PDA

View Full Version : De'Mond Parker article

GDC
8/27/2006, 11:40 AM
Forgotten legacy
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
8/27/2006

De'Mond Parker's once-promising career is filled with 'what ifs'

De'Mond Parker has a succinct way to describe his National Football League career.

"Outta sight," said Parker, "outta mind."

Unfortunately, that description also works these days for the four tumultuous years Parker spent at the University of Oklahoma.

This summer's media fad has been to rank the greatest running backs in OU history. Adrian Peterson is the culprit for this craze; the Sooner junior is flirting with history at a school loaded with it.

A preseason Heisman Trophy candidate, Peterson could hold several school rushing records by the end of this season. And with the NFL beckoning, 2006 figures to be Peterson's last year at OU.

The interest in Peterson's dynamic talent has stirred debates and created lists. Seemingly everyone with a speck of OU football knowledge has produced an all-time list and decided where Peterson ranks on it.

The so-call experts seldom include Parker. That's sad. More importantly, it's dead wrong.

Remember Bum Phillips' comment about former Houston running back Earl Campbell? Asked if Campbell was the greatest back he'd seen, the ex-Oilers' coach said: "He may

not be at the head of the class, but whatever class he's in it doesn't take long to call the roll."

One could make a serious case that Parker belongs in a similar class at OU. After all, he remains the only Sooner to rush for more than 1,000 yards in a season three times.

So why has the former Tulsa Booker T. Washington standout quickly faded from memory even though he's been gone from Norman less than 10 years?

The primary reason is that Parker had the misfortune of being a Sooner during one of the most turbulent periods in OU history.

He was a redshirt freshman in Howard ***************'s one disastrous season. He then played three years for John Blake, who took the program to its lowest point in history.

"We had good players," Parker said. "But the coaches we had didn't put the right players in the right positions."

Blake's three-year circus took its toll on the 5-foot-10, 190-pound Parker. Things got so bad in Parker's junior season that OU changed quarterbacks seven times in one game, and scrapped the offensive scheme (Wishbone) it had worked on all spring and fall after the first game.

That incredible buffoonery resulted in a 12-22 record. It cost Blake his job and convinced Parker he needed a fresh start.

"We couldn't pass the ball, so I took a real beating my last year," Parker said. "Our coaches weren't the brightest guys."

Now 29, Parker returned to Tulsa after a short-lived professional career. He works a construction job while contemplating his future and wondering what might have been had he remained at OU for his senior season.

Tired of the pounding he took in 1998, Parker declared for the NFL draft after his junior season. He gave up his eligibility when he signed with super agent Leigh Steinberg just a few days before OU hired Bob Stoops to replace Blake.

Parker remains filled with regrets about his OU career. He's particularly sorry he didn't play his senior season for Stoops. He remains convinced that one season under Stoops would have ensured he was a first-round draft pick.

"I'd have made millions," Parker said. "I would be set for life."

With a baby daughter to support and disillusioned by his OU experience, Parker thought some NFL team would take him early in the 1999 draft. Instead, he waited until Green Bay selected him in the fifth round.

Even in hindsight, it's difficult to fault Parker's decision to leave OU early. He had no idea Stoops would turn OU around so quickly.

"If I could do it all over again, I would have definitely stayed in school," Parker said. "But I was young, and didn't know any better."

Done in by poor coaching at OU, he was further affected by bad advice. Agents convinced him he was ready for the NFL.

After all, he had ripped off a Red River Shootout series record 291 yards against Texas as a sophomore. That staggering total could have been well over 300 yards if several runs (including a 65-yarder) hadn't been nullified by penalties.

Disappointed that he didn't go until the fifth round, Parker signed a three-year deal with Green Bay for $725,000. He planned to prove himself his rookie season and then strike it rich with his second contract.

That goal appeared on track when Parker became a starter when Dorsey Levens was injured. In his second start, Parker rushed for 113 yards and two touchdowns in a win over the Chicago Bears.

His 1999 season ended two games later. Returning a kick off against Tampa Bay, Parker tore an anterior cruciate ligament when a Bucs' defender rolled over his knee.

