PDA

View Full Version : (Another) Good Reason to go to TU games this year

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 08:14 AM
Quite apart from the fact there are is only one conflict with a home OU game this season...

Beer!

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1747/ww060826a1beera1beer26ati7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Beer fans score

By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
8/26/2006

Brew will be sold again at Tulsa home games! Tulsa football fans will be able to toast touchdowns with beer during home games this season. After a 10-year absence, beer will be sold inside Skelly Stadium in six contests, starting with Thursday night's opener against Stephen F. Austin.

"It was a cautious decision to do it," said Bubba Cunningham, TU's director of athletics. Cunningham expects positive and negative feedback.

"We're trying to create an atmosphere that's good for our fans," said Cunningham, entering his 10th month as TU's AD. "Some people want to have options on drinks, and we'll have to provide areas for those that don't."

Alcohol-free zones aren't in place yet but will be studied as the season progresses.

Tulsa experimented with beer sales in the 1995 and 1996 seasons. After the two-year trial, sales were ceased by then-president Robert Lawless. Stadium advertisements for beer were erased a few years later. Those also will return in 2006.

A 2005 USA Today survey of 119 Division I schools found that 54 allowed the sale of alcohol through public concessions, in private suites or both.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/1294/ww060826a1beerbeer26dk9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"We've had a lot of conversations (about beer sales) and the consensus was to move in this direction," Cunningham said. "We can control the consumption inside the gates and try to create a positive atmosphere for a lot of fans."

Cunningham said TU is contracted with Sodexho, a food management services company that will manage the beer sales. All vendors have gone through training, beer sales will end after the third quarter, and IDs for customers under 30 years old will be checked.

Initial reaction to TU's decision to sell beer was mixed. Vicki Roberts was disappointed with the move. She is the executive director of the Green Country affiliate of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

"I'd always been so proud of (TU)," said Roberts, whose daughter was injured in separate drunken-driving accidents. "Now it's just another place to get drunk and go out, drive a car and hurt somebody. Lighten up lady. Sheesh. :O

"I don't know many people to take taxis to football games. I would safely assume that there will be drunk drivers." Roberts said regulation will be the hardest part. :rolleyes:

Nicole Veit, a TU senior and longtime football fan, said she's looking forward to buying her first 16-ounce, $4 cup of beer.

"I'm really excited and glad that they did that," Veit said, before adding that drinking happens "at tailgates outside the stadium before all of the football games." Season-ticket holder Sandy Thompson also applauded TU's decision.

"It's a positive step on the University of Tulsa's behalf from the perspective that it'll bring more responsible drinking," said Thompson, who added that many fans used to leave at halftime to guzzle down beers quickly before the second-half kickoff.

When asked his opinion on beer sales, Tulsa football coach Steve Kragthorpe declined comment. School President Steadman Upham declined interview requests, deferring questions to Cunningham.

TU is a "wet campus" and allows alcohol. Last season, beer was sold in plaza areas just steps from the stadium gates. Cunningham said added revenue was a key, but wasn't the driving force behind the decision.

"It was a factor, but it was one of many in making an appropriate decision," he said. The athletic director didn't disclose financial terms but said beer sales would be a part of the regular concession agreement with Sodexho.

While no Big 12 Conference schools sell beer inside stadiums, TU will become the fourth Conference USA school to do so, joining Houston, Tulane and Central Florida. Among those, Tulsa and Houston have on-campus stadiums. Tulane and Central Florida play at off-campus sites.

One school that has said no to beer is Memphis. The university and city are in ongoing negotiations for a new contract for games at the Liberty Bowl. The city wants to add beer sales. The school doesn't.

Memphis receives a percentage of concession revenue but wouldn't accept money generated by beer sales, said Bob Winn, the school's associate athletic director for external affairs.

"We're in a stance that we're very adamant against the sales of beer . . . ," Winn said. Beer is sold at Tiger basketball games at the FedEx Forum, an arena owned by the city.

Do beer sales at TU football games pave the way for beer to be sold inside the Reynolds Center?

"At this point, we're just trying to enhance the atmosphere of football," Cunningham said. "At this point, we don't anticipate selling beer at basketball games."

