PDA

View Full Version : words I have always misspelled

proud gonzo
8/26/2006, 01:28 AM
Every once in a while I see a word in print and suddenly shout "damn it!" because the word is NOT spelled the way I always thought it was spelled.
And then i type the word and realize the way i thought it was spelled is stupid and I don't think i've ever actually typed it that way... but I think i've written it that way. possibly forever. and that really ****es me off.

New word of the day: maintenance

i'm pretty sure i'm a retard and i write it "maintainance" because it's the frickin act of maintaining things!

I hate this language so much. :mad:

Blue
8/26/2006, 01:32 AM
receipt/reciept

opportunity/oppurtunity

screws with me every time.

Tailwind
8/26/2006, 02:00 AM
i before e except after c, remember? I always thought maintenance was spelled the way Gonzo thought too, until I had to start filling out maintenance reports and work orders.

Geekboy
8/26/2006, 02:14 AM
It's alarming how many times I see in print and on the internet how badly the wordl 'surprise' is being spelled. They are leaving out an 'r.'

More and more I'm seeing it spelled 'suprise.'

We need Spelling Police that can be dispatched to go out and kill those that screw up!!

BajaOklahoma
8/26/2006, 05:53 AM
I have a very large reading vocabulary and a very small spelling vocabulary.
I blame it on learning other languages in elemenary school. First it was French, then the State mandated switch to Spanish. I still tend to mix French and Spanish when I count.

OUHOMER
8/26/2006, 06:07 AM
if it wernt fer fonics, i wood misill everthing:D

whatsername
8/26/2006, 06:19 AM
For the longest time, I always spelled lightning wrong... lightening. Refrigerator used to get me too, I wanted to add a D.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 06:24 AM
I hate "congradulations." You see that a lot on signs at graduation time in the spring.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 06:26 AM

New word of the day: maintenance

i'm pretty sure i'm a retard and i write it "maintainance" because it's the frickin act of maintaining things!

I hate this language so much. :mad:

Look at it this way, the word evolved from the main duty of tenancy --IOW, taking good care of the place. I learned that little snippet in law skool.

OUinFLA
8/26/2006, 06:50 AM
on the innerweb, it doesnt matter.
if you mispell it, someone will tell you.
and if they can tell you, they knew what you meant anyway.
so they're just being an azz.
I try to do it as often as possible.

David Earl
8/26/2006, 07:23 AM
The other day I almost misspelled "misspell". Seriously...

TheLurker
8/26/2006, 08:50 AM
I always thought "asinine" was actually a gerund spelled "assinying"

sanantoniosooner
8/26/2006, 08:51 AM
restaurant

oh how I loathe that word.............

ChickSoonerFan
8/26/2006, 09:17 AM
wierd

weird

Still not sure which is correct

leavingthezoo
8/26/2006, 09:46 AM
definitely.

i don't know if i just spelled it right or not. i'm not going to look it up either.

VeeJay
8/26/2006, 10:07 AM
Swear this is the truth. I was in the 8th grade before I realized Chicago was spelled without an "r."

I saw a geography textbook map and thought they'd misspelled it, leaving out the "r."

My hillbilly dad to this day pronounces it "Chicargo." I never knew any better.

handcrafted
8/26/2006, 10:18 AM
Judgment.

(there is only one "e", not two)

yermom
8/26/2006, 10:23 AM
"your" always gets me

ChickSoonerFan
8/26/2006, 10:53 AM
"your" always gets me

so it was supposed to be yourmom?

tbl
8/26/2006, 11:14 AM
guarantee is a toughie...

jk the sooner fan
8/26/2006, 11:19 AM
i've always been a good speller, i won the spelling bee at my school in the 5th grade.....i totally sucked at math, but i could spell

WILBURJIM
8/26/2006, 11:31 AM
i before e except after c, remember? I always thought maintenance was spelled the way Gonzo thought too, until I had to start filling out maintenance reports and work orders.
It's WEIRD, but I have this VEIN in my forehead that swells everytime I hear that I before E crap.:D

proud gonzo
8/26/2006, 12:24 PM
another one is "significant". Until middle school I spelled it signifigant because that's the way people say it...

tbl
8/26/2006, 12:25 PM
THAT'S the one I was trying to think of. I knew there was one I couldn't stinking remember, and that was it. I still struggle to put the c in there...

