PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Questions

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 01:13 AM
So here's the dealio:

I've got some episodes of Scrubs that I TiVod and moved over into iTunes. However, they're not showing as TV shows when I updated them to my iPod. Apparently there's some sort of metatagging going on. Does anyone know how to change the metatags so that the video shows properly as a TV show and in the correct season?

Second question:

There's some audio files that I'd like to have on my iPod in case I have the urge to hear them, but I don't want them showing up on a random play. I random play in my office, and some of these tunes are work-inappropriate. Also, I don't really want to listen to two hours of sales training while I'm at work (but I might listen to it if I were driving to Soldotna or something.)

Thanks in advance if someone knows these answers..

critical_phil
8/27/2006, 01:14 AM
wtf is mike rich?

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 01:19 AM
Phil-

I updated my signature block. That should answer the question.

OCUDad
8/27/2006, 01:30 AM
Can't answer the video question, but if I understand the "don't play NSFW tunes at work," my solution would be to create a playlist that contains every song in your library and then delete the NSFW ones. Play that playlist on random and you're in.

My Kritch?

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah, that's a solution. It just takes extra steps. :(

OCUDad
8/27/2006, 01:35 AM
Wow, you have THAT many obscene songs on your iPod? :eek:

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 02:01 AM
Well, as a percentage they don't make up a huge amount, but I have a lot of stuff on my iPod. :)

Oh, and in case anyone wants to know how to change the metatagging in Windows, search for iPod TV Show.

GDC
8/27/2006, 12:24 PM
I just got an email that said as an OU student I can go to a site called Ruckus and have access to 1.5 million songs for free. There has to be a catch.

hurricane'bone
8/27/2006, 12:27 PM
Yes, you have to pledge allegiance to whorns/whornlovers

GDC
8/27/2006, 12:50 PM
Yes, you have to pledge allegiance to whorns/whornlovers

I already did that, in order to be able to continue posting here.:texan: :twinkies:

proud gonzo
8/27/2006, 02:53 PM
I just got an email that said as an OU student I can go to a site called Ruckus and have access to 1.5 million songs for free. There has to be a catch.

yeah, i wondered about that too. sounds like a load of crap

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 03:19 PM
yeah, i wondered about that too. sounds like a load of crap

i get a lot of "University" spam too, as i'm sure most anyone with an edu email does. that's all it is.

btw, i find iTunes to be pretty annoying to use. for managing and playing files i think winamp is much better.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 03:26 PM
Winamp=not so good for use with an iPod, last I checked.

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 03:33 PM
Winamp=not so good for use with an iPod, last I checked.

yeah, yeah, i know. :texan:

Sooner_Bob
8/27/2006, 03:40 PM
You should just be able to go to the file and update the file/tag info as needed.

That's what I remember doing and it worked ok.

The hard part was getting a good converter to get them into the right format.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 03:48 PM
Didn't work when I did that. But that program I found did it-it was a tad cumbersome but it worked.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/27/2006, 03:56 PM
I had to create a smart playlist to shuffle through for just music.

I tag all spoken word mp3s in the "spoken word" genre.
You can put "not safe for work" in the comment tag of the nsfw mp3s.
Then create another playlist with EVERYTHING in it. You can do this by making a playlist that contains everything added after a certain date. Just make sure that date is after when you got your iTunes.

Then create a smart playlist that matches:
Playlist is "everything"
genre does not contain "spoken word"
comment does not contain "not safe for work"

That will hold all the good for work stuff.

Right click the videos you want in television and get info.

on the options tab, you can change video kind to TV show.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/27/2006, 03:57 PM
You might also want to make sure that the big playlist contains a setting so that it doesn't include podcasts, too.

Smart playlists are a pretty powerful way to organize stuff on iTunes.

I have a smart playlist that holds everything I've added since my last backup to DVD. That way, I only have to backup a few things at a time rather than everything every time.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 04:11 PM
I had to create a smart playlist to shuffle through for just music.

I tag all spoken word mp3s in the "spoken word" genre.
You can put "not safe for work" in the comment tag of the nsfw mp3s.
Then create another playlist with EVERYTHING in it. You can do this by making a playlist that contains everything added after a certain date. Just make sure that date is after when you got your iTunes.

Then create a smart playlist that matches:
Playlist is "everything"
genre does not contain "spoken word"
comment does not contain "not safe for work"

That will hold all the good for work stuff.

Right click the videos you want in television and get info.

on the options tab, you can change video kind to TV show.

Unfortunately, when you change the video kind to "TV Show" it doesn't show up anywhere you can get to it on your iPod.

The rest is a good suggestion though. Thanks.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/27/2006, 04:15 PM
I never use that setting so I was going on assumption.

