PDA

View Full Version : NEW RECRUIT FOR '07 CLASS TONIGHT....

The Consumate Showman
8/25/2006, 10:37 PM
OU picks up its first special teams player for the '07 class.

He is:

Heritage Hall place kicker Jimmy Stevens. Jimmy set a HS record last year with 22(?) FGs made. This is big for OU since we don't have a back-up for Hartley.

jccouger
8/25/2006, 11:05 PM
We are using one of our very few scholarships on a kicker?

The Consumate Showman
8/26/2006, 01:27 AM
We are using one of our very few scholarships on a kicker?

Well, unless you want a LB, WR, QB, RB, etc, kicking field goals after Hartley leaves.....

This way when Jimmy gets here, he can red shirt during Garrett's senior year and be ready as a red shirt frosh to come in and kick for us.

I know it's not a glamorous position, but it is VITAL!

Be happy that we're getting a DAMN good FG kicker!! They are not a "dime a dozen."

Desert Sapper
8/26/2006, 09:34 PM
Any more on him than 'he kicked 22 FGs'? That sounds like a lot, but it may mean that he missed some, too. What's his range, what's his accuracy, what's his accuracy from range, and how do his PATs look? I'm guessing he must be out of this universe if they are using a scholly on him in a year when they only have a small number to give out.

The Consumate Showman
8/26/2006, 11:10 PM
Any more on him than 'he kicked 22 FGs'? That sounds like a lot, but it may mean that he missed some, too. What's his range, what's his accuracy, what's his accuracy from range, and how do his PATs look? I'm guessing he must be out of this universe if they are using a scholly on him in a year when they only have a small number to give out.

Here are some of the things I've been able to find on him that are posted on the web:

1st 3 per rivals...

1.) "As a junior he was named a USA-Today 2nd team all-american."

2.) "Jimmy is a great kicker. He tied the national record with 22 field goals last year and may be the guy to break it this year. Member of the TOP 12 2007." — California kicking guru Chris Sailer"

3.) [One player who won't cause a school to debate on exactly why they are offering him is Stevens. The 5-foot-6, 140-pound Stevens isn't what someone would call 'powerful' but Bogert says to have a look at his leg and the shoe may fit.

"He hit a 52-yard kick last season and hits 55-yarders in practice all the time. He is working on kicking off the ground and uses a one-inch tee right now," he explained. "He is going to break the national record for field goals in a career this year, he is only nine away from it.

"Last year he tied the record for field goals in a season."

While Prince may be the most physically impressive of Bogert's hoard it's his kicker that has college coaches truly flocking to the small private school in North Oklahoma City.

"He actually has more schools looking at him right now than Quinton. He is going to some kicking camps and I think will be at the big one in Vegas this summer. I have talked to several schools who are very interested in him," he said.]

Next info per this web site address: http://www.kicking.com/members/view.asp?id=soccerhalfback0

Kicking

PATM = PAT's made, PATA = PAT's attempted, FGM = FGs made, FGA = FG's attempted, TB = touchbacks, S = Canadian singles

Year PATM PATA PAT% FGM FGA FG% Distances
2005 31 31 100.00% 22 29 75.86%

50,48,45,42,42,40,40,39,39,38,36 35,33,33,32,31,31,30,28,23,23,22
Long = 50
TB = 40

Jimmy was also named to rivals 2nd team all-america as a junior last year.

Now, if you haven't had a chance to go watch him kick or have never seen him in action and you can this year, I suggest you go watch him within the first 3-5 games because he his only 9 FGs away from breaking the all time HS record for FGs made. Is he the best in the country? Well, that's yet to be determined. If you pay any attention to how kickers rankings change dramatically throuhgout the year, then you know that Jimmy will more than likely end up one of the top 3 kickers in america.

A close family friend of mine was a kicker at PC north last year, Josh Shene, and he was virtually unranked and unwanted until literally after the season was over. He went to the Miami kicking camp and won it and all of a sudden, he was the #2 kicker natioanlly and Ole Miss picked him up QUICK! And I'll let you in on this about him, too. Josh could kick without a tee, and OU was interested in signing him, but by the time they came to him, OU had no schoolys left to offer, so now OU KNOWS it HAS to get a kicker this year and I personally think that we got a GOOD one guys. Back on the trail I go...

soonerthanu
8/26/2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the work.

Desert Sapper
8/27/2006, 02:53 PM
Awesome work, Showman. I know I can always count on you for the straight dish. He sounds pretty dang good. They don't list the seven he missed last year. I wonder what distance they were at, if they were blocked, etc. It would probably be tough to find that info. If USA Today had him as a second team AA last year, he may end up being ranked highly. I'm just interested in how well he kicks. It will be great if we can plug somebody in after Garrett. He has really been good for us. We always seem to have problems immediately after we lose a good kicker. Thanks again.

The Consumate Showman
8/27/2006, 03:46 PM
Awesome work, Showman. I know I can always count on you for the straight dish. He sounds pretty dang good. They don't list the seven he missed last year. I wonder what distance they were at, if they were blocked, etc. It would probably be tough to find that info. If USA Today had him as a second team AA last year, he may end up being ranked highly. I'm just interested in how well he kicks. It will be great if we can plug somebody in after Garrett. He has really been good for us. We always seem to have problems immediately after we lose a good kicker. Thanks again.

No problem DS. I don't know right off the top of my head at what diistances he missed from, but I believe I remember hearing he missed some LONG ones last year. You can see by his kicking record that he and Heritage Hall are confident in his leg and not afraid to jeopardize field position by a missed long FG attempt. Having said all of that, I will see if I can do some more digging/calling around over there and find something out for you guys.

I do know this about him. He is close to being able to kick without a tee on FG attempts. If you pay any attention to kickers coming out of HS and transitioning to college ball, you would know that this is probably one of the HARDEST transitions for a kicker to make since you can't use tees on FG attempts. If Jimmy can get it down pat where he can kick squarely off the ground, we should be in GREAT shape for the next 5 years at Kicker and you will probably see Jimmy become the #1 kicker in the nation.