PDA

View Full Version : Will PT II be better than PT I ???

Soonerus
8/26/2006, 10:23 PM
I genuinely think so...but it is "show time" very soon...

Blue
8/26/2006, 10:31 PM
God, I hope so.

Less than a week away....

Soonerus
8/26/2006, 10:32 PM
God, I hope so.....

good one...

Blue
8/26/2006, 10:33 PM
huh...?

Soonerus
8/26/2006, 10:34 PM
funny...

Blue
8/26/2006, 10:36 PM
i know....

Blue
8/26/2006, 10:36 PM
I wrote it....

Blue
8/26/2006, 10:37 PM
:D....

Soonerus
8/26/2006, 10:39 PM
I just hope he exhibits the intangible leadership skills, if so, I think we are in fine shape...no more "deer in the headlight" stuff like last year...

AzianSooner
8/26/2006, 11:33 PM
i am sure he will be better than next year ..... psychologially. He will play with ease and at the game #4, he will take off like a true quaterback.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2006, 11:37 PM
I thought this was going to be about "History of the World"

soonerthanu
8/26/2006, 11:39 PM
Well since he will paly more than 1 game...I think his stats will definitly be better.

boomrsoonr
8/27/2006, 12:14 AM
Personally, I think he'll be a different PT than we saw last year. His team is behind him 100% so he'll be more comfortable. Of course, he may have some jitters early, but that'll settle down. He's also got a OC that won't try to make him into another Jason White. He'll be more comfortable with the plays that they'll run.

Yep, I see a whole new PT for this year.

GottaHavePride
8/27/2006, 12:29 AM
Dude, ANYTHING is petter than PTI. That show succs.

Doged
8/27/2006, 12:34 AM
If you count last year, then this will be PTIII. He looked pretty solid in the 77-0 shelling of ATM. I think that was his first real playing time, but not certain of it, and he played more in that game than he did last year.

But yea, I think he'll be much better than what he showed his last time out.

sanantoniosooner
8/27/2006, 12:37 AM
He looked pretty solid in the 77-0 shelling of ATM.
I scored in that game.

boomrsoonr
8/27/2006, 12:46 AM
If you count last year, then this will be PTIII. He looked pretty solid in the 77-0 shelling of ATM. I think that was his first real playing time, but not certain of it, and he played more in that game than he did last year.

But yea, I think he'll be much better than what he showed his last time out.

You can't use the aTm game as any kind of measuring stick. Because, well, it was aTm. :D Chris Simms could have looked great in that game. ;)

SoonerGM
8/27/2006, 01:08 AM
i think everyone is too hard on this guy. i think the deer in the headlight look was probably the same look i had on my face while i was wondering why the defense was in his face time and time again immediatly after the snap.

there is no doubt in my mind he has better intangibles than bomar(not hard to do). he had the better stats in spring ball last year. he was #2 athlete in the nation coming out of highschool(i know some of you could care less about that stuff, but i dont think you can completly suck and rank that high). in fact the only negative thing that i could remember the staff saying about him is that he wasnt throwing the deep ball much. how many times did bomar throw deep during the season and not connect? the deep ball wasnt there yet, and thats just asking for an interception.

this guy had more playing time doing mop up duty in his previous years than he did as a starter. i love the coaching staff, but they are not perfect, and they gave PT the shaft last year in favor of the younger, newer, prospect of the future with a big cry baby for a daddy.

jwlynn64
8/27/2006, 01:36 AM
Thanks SoonerGM. What happened last year was:

1. TCU was a better team than the team expected.
2. Our o-line couldn't protect or open running lanes.
3. Chuck Long's game plan sucked.
4. PT was never given a chance.

I'm not saying that putting Bomar in wasn't the right thing for last year. What I am saying is that we might have won an extra game or two or lost an extra game or two if PT had been left in. We really don't know.

I think that Paul will do much better this year having played a year against quality opponents at full speed. I really don't know how he couldn't have improved.

BASSooner
8/27/2006, 03:07 AM
yes, I saw him with my own eyes.

Blues1
8/27/2006, 07:53 AM
It's ALL Chuck Long's Fault ---- :D

Two years ago PT should have had more back up Playing time - But then maybe Jason might not have "THE TROPHY" - So we kinda painted ourserleves into a Hiesman Corner - JW needed all those stats to stay up in the running -- He got them --- PT sat on the bench...JMHO...!!

Knock Someone Down
Keep Rockin'
Remember, you only have to succeed the last time......:)

AlbqSooner
8/27/2006, 08:15 AM
I feel confident he will be better this year. The question is: Will PTII be better than PT109?

sooneron
8/27/2006, 08:52 AM
I believe the first action that Paul saw was in the utep game in 02. He played in 4 games that year. I remember him connecting with T Wilson for a td in that one.

FormerSoonerProf
8/27/2006, 10:57 AM
(1) OL must protect PT and give him time on the passing plays. They need to handle the opposing defenses, especially since those teams will be out to rattle PT early on in the games we will play. THIS IS THE MOST CRITICAL FACTOR!!! OL should hurt the opposing defenses and hurt them good....

(2) This time around, no "heir apparent" in the wings, waiting for PT to screw up... read less pressure on PT here.

(3) A healthy and "raring-to-go" AD will take some pressure off PT as well and make defenses play honest.

(4) An OC who can make adjustments and design plays suited to PT (I hope!)
(5) PT is seen as "good citizen" stepping up to the plate when the "God" was shown to have clay feet. So, naturally, he is under less pressure. Teammates will not be doubting him.

(6) PT has the fire in him... wanting to prove that he can be the QB he was always capable of being.