"After I got hurt," Parker said, "things spiraled down for me. "

His rehabilitation limited him to the final eight games of his second season. Green Bay then shocked him when he was cut in 2001.

"The Packers thought I had lost too much speed and quickness," said Parker, who ran a 4.3 40-yard dash at OU. "So they didn't keep me around."

Parker bounced from Detroit to Buffalo and finally Toronto of the Canadian Football League. When Toronto put him on the practice squad before the start of the 2004 season, Parker called it quits and headed to Tulsa.

"By that time I was so discouraged and down on the game that I just wanted to come home," Parker said.

Parker has continued to follow OU. He was keenly interested in Stoops' first season, when the Sooners went 7-5. He's convinced that had he stayed, he could have helped OU beat Notre Dame and Texas, two games the Sooners led before faltering.

Stoops certainly wanted Parker to return. Had that happened, Stoops wouldn't have been forced to bring Quentin Griffin out of a redshirt season late in 1999. That move proved costly in 2003, when the Sooners desperately could have used Griffin as a fifth-year senior.

"I would have loved to play for coach Stoops," Parker said. "But those guys (agents) were telling me I was going to be a first-round pick.

"And I was tired of the whole situation in Norman. I was tired of losing and tired of getting my butt kicked every game."

Parker also kicked plenty of backsides, even though he played on bad teams. That's why he deserves his place among OU's best-ever backs.

How would Billy Sims or Joe Washington fared with the mediocre offensive lines Parker played behind? What would Parker have done in coach Barry Switzer's lethal Wishbone offense?

While we'll never know those answers, Parker isn't finished with the Sooners or football. He hopes to return to OU in the second semester to finish work on the degree he needs for a career as a strength and conditioning coach.

Parker's also convinced he can still play the game. Always on the slim side, Parker has sweated off 15 pounds working construction this brutally hot summer.

"I'm in good shape, but I need to gain some weight," Parker said. "I didn't play that much (in pro ball) so I still have fresh legs.

"Whether it's in the Arena League or wherever (NFL Europe), I'm very confident I can still play."

Just as some of us are confident he should never be out of sight or out of mind. When the roll of OU's greatest running backs is called, De'Mond Parker's name should never be absent from anyone's list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read Dave Sittler's blog at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

umberto
8/27/2006, 11:45 AM
Blake's three-year circus took its toll on the 5-foot-10, 190-pound Parker. Things got so bad in Parker's junior season that OU changed quarterbacks seven times in one game, and scrapped the offensive scheme (Wishbone) it had worked on all spring and fall after the first game.

The next time Blake opens his mouth about building OU, they should quote this line to him.

birddog
8/27/2006, 12:04 PM
those bastards ruined many nfl careers in a few short years.

badger
8/27/2006, 12:28 PM
at least some of those guys won a championship in college, even if the nfl was out of the question after Blake's "coaching"

AlabamaSooner
8/27/2006, 02:31 PM
DeMond will always be my favorite Sooner by far. What a great running back...I would have loved to have seen him play in 1999.

Widescreen
8/27/2006, 03:10 PM
"Our coaches weren't the brightest guys."

Heh.

Rogue
8/27/2006, 03:11 PM
Remember him hitting the O2 after a long series?

TheGodfather889
8/27/2006, 03:17 PM
I loved Demond Parker when he was at OU. He is still one of my favorite Sooners. He was a great player playing on horrible OU teams. He is one of the great OU tailbacks. And is a reason OU is tailback U. It's a shame he was failed by Leigh Steinberg and the dumbass John Blake at OU.

Desert Sapper
8/27/2006, 03:46 PM
I remember looking at Demond and saying 'why aren't we winning 9-10 games a year?' Hindsight may be 20/20, but it sucks to have to think about what might have been.

Demond could have been the career rushing yardage holder. It would have been great to have had him in 1999. It's just too bad the agents got to him first. If he had waited until Stoops got here to declare, he would have stayed.

He did some amazing things given the circumstances. He still ranks 5th on the list, even without the benefit of any semblance of an offense other than him for three years. I think he would have easily hit 1000 yards as a senior.

