PDA

View Full Version : Any Bourbon Drinkers Around Here?

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 05:27 PM
Just curious and if so what brand do you prefer?

Mjcpr
8/25/2006, 05:30 PM
Howard's Mark

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2006, 05:32 PM
You rang? Jim Beam. What's yours, Geek?

PrideTrombone
8/25/2006, 05:33 PM
Knob Creek or Weller's.

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 05:36 PM
Howard's Mark
I've heard of Makers Mark but not Howard. What's the story on that?

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 05:37 PM
Knob Creek or Weller's.
whoa.....an aristocrat.

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2006, 05:38 PM
So what do you drink, Geek?

afs
8/25/2006, 05:45 PM
homemade

Tailwind
8/25/2006, 05:53 PM
Geek, you must not be paying attention....JB for me.

LoyalFan
8/25/2006, 05:54 PM
Maker's Mark! Smooooth, tasty, and double distillation virtually eliminates the fusel oils. Fewer fusel oils no hangover if you slightly O.D.. Thus, in the morning you can pay proper attention to her fuselage, should she be a "morning" kinda lady.
A little test: Take a little swig of just about any other brand of booze, including the "designer" labels. With the stuff still in your mouth, exhale via your schnozz. Burn a little? (or a lot?) Now, do that with M's Mark. See? It's fusel oils that cause the burn.

LF

PS: Fair warning! Let not me find you putting other shixt in Maker's Mark. Mebbe a splash of club soda to give it a little crackle, but please...PLEASE!...no soft drinks. It do make a magnificent Manhattan, howevar.

BoogercountySooner
8/25/2006, 05:58 PM
Makers Mark, I got a millionare buddy that coulld have any Bourbon he wanted and he prefers Evan Freakin Williams Blah!

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2006, 05:59 PM
Makers Mark, I got a millionare buddy that coulld have any Bourbon he wanted and he prefers Evan Freakin Williams Blah!That's just nasty. I think a goat pees in that stuff.

TUSooner
8/25/2006, 06:05 PM
I just had some Bushmill's yesterday; it's kinda like a very light colored bourbon.

nuthin

LoyalFan
8/25/2006, 06:12 PM
I just had some Bushmill's yesterday; it's kinda like a very light colored bourbon.

nuthin

Dat be Irish, and it's more closely akin to Scotch. Hi-grade Irish, like hi-grade almost anything, is pretty danged good.

LF

TUSooner
8/25/2006, 06:19 PM
Dat be Irish, and it's more closely akin to Scotch. Hi-grade Irish, like hi-grade almost anything, is pretty danged good.

LF
No really. I think Irish (at least Bushmill's) reminds me more of charcoally bourbon than it does of Scotch.

Very interesting about the fusel oils, I should add.

Mjcpr
8/25/2006, 06:28 PM
I've heard of Makers Mark but not Howard. What's the story on that?
I was just being retarded, making a joke about this idjit that was known for his fondness of bourbon...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lou/galleries/ul-fau/apcacunrr_FLORIDA_ATLANT_19TAC-lg.jpg

Mongo
8/25/2006, 06:30 PM
Cant go wrong with the :chicken: And at $8.50 a fifth, it is easy on the wallet.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9029/fightingvr5.png (http://imageshack.us)

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 06:31 PM
So what do you drink, Geek?
My everyday pour is Kentucky Tavern. I love Buffalo Creek and sometimes I splurge and get a few bottles of Elijah Craig 12 year old.

If stuck on an island I would go with EC 12 year old.

I've gotta go to Dallas to get the Buffalo Creek. Not available here where I live. Neither is Elmer T. Lee which is also excellent. A distributor in town had a bottle and gave it to me. It's on the sweet side but very nice.

The Wild Turkey 101 Rye is outstanding but on the expensive side for me.

I don't really think there are any really bad bourbons. However, Old Crow sort of sucks. That's definitely bottom shelf stuff.

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 06:32 PM
I was just being retarded, making a joke about this idjit that was known for his fondness of bourbon...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lou/galleries/ul-fau/apcacunrr_FLORIDA_ATLANT_19TAC-lg.jpg
That's my kind of guy! Excluding him as coach of course.

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 06:34 PM
No really. I think Irish (at least Bushmill's) reminds me more of charcoally bourbon than it does of Scotch.

Very interesting about the fusel oils, I should add.
TU, I would have thought you were a moonshine guy! ;)

Miko
8/25/2006, 06:56 PM
While not a bourbon, but a sourmash whiskey, I am very fond of Jack Daniel's Black with a splash of soda.

Oh, waitress!!!!!

Oldnslo
8/25/2006, 07:01 PM
Basil Hayden.

I used to think Woodford Reserve was the numba.one bourbon, but I did a side-by-side with Basil and he kicked ***.

All y'all saying Makers Mark? Just try Basil Hayden. Just try it. It'll be the last time you drink anything else.

Chuck Bao
8/25/2006, 07:23 PM
Good suggestions, all.

Since somebody brought up Smellsofbourbon, how about the sweat smell factor the next day?