Frozen Sooner
8/26/2006, 12:28 PM
Connecticut.

There is no reason for that second "c" at all.

Homey, thanks for the etymology of maintenance.

Okla-homey
8/26/2006, 12:29 PM
I constantly mess-up between its and it's. I know, "it's" is a contraction for "it is" but it's still hard to keep straight.

OCUDad
8/26/2006, 12:36 PM
on the innerweb, it doesnt matter.
if you mispell it, someone will tell you.
and if they can tell you, they knew what you meant anyway.
so they're just being an azz.
I try to do it as often as possible.Sorry, not buying it. The spelling-challenged always resort to that excuse: "If you could understand it anyway, what's the use of my taking the time to learn it, or looking it up, and spelling it right?"

When did education become unimportant? :rolleyes:

February
Library
Tomorrow
lose - to misplace; loose - not tight

GottaHavePride
8/26/2006, 12:44 PM
I constantly mess-up between its and it's. I know, "it's" is a contraction for "it is" but it's still hard to keep straight.
there's a song for that. http://hekima.lionking.org/thestick/its.mp3

Courtesy of Strong Bad's Rhythm N' Grammar (http://hekima.lionking.org/thestick/grammar.html).

KC//CRIMSON
8/26/2006, 12:50 PM
In front of the entire sixth grade and my parents, I misspelled "failure." -Dwight K. Schrute

opksooner
8/26/2006, 01:31 PM
The other day I almost misspelled "misspell". Seriously...
Yeah, but it wasn't on this board.

OUinFLA
8/26/2006, 08:22 PM
Sorry, not buying it. The spelling-challenged always resort to that excuse: "If you could understand it anyway, what's the use of my taking the time to learn it, or looking it up, and spelling it right?"

When did education become unimportant? :rolleyes:

February
Library
Tomorrow
lose - to misplace; loose - not tight

at about age 59. I changed all kinds of priorities in my life. :D
btw, you were the second one to pick up on that.

Geekboy
8/26/2006, 08:28 PM
This is sort of embarrasing. I know the difference between 'to' and 'two.'
Duh.

For years I went and completely forgot about 'too.' I never used it!
I would write a phrase like this, 'Me to.'

What a dolt.

OCUDad
8/26/2006, 08:37 PM
at about age 59. I changed all kinds of priorities in my life. :D
btw, you were the second one to pick up on that.I'm a year older than you, and "trying to get it right" is still one of my priorities in life. :D To each his own.

rebmus
8/26/2006, 08:44 PM
definitely.

i don't know if i just spelled it right or not. i'm not going to look it up either.
that was mine for a while... i kept typing "definately".

it's definitely... after one of the spelling police corrected me, i remembered from then forward.

OUinFLA
8/26/2006, 09:13 PM
I'm a year older than you, and "trying to get it right" is still one of my priorities in life. :D To each his own.

I suspect we are the same age. it was 59 when my priorities changed :D
getting it right became secondary to just getting it at all. :D:D

OCUDad
8/26/2006, 10:52 PM
Slacker. You're giving the old farts clique a bad name.

..we have a clique?

proud gonzo
8/26/2006, 11:07 PM
and i just realized i spelled "really" with only one L in a thread title on the sponsor's forum :mad: and it now won't let me change it.

Flagstaffsooner
8/26/2006, 11:18 PM
Slacker. You're giving the old farts clique a bad name.