Enuf said... let us see what happens in the season... Bring it on!!!

GDC
8/27/2006, 11:43 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060827_B6_Soone66487_b6ouqb27.jpg

Sooner backups one snap away
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/27/2006

Coaches say they won't hesitate to put reserves in the game.
NORMAN -- Joey Halzle is ready. He swears.

"I do feel like, if called upon, I can come in," Halzle said, "and step up and play for the team."

The most important nugget of wisdom about backup quarterbacks is this one: He's one snap away from being the starter. Halzle, backup to Paul Thompson at Oklahoma, knows that. Or, at least, he says he thinks he does.

"I guess you never really understand it until it happens," he said.

Former QB coach and offensive coordinator Chuck Long signed Halzle last December from Golden West (Calif.) Community College to back up Rhett Bomar and maybe even push the mercurial starter, if only a little. But when Bomar was pushed clean out of Norman on Aug. 2 for committing NCAA violations, for a moment it seemed Halzle's status had suddenly been elevated.

Instead, the 10th-ranked Sooners, who open the 2006 season Saturday against Alabama-Birmingham, turned back to Thompson.

Halzle's stats at Golden West -- a .466 completion percentage, 13 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 2,077 yards and a 1-9 record -- weren't good, but at least he's been under center in the last 12 months. Thompson's only game time at QB

during that stretch was last year's loss to TCU.

But head coach Bob Stoops' firm and final decision to make Thompson the starter -- if he wanted it, that is, which he did -- isn't based on what happened just last fall.

"Paul's a guy that had spent four years as a quarterback," quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel reminded. "He's got a lot of reps, a lot of time invested, a lot of carryover between what we're doing now and what coach Long was doing previously. So I think it was a comfortable move for him coming back to quarterback."

Heupel and Stoops aren't likely to put Halzle's name over Thompson's on the depth chart. But they say they don't have any reservations about Halzle executing the game plan if he's needed.

"He's getting more and more ready," Stoops said. "The guy, in his defense, was only with us for 15 practices in spring, so it takes time to learn a system and feel the speed at this level. And he's doing a really good job."

Halzle's strengths, coaches say, are physical. That includes a powerful arm and an ability to make any throw. Running back Adrian Peterson says he has a nice touch on the short tosses, which may become a big part of the OU offense this year.

Halzle (6-foot-4, 200 pounds) said, "I can make most of the throws on the field if I'm getting my body under control and using my mechanics and not getting out of control."

Halzle's weaknesses, he and Heupel explained, are mental. A defender gets in his face or changes up the coverage at the last moment and, instead of checking down to a short receiver, scrambling or throwing it away, "He'll force one late. He's out of timing, he's out of rhythm and all of a sudden a bad play happens," Heupel said.

One snap behind Halzle is Sam Bradford, a first-year freshman who at this time last year was preparing to face Edmond North.

But will any of that be helpful just minutes after running down the ramp at the Cotton Bowl?

"When we go in our (meeting) room, I tell the third-team guy, you're two snaps away from being the guy," Heupel said. "You've got to prepare yourself as though your time is now and you're going to be on the football field. Sam's continuing to push and continuing to learn and he's getting himself ready to go."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read other stories about OU football and the OU blog by Tulsa World beat writers John Hoover and Guerin Emig at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 11:47 AM
It's ALL Chuck Long's Fault ---- :D

Two years ago PT should have had more back up Playing time -

didn't PT redshirt two years ago? Grady was the backup in 04.

umberto
8/27/2006, 11:49 AM
I feel confident he will be better this year. The question is: Will PTII be better than PT109?

I sure hope so. That movie was pretty bad. :D

Blues1
8/27/2006, 12:00 PM
didn't PT redshirt two years ago? Grady was the backup in 04.

Yep - Your Right -- I should have said 3 Years ago....Grady or PT were still not going to get a lot of playing time with Jason shooting for "The Trophy"

Past 60 --- years start blending together....:)

R'

CtheB
8/27/2006, 02:29 PM

I think this year's PT will be greatly improved over last year's PT because we are much better than last year at nearly every spot on the offensive side of the ball, starting at OC and working down.

goingoneight
8/27/2006, 08:57 PM
I scored in that game.

Good point.

OUmillenium
8/27/2006, 09:57 PM
Of course he will be better and here are the reasons (some of you have these listed as well)...
1) Less vanilla and more sense of urgency in game 1
2) IOW, Chuck Long is gone and Paul won't be running the Jason White playbook - Wilson will excel as OC
3) Our line should be better prepared than last year in game 1, although still a question mark
4) No Chuck Long - OK I mentioned it already but that was in reference to the game plan, this is in reference to the ability to adjust the gameplan DURING the game
5) What everybody says about PT not getting enough realtime snaps while a backup is true. That may be my only criticism of Coach Stoops is that backup QBs do not get enough preparation.

Let's go kick some azz this year, I am so tired of the Notre Dame/Ohio St/USC love fest. The shorthorns think they are going to bounce back with little drop off from last year. Wrong!:texan:

westcoast_sooner
8/27/2006, 11:08 PM
That was one thing about The King - once we had a game out of reach, the 2nd or 3rd teams would get in. I always felt like it was a huge contributing factor to the success of the program, since those guys were also one or two plays away from being the starter. And when the upper classman graduated, there was someone coming in who had seen some PT.

If the reports of Fall practice have been right, PTII will be much better. He's got the team behind him, and he's been making strides toward making the plays on offense.

I still say that the offense will struggle at times against UAB, and not look as sharp as we fans want them to look. But I think PT makes some plays, and relies on his team to help him out.

Sooners win at the end of the day.