PDA

View Full Version : Royal,still hated by Sooner Fans?

stoopified
8/26/2006, 09:29 AM
Or has all been forgiven.This thread primarily applies to us fans who are mid-forties or older as you pups don't recall DKR ast he UT coach.

Personally I still detest the man.Fifty years of puke orange outweighs his four years here as a player.The biggest reason I revile the man after all these years is because of his condescending attitude toward OU,its players,coaches and fans.Every word he spoke concerning the SOONERS drpped with VENOM.This became increasingly so as the 70's dawned and we kicked his A$$ with black Texas hs stars.I derive great satisfaction out of the fact that Royal finished his coaching career 0-5-1 against OU.It could just be me but to this day I want to puke every time I see DKR.Now that I got that off my chest I feel better.

boomrsoonr
8/26/2006, 09:35 AM
dkr is an embarrassment to OU.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2006, 09:37 AM
dkr is an embarrassment to OU.
I wouldn't go that far, but there's not much reason to like him.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 09:39 AM
You must admit, there is a bit of delicious irony in the fact wHorn stadium is named for a ex-Sooner.;)

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2006, 09:41 AM
You must admit, there is a bit of delicious irony in the fact wHorn stadium is named for a ex-Sooner.;)
trade off for all the texans that play here?

I call us even.

Blues1
8/26/2006, 10:09 AM
Royal finished his coaching career 0-5-1 against OU. ---- ???

I think he beat Bud one year 15 to 14 --- Seems to me I remember that game...Said he felt bad beating his Old coach....

OK somebody tells us theTruth....:)

R'

soonerjoker
8/26/2006, 10:24 AM
his last 6 games against OU were 0-5-1. his overall success against OU was good.

i admire DKR & sure don't hate him. a good Okie boy, born in hollis.

if the job had been open & the money right; i feel he would've been HC @ OU.

goingoneight
8/26/2006, 11:47 AM
his last 6 games against OU were 0-5-1. his overall success against OU was good.

if the job had been open & the money right; i feel he would've been HC @ OU.

He was offered the job before and as I remember my dad saying... he never even called or made an announcement. That was classless and rude. But I'll take DKR and Mack Brown (being formerly of OU) being UT's winningest coaches anyday over Tejas-born players at OU!!! Helps to shut them up in Dallas area bars and clubs during the RRS...

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2006, 12:12 PM
Every night he goes to sleep, he gets to remember the fact that Switzer kicked his *** out of college football.

Octavian
8/26/2006, 12:25 PM
I think he beat Bud one year 15 to 14 --- Seems to me I remember that game...Said he felt bad beating his Old coach....

yep...his rookie coaching year in the first season college football employed the 2-point conversion, 1958.

Before the season, he voted against the change.....Bud voted for it.

Texas scored late in the fourth quarter and converted the conversion for one of the few losses for Bud and OU in the 50s.

After Bud congradulated his former pupil at midfield, Royal went into the locker room and puked.

He later admitted that the thought of costing Wilkinson a victory made him physically ill.

mrowl
8/26/2006, 12:27 PM
trade off for all the texans that play here?

I call us even.

none of those players have ever coached at OU. not even.

Duke o Brewery
8/26/2006, 01:01 PM
Royal betrayed his state and his alma mater by becoming the head coach of our greatest rivals. Texas and the University of Texas. I think it's disgusting. An Oklahoman simply cannot coach or play for the burnt orange.

Royal is unforgiven.

boomrsoonr
8/26/2006, 01:09 PM
Pride of Oklahoma Alum. Tuba Section: '00,'01,'02,'03,'04.

Damn Duke. Did you redshirt on that Tuba a year? ;)

devOUt
8/26/2006, 01:53 PM
royal had the chance to return to OU when Bud left. Instead, he stayed at texas and we ended up with McKenzie/Fairbanks/Switzer. It worked out better for us. texas can keep royal.

BajaOklahoma
8/26/2006, 02:30 PM
It chaps the heck out of whornfans every time a kid from Texas goes to OU.
And many of them have worked hard to forget that DKR was Sooner born and Sooner bred.

