PDA

View Full Version : High And Low-lights Of My Trip To OKC

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 08:40 PM
I went down to OKC for a quick visit with the folks - left here about 6:30 Saturday morning and got back a couple of hours ago. I went down 169 to Tulsa and then down the turnpike to OKC - reversed it coming back. Here are a few things I noticed/experienced:

Listened to the 'Sports Animal' stations in both Tulsa and OKC. Damn they suck. I pity the fools that have this as their only sports radio option. I heard the promo where the guy with the worst hillbilly voice ever called the ex-OU qb 'Brett Bomar' about a dozen times.
One positive aspect of the Sports Animal listening: my first evar exposure to an LWM commercial.
Saw a lot of cars with 'Big Red Sports & Imports' signage. My first thought every time was "must be OSU fans".
Drove by Crossroads and thought of BSG's JB.
Saw Tulsa's hole... err... arena. ;)
Arena doesn't seem to be in as bad of a location as some people seem to think. At least it isn't as poorly located as Kemper.
While looking through the DO classifieds, I noticed that several of the cars listed in the 'Antiques/Classics' section were built while I was in high school. My parents thought this was pretty damn funny. :mad:
Saw in the DO that OKC is getting a Cheesecake Factory. Welcome to 1998. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 08:46 PM
Oh one other thing I forgot: found out that on my next trip down at the end of September, I will probably get to meet Sherri Coale. I'll be sure to take a camera because I know a lot of you hillbillies really have the hots for her.

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 08:50 PM
And, I averaged 34.6 mpg on the trip down while mostly going 80 with the air conditioner on.

Dio
8/27/2006, 08:55 PM
Is this a thread or a blog? ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/27/2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for letting us know you were here.

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 09:17 PM

You didn't get my message? ;)

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 09:20 PM

Seriously though... I woulda called or written some people to see if we could get together but pops had been sick and I wanted to spend some time with the folks.

XingTheRubicon
8/27/2006, 09:21 PM
If Derrick Thomas lived in OKC, he'd be alive right now.

Sooner98
8/27/2006, 09:41 PM
What's LWM?

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 09:47 PM
Some place you can buy spinners for your 'Slade, I think. ;)

TUSooner
8/27/2006, 09:51 PM
What's LWM?
Yeah, enlighten us inhabitants of elsewhere. Doesn't it have something to do with SoonerBoarder?

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 09:52 PM
Boarder owns LWM where he sells tires and wheels and stuff and makes commercials where he says evar.

TUSooner
8/27/2006, 10:00 PM
Boarder owns LWM where he sells tires and wheels and stuff and makes commercials where he says evar.
OK so "LWM" IS the name of Boarder's place; it's not some SO slang for the real name. doh :O

GDC
8/28/2006, 08:13 AM
Definite highlights include the food and the girls who work at the Greek House. Yum.

OUDoc
8/28/2006, 08:23 AM
He also has the 2 part VCR tape of "Titanic" in the waiting area. It's obvious he hates his customers.
At least I have magazines from 2002.
;)

yermom
8/28/2006, 10:24 AM
Definite highlights include the food and the girls who work at the Greek House. Yum.

i can confirm this :)

strangely enough i was in KC over the weekend

we need a Cheesecake Factory here, and more importantly Chipotle

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 10:28 AM
did you notice how Tulsa is much prettier than OKC? since we have the hills and everything....

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 10:41 AM
we need a Cheesecake Factory here...

Coming very soon to Penn Square Mall.

ALONG WITH A SEPHORA!!!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/28/2006, 10:45 AM
El Paseo del cruce chupa realmente malo ahora.

Que?

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 10:48 AM
El Paseo del cruce chupa realmente malo ahora.

Que?

Why thank you! I recently had it trimmed.

Sooner_Bob
8/28/2006, 10:49 AM
The Stroll of the crossing absorbs now really bad. That?

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 10:50 AM
Crossroads sucks hard.

yermom
8/28/2006, 10:52 AM
Coming very soon to Penn Square Mall.

ALONG WITH A SEPHORA!!!!

do they have good burritos?

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 10:54 AM
They may have cheesecake-flavored lipgloss. Got DAMN I love cheesecake.

Sooner_Bob
8/28/2006, 10:58 AM
Crossroads sucks hard.

absorbs really bad sounds so much nicer . . . :P

TopDaugIn2000
8/28/2006, 10:59 AM
Got DAMN I love cheesecake.

wurd

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/28/2006, 11:01 AM
I'm pretty sure I played a part in the 'low-lights' section of this trip...

And also: Mmm, cheesecake...

TopDaugIn2000
8/28/2006, 11:09 AM
and btw, I made the BEST coconut cream pie EVAR yesterday.
even packed a piece in with my lunch today. it RMFFO

Sooner_Bob
8/28/2006, 11:33 AM
mmmmmm, now I want cheesecake and lunch.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 12:20 PM
1. I had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory at Northpark in Dallas on Saturday night. That's like, the sixth different CF I've eaten at, and they are always, consistently, awesome.