Just a year working under Stoops' staff would have made him 1,000,000 X more NFL ready than the three years he spent working for Boo. I sooooo hate Boo.

OKC-SLC
8/27/2006, 03:59 PM
We (or at least I) need to remember that no matter how miserable Boo made OU football for us fans, his incompetent charlie-foxtrot of a coaching job had some real effects on a lot of kids' lives.

Every time that buffoon opens his mouth and tries to take credit for the 2000 MNC, he reminds the entire football world that he is the dumbest man alive.

soonerlaw
8/27/2006, 04:03 PM
I recall after that OU-TX game where we ran circles around everybody, the school started sending out postcards for Parker's heisman campaign... guess it didn't help much. That's too bad for Demond.. he also went to HS with me at BTW and was a good guy.

tulsaoilerfan
8/27/2006, 04:39 PM
if demond plays in 99 at ou, we win the nc hands down in 03; can you imagine jason and q playing a full season together? I've lamented about this several times

tulsaoilerfan
8/27/2006, 04:40 PM
Crap, i thought blake scrapped the bone after the first series that year:eek:

stoopified
8/27/2006, 05:06 PM
I like Parker and think HE IS one of OU's all-time top 10.I do however think his dream of once again playing pro ball is delusion of grandeur to put it nicely.I do think he would have gone for a 1000+ yards in '99 and proably had 40+ catches in the LEACH GUN. I think a top 10 finish was in the bag reversing close losses to UT,ND and Ole Miss at least.That leaves open Q to play in '03 and I cannot imagine the impact of Q along with White and our fleet of wideouts.Personally I do think we would have torpedoed LSUand won the NC.Oh well shoulda,coulda,woulda.

sooneron
8/27/2006, 05:14 PM
Hmm, I had never heard his side of why he left before Stoops arrived. His game against ut in 97 was legendary.

We would have lost only 2 games in 99 with Parker around. I feel for the kid, I hope he manages to excel somewhere in life.

Readyfor8
8/27/2006, 05:32 PM
I was at that 291 Texas game, and Parker was a genuine monster on the field. Great things may have happened for him if he had stayed one more year.

However, the same might not be said for all of Stoops players that have left early. I kind of get the feeling hes pounding home the stay in school point of veiw in that article, indirectly but still. TRRW, and Tommie Harris made good choices when they left, although I would love to see AD stay one more, I think his best bet is to take the money.

It all comes down to Coaching and Blake wasn't preparing his players for the next level. Stoops has

sooneron
8/27/2006, 05:34 PM
I was at that 291 Texas game, and Parker was a genuine monster on the field. Great things may have happened for him if he had stayed one more year.

However, the same might not be said for all of Stoops players that have left early. I kind of get the feeling hes pounding home the stay in school point of veiw in that article, indirectly but still. TRRW, and Tommie Harris made good choices when they left, although I would love to see AD stay one more, I think his best bet is to take the money.

It all comes down to Coaching and Blake wasn't preparing his players for the next level. Stoops has
Wilkerson was dangerously close to being a cautionary tale.

BigDeezy
8/27/2006, 06:27 PM
De'Mond should get a whole lot more love and respect than he does, that's for sure. He struggled through a lot of crap and still was productive beyond what should have been expected. I sure wish he could have stayed around for his senior year -- Bob's first -- it would have made a huge difference and saved a year for Griffin. Can you imagine what might have been if we had Griffin one more year?

TheGodfather889
8/27/2006, 07:05 PM
I hate thinking about Q redshirting because it makes me think that we would have 8 National Titles now. I really did hate to see Demond go. I don't like seeing any of our guys leave early. Demond Parker,Roy Williams and Tommie Harris were the toughest to see go. They were such great players and you've only got so many times to watch them wear the crimson and creme so I really am hoping Adrian wants to play Miami and go for something big. But as for Demond I hated seeing him go because he was fun to watch and got me excited to watch those dark ages. He would've benefited so much more under Bob Stoops and Mike Leach and I would've had the opportunity to watch him play more and Quentin Griffin redshirt. I love Coach Stoops and I hate Boo.