..we have a clique?You're not in it yet. You have to send in three box tops from Preparation-H packages.;)

OCUDad
8/27/2006, 12:10 AM
Will you accept Metamucil receipts instead?

dolemitesooner
8/27/2006, 12:33 AM
do OYou want a ****ing list

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 12:37 AM
judging from about 7 years of reading net CFB message boards...i'd say i've apparently always had trouble with Billy Simms, dillusional, and lately (on our own football board) quaterback. the latter, i'm guessing is a phonetical approximation of actual speech.

Flagstaffsooner
8/27/2006, 12:41 AM
Will you accept Metamucil receipts instead?That will do. Olevet accepts Depends.:D

sanantoniosooner
8/27/2006, 12:41 AM
concede is a nice one on the net.

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 12:46 AM
concede is a nice one on the net.

dominate is a good one....used in the context of "the 74 Sooners were dominate".

another phonetical wonder.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 12:48 AM
I won't even go into how many misspelled words I run into on the 'net.

I agree with the above that spelling and grammar are important-and that there's a difference between legitimate typos and just not knowing how to spell things or the proper usage of homonyms.

I generally pay much more attention to people who tend to use good English and spelling when they post.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 12:50 AM
dominate is a good one....used in the context of "the 74 Sooners were dominate".

another phonetical wonder.

The point is mute.

That drives me nuts.

"Untracked" instead of "on track." Handcrafted pointed this out a few days ago and I agree wholeheartedly.

sanantoniosooner
8/27/2006, 12:51 AM
I COULD care less.

Only idiots say it.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 12:55 AM
"Signs is a good movie." ;) Just kidding, man.

People who don't know how to use apostrophes correctly drive me up the wall.

It's really easy:

An apostrophe denotes either a contraction or possession. In the case of the indefinite neutral pronoun, an apostrophe always denotes a contraction and NEVER possession. If you remember the possessives of the gendered pronouns, you can remember this: hers, his, its; not her's, hi's, it's.

The apostrophe always goes before the "s" unless "s" or "z" is the last letter of the noun, in which case it goes after the "s" or "z" and no additional "s" is used.

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 12:59 AM

i actually tend to do that quite a bit, i've noticed. :O

the thing about phonetical spellings, and i see it all the time in undergraduate papers....is that it means that people hear the word but don't see it in print....which is regressing towards a classical definition of illiteracy.

uppitomy=epitome. took me a while to figure that one out, but i've seen it.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 01:04 AM
i actually tend to do that quite a bit, i've noticed. :O

the thing about phonetical spellings, and i see it all the time in undergraduate papers....is that it means that people hear the word but don't see it in print....which is sloping towards a classical definition of illiteracy.

uppitomy=epitome. took me a while to figure that one out, but i've seen it.
Only you can stop post-literacy.

It's a concern, man. I don't think it's a question of fixing the schools, because there's only so much schools can do-kids just don't read for fun anymore. I'm not saying that kids need to be reading Proust or anything, but kids don't even read comics anymore.

Why should they?

They come home and they've got XBox. They've got DVDs. They've got Boomerang, NickToons, etc. There's no reason for them TO pick up a comic, because there's so much other stuff that's entertaining and less work.

Heck, they don't even get the same Golden Key books we did (remember those?) They have a LeapPad.

Scary, man.

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 01:42 AM
i don't think there's a lot to be done, really. and adults aren't much different.

it's interesting as a social phenomenon to me.....but, as embedded as our culture is in the idea of inalienable, inevitable progress due to
"technology"....it does kind of raise some questions.

there are a lot of in-born prejudices and even fetishes that we have about the written word versus the visual image....the former seen (ideally, often contrary to fact) as "rationality" and the latter as "base" appeals to the emotions....

but, it's disturbing to see college kids be unable to articulate themselves when they do have thoughts.....or, conversely, be able to present the "official" form of having thoughts without much substance.

college is mostly a reality TV show these days anyway. it's a stage for a pre-given social drama. and plus, we all know that college teachers are Leninists who eat children and sleep in Mao jammies.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 01:44 AM
Oh, jeez. Here I thought you slept in a Che tee and underoos.