2. Speaking of awesome, let's discuss the JB. I think the now infamous "Aye mommie" incident was at Sooner Fashion Mall, rather than Crossroads. Of course, I could be mistaken, but making this observation allowed me to discuss the JB, which is always enjoyable.

SoonerInKCMO
8/28/2006, 12:27 PM
2. Speaking of awesome, let's discuss the JB. I think the now infamous "Aye mommie" incident was at Sooner Fashion Mall, rather than Crossroads. Of course, I could be mistaken, but making this observation allowed me to discuss the JB, which is always enjoyable.

Ooh... I think you're right. For some reason, I just associate BSG and her JB with Crossroads. Maybe that picture of her with the big hair made me think that she only goes to Crossroads.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/28/2006, 12:55 PM
No, I believe it was in front of LeMans in Crossroads. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28771&highlight=juicy+booty

jdsooner
8/28/2006, 01:07 PM
I am going to KC this Sunday. I am going to watch the Royals and Yankees on Labor Day evening. Any dining suggestions for KC?

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 01:11 PM
I am going to KC this Sunday. I am going to watch the Royals and Yankees on Labor Day evening. Any dining suggestions for KC?

hereford house.

best CFS evar.

SoonerInKCMO
8/28/2006, 01:11 PM
No, I believe it was in front of LeMans in Crossroads. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28771&highlight=juicy+booty

Oh good - I was right the first time.

I should know better than to listen to BRJ. ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/28/2006, 01:12 PM
I would like to divert this conversation towards the fact that Boarder still loves DDR.

And it shows. I saw him just over a week ago and dude's like a little stick man. Teeny, even. Not wuss teeny - but manly teeny. Said he's been doing 'cardio'...phfffft. Cardio DDR, maybe.

STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! STOMP! STOMP!

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 01:13 PM
Well, they do have a Cheescake Factory in the Plaza.

My personal faves: Gates BBQ, Garozzo's for old-school Italian, and the Hereford House (think Cattlemens, but with good steaks). Also, Oklahoma Joe's has some really good BBQ.

Of course, I'm not from KC, so what do I know?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/28/2006, 01:15 PM
And those little boys still make me...uneasy.

Freakin' baby punks.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 01:15 PM
There's also another restaurant in the Plaza, and I can't remember the name, but it's across the street from Brush Creek, that has the best calimari I've eaten anywhere. EVAR.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 01:17 PM
One word of caution: I've heard the Plaza Cheesecake Factory has a problem with airborne, stinging insects.

SoonerInKCMO
8/28/2006, 01:30 PM
There's also another restaurant in the Plaza, and I can't remember the name, but it's across the street from Brush Creek, that has the best calimari I've eaten anywhere. EVAR.

Kona Grill? Baja 600?

I haven't had any good calimari in a long time.

As for my suggestions on dining, I'm a bit partial to Brio on the Plaza. Get upstairs if you get a chance. Loungy and with a nice bar and good views out on the Plaza. I also like Benton's Chop House on top of the Westin Crown Center hotel. About 20 floors up I think and it has nice views and good appetizers & desserts and very friendly service. I've never had an entree there so I'm not sure how they are.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 01:43 PM
Kona Grill? Baja 600?

I haven't had any good calimari in a long time...
Well, I just looked at a restaurant guide for the Plaza. I guess it might be Baja 600, but that name doesn't sound right. The location looks right on the little map. I know it's not Kona Grill. I've eaten at Kona too, and enjoyed it.

If it's not Baja 600, it might have closed and been replaced by them, or someone else. It was around 2000 when I ate there and enjoyed the calamari so much. Everyone in our party agreed it was the best we had every eaten. Not overcooked like most calamari. The sauce was also most excellent.

SoonerInKCMO
8/28/2006, 01:53 PM
If it's not Baja 600, it might have closed and been replaced by them, or someone else. It was around 2000 when I ate there and enjoyed the calamari so much. Everyone in our party agreed it was the best we had every eaten. Not overcooked like most calamari. The sauce was also most excellent.

Yeah, it's only been Baja 600 since 2003 I think. Don't know what it was before then.

Viking Kitten
8/28/2006, 02:18 PM
One word of caution: I've heard the Plaza Cheesecake Factory has a problem with airborne, stinging insects.

The rash-inducing kind?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/28/2006, 09:14 PM
My personal faves: Gates BBQ, MAY AH HEP YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/28/2006, 09:14 PM
One word of caution: I've heard the Plaza Cheesecake Factory has a problem with airborne, stinging insects.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SoonerInKCMO
8/28/2006, 09:15 PM
MAY AH HEP YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

I told you to be ready to order before she saw you so she wouldn't keep yelling at you... but would you listen? Noooooooo. ;)

BigRedJed
8/29/2006, 05:05 PM
MIXED PLATE!!

BudSooner
8/29/2006, 05:15 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Those are called side orders.;)