tulsaoilerfan
8/27/2006, 08:07 PM
someone should email that article to boo boo blake

trey
8/27/2006, 09:08 PM
i've also thought about the q in '03 scenario a few times. i also think q wouldn't have been as valuable in '00 if he didn't get the experience in '99. do we win in 2000 if q redshirted in '99? just a thought

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 09:46 PM
i've also thought about the q in '03 scenario a few times. i also think q wouldn't have been as valuable in '00 if he didn't get the experience in '99. do we win in 2000 if q redshirted in '99? just a thought

I thought about what Q would've done in 2000 if he hadn't played some in 1999 when I read this article earlier today. Anyone remember how many games he played? I read on Soonerstats.com that he only had 44 carries that year but I can't find which games he played in. If he only played in the last four games or so, I'm thinking he's still able to help win the NC in 2000... and then OU maybe gets another in 2003. Also, I think if OU had beaten Texas in 1999, they would've ended up representing the South in the conference championship game - possible BCS game.

tulsaoilerfan
8/27/2006, 10:14 PM
if my memory is correct, q came out of redshirt in the 7th game of the season; anyone?

Salt City Sooner
8/27/2006, 11:48 PM
Q lost his 'shirt in the 8th game, vs. Mizzou.

critical_phil
8/28/2006, 12:04 AM
if parker had stayed another year, i don't think it would've changed his lot in the NFL too much (aside from being a little higher pick). while he was a great college back, he was still not a top notch NFL prospect.

i am equally convinced that it would have changed OU's fortunes had he stayed. the domino-effect questions of what ifs are mind boggling.....

Pricetag
8/28/2006, 01:15 PM
I really didn't buy the premise of that article, that we had forgotten about Demond. I don't think anyone who was a fan of OU when he was there could possibly have forgotten him. He was about the only thing that made the Blake years bearable.

I still shudder to think of what might have happened had Demond decided to join his buddy R.W. McQuarters over at OSU after *************** ran him out of his office for wearing a hat.

soonernation
8/28/2006, 01:44 PM
"We had good players," Parker said. "But the coaches we had didn't put the right players in the right positions."

That about sums up the Blake years right there.

C&CDean
8/28/2006, 01:52 PM
Parker lost a lot of my respect when he bailed for the NFL, then got busted the next year smoking dope in Chicago. He really doesn't have the room to be calling Blake & Co. stupid.

Stoop Dawg
8/28/2006, 01:55 PM
*sigh*

Unfortunately, my years at OU just happened to coincide with the debacle known as "The Black Years" (errr, uh, I mean "Blake Years"). Forget about 7 QBs in one year, I saw 3 different QBs take snaps in ONE DRIVE.

If anyone is concerned about PT this year, just think back to when the fans longed to see Patrick Fletcher on the field.

Dark, dark days indeed.

Stoop Dawg
8/28/2006, 01:57 PM
Parker lost a lot of my respect when he bailed for the NFL, then got busted the next year smoking dope in Chicago. He really doesn't have the room to be calling Blake & Co. stupid.

In that case, given your history, I expect to never see you call anyone stupid or dispense any advice ever again.

Tear Down This Wall
8/28/2006, 01:57 PM
Hmmm. No mention of Demond's marijuana arrest. That also had a little to do with NFL teams not giving him second chances.

C&CDean
8/28/2006, 01:59 PM
In that case, given your history, I expect to never see you call anyone stupid or dispense any advice ever again.

W. E. L.

C&CDean
8/28/2006, 02:00 PM
Hmmm. No mention of Demond's marijuana arrest. That also had a little to do with NFL teams not giving him second chances.

I mentioned it. Stoopy didn't like it I guess.

Stoop Dawg
8/28/2006, 02:11 PM
I mentioned it. Stoopy didn't like it I guess.

I don't care if you mention it, I just think that a guy like Demond Parker "losing your respect" for smoking a little weed after he's out of school is a little harsh. Especially considering your background. Demond took many beatings for this team that I love and never had any trouble (that I recall) on or off the field - other than the asthema that he overcame to still be one of the best backs in OU history.