Cunningham said Tulsa police have been informed about the policy.

There are no immediate plans to increase security at TU games as a result of beer sales, said Tulsa Police Capt. Richard Lawson, who coordinates off-duty police officers who work security.

Police aren't anticipating a rise in criminal complaints because of beer sales during and after TU games, said Officer Jason Willingham, and he referred to past experience.

"It wasn't a problem then and we don't look for it to be a problem now," Willingham said. "There's always been beer and TU football. It's not going to be really different."

At the conclusion of TU's six home dates, the administration will evaluate whether to continue beer sales.

"Every time we host an event, we assess how we did and see if it was successful," Cunningham said. "We'll see how we do with (beer sales)."

Roberts has seen many families devastated by drunken driving and hopes, at the very least, TU stresses responsibility.

"We'll have signage and encourage that," Cunningham said. "We're also encouraging campus-wide positive life choices.

"Beer will be available, but we want people to make good decisions seven days a week and not just on game day."

hurricane'bone
8/26/2006, 08:17 AM
HOORAY BEER!

bri
8/26/2006, 10:07 AM
SWEET!!!

SUCK IT, DAVE RADER! :D

yermom
8/26/2006, 10:20 AM
oh god, drunk :dolemite:

see you guys in a few days :D

tbl
8/26/2006, 11:20 AM
I always thought that was an NCAA rule...

Question: Why does it sound better to say "an NCAA rule" instead of "a NCAA rule"? Isn't the latter correct?

jk the sooner fan
8/26/2006, 11:22 AM
count me in the crowd that is glad we dont sell beer inside the stadium....

hurricane'bone
8/26/2006, 11:24 AM
Initial reaction to TU's decision to sell beer was mixed. Vicki Roberts was disappointed with the move. She is the executive director of the Green Country affiliate of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

"I'd always been so proud of (TU)," said Roberts, whose daughter was injured in separate drunken-driving accidents. "Now it's just another place to get drunk and go out, drive a car and hurt somebody. Lighten up lady. Sheesh.

Yes, becuase before this decision...you couldn't get beer at The Hut, drink freely on The U, get beer outside the stadium on Gameday, get beer at QT across the street, or go to The Buck.

sheesh.

Stanley1
8/26/2006, 10:30 PM
count me in the crowd that is glad we dont sell beer inside the stadium....

Ditto. This is a BAD idea.

jk the sooner fan
8/26/2006, 10:32 PM
Yes, becuase before this decision...you couldn't get beer at The Hut, drink freely on The U, get beer outside the stadium on Gameday, get beer at QT across the street, or go to The Buck.

sheesh.

yeah, but perhaps at OU you've got a little time to sober up before hitting the streets

NormanPride
8/26/2006, 10:38 PM
Ditto. This is a BAD idea.

I agree at OU it is. But at TU? At least from what I've seen the fans aren't nearly as rabid. Granted there might be some friction the first few games, but if the police crack down on idiots and keep cracking down, it'll be fine.

Stanley1
8/26/2006, 10:54 PM
I agree at OU it is. But at TU? At least from what I've seen the fans aren't nearly as rabid. Granted there might be some friction the first few games, but if the police crack down on idiots and keep cracking down, it'll be fine.

I worry less about the "average fan" at a TU game, but the Greeks will find a way to ruin it for everybody, just you wait.

Blue
8/26/2006, 11:04 PM
Drinking and tailgating and then sneaking in with a ziplock bag of whiskey is what makes going to games as a student so fun.

...and of course the game itself.

NormanPride
8/26/2006, 11:07 PM
I worry less about the "average fan" at a TU game, but the Greeks will find a way to ruin it for everybody, just you wait.

I agree that's where the ruckus will come from (do I sound old now?). Still, at a small(er) place like TU it shouldn't be as much of a problem. At OU it would be a disaster... I guess I'm just stupidly optimistic. :D

Madd Dawg
8/27/2006, 09:41 AM

Question: Why does it sound better to say "an NCAA rule" instead of "a NCAA rule"? Isn't the latter correct?

The pronunciation of the letter N sounds like "en".

