,000 yards of total offense, that *really* got me pumped for this season. And was part of my disappointment at losing Rhomar like we did.

Even if Stoops did seem optimistic, with his quote of, "I'm sure we can find someone around here who can throw for 2,000 yards in a game."

I have to confess, I don't necessarily agree with Stoops on that one. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong with his "Start the guy who hasn't really looked like a 'quarterback' at the position and fake 'em all out" technique.

Joe87OU1
8/28/2006, 01:24 PM
I hope BRSI doesn't have a "branch" location in Houston.

Joe87OU1
8/28/2006, 01:26 PM
Oh, and one more thing: Isn't Huntsville the location of the Texas prison? Is there a connection I am missin' here? :-)

Taxman71
8/28/2006, 01:27 PM
I believe Eric Moore was a freshman in 1995 and started most games.

JohnnyMack
8/28/2006, 01:28 PM
I'd actually root for Saxet if he played in the game.

colleyvillesooner
8/28/2006, 01:28 PM

If he was reinstated by then, I wonder how many Sooners would show up to root for SMU?

Octavian
8/28/2006, 01:31 PM

We had a team in 1995?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2006, 01:32 PM

Playing for John Blake pretty much eliminated any players from any shots at "Offensive Records" Well at least non-penalty related records anyway

C&CDean
8/28/2006, 01:41 PM
Does this mean we can finally quit seeing Bomar threads? Geez, who gives a ****? The sooner you people can expunge him from your memory, the better. I'm sick of seeing/hearing about him.

Taxman71
8/28/2006, 02:09 PM
Agreed. RB should not be worth mentioning again, except as a footnote. And any Sooner cheering for the whorns to prevail...ever, much less against a former Sooner (albeit a dip$hit), should have their Sooner card permanently revoked.

SOONERKAT
8/28/2006, 02:27 PM
Well, this pretty much sucks. Now this tard will have played for both my schools. Gonna be real hard to root against my Kats, but that said, it will be fun to see toolbox there run for his life against Tejas. He thought he had o-line concerns last year. They are going to tee off on his butt. That is, if he plays.

boomersooner82
8/28/2006, 02:31 PM
This is an exact quote from the end of the ESPN.com story

"Because the Bearkats of the Southland Conference play in Division I-AA, Romar would not have to sit out a season if the NCAA agrees to reinstate him."

I'm glad to see Brett Romar found a new home

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2006, 02:35 PM
He isn't getting re-instated this year, Bomar still has to pay back everything he owes and besides the NCAA isn't going to allow a person who committed a MAJOR violation get a 1 month suspension...he will NOT play this year no matter what.

colleyvillesooner
8/28/2006, 02:40 PM
He isn't getting re-instated this year, Bomar still has to pay back everything he owes and besides the NCAA isn't going to allow a person who committed a MAJOR violation get a 1 month suspension...he will NOT play this year no matter what.

You seem pretty sure of that. Jarrett's at USC was a major violation, accepting help for rent, wether he knew it or not. They told him to pay it to Charity and he was back on the team in under 2 months. And when it comes out, he'll probably owe pretty close to what Jarrett did. He could study the playbook the whole time and practice, then start when he gets reinstated.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/28/2006, 02:45 PM
Jarrett was never proven to have an intentional attempt to hide his deal from the NCAA. Bomar was much more deceitful

colleyvillesooner
8/28/2006, 02:50 PM
Jarrett was never proven to have an intentional attempt to hide his deal from the NCAA. Bomar was much more deceitful

You do know this is the NCAA we're talking about. Just take a poll of what everyone thinks shoud be done, reverse the answer and there's your verdict. :D

JohnnyMack
8/28/2006, 02:59 PM
Is that two former OU QB's on their roster now?

RiddlerOK
8/28/2006, 02:59 PM
Oh, and one more thing: Isn't Huntsville the location of the Texas prison? Is there a connection I am missin' here? :-)

I'd say the NCAA could save some money by sending their Texas and Big XII South violators to SHS just so they can be "reminded" of what happens if they make one more mistake. :D

MiccoMacey
8/28/2006, 03:05 PM

Bomar hasn't been proven of anything by the NCAA yet as well. They're still investigating the issue. I'd imagine they can't suspend him until such time as he is found guilty (at least according to me, who watches Law and Order enought to know the law :D).

Taxman71
8/28/2006, 03:08 PM
I believe he was automatically suspended when he was booted from OU. His status can only change by requesting NCAA reinstatement.

SOONERKAT
8/28/2006, 03:09 PM
Is that two former OU QB's on their roster now?