But if all it takes is a little weed smoking to lose your respect, well, whatever....

C&CDean
8/28/2006, 02:24 PM
I don't care if you mention it, I just think that a guy like Demond Parker "losing your respect" for smoking a little weed after he's out of school is a little harsh. Especially considering your background. Demond took many beatings for this team that I love and never had any trouble (that I recall) on or off the field - other than the asthema that he overcame to still be one of the best backs in OU history.

But if all it takes is a little weed smoking to lose your respect, well, whatever....

Oh. Well let me rephrase it. He lost my respect for a) bailing out on Stoops, and b) getting caught smoking a little weed. Bailing out carries more weight than the weed thing. But if he's gotta get high, do it at the house. Not sitting in a car in the hood where cops patrol 24/7. Guess he picked up his smarts from his coach.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/28/2006, 02:45 PM
All Stoops needed to do was get De'mond a bag of weed and he'd have stayed. Curse you, Bob Stoops.

the_ouskull
8/28/2006, 04:38 PM
I've been saying for YEARS now to my friends, family, and to anybody else that will listen, that Demond Parker's leaving OU early cost us the 2003 National Championship and a BCS Bowl in 1999. Glad to see this article. I hope he finds a way to get back on it.

the_ouskull

tulsaoilerfan
8/28/2006, 04:52 PM
if i had played for that idiot, i would have probably been smoking weed also:pop:

Tear Down This Wall
8/28/2006, 05:32 PM
There some of you are, still in denial about 2003. Folks, we got beat. Live with it.

Readyfor8
8/28/2006, 05:48 PM
Oh. Well let me rephrase it. He lost my respect for a) bailing out on Stoops, and b) getting caught smoking a little weed. Bailing out carries more weight than the weed thing. But if he's gotta get high, do it at the house. Not sitting in a car in the hood where cops patrol 24/7. Guess he picked up his smarts from his coach.

I kinda felt the same way for a long time Dean. Demond was one of my favorite players up there with Q and Heupel one of the first would be superstars for OU I ever saw play. He carried this team for alot of the games we won with Blake.

I felt like he abandoned us when we needed him. However, after going through the coaching changes he went through (Recruited by Gibbs, Signed with Smellslikeburbon, Played for Blake) I don't blame him for thinking the next head coach was going to be the same thing. That with the fact that he signed with an agent (automatic loss of eligibility) without even talking with Stoops (two days before Stoops was named head coach) and those agents were telling him he would go first round.

Alot of people were steering this kid in the wrong direction and they destroyed his career because of it. Now I would just like to see him get something out of his life and he is always welcome to walk with me through campus because hes still a Sooner to me.

Desert Sapper
8/28/2006, 06:02 PM
alot of the games we won with Blake.

All 12 of them...in three seasons.http://www.forum-tvs.ru/style_emoticons/default/puke.gif

Jason White's Third Knee
8/28/2006, 07:07 PM
There some of you are, still in denial about 2003. Folks, we got beat. Live with it.

Your team might have gotten beat, but MY team went undefeated that year.

Go Sooners.

Readyfor8
8/28/2006, 07:27 PM
All 12 of them...in three seasons.http://www.forum-tvs.ru/style_emoticons/default/puke.gif

Imagine what it would have been without a 3 year 1000+ yard rusher.

Desert Sapper
8/28/2006, 07:52 PM
Imagine what it would have been without a 3 year 1000+ yard rusher.

0-34? Yeah, I can definitely see that. Boo still would have claimed Stoops only won the crystal ball in 2000 because of the kids he recruited.

SoonerRecon
8/28/2006, 08:20 PM
don't forget that blake ran off Fuente, who went on to break every passing record in the conference at Murray State. hmmm, let's see, our best QB is a slow white guy, we'd better run the option.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/28/2006, 08:43 PM
I think 2 things that would have helped Parker in 99 is

1. He would have had to become a proven receiver out of the backfield which would have pushed him up a few picks.
2. also became a better pass blocker...

Look at the numbers that YARD SHORT runningback put up at TT in Leach's system.... and he was twice the athlete of DOWN BEFORE THE GOALLINE