I mean I don’t want to accidentally drink half a bottle one night and the next day smell like I went swimming in the stuff.

And, that cheap stuff is the worst. Good Gawd what is in that stuff?

OKC Sooner
8/25/2006, 07:28 PM
Eye of newt, toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog.

Plus a little formaldehyde to give it a tang.

At least that's what the White Horse whiskey I drank in the Philippines was made of.

BoogercountySooner
8/25/2006, 07:57 PM
Rich and Rare Woohoo

IB4OU2
8/25/2006, 07:59 PM
While not a bourbon, but a sourmash whiskey, I am very fond of Jack Daniel's Black with a splash of soda.

Oh, waitress!!!!!

Excellent choice, let the lightweights drink the bourbon or JB.....;)

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 08:05 PM
Excellent choice, let the lightweights drink the bourbon or JB.....;)
Yeah, but what sucks is they dropped Jack back to 80 proof from 86 proof a fews years back which is an unpardonable sin!

sooner_born_1960
8/25/2006, 08:36 PM
I'm fond of Old Charter. 10 Yr. 12 if I got a few more coins in my pocket.
http://www.greatbourbon.com/oldcharter12y.html

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 08:58 PM
I'm fond of Old Charter. 10 Yr. 12 if I got a few more coins in my pocket.
http://www.greatbourbon.com/oldcharter12y.html
You are correct, sir! Especially on the 12 year. That site is from the Buffalo Trace distillery. Those guys and Heaven Hill the greatest distilleries in the country!

The Tennessee sour mash, Jack and Dickel are also excellent.

VeeJay
8/25/2006, 09:34 PM
I went through an extended Rebel Yell period in the late 80's - early 90's. I could definitely tell a difference in the after effects when they went from 90 to 80 proof.

There was a high-brow version of that label called "W.L. Weller's Reserve" that was excellent, but a little pricey. I'm not sure if that's still on the market or not.

I'm not sure why I latched onto Rebel Yell - maybe the label. A hard charging Confederate soldier on a horse waving a sword in the air. That to me, meant...respect. My NE Mississippi hillbilly heritage probably played a subliminal part in my attraction to that product.

I also dabbled in Maker's Mark. If my menory serves me correctly, in 1991 they came out with the holiday package with the red wax around the label. That gave the brand a distinctive look and they stuck with it. It's one of my favorites to this day.

I remember drinking the better part of a bottle of George Dickel years ago (probably 20+) and I thought I was going to die. That was the last time George and I hooked up.

My BIL, before he became a deacon in the Southern Baptist faith, used to hit a rotgut offering pretty hard called "Charcoal Perfected" - which in those days ran around $7 a fifth. That's probably the worst I've had.

JD is good. One of the best trips I ever made was a visit to the JD Distillery in Lynchburg, TN. Jim Beam is good. And Beam has those handy plastic travel packs, which I find convenient for trips. Although with the new airport restrictions, I don't know if you can smuggle sour mash on board or not. I don't drink like I used to.

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 09:39 PM
There was a high-brow version of that label called "W.L. Weller's Reserve" that was excellent, but a little pricey. I'm not sure if that's still on the market or not.
It is.
http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/DBvd.php?id=272&task=displaybottling

VeeJay
8/25/2006, 09:53 PM
When bourbon is produced, it is distilled and clear. The oak barrels and the aging process gives it its distinctive amber color. That's common knowledge, and where "Old No. 7" on the JD label comes from.

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/templates/subBlack/images/logo_phpBB.gif

GottaHavePride
8/25/2006, 10:48 PM
Basil Hayden.

I used to think Woodford Reserve was the numba.one bourbon, but I did a side-by-side with Basil and he kicked ***.

All y'all saying Makers Mark? Just try Basil Hayden. Just try it. It'll be the last time you drink anything else.

I'll make that my next bottle, then. At this point Knob Creek and Elijah Craig are my favorites.

phead903
8/25/2006, 10:57 PM
When bourbon is produced, it is distilled and clear. The oak barrels and the aging process gives it its distinctive amber color. That's common knowledge, and where "Old No. 7" on the JD label comes from.

http://www.bourbonenthusiast.com/forum/templates/subBlack/images/logo_phpBB.gif

As a former Kentuckian, one of the things I learned was that boubon has to be distilled (not bottled) in Kentucky to be called bourbon. Which is why JD is called "Tennesse Sippin' Whiskey"

As fo rmy preference - If I'm buying it's Makers Mark - if you're buying it's Knob Creek Single Barrel - but both are servied with a splash of water only!!

Geekboy
8/25/2006, 11:26 PM
As a former Kentuckian, one of the things I learned was that boubon has to be distilled (not bottled) in Kentucky to be called bourbon. Which is why JD is called "Tennesse Sippin' Whiskey"

Dude, don't mean to rain on your parade but bourbon doesn't have to be distilled in Kentucky to be called bourbon. It has to be at least 51% corn and the rest rye or wheat.

