PDA

View Full Version : Okay, howzabout beer in the stadium? Hmmm?

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 08:16 AM
Tulsa's doing it.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76318

mrowl
8/26/2006, 08:22 AM
bush league.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 08:26 AM
bush league.

Why? People who can afford luxury boxes get to drink in the Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium (a/k/a "the Fock.") Why don't people like me?

RacerX
8/26/2006, 08:26 AM
No.

mrowl
8/26/2006, 08:29 AM
Why? People who can afford luxury boxes get to drink in the Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium (a/k/a "the Fock.") Why don't people like me?

its just a ploy to get more butts in the stands. bush league.

I can't see any good reason to have beer sold at college games.

Dave4OU
8/26/2006, 08:29 AM
The reason Tulsa can do it; They are a private run school as opposed to most other schools which are state ran. It will never happen at a state ran university. There is some kind of a law that prohibits the sale of alcohol at state ran universitys.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 08:30 AM
No.

Why do you hate freedom (and beer?);)

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 08:36 AM
The reason Tulsa can do it; They are a private run school as opposed to most other schools which are state ran. It will never happen at a state ran university. There is some kind of a law that prohibits the sale of alcohol at state ran universitys.

Two public "state ran" universities in C-USA sell beer in their stadiums. Houston and Central Florida. There is no NCAA regulation or Oklahoma state statute banning the sale of beer to adults at college athletic events.

sooneron
8/26/2006, 09:15 AM
Last I checked, OU was a "state ran" school with booze in the tip in club and in the stadium for the Sooner Club.

The University club in the union serves booze.

It has little to do with state laws. Last I heard, if it is an NCAA sanctioned event, no beer to the general public. I am not sure how the other schools are getting around it. I went to see NU vs WVU in the kickoff classic back in 95, I think and even at Giants' stadium, there were no beer sales for that game as it was NCAA.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 09:20 AM
Last I checked, OU was a "state ran" school with booze in the tip in club and in the stadium for the Sooner Club.

The University club in the union serves booze.

It has little to do with state laws. Last I heard, if it is an NCAA sanctioned event, no beer to the general public. I am not sure how the other schools are getting around it. I went to see NU vs WVU in the kickoff classic back in 95, I think and even at Giants' stadium, there were no beer sales for that game as it was NCAA.

Again, there is no such NCAA regulation. I guess it's one of those urban legends (or something) the belief that there is persists.

mrowl
8/26/2006, 09:23 AM
The Board also heard an update on the NCAA's alcohol policies, which prohibit alcohol sales at all NCAA championship events and alcohol advertising within championship venues. Broadcast advertising during the NCAA championships is also limited to no more than 60 seconds during each hour of broadcast. The Board recommended that the NCAA Executive Committee develop a comprehensive alcohol policy that would cover all three divisions.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/8429299

sooneron
8/26/2006, 09:23 AM
Again, there is no such NCAA regulation. I guess it's one of those urban legends (or something) the belief that there is persists.
Well, THAT is what I was told at Jint's stadium.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 09:33 AM
The Board also heard an update on the NCAA's alcohol policies, which prohibit alcohol sales at all NCAA championship events and alcohol advertising within championship venues. Broadcast advertising during the NCAA championships is also limited to no more than 60 seconds during each hour of broadcast. The Board recommended that the NCAA Executive Committee develop a comprehensive alcohol policy that would cover all three divisions.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/8429299

Interesting. The way I interpret the above is, currently, there may be no alcohol sales or advertising within the venue for precisely one D-1 college football game per year (the BCS championship game,) the NCAA basketball tournament and the College World Series.

I guess they'll just have to have free alcohol in the luxury suites for those games.;)

mrowl
8/26/2006, 09:35 AM
Interesting. The way I interpret the above is there may be no alcohol sales or advertising within the venue for precisely one D-1 college football game per year (the BCS championship game,) the NCAA basketball tournament and the College World Series.

actually... since the NCAA does not have a D-1 Football championship game, that would be zero games.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 09:37 AM
actually... since the NCAA does not have a D-1 Football championship game, that would be zero games.

good point.

party on.