Okla-homey
8/27/2006, 05:21 PM
I agree that's where the ruckus will come from (do I sound old now?). Still, at a small(er) place like TU it shouldn't be as much of a problem. At OU it would be a disaster... I guess I'm just stupidly optimistic. :D

Okay, next year when the Sooners roll in to play TU at Skelly, do we have TU deny beer to anyone wearing crimson?;)

SoonerInKCMO
8/27/2006, 09:33 PM

The former is correct. The use of 'a' or 'an' isn't determined by the first letter of the next word - it's determined by the sound of the first letter of the next word. Since the 'N' is pronounced 'in', then 'an' is correct.

bri
8/27/2006, 09:36 PM
Is it wrong that I always feel a little annoyed when I click on a thread about drinking in public and I LEARN something?

47straight
8/28/2006, 12:02 PM

Maybe you could explain why the fraternity guys would get extra hopped up on $5 3.2 beers at the stadium when they now can leave, walk literally a block, get another drink and walk back? Plus, there are probably only 300 or so total greek guys on campus... is that really enough of a critical mass to cause a problem?

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 12:11 PM
Maybe you could explain why the fraternity guys would get extra hopped up on $5 3.2 beers at the stadium when they now can leave, walk literally a block, get another drink and walk back? Plus, there are probably only 300 or so total greek guys on campus... is that really enough of a critical mass to cause a problem?

well, what % of students at OU are greek? and are they not the direct contributing cause for the new alcohol policy at OU?

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 12:23 PM
well, what % of students at OU are young adults who have yet to understand and establish boundaries? and are they not the direct contributing cause for the new alcohol policy at OU?

fixed.

greek has nothing to do with it.

tbl
8/28/2006, 12:24 PM
The former is correct. The use of 'a' or 'an' isn't determined by the first letter of the next word - it's determined by the sound of the first letter of the next word. Since the 'N' is pronounced 'in', then 'an' is correct.
Really! Well then I should have gone with my gut. I didn't realize the sound dictated the rule, even though it makes the most sense. I always thought it was vowel/consantant based. Thanks!

yermom
8/28/2006, 12:25 PM
i'm pretty sure it was the Greeks that ****ed it up for everyone...

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 12:31 PM
fixed.

greek has nothing to do with it.

greek has MUCH to do with it

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 12:38 PM
greek has MUCH to do with it

and I disagree.

18-22 year old males are, for the most part, stupid. they like to drink beer and they do stupid things. The group of guys that didn't go off to college did it, just like the group of guys that went off to college and joined a fraternity.

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 12:57 PM
yeah i understsand that, but the greek system is (imo) much better at throwing organized beerfests that greek and non greek students alike are trying to attend......greeks have a reputation for a reason......it doestn mean the other kids arent drinking and being stupid.......and for the record, i have nothing against the greeks whatsoever

i just think they are what tipped the scale with the alcohol policy at OU

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 01:08 PM
yeah i understsand that, but the greek system is (imo) much better at throwing organized beerfests that greek and non greek students alike are trying to attend......greeks have a reputation for a reason......it doestn mean the other kids arent drinking and being stupid.......and for the record, i have nothing against the greeks whatsoever

i just think they are what tipped the scale with the alcohol policy at OU

why do you hate sorority girls?

:D

and the policy has been inching this way for a long time. When I was there, we couldn't have kegs. No kegs? no problem. We just carted in hundreds of cases.

they could ban fraternities all together and young men would congregate, drink their weight, and do stupid things.

colleges will stop having drinking problems when water stops being wet.

JohnnyMack
8/28/2006, 01:16 PM
Did TU fix its screechy gawd awful sound system yet? I went to the Minnesota game last year and it was damn near unbearable.

bri
8/28/2006, 01:18 PM
So, tell me, how many Gamma Delta Iotas have died in wacky initiation stunts gone awry? You know, since the Greeks don't contribute to any of the campus ills.

toast
8/28/2006, 01:22 PM
Did TU fix its screechy gawd awful sound system yet? I went to the Minnesota game last year and it was damn near unbearable.

Al Eschbach does the announcing at TU games?