From BourbonEnthusiast.com:
"Jack Daniel's, is not considered a bourbon because it is charcoal-mellowed -- slowly, drop by drop, filtered through sugar-maple charcoal -- prior to aging, which many experts say gives it a different character. The process, called the Lincoln County Process, infuses a sweet and sooty character into the distillate as it removes impurities. But up to and after the charcoal filtering, the Jack Daniel's production is much the same as any other Bourbon. Jack Daniel's and George Dickel are two fine Tennessee Whiskeys though neither can be called bourbon."

Also from the same site the question "what is bourbon"
"There are strict laws governing just what a Bourbon must be to be labeled as such. For example, at least 51 percent of the grain used in making the whiskey must be corn (most distillers use 65 to 75 percent corn). Bourbon must be aged for a minimum of two years in new, white oak barrels that have been charred. Nothing can be added at bottling to enhance flavor, add sweetness or alter color."

Bourbon if met by these requirements can be made anywhere in the U.S.

Also from the Wild Turkey site:
"Where is most bourbon made?
In Kentucky. The state has 12 operating distilleries that produce 90 to 95 percent of the world's supply of bourbon. Bourbon can be made in other places in the U.S., but you cannot add the state name to the label. Only Kentucky has this distinction."

Not trying to screw with you but I mistakenly thought the same thing awhile back.

SCOUT
8/26/2006, 12:32 AM
Put me down as a Maker's Mark fan. I have pretty much given up the hard stuff, but this is my weakness.

Rhino
8/26/2006, 11:42 AM
How has Penguin not responded to this yet?

Harry Beanbag
8/26/2006, 11:53 AM
How has Penguin not responded to this yet?

He's probably hungover from all the cheap bourbon he drank last night.

rebmus
8/26/2006, 11:56 AM
i like jim beam... but i afford ten high or old barton. (1/2 gallon usually around $18.)

p.s. try drinking bourbon out of empty cool whip bowls.

Ash
8/26/2006, 12:02 PM
i like jim beam... but i afford ten high or old barton. (1/2 gallon usually around $18.)

p.s. try drinking bourbon out of empty cool whip bowls.

Good gawd, what do you live under a bridge?:eek:

Makers straight up double or Wellers on ice. Jack on ice if I have to.

rebmus
8/26/2006, 12:32 PM
Good gawd, what do you live under a bridge?:eek:

divorced a lawyer. nuff said? :mad:

Ash
8/26/2006, 12:57 PM
divorced a lawyer. nuff said? :mad:

wow! I take it back. Ten High in Cool Whip containers it is!:D

Rogue
8/26/2006, 02:17 PM
Black Jack, Gentleman Jack, Wild Turkey, and my favorite is actually an Irish Whiskey (not whisky in this case)...Jameson.

http://www.techpress.com/whiskey/jameson.html

Geekboy
8/26/2006, 08:24 PM
Black Jack, Gentleman Jack, Wild Turkey, and my favorite is actually an Irish Whiskey (not whisky in this case)...Jameson.

http://www.techpress.com/whiskey/jameson.html
Just curious because I don't know. Is Irish whiskey more like scotch or bourbon?

GottaHavePride
8/26/2006, 08:30 PM
Just curious because I don't know. Is Irish whiskey more like scotch or bourbon?
Scotch. Both are made from 100% barley. The main difference (other than where it's made) is that Irish whiskey doesn't use peat smoke to flavor the whiskey. Bourbon, on the other hand, is made from at least 51% corn.

Ash
8/26/2006, 08:43 PM
One of my favorite scotch whiskies

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3368/allbottlespy2.jpg

It's an acquired taste for some, but it RMFO!:texan:

Rogue
8/26/2006, 08:49 PM
Irish Whiskey may be more like Scotch, but I have not acquired a taste for Scotch at all.

GottaHavePride
8/26/2006, 09:29 PM
One of my favorite scotch whiskies

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/3368/allbottlespy2.jpg

It's an acquired taste for some, but it RMFO!:texan:

I'll have to try that sometime. So far my favorie Scotch is

http://www.67wine.com/images/items/full/100409.jpg

MamaMia
8/26/2006, 09:42 PM
I like Crown Royal. It makes a nice hot toddy, and you can make quilts for the fellows in the family out of the little cloth pouches. :D

GottaHavePride
8/26/2006, 09:46 PM
I like Crown Royal. It makes a nice hot toddy, and you can make quilts for the fellows in the family out of the little cloth pouches. :D

those pouches are prized as trumpet mute bags.

Doesn't work for trombone, though. I'd somewhere have to find gallon jugs of crown to get a bag large enough for my mutes. Plus, I'd need about 7 of them. And that's just silly.

Ash
8/26/2006, 09:55 PM
I'll have to try that sometime. So far my favorie Scotch is

http://www.67wine.com/images/items/full/100409.jpg

Nice choice!

Laphroaig has a verrry smoky taste to it, so don't expect you're average scotch. But, it's durn tasty and even the lower end bottles are smoother than most other scotches. I'd recommend giving it a try (on the rocks). If you can find a bar that serves it, maybe try a glass first - some people don't like the peaty taste of it. Cheers!:D

Ash
8/26/2006, 09:56 PM
:D :D