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2006, 09:38 AM
drunks suck

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 09:45 AM
drunks suck

I quite agree, but if anyone is getting plowed on $5.00 3.2 beers at a game they prolly shouldn't be allowed in public anyway.

Look, I bet the overwhelming majority of stadium drunks get that way at pre-game tailgates or by slurping liquor they snuck in. I bet you wouldn't detect a difference in the number of stadium drunks if they allow folks to buy 3.2 beers at games until there are 5 minutes left on the scoreboard clock.

mrowl
8/26/2006, 09:48 AM
I have a friend who was a student at OU during the 80's, and he always told me that Budweiser offered to enclose the south end for exclusive rights to sell beer...

Was that true? or just a rumor?

Jimminy Crimson
8/26/2006, 01:06 PM
Do it.

No reason not to.

Spray
8/26/2006, 01:25 PM
I was always under the impression that you would possibly see beer at college games if the home team's stadium is an off-campus facility (Houston and UCF above would probably fit that description). At that point the school has the option of serving beer (NU & WVU at Giant's stadium was either agreed upon by both schools, or possibly because it was the "Kickoff Classic" it fell completely under NCAA "championship" policies)

Anyone remember OU-Louisville 1999? Papa John's stadium sold beer that day.

royalfan5
8/26/2006, 02:01 PM
The people who are going to be drunk at a football game, are likely going to be drunk at a football game regardless of whether beer is sold or not. Why not let the program benefit from this from increased revenue. The people who can't handle it will self-sort their way out of the system.

OK2LA
8/26/2006, 02:15 PM
bush league.

I think you mean busch league

PDTsooner
8/26/2006, 02:16 PM
I believe Colorado used to and maybe still does sell beer in the stands. I had a friend who played at MU and he said his least favorite place to play was CU due to the drunk A hole fans.

Indy Sooner
8/26/2006, 02:25 PM
What happened to drinking before the game?

en4cer
8/26/2006, 02:36 PM
At the very forgetable OU/ksu B12 Championship game, beer was sold. I think it was just until the 2cnd half started though. Absolutely no beer outside the stadium before the game was sold unless you paid dearly to get in a private tent or club. Tailgaiting in parking lot was allowed, with beer.

101sooner
8/26/2006, 03:02 PM
I drank a few beers at the OU vs. Louisville game in '99.

JohnnyMack
8/26/2006, 03:05 PM
I don't like the idea.

OklahomaTuba
8/26/2006, 03:56 PM
I don't see why this is a problem. Just have more security and if someone is drunk and causing a problem, kick their *** out of the stadium.

mrowl
8/26/2006, 03:57 PM
I don't see why this is a problem. Just have more security and if someone is drunk and causing a problem, kick their *** out of the stadium.

how would you prevent beer being passed around between under age students?

OklahomaTuba
8/26/2006, 04:06 PM
Not sure u can really, but how is that going to be stopped outside the stadium either? At some point people have to be responsible for their actions. Can't rely on TU to play mom and dad all the time.

At least they can control who is buying it, what kind of beverage it is, and the people causing problems though.

royalfan5
8/26/2006, 04:07 PM
how would you prevent beer being passed around between under age students?
If OU is anything like NU, I bet the underage students are already passing around a lot of booze. Maybe just don't sell beer in the student section, and if the students ***** remind them about their student discount, and tell them to shut up and like it.

OklahomaTuba
8/26/2006, 04:08 PM
BTW, in Japan, they sell beer in vending machines on the street.

Had a nice $20.00 sapporo walking to the hotel one night.

Somehow, they manage.

en4cer
8/26/2006, 04:09 PM
Thinking about it, i vote no beer. All the texas obsession signs you see every home game on tv would only get worse.

PDXsooner
8/26/2006, 05:25 PM
allowing beer at games would be an absolute nightmare. yes, people still drink at tailgaters, but selling it in the stadium would lead to absolute chaos. have you been to an NFL game lately?