Yep. Noah Allen before he got tossed for the juice. He was there the same time Dustin Long from atm was there. SHSU, providing redemption one Big XII QB at a time!

MiccoMacey
8/28/2006, 03:13 PM
I believe he was automatically suspended when he was booted from OU. His status can only change by requesting NCAA reinstatement.

Thanks. I'd imagine if he were actually innocent and OU booted him and that caused him to be automatically suspended, there'd be some major litigation in the works for due process violations. Luckily he's guilty as homemade sin.

And who has to ask for his status to be changed...OU or the receiving institution. I always thought it was the offended institution, but others have intimated that the receiving institution can ask for reinstatement.

boomrsoonr
8/28/2006, 03:31 PM
I think, once a school dismisses a student, they have no further claim to him/her. Therefore, it would be the receiving school that would have to ask the NCAA gods to give him some mercy. There again, I think this is correct. If he was still a student at OU, then SHSU would have to get permission to even talk to him.

soonerlaw
8/28/2006, 04:00 PM
I think one of the old Tech QB's is also there. It would be great if RB had to ride the pine for a year or two behind another qb.

John Kochtoston
8/28/2006, 04:19 PM
Heh, "single-game".

That Holieway guy was pretty good. Didn't throw much, but he did OK for a freshman QB. :D

boomrsoonr
8/28/2006, 04:32 PM
That Holieway guy was pretty good. Didn't throw much, but he did OK for a freshman QB. :D

Hey now, don't be bringing up Jamelle! :D Like I said, it was during the wishbone days. But we are discussing a passing record here. ;)

BudSooner
8/28/2006, 07:19 PM
We salute the Bearkats of Sam Houston State!
http://www.shsu.edu/~ath_www/football/

2006 BEARKAT FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Date Time Opponent Site
Sept. 9 (Sat.) 6 p.m. ARKANSAS-MONTICELLO HUNTSVILLE
Sept. 23 (Sat.) 6 p.m. Missouri State Springfield, MO
Sep. 30 (Sat.) TBA Texas Fox Pay-Per-View TV Austin
Oct. 7 (Sat.) 7 p.m. #Northwestern St. Fox Sports Southwest Natchitoches, LA
Oct. 14 (Sat.) 2 p.m. #NICHOLLS ST. Homecoming HUNTSVILLE
Oct. 19 (Thur.) 7 p.m. CENTRAL ARKANSAS
Fox Sports Southwest TV HUNTSVILLE
Oct. 28 (Sat.) 6 p.m. #McNEESE STATEParents Weekend HUNTSVILLE
Nov. 4 (Sat.) 6 p.m. #Stephen F. Austin State Nacogdoches
Nov. 11 (Sat.) 6 p.m. #Southeastern Louisiana Hammond, LA
Nov. 18 (Sat.) 2 p.m. #TEXAS STATE-SAN MARCOS HUNTSVILLE

#Southland Conference football game
Times and dates subject to change

Central Ark looks like a toss up.:D

goingoneight
8/28/2006, 09:41 PM
What... 2,018 in one game! I must have missed that day.

Ba-Jesus!!! :eek: It's not like we're losing Jason White or anything... :D

goingoneight
8/28/2006, 09:47 PM
I'd actually root for Saxet if he played in the game.

I'm one to think it would be funny as hell if they lost to SHS.

2, 4, 6, 8... Sam Houston's not a State!!!

Soonerus
8/28/2006, 09:51 PM
Good Luck, Rhett....

soonerthanu
8/28/2006, 10:23 PM
:pop: :eek: :mad: :) :P :D :( ;) :texan: :rolleyes: :cool: :hot: :twinkies:

r5TPsooner
8/28/2006, 11:05 PM
Hopefully he will end up a better man than he was when at OU.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/28/2006, 11:58 PM
You know, Sam Houston may not be a good choice for Bomar. Why? Well Huntsville is just down the road from a famous Houston car dealership :texan: "Lawrence Marshall" where they clobber big city prices and need people to answer the "clobber line"...:D

fadada1
8/29/2006, 06:59 AM
i spent 2 years teaching at sam houston. let's just say the game day atmosphere and general football knowledge is "slightly less" than it is at OU. the average student (barely able to spell sam houston state), 1 - doesn't go to the games because they all go home on friday, 2 - could care less about bearkat football because they dream of being at a&m, 3 - have only been to the stadium because it's a great place to park for class, 4 - wouldn't know a footabll player if they drove by in a dealership car... and really don't care, 5 - think tailgating is 4 charcoal grills from walmart and a hibachi, all lined up in the aforementioned parking lot.

the corner at o'connells draws more people than SHSU games.

kinda sad, but they just don't care about football there... at least not bearkat football.