I have several video play lists that I use. Mainly because I don't like having every video on the itunes on the iPod. I manually keep this playlists up to date and only synch those to the iPod.

Mine are cartoons, tv shows, movies, work stuff, misc. Doesn't organize them by tv show, but I suppose you could even create a smart playlist to hold all of scrubs. I know of no easier way.

course, I enjoy digging around and seeing what I can do with the smart playlists. I think someone told me that Macs had smart folders on the OSX. They supposedly operate similarly to the smart playlists do. That is pretty cool.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I'm seriously considering buying a Mac powerbook for my next computer. I don't really game anymore and the Mac is starting to become very media-centerish.

SicEmBaylor
8/27/2006, 06:58 PM
Now that Apple switched to Intel processors, will you be able to install and run windows apps/games on a mac?

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/27/2006, 07:04 PM
Now that Apple switched to Intel processors, will you be able to install and run windows apps/games on a mac?

Yep. Take a look at bootcamp. You can run Windows XP right on the thing.

Sooner_Bob
8/27/2006, 07:09 PM
Wait a minute . . . so you can't access any of your videos on your iPod?

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 07:40 PM
Bob:

I could access any and all videos I bought through iTunes.

Any TV shows I recorded myself would not show up on my iPod unless I tagged them in iTunes as a music video.

I wanted them to show up under "TV Shows" under the correct show listing and season.

Unfortunately, tagging them in iTunes as a TV Show hides them on your iPod-they're on there somewhere, but you can't get to them on any menu.

However, the meta-tagging program "iPod TV Show" solves this problem and encodes the show with the correct episode number and everything so that they play properly.

Now my iPod is showing Scrubs Season 4 shows under Videos>TV Shows>Scrubs>Season 4 and in their proper order.

SicEmBaylor
8/27/2006, 08:25 PM
Yep. Take a look at bootcamp. You can run Windows XP right on the thing.

That's awesome. It seriously makes me want to get a Mac. Is there a big performance hit when running XP on a mac? I heard that you used to be able to set up a windows emulator on a Mac but the performance hit didn't really make it worth the effort.

Also, if you can now run XP on a Mac why couldn't you run OSX on a pc?

SoonerStud615
8/27/2006, 09:28 PM
i guess nobody else knows how to not have songs come up on shuffle

all you have to do is uncheck the blue box in front of the song title, that exempts it from shuffle.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 09:46 PM
It also keeps it off the iPod. I want the song ON the iPod but to NOT have it come up in shuffle on the iPod.

Sooner_Bob
8/27/2006, 09:48 PM
Bob:

I could access any and all videos I bought through iTunes.

Any TV shows I recorded myself would not show up on my iPod unless I tagged them in iTunes as a music video.

I wanted them to show up under "TV Shows" under the correct show listing and season.

Unfortunately, tagging them in iTunes as a TV Show hides them on your iPod-they're on there somewhere, but you can't get to them on any menu.

However, the meta-tagging program "iPod TV Show" solves this problem and encodes the show with the correct episode number and everything so that they play properly.

Now my iPod is showing Scrubs Season 4 shows under Videos>TV Shows>Scrubs>Season 4 and in their proper order.

Cool . . . I might have to check out iPod show.

Eddie Money
9/5/2006, 11:04 AM
While we're on the subject, I have a couple of questions.

1.) Is there a way to get itunes to search for new music files and ignore existing ones? It always wants to search my entire computer and then convert every wma to mp3 format and I end up having extra copies of songs every time I search for new songs.

I know I could manually add them or put them in their own folder and just add that folder, but I am lazy.

2.) Is there a way to setup the list on the left hand side to let you navigate by artist, album, or genre? I figured out the smart playlist thing, but I don't want to have to manually make a smart playlist for every genre or artist (again, I'm lazy).

Basically, I want it to do exactly what Windows Media Player does, because I like it, but I am trapped by my ipod. Thanks!

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2006, 11:07 AM
While we're on the subject, I have a couple of questions.

1.) Is there a way to get itunes to search for new music files and ignore existing ones? It always wants to search my entire computer and then convert every wma to mp3 format and I end up having extra copies of songs every time I search for new songs.

I know I could manually add them or put them in their own folder and just add that folder, but I am lazy.

2.) Is there a way to setup the list on the left hand side to let you navigate by artist, album, or genre? I figured out the smart playlist thing, but I don't want to have to manually make a smart playlist for every genre or artist (again, I'm lazy).

Basically, I want it to do exactly what Windows Media Player does, because I like it, but I am trapped by my ipod. Thanks!

1) Let iTunes manage your music library, consolidate all tracks, then delete the tracks where they're living now. It'll bring all your files into one central location that iTunes knows about and it won't dupe the tunes when it goes looking for music.

2) I don't think so, but you can just type the artist, album, or genre into the search bar and it'll pull it all up.