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2006, 05:27 PM
drunks suck

FlatheadSooner
8/26/2006, 05:52 PM
BTW, in Japan, they sell beer in vending machines on the street.

Had a nice $20.00 sapporo walking to the hotel one night.

Somehow, they manage.

Yeah but, in general, they're a little less outspoken in Japan. The only thing you might have to worry about is getting head-butted by a drunk if they tried to say Hia! :D

mrowl
8/26/2006, 06:05 PM
If OU is anything like NU, I bet the underage students are already passing around a lot of booze. Maybe just don't sell beer in the student section, and if the students ***** remind them about their student discount, and tell them to shut up and like it.

yes, I realize that this already happens. I was one that did it! :D :pop:

royalfan5
8/26/2006, 06:16 PM
yes, I realize that this already happens. I was one that did it! :D :pop:
I was amazed by the amount of Booze at NU games when I got student tickets. I watched a guy kill a six pack he smuggled in his pants during a warm weather game. I thought that was impressive.

Okla-homey
8/27/2006, 11:49 AM
I'll be taking names at the '07 OU-TU game in Skelly to see if any of my anti-beer-in-the-stadium peeps enjoy a nice cold one during the game.;)

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 12:05 PM
I believe Colorado used to and maybe still does sell beer in the stands. I had a friend who played at MU and he said his least favorite place to play was CU due to the drunk A hole fans.

they still have the drunk A hole fans, but CU stopped selling beer at Folsom maybe 10 years ago. except in the club level/donor boxes.

CU has some good old time Big 8 fans....but the idiots prevail. i've been to probably 10-12 CU games in the last decade with some buddies who are CU guys and i try and be amicable.....but it's always a test of patience and i find myself hoping they lose by the end. though, I am a big fan of Folsom Field.

Okla-homey
8/27/2006, 12:13 PM
Worst (and frankly the most dangerous) fans in all of NCAA-dom: Home LSU Saturday night games. Yikes! And believe me, their being drunk a-holes has nothing to do with whether or not they sell beer in that joint. I'm afraid it may be genetic or something.;)

RacerX
8/27/2006, 12:24 PM
Why do you hate freedom (and beer?);)

I hate drunk *******s in the stadium

It's hard for me to understand how someone can't go 3 hours without a beer.

badger
8/27/2006, 12:30 PM
face it, if Sooner and opposing fans get beer'd up, there's trouble a'brewing.

Okla-homey
8/27/2006, 12:35 PM
I hate drunk *******s in the stadium

It's hard for me to understand how someone can't go 3 hours without a beer.

Some people don't drink beer to get drunk. They drink beer b/c they like the taste. For me, its really no different form the notion that they shouldn't sell hot dogs in the stadium b/c people should be able to go 3 hours without a hot dog. Its really not an applicable argument for most folks who would merely like to enjoy a cold one or two during a game.

I do agree 100% people should not become drunk at games, or really anywhere in public for that matter. Unfortunately, the a-holes ruin it for people who are perfectly capable of drinking responsibly.

RacerX
8/27/2006, 12:40 PM
Some people don't drink beer to get drunk. They drink beer b/c they like the taste. For me, its really no different form the notion that they shouldn't sell hot dogs in the stadium b/c people should be able to go 3 hours without a hot dog. Its really not an applicable argument for most folks who would merely like to enjoy a cold one or two during a game.

I do agree 100% people should not become drunk at games, or really anywhere in public for that matter. Unfortunately, the a-holes ruin it for people who are perfectly capable of drinking responsibly.

But eating a hot dog isn't going to impact your behavior like a beer.

Your second paragraph is dead on and I'm ok with it. There's lots of kids at the games and I prefer the stadium not selling alcohol. I feel the same way about beer and the state fair and many other places.

sanantoniosooner
8/27/2006, 02:29 PM
I got in a fight one time with a guy that was hopped up on hotdogs.

Some people just can't hold their weiners.