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 01:50 AM
Oh, jeez. Here I thought you slept in a Che tee and underoos.

naw, i don't sleep much. i'm usually too busy selling vodka or hard drugs to jr. high students for extra money (or "favors").

Miko
8/27/2006, 03:25 AM

Ever notice how many apartments have "All Bill's Paid" (sic) signs?? Almost enough to make you want to change your name, huh?:rolleyes:

Oh, and I can never seem to remember how to spell aeportjfiedsdishnesses:D

sanantoniosooner
8/27/2006, 08:08 AM
HEY FrozenRich

I COULD care less.

Only idiots say it.

This was an example of imroper usage. It wasn't directed at you.

It should be COULDN'T.

It does imply a difference.

MamaMia
8/27/2006, 08:50 AM
I have misspelled the word 'misspell'. :P

soonerjoker
8/27/2006, 10:02 AM
does it seem that many people mis-pronounce (sp) "accreditation" ???

sounds like last "t" is a "d".; or is it just me ??

i prefer "i could care less", even if it's wrong.

i know some otherwise intelligent people who say "irregardless"; even after i
tell them (many times) that it's not a word.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 11:12 AM
HEY FrozenRich

This was an example of imroper usage. It wasn't directed at you.

It should be COULDN'T.

It does imply a difference.

:confused:

Um, I wasn't confused by this-I was aware that it was improper usage you were upset about.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/27/2006, 12:07 PM
restaurant

independence- I always want it to be -dance

I spell really well, so it urks me if I misspell something repeatily. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/27/2006, 12:14 PM
Businesses who intentionally misspell the name of their company just to be cute really bug me.

Klassy Kutz
Katfish Kabin
Tannz and Videoz

I also hate it when they misuse apostrophes.

Jone's Body Shoppe

OUinFLA
8/27/2006, 12:33 PM
Businesses who intentionally misspell the name of their company just to be cute really bug me.

Klassy Kutz
Katfish Kabin
Tannz and Videoz

I also hate it when they misuse apostrophes.

Jone's Body Shoppe

You hate Krispy Kreme?
communist.

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 12:34 PM
People who use quotation marks to emphasize something bug me.

King Crimson
8/27/2006, 12:46 PM
"thinking outside the box" is already thinking inside the box.

YWIA.

GottaHavePride
8/27/2006, 12:58 PM
The apostrophe always goes before the "s" unless "s" or "z" is the last letter of the noun, in which case it goes after the "s" or "z" and no additional "s" is used.

The way I was taught, you still add an extra s on the end unless it's a plural possessive. As in: if James owns a book, it is James's book, but if a bunch of teachers have the same contract it is the teachers' contract.

Of course, I was also taught that the last comma before the word "and" in a list is NOT optional. As in: you order a burger, fries, and a shake. Not a burger, fries and a shake.

Blue
8/27/2006, 01:10 PM
The way I was taught, you still add an extra s on the end unless it's a plural possessive. As in: if James owns a book, it is James's book, but if a bunch of teachers have the same contract it is the teachers' contract.

Of course, I was also taught that the last comma before the word "and" in a list is NOT optional. As in: you order a burger, fries, and a shake. Not a burger, fries and a shake.

And a comma always comes before a, "quotation."

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 01:39 PM

Hm. You may be right on that first one. I'll look it up.

You are right on the second.

edit: http://community-2.webtv.net/solis-boo/Grammar2/page12.html indicates that it is correct for a singular either to add an s or leave it off.

Miko
8/27/2006, 01:49 PM
http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/4120/strunkandwhitegy3.jpg + http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/7109/cwlogoap1.jpg

This should help!!!:)

whatsername
8/27/2006, 03:17 PM
I was jotting down my grocery list this morning and remembered another word I always spell wrong...

brocolli/broccoli

Miko
8/27/2006, 03:33 PM
brocolli/broccoli

He's the guy who did the Bond movies, right? :D

GottaHavePride
8/27/2006, 05:06 PM
And a comma always comes before a, "quotation."
True, but I have other issues with the rules about quotations just because they don't make sense. Such as: according to the rules, final punctuation of a sentence goes inside the quotation marks all the time. However, if you are asking a question, and the last phrase of the question happens to be a quotation, but the quotation itself was not originally a question, why should the question mark go inside the quotation marks? Let me try to think of an example.