It brings me great joy to remind them. As often as possible.

ashley
8/26/2006, 03:41 PM
Lets not be too rude. I am a Texan who happens to be a OU fan. A fan of Switzer and DKR may be a little unusual. He is currently an old man it the beginning stages alzheimers so I think he deserves respect at this stage in his life. He has always taken pride in his Oklahoma roots.

1991SOONER
8/26/2006, 03:57 PM
The biggest reason I revile the man after all these years is because of his condescending attitude toward OU,its players,coaches and fans.Every word he spoke concerning the SOONERS drpped with VENOM.

This is exactly the attitude that most all Longhorn fans have towards OU,
and alot of that probably came from Royal. In their eyes he is god and everything he says is the word...

XingTheRubicon
8/26/2006, 04:14 PM
Lets not be too rude. I am a Texan who happens to be a OU fan. A fan of Switzer and DKR may be a little unusual. He is currently an old man it the beginning stages alzheimers so I think he deserves respect at this stage in his life. He has always taken pride in his Oklahoma roots.

I did not know that. I hope he has plenty of loved ones around to help, that is a tough gig.

Readyfor8
8/26/2006, 05:39 PM

I respect someone for what they do with thier life not for the fact that they survived long enough to contract a horible disease. DKR was neither classy in victory or defeat. He was regarded by most of his coaching peers as a stubborn, arrogant, holier than thou jackass, who just happened to do well as a coach.

His regard for his alma mater was less than stellar and accused more than one OU head coach of cheating. He was a racist who refused to change with the times. And to top it all off, he was outshined by Switzer at his own offense, so he even fails there.

If you want someone who defines Texas, look no further than Saint DKR. I'm ashamed he ever played football for The University of Oklahoma.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2006, 05:42 PM
none of those players have ever coached at OU. not even.
Did you want Royal back?

FlatheadSooner
8/26/2006, 06:04 PM
I respect someone for what they do with thier life not for the fact that they survived long enough to contract a horible disease. DKR was neither classy in victory or defeat. He was regarded by most of his coaching peers as a stubborn, arrogant, holier than thou jackass, who just happened to do well as a coach.

His regard for his alma mater was less than stellar and accused more than one OU head coach of cheating. He was a racist who refused to change with the times. And to top it all off, he was outshined by Switzer at his own offense, so he even fails there.

If you want someone who defines Texas, look no further than Saint DKR. I'm ashamed he ever played football for The University of Oklahoma.

Guess we better not be so quick to brag to Whorns that DKR was from Oklahoma then. ;)

Readyfor8
8/26/2006, 06:15 PM
Guess we better not be so quick to brag to Whorns that DKR was from Oklahoma then. ;)

It just happens to be proof of the fact that Oklahoma's worst, also happens to be Texas' best.

FlatheadSooner
8/26/2006, 06:20 PM
It just happens to be proof of the fact that Oklahoma's worst, also happens to be Texas' best.

Ah ha! Good point! :)

owenfieldreams
8/27/2006, 09:09 AM
Once again, Sooner fans allow ancillary issues get in the way of a football rivalry. It follows the pattern of our usual upside down horns sign on national tv when we're playing whomever.

We take this whole Texas penis-envy to rediculous heights, pulling in every conceivable comparison to fuel the fire over an athletic contest.

I'm wondering why the Houston OU Club is the largest OU alumni association outside the state of Oklahoma?

I'm wondering why we embrace so many Texas players into our world when we bash everything else that is Texas?

I'm wondering why so many Texans attend OU & ultimately graduate & return home to raise families & lead productive lives?

I have met Coach Royal on more than one occasion. He is a friend of my brother-in-law, who not only played for OU but was president of the Board of Regents & hired Switzer into the HC position. The comments about DKR in this thread are totally unwarranted.

I have never heard him utter one disparaging comment about OU or the state of Oklahoma.....about Switzer, yes, but in many instances, his observations were true. ( remember, Larry Lacewell admitted himself, on Fox Sports SW that OU did spy on Texas' practices ).