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 02:36 PM
Worst (and frankly the most dangerous) fans in all of NCAA-dom: Home LSU Saturday night games. Yikes! And believe me, their being drunk a-holes has nothing to do with whether or not they sell beer in that joint. I'm afraid it may be genetic or something.;)

having seen the freakshow that is LSU fan at the 03 Sugar Bowl, i can only imagine what that's like. near as i can tell LSU fans drink beer to sober up.

snp
8/27/2006, 05:16 PM
Eh, my floppy flask gets me through the game. I wouldn't be purchasing beer anyways.

Spray
8/28/2006, 09:44 AM
There's lots of kids at the games and I prefer the stadium not selling alcohol. I feel the same way about beer and the state fair and many other places.

Kids ruin everything.

stoopified
8/28/2006, 10:01 AM
I have witnessed enough drunken stupidity at the ****** Bash at the Brick where beer is served to know that is a bad idea.The Coors event Center crowds are another prime example of why beer should not be sold at college events.If CU is getting their butts handed to them they are downright dangerous, throwing things on the court and at opposing players. As for booze in the suites,well the truth as we all know is money talks and the more money you got the more you get your own way.

C&CDean
8/28/2006, 10:21 AM
I really don't have an opinion on it - other than to say that people who can't drink and handle themselves shouldn't drink.

But what always cracks me up is when you go to a gun show, and there's this Goldberg-lookin' dude wearing cammo with an SKS over one shoulder, a couple pistols hanging from his belt, a knife big enough to filet a hippo, and he's got beers in both hands. If a couple of them goobers ever actually got into it, there'd be a hundred people killed in the crossfire.

picasso
8/28/2006, 10:23 AM
no. there enough drunken Bri's as there is.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/28/2006, 11:31 AM
drunks suck

You are so lucky you didn't say that to me when I was drunk.

picasso
8/28/2006, 11:36 AM
beer it make fotball confusing.

at Nebraska fans even dumber ('04).

belllelllllllllllllllllllllllch.

Hate_Texas
8/28/2006, 02:37 PM
I think it would be a great idea in Norman.

soonerreign
8/28/2006, 02:51 PM
No Thanks. I have a hard enough time explaining to my son that the morons behind just don't know anything about football when they complain that we don't score on every single play. I'm afraid that adding alcohol to the mix will encourage them to act like even bigger morons.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 02:52 PM
I got in a fight one time with a guy that was hopped up on hotdogs.

Some people just can't hold their weiners.

:meat:

Hate_Texas
8/28/2006, 02:57 PM
No Thanks. I have a hard enough time explaining to my son that the morons behind just don't know anything about football when they complain that we don't score on every single play. I'm afraid that adding alcohol to the mix will encourage them to act like even bigger morons.

Then establish some sections as "alcohol-free" and let people choose....

Octavian
8/28/2006, 02:57 PM
We should let the West Side get as drunk as they want....maybe then you could hear 'em.

Octavian
8/28/2006, 02:58 PM
Then establish some sections as "alcohol-free" and let people choose....

Fans sitting in the "acohol-free section" must enter through the Ned Flanders Plaza Gates...

soonerjoker
8/29/2006, 10:23 AM
Oct;

guess you mean the old-timers. they (we) would go to sleep.

beer in stad. is very bad idea.

you can get very drunk on 3.2. besides, folks from tejas are drunk on 5 point when game starts. don't need any more.

i know, i'm (not drunk, but buzzed) one of them.

OUmillenium
8/30/2006, 12:35 PM
Party before, sober up as you enjoy the game, if not driving party after

Beer sold in stadium = bad atmosphere for kids

Stoop Dawg
8/30/2006, 12:49 PM
I don't see any moral reason not to sell beer in the stadium, however:

1. I seem to recall Boren making OU a dry campus. If the entire campus is dry, the stadium should be too. I got no problem with that.

2. This is Oklahoma. The majority of voters evidently think that beer (and alcohol in general) are bad and limiting the sale of it will make things "better" - all evidence to the contrary be damned. (See: crazy-assed alcohol laws in this state)