OK, bad example but here it is: Suppose you were telling me that we're out of basically everything and I wanted to respond with part of Stewie's line from Family Guy, "I'm sorry, we're fresh out of that. I'm afraid all we have left is UNTIMELY DEATH!" So, according to the rules, the sentence should read: So you're saying "all we have left is untimely death?" But in that case the original quotation wasn't a question, so according to me it would be more correct to place the question mark outside the final quotation mark, as in: "untimely death"?

OK, Grammar Nerd Powers, DE-ACTIVATE!

proud gonzo
8/27/2006, 05:10 PM
True, but I have other issues with the rules about quotations just because they don't make sense. Such as: according to the rules, final punctuation of a sentence goes inside the quotation marks all the time. However, if you are asking a question, and the last phrase of the question happens to be a quotation, but the quotation itself was not originally a question, why should the question mark go inside the quotation marks? Let me try to think of an example.

OK, bad example but here it is: Suppose you were telling me that we're out of basically everything and I wanted to respond with part of Stewie's line from Family Guy, "I'm sorry, we're fresh out of that. I'm afraid all we have left is UNTIMELY DEATH!" So, according to the rules, the sentence should read: So you're saying "all we have left is untimely death?" But in that case the original quotation wasn't a question, so according to me it would be more correct to place the question mark outside the final quotation mark, as in: "untimely death"?

OK, Grammar Nerd Powers, DE-ACTIVATE!

I agree.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/27/2006, 06:32 PM
I still want to do a Diagram-This-Sentence-Off

Frozen Sooner
8/27/2006, 07:41 PM
Sentence diagramming is the devil.

TheLurker
8/27/2006, 11:17 PM
Here's a good book on the subject.
http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/pics/eatspb3.jpg

whatsername
8/28/2006, 06:27 AM
He's the guy who did the Bond movies, right? :D
Yeah, I always spell his name wrong too.

(I had no clue what the heck you were talking about, I had to go to the imdb.) :)

proud gonzo
8/28/2006, 04:22 PM
Here's a good book on the subject.
http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/pics/eatspb3.jpg

i've been wanting to get that one...

TUSooner
8/28/2006, 04:43 PM
Andrew Jackson, a famous heterographer, is reported to have said that he couldn't respect a man who could only think of one way to spell a word.

You want to know what's pathetic? I love this spelling thread and have read every word of it. :O

:D

TUSooner
8/28/2006, 04:45 PM
I COULD care less.

Only idiots say it.

I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sanantoniosooner again.

Chuck Bao
8/28/2006, 05:27 PM
This isn't a mispelling, but it is still pretty funny, at least to me. It is from one broker's comments on the Thai stock market.

Notice the bolded part. "Peaceful" nuclear bomb program. Since when has a nuclear bomb program been peaceful? I think they meant: "Peaceful" nuclear program.

I don't know, but it made me giggle.

Market view: Although news that Iran's public statement that it will continue with its "peaceful" nuclear bomb program should boost oil prices and oil-related stocks, we expect only a short-term increase-the momentum isn't there. Technical analysis also suggests that the index is weak; bearishness rules market sentiment for the moment.

boomersooner28
8/28/2006, 09:16 PM
I've always misspelled "Wife".....I've always spelled it "Bitch"

weird.

TUSooner
8/30/2006, 10:18 AM
I had to bring this up again because already today I have misspelled (actually mistyped) each of these words at least 3 times today

constituional for constituTional
and
tat for tHat - which spell checker won't show as an error, BTW.

There. I feel better.