He is not a racist. He was hamstrung by a university culture that was slow to move towards integration of it's sports teams.....we're talking a southern state here folks. If you have ever seen him in the presence of his former african-american players you would know he is not a racist. Ironically, UT is now considered liberal by many standards & DKR & his black players played a major role in that transformation.

Personally, I couldn't be prouder of the fact that a native Oklahoman went on to coaching success @ a major football power like UT & is held in such high regard by UT alumni all over the world. Hell, he even served up the triple-option to us on a silver platter. If a man became so distraught about beating his beloved HC who happened to be @ his team's hated rival, how can anyone think he isn't proud of his Oklahoma heritage?

You people need to get a life. You're lucky to be 1/2 the person DKR is.

soonerjoker
8/27/2006, 10:14 AM
Owen;
excellent post.

DKR didn't come to coach @ OU because he was already established @ ut when Bud quit. he'd won a NC.

i'm a strong fan of DKR , altho i wasn't when he was still coaching.

Blues1
8/27/2006, 10:39 AM
Back in 50's and 60's at *one time* we had More past OU players coaching at Major College's than any other school -- I can't remember all of them now - but it was 5 or 6 Major Colleges - I know Washington, Texas were two of them,,,,,Back then -- We were all VERY Proud of all our Former Players who had made it to the big time coaching level..
Bud had done a good job...!!! --

and I believe Eddie Crowder at Colorado was also another school ..?

Keep Rockin'

ashley
8/27/2006, 02:53 PM
Finally, a voice of reason.

GDC
8/27/2006, 03:42 PM
I met an OU grad from Hollis last night at a wedding and he didn't like it when I called Royal a traitor.

Duke o Brewery
8/27/2006, 03:48 PM
There's way too much lone star lovin' going on at this end of the thread. :eek: Kinda turns the stomach.

Readyfor8
8/27/2006, 04:03 PM
Once again, Sooner fans allow ancillary issues get in the way of a football rivalry. It follows the pattern of our usual upside down horns sign on national tv when we're playing whomever.

We take this whole Texas penis-envy to rediculous heights, pulling in every conceivable comparison to fuel the fire over an athletic contest.

I'm wondering why the Houston OU Club is the largest OU alumni association outside the state of Oklahoma?

I'm wondering why we embrace so many Texas players into our world when we bash everything else that is Texas?

I'm wondering why so many Texans attend OU & ultimately graduate & return home to raise families & lead productive lives?

I have met Coach Royal on more than one occasion. He is a friend of my brother-in-law, who not only played for OU but was president of the Board of Regents & hired Switzer into the HC position. The comments about DKR in this thread are totally unwarranted.

I have never heard him utter one disparaging comment about OU or the state of Oklahoma.....about Switzer, yes, but in many instances, his observations were true. ( remember, Larry Lacewell admitted himself, on Fox Sports SW that OU did spy on Texas' practices ).

He is not a racist. He was hamstrung by a university culture that was slow to move towards integration of it's sports teams.....we're talking a southern state here folks. If you have ever seen him in the presence of his former african-american players you would know he is not a racist. Ironically, UT is now considered liberal by many standards & DKR & his black players played a major role in that transformation.

Personally, I couldn't be prouder of the fact that a native Oklahoman went on to coaching success @ a major football power like UT & is held in such high regard by UT alumni all over the world. Hell, he even served up the triple-option to us on a silver platter. If a man became so distraught about beating his beloved HC who happened to be @ his team's hated rival, how can anyone think he isn't proud of his Oklahoma heritage?

You people need to get a life. You're lucky to be 1/2 the person DKR is.

The University of Oklahoma doesn't make good people, alot of good people go and graduate but just because you were a Sooner doesn't mean you earned my respect. Until DKR bashed Switzer, until DKR bashed the administration who wouldn't fire Switzer, until DKR through his tantrum I wouldn't have had anything bad to say about him. DKR is a big reason why OU/Texas is such a heated and hated rivalry, because the arrogance embodied in Texas is in big part associated to DKR.