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 01:22 PM
So, tell me, how many Gamma Delta Iotas have died in wacky initiation stunts gone awry? You know, since the Greeks don't contribute to any of the campus ills.

so, you're saying that zero non-greeks have been injured/maimed/killed in alcohol related accidents on/near campus?

i knew a guy that burned his face off fireballing. not associated with a fraternity in any way. just young, drunk, and listening to his buddies. nobody outside the party participants and a few others heard about it.

you can bet your sweet arse that if that had involved a fraternity it would have made the 10pm news.

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 01:26 PM
the problem with the greeks is that its organized......the "peer pressure" increases.....get a group of 5-10 GDI's and they're just like any other group

get a full frat house with an organized beer bash, with a sister sorority in house, and its a different story

bri
8/28/2006, 01:27 PM
the problem with the greeks is that its organized......the "peer pressure" increases.....get a group of 5-10 GDI's and they're just like any other group

get a full frat house with an organized beer bash, with a sister sorority in house, and its a different story

(Get ready to freak out, South Oval....)

What he said. :D

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 01:31 PM

again, i disagree. all of the "stupid " stuff that i knew about took place in much smaller groups. people aren't throwing one another out of the window, in between two mattresses with hundreds of witnesses. ;)

like I said, the only difference in what happens in the fraternity and what happens in the dorm or off campus apartment is that one makes the news and the other doesn't.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 01:31 PM
MY MIND HAS BEEN BLOWN!

IB4OU2
8/28/2006, 01:32 PM
From what I've seen of the crowd at a Tulsa game, you'll never have to worry about a drunken mob. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
8/28/2006, 01:33 PM
Why are they called Greeks? Is it because they like Greek sex? :confused:

:pop:

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 01:34 PM
again, i disagree. all of the "stupid " stuff that i knew about took place in much smaller groups. people aren't throwing one another out of the window, in between two mattresses with hundreds of witnesses. ;)

like I said, the only difference in what happens in the fraternity and what happens in the dorm or off campus apartment is that one makes the news and the other doesn't.

ok, well i only know what i know from my son's experience as a FIJI

its different than what you're saying, but i guess the fiji house is the exception rather than the rule :rolleyes:

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 01:35 PM
ok, well i only know what i know from my son's experience as a FIJI

its different than what you're saying, but i guess the fiji house is the exception rather than the rule :rolleyes:

what year was he initiated?

colleyvillesooner
8/28/2006, 01:37 PM

Ditto. I think this side of the argument will be popular.

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 01:37 PM
what year was he initiated?

what year did the hammontree kid die? same time

jk the sooner fan
8/28/2006, 01:38 PM
you know, i'm really starting to freak out....people are agreeing with me all over the place

and now to top it off....bri

i mean really...

holeeeeee kerrapp

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/28/2006, 01:43 PM

*looks around for hidden cameras*

Am I on 'Punk'd'? Am I?

:D

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 01:46 PM
I'm not saying that stupid stuff doesn't go on at fraternities. Only by the grace of God did I survive the two years I was active. However, I can say the same thing about the two years I was on campus and not active in a fraternity.

Sure, the crowd was smaller and the party took place at someone's house rather than a fraternity, but there were still power hours, keg stands and all the other stupidity that went on at the fraternity. ('ceptin there were usually drugs added)

It's like putting hormone raging teens together with rap music, then blaming the sex on the rap music.

young, outgoing, males like to get drunk and do stupid stuff. if you took away there fraternity house they'd find a field to do it in.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 01:55 PM
I'm not saying that stupid stuff doesn't go on at fraternities. Only by the grace of God did I survive the two years I was active. However, I can say the same thing about the two years I was on campus and not active in a fraternity.

Sure, the crowd was smaller and the party took place at someone's house rather than a fraternity, but there were still power hours, keg stands and all the other stupidity that went on at the fraternity. ('ceptin there were usually drugs added)

It's like putting hormone raging teens together with rap music, then blaming the sex on the rap music.

young, outgoing, males like to get drunk and do stupid stuff. if you took away there fraternity house they'd find a field to do it in.

Of course it would still happen, but 99% of the time it would be just like you said your other parties were like. College guys don't have the determination to generate huge parties like that if there isn't a supporting infrastructure around them. I mean, I've been to some big parties, but nothing like what goes on at those places.