As to the Racist thing, if he wasn't a racist, he was at least guilty by omission. Non action in this era was just as bad. People were dying in the streets, getting fired from jobs, and being destroyed for the Civil Rights movement. I understand people dragging their heels but not more than a decade after the first SWC Black Player took the field for Baylor. Not more than a decade and a half after our first Black OU Player took the field. DKR didn't have to be the first but they damn sure shouldn't have been the last, and DKR was a big reason for that. DKR was going to have a stadium named after him soon, he was going to be a legend at Texas, and you mean to tell me with all the talent in the state of Texas he couldn't have put some of that wieght behind one black player to integrate the university football team?

stoopified
8/27/2006, 04:19 PM

if the job had been open & the money right; i feel he would've been HC @ OU. DKR had an overall record of 12- 7-1vs.OU which is why I particlarly enjoy the fact that he was 0-5-1 in his last 6 RRS.I don't know this personally but have read DKR was offered the OU job when Bud decided to step down and he turned it down('64?).

KC//CRIMSON
8/27/2006, 04:37 PM
In the famous words of C&C Dean.

F*** Texas! - F*** DKR! - F*** The U of T in Asstin!

Big Red Ron
8/27/2006, 06:08 PM
He is currently an old man it the beginning stages alzheimers so I think he deserves respect at this stage in his life. He has always taken pride in his Oklahoma roots.While alzheimers isn't funny, I'd love to be a fly on the wall at some Texex whatever hoedown when DKR gets up and starts singing "Boomer Sooner" out of the blue.:D

:pop:

Dio
8/27/2006, 07:48 PM
Royal = just another arrogant ******* whorn. Screw 'im.

goingoneight
8/27/2006, 08:07 PM

and vice versa... ala Rhett Nomar.

goingoneight
8/27/2006, 08:11 PM
Love him, hate him... bleugh... All I can say is that I hope no Sooner ever coaches there again... Man, how much would that suck if Josh Heupel took over there one day... :eek:

sitzpinkler
8/27/2006, 08:23 PM
DKR had an overall record of 12-71 vs.OU which is why I particlarly enjoy the fact that he was 0-5-1 in his last 6 RRS.I don't know this personally but have read DKR was offered the OU job when Bud decided to step down and he turned it down('64?).

12-71?

footballfanatic
8/27/2006, 08:26 PM
Royal betrayed his state and his alma mater by becoming the head coach of our greatest rivals. Texas and the University of Texas. I think it's disgusting. An Oklahoman simply cannot coach or play for the burnt orange.

Royal is unforgiven.

I see they're letting you out of your cage, again.

BajaOklahoma
8/27/2006, 08:55 PM
I',m sorry that DKR has alzheimer's. It is not an easy disease for the family and friends to deal with, no matter who has it. However, it doesn't automatically make him a Saint either.

But I do not like Saint Tom more than I do not like DKR.

Serenity Now
8/27/2006, 09:11 PM
I'm proud of a good Okie.

They named their stadium after an alumnus. That's rich.

I agree with owen, mostly. I sitll love the Switzer story about he, DRK and President Ford hanging out in the OU end of the Cotton Bowl and some Sooner yells "Who are those two *******s with Switzer?" You have to love a good rivalry.

AzianSooner
8/27/2006, 11:29 PM
I called him: Derail Royal.

stoopified
8/28/2006, 10:06 AM
Do ya mean Devil Royal? For all you UT fans who fail to understand the distaste that many OU fans STILL have for Royal,Imagine that Earl Cambell became headcoah at UT in stead of Bob and he was 12-7-1 against UT.Add to that he stays in Oklahoma for the rest of his life after retiring and NEVER misses a chance to belittle Oklahoma, its fans and coaches.I think you would feel the same way we do.

jwlynn64
8/28/2006, 10:49 AM

And I'm wondering how the OU Club of Dallas is the largest OU club in the nation?

boomrsoonr
8/28/2006, 11:36 AM
Do ya mean Devil Royal? For all you UT fans who fail to understand the distaste that many OU fans STILL have for Royal,Imagine that Earl Cambell became headcoah at UT in stead of Bob and he was 12-7-1 against UT.Add to that he stays in Oklahoma for the rest of his life after retiring and NEVER misses a chance to belittle Oklahoma, its fans and coaches.I think you would feel the same way we do.

You been drinking again? ;) That was hard to read, but I think I got your meanings.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/28/2006, 11:48 AM
I've never seen a DKR interview that showed him being remotely cool regarding OU.

It depends on which side you are on as to whether you like him or not. Same with Switzer. I love Switzer, but most texans hate him. Boo hoo.

47straight
8/28/2006, 11:51 AM
Darrell KKK Royal.

PlanOUred
8/28/2006, 01:11 PM
Actually Royal wanted to come back to OU when Wilkinson retired, but OU went with Gomer Jones (long time Wilkinson asst.) instead. This p!ssed Royal off and then after Jones flopped he wouldn't come back then....a pride thing. That is why he is resentful. When he wanted to, OU snubbed him, but when OU wanted him he wanted to snub them. Then OU got Switzer and embarassed him in his last years of coaching. It was obvious that OU has passed him up in coaching ability and his resentment grew from that. He is kind of a sad figure these days and has been for a while. He was a pretty good coach that got passed by the college football game. He couldn't compete with Switzer and his energy and that caused resentment also.

Octavian
8/28/2006, 01:43 PM
Some guys would rather sit around and pick guitars with their country music buddies than bust their butt on the recruiting trail.

-Barry Switzer, 1976.

Taxman71
8/28/2006, 02:05 PM
Not old enough to have hated DKR, but I am sure am glad Switzer never returned to Arkansas as a coach or former coach.....or Stoops returning to Iowa or Florida. I will take Switzer and Stoops (4 NC's and counting) in exchange for DKR even up.

Duke o Brewery
8/28/2006, 02:58 PM
I see they're letting you out of your cage, again.

I smell a :texan:

RiddlerOK
8/28/2006, 03:33 PM
The University of Oklahoma doesn't make good people, alot of good people go and graduate but just because you were a Sooner doesn't mean you earned my respect. Until DKR bashed Switzer, until DKR bashed the administration who wouldn't fire Switzer, until DKR through his tantrum I wouldn't have had anything bad to say about him. DKR is a big reason why OU/Texas is such a heated and hated rivalry, because the arrogance embodied in Texas is in big part associated to DKR.?

It's still sad to imagine that he would turn his back on Oklahoma the way he did by making a personal attack on Switzer. Then for him to do it long after Switzer was gone is unforgiveable.

As to the Racist thing, if he wasn't a racist, he was at least guilty by omission. Non action in this era was just as bad. People were dying in the streets, getting fired from jobs, and being destroyed for the Civil Rights movement. I understand people dragging their heels but not more than a decade after the first SWC Black Player took the field for Baylor. Not more than a decade and a half after our first Black OU Player took the field. DKR didn't have to be the first but they damn sure shouldn't have been the last, and DKR was a big reason for that. DKR was going to have a stadium named after him soon, he was going to be a legend at Texas, and you mean to tell me with all the talent in the state of Texas he couldn't have put some of that wieght behind one black player to integrate the university football team?

I agree 100%. If he looks, smells and sounds like a racist, then he is.

IB4OU2
8/28/2006, 03:41 PM
royal had the chance to return to OU when Bud left. Instead, he stayed at texas and we ended up with McKenzie/Fairbanks/Switzer. It worked out better for us. texas can keep royal.

Don't forget about Gomer........even though we may want to.

soonerjoker
8/29/2006, 10:11 AM
i'm still a DKR fan.

reckon Barry has any fans in ark. ??
i bet he does. he turned down arky job.

devOUt
8/29/2006, 11:27 AM
Don't forget about Gomer........even though we may want to.

I couldn't remember if royal was pursued by OU in '63, when Bud left or in '65, when gomer left, or both. royal definitely had his chance to return to OU and he didn't, so that makes him a :texan:

Fraggle145
8/29/2006, 03:50 PM
Havent been around long enough to have a true opinion, interestingly though he still holds the OU record for interceptions I believe, with 18.

r5TPsooner
8/29/2006, 04:06 PM
I don't hate anyone, especially if I don't know them personally. However, he isn't my favorite former Sooner alum of all time.