And really, when I was in school (2 years ago?) the greek system pretty much dictated the social culture on campus and off. Even most of the big off-campus parties I heard about were run by former members. Of course, I may have just been poorly informed...

bri
8/28/2006, 02:00 PM

And that field wouldn't be a stone's throw from campus. I'd rather have "young, outgoing males" p*ssing on a tree than, you know, a tipi with a studen group inside.

And of course, by "young, outgoing males" I mean "drunk moronic adolescents who shouldn't get a free pass because 'boys will be boys'". :D

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 02:08 PM
And that field wouldn't be a stone's throw from campus. I'd rather have "young, outgoing males" p*ssing on a tree than, you know, a tipi with a studen group inside.

And of course, by "young, outgoing males" I mean "drunk moronic adolescents who shouldn't get a free pass because 'boys will be boys'". :D

surely you don't mean to imply the guys who peed on that tipi got a free pass.

bri
8/28/2006, 02:12 PM
No, I'm implying that YOU'RE trying to give the whole system a free pass because, gee whiz, those kids are just plain rowdy.

I'm sure you think that those poor, outgoing males were treated WAY too harshly for some inevitable, good-natured fun.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 02:19 PM
I interpreted him as saying it happens no matter what, so the greek system isn't to blame... Not that the kids aren't idiots. Am I wrong?

Hamhock
8/28/2006, 02:25 PM
I interpreted him as saying it happens no matter what, so the greek system isn't to blame... Not that the kids aren't idiots. Am I wrong?

you are correct. i didn't realize it was a coded message.

i was an idiot in college. i deserved to go to jail or even worse for some of the stuff i pulled in college. i have a hard time believing i wouldn't have had the same behavior if it wasn't for the evil fraternity.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I agree idiots are going to be idiots, but I just think the organization is helping it along. Theoretically, it makes the parties easier to police, but we all know that isn't happening...

OUTromBoNado
8/28/2006, 04:24 PM
I was intially confused by this thread. I thought we were talking about Brent Rawls.

BTW, NP....we are SOOOO going to this game on Thursday. Call me beyonce....we need to figure out what we are doing about tickets. I for one, will place that in your area of responsibility.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 04:37 PM
Will do. We need to find out what other people are doing as well. I may have a few people here at work that want to go, and there are always the freaks on this board. ;)

hurricane'bone
8/28/2006, 05:18 PM
Will do. We need to find out what other people are doing as well. I may have a few people here at work that want to go, and there are always the freaks on this board. ;)

I'm IN.

a uniform for Thursday night

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 05:34 PM
We'll come by and harass you if we can. I can't wait to see the show, man. You gonna rofo?

hurricane'bone
8/28/2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah. Its gonna be sweet. We won't have our new Aussie's yet, they aren't arriving until Sept. 9, so we'll be marching hat-less. I'm worried about how we're gonna sound in the stands with all the construction...either the sound is going to just die inside the building or its gonna bounce off the brick and concrete and head back into the stadium.

Okla-homey
8/28/2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah. Its gonna be sweet. We won't have our new Aussie's yet, they aren't arriving until Sept. 9, so we'll be marching hat-less. I'm worried about how we're gonna sound in the stands with all the construction...either the sound is going to just die inside the building or its gonna bounce off the brick and concrete and head back into the stadium.

as long as you guys don't play anything from "Cats" or that damned trumpet-y Mexican bullfighter song -- its all good.

47straight
8/29/2006, 02:29 AM
well, what % of students at OU are greek? and are they not the direct contributing cause for the new alcohol policy at OU?

I don't know, man, all I was talking about was TU.

But when I think about, I think that beer in the stadium would be less of a problem at TU, which already has a wet campus, smaller fraternities, etc than at OU. Also maybe because Skelly is half the size of Gaylord Focker Memorial Stadium! The critical mass to start problems just isn't there.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/29/2006, 08:17 PM
BREAKING NEWS:

The following is an e-mail I received this evening from the TU sports information department:

"The University of Tulsa has decided not to sell alcohol in Skelly Stadium
for football games this year. The issue is serving as a distraction to the
game and University activities, so it has been decided to remove the
distraction.

As in the past, alcohol will still be served outside the stadium gates
during pre-game festivities."