PDA

View Full Version : Is Bob bluffing about AD?

stoopified
8/25/2006, 04:44 PM
Coach Stoops has made repeated references to AD carrying the ball 30-35 times a game.Do you seriously believe that is his intent?

As for myself,I think Coach is engaging in deliberate misdirection.I think he WANTS OUr foes to think that AD is OUr only hope of victory.He is cleverly IMHO downplaying what he expects fron ENA,AP,OUr talented battalion of WRs,the TEs including Gresham.I would not be surprised to see AD carry the ball 25-30 times in the first four games of the season and then we hit UT with a much more diverse attack.I think we pop the Orange Cows with a major can of previously unseen Offensive WHIPA$$.My thinking is basically this;If Stoops intends to have an infantry heavy attack atride ADs back,why clsose practices and scrimmages? I think Bob knows about all the weapons we have but is underselling them.Just my humble opinion.What are the other thoughts,theories, and guesses out there?

boomrsoonr
8/25/2006, 04:48 PM
Stoops is sneaky, but he doesn't need to be in this instance. Everyone will be keying on AD. At least thru the first two games. After that, the secret would be out.

I don't think we'll be seeing PT throw as much as we think he will. He may tuck it and run some.

JohnnyMack
8/25/2006, 04:49 PM
Mark my words. First offensive play from scrimmage this season is PT faking a handoff to AD and spinning out on a naked bootleg for a first down.

colleyvillesooner
8/25/2006, 04:51 PM
Mark my words. First offensive play from scrimmage this season is PT faking a handoff to AD and spinning out on a naked bootleg for a first down.

I predict a rollout as well, but a pass to Kelly for an 8 yard gain.

If it falls incomplete, we're ****ed. Season. Over. ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/25/2006, 04:52 PM

Way to go *******...now the other team knows too!!

cjames317
8/25/2006, 04:54 PM
"I think we pop the Orange Cows with a major can of previously unseen Offensive WHIPA$$."

Dig it. Do I hear 70?

stoopified
8/25/2006, 05:00 PM
"I think we pop the Orange Cows with a major can of previously unseen Offensive WHIPA$$."

Dig it. Do I hear 70?Yeah baby,I was a teen in the 70's.You holdin' my slack?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/25/2006, 05:04 PM
I say when we get them down, we start an overrated chant just for the hell of it ;)

Jello Biafra
8/25/2006, 05:06 PM
Yeah baby,I was a teen in the 70's.You holdin' my sack?

what kinda crap is goin on in this post?

:D

picasso
8/25/2006, 05:18 PM
Mark my words. First offensive play from scrimmage this season is PT faking a handoff to AD and spinning out on a naked bootleg for a quick kick on first down.

fixed

jus kiddin

TUSooner
8/25/2006, 05:57 PM
Bob told me, but I had to promise not to tell you.

The Maestro
8/25/2006, 06:29 PM
As long as we don't try a bomb again!

SoonerDood
8/25/2006, 06:31 PM
here we go with a dang predictable offense again! Screw you Kevin Wilson!

BASSooner
8/25/2006, 06:52 PM
hes talkin the talk which is a good thing. We'll see some good things on the field this season

tulsaoilerfan
8/25/2006, 06:57 PM
Bob never bluffs

goingoneight
8/25/2006, 09:18 PM
I predict a rollout as well, but a pass to Kelly for an 8 yard gain.

If it falls incomplete, we're ****ed. Season. Over. ;)

yeah, pull him and put the Rhomar kid in...

msteudem
8/25/2006, 10:04 PM
yeah, pull him and put the Rhomar kid in...

The Fake Keith Jackson: "Yeah that Brett kid."

85sooners
8/25/2006, 10:11 PM
ad up the middle for 70 yards

Sooner47
8/25/2006, 11:20 PM
Coach Stoops has made repeated references to AD carrying the ball 30-35 times a game.Do you seriously believe that is his intent?

As for myself,I think Coach is engaging in deliberate misdirection.I think he WANTS OUr foes to think that AD is OUr only hope of victory.He is cleverly IMHO downplaying what he expects fron ENA,AP,OUr talented battalion of WRs,the TEs including Gresham.I would not be surprised to see AD carry the ball 25-30 times in the first four games of the season and then we hit UT with a much more diverse attack.I think we pop the Orange Cows with a major can of previously unseen Offensive WHIPA$$.My thinking is basically this;If Stoops intends to have an infantry heavy attack atride ADs back,why clsose practices and scrimmages? I think Bob knows about all the weapons we have but is underselling them.Just my humble opinion.What are the other thoughts,theories, and guesses out there?

Surely you're not implying that coach Stoops would deliberately mislead an opponent. No coach would ever do such an immoral thing. I'm shocked, shocked I say that you would make such an accusation. ;)

boomrsoonr
8/25/2006, 11:25 PM
On the OU 2006 Preview (on Chn 3 in Tulsa, right now) he wouldn't say much about their offensive schemes. "I'm not willing to give details yet, but we'll have a few surprises......."

KingDavid
8/26/2006, 12:40 AM
On the OU 2006 Preview (on Chn 3 in Tulsa, right now) he wouldn't say much about their offensive schemes. "I'm not willing to give details yet, but we'll have a few surprises......."

It'll be a deep bomb to Chad Roark out of the swinging gate formation. I swear. First play. Bank on it.

boomrsoonr
8/26/2006, 12:42 AM
It'll be a deep bomb to Chad Roark out of the swinging gate formation. I swear. First play. Bank on it.

What's "surprising" about that? ;)

I think it'll be a shotgun formation, WR racing down the field, and PT shovel passes it to AD who runs for about 30 yards before the dropping back safeties close on him.

But that's just a guess. ;)

olevetonahill
8/26/2006, 01:01 AM
Shirley Yall dont think" River Boat Bob" would do anything like that ?

olevetonahill
8/26/2006, 01:03 AM

I think it'll be a shotgun formation, WR racing down the field, and PT shovel passes it to AD who runs for about 30 yards before the dropping back safeties close on him.

Pass in the flats to AD . TD Oklahoma
nuff said ;)

GottaHavePride
8/26/2006, 01:05 AM
Mark my words.

Wow, pulled that one out of the file next to "You'll rue the day!", didn't you? ;)

Blue
8/26/2006, 01:07 AM
Why can't we space the O-line ala 99 and run some crazy spread option?

KingDavid
8/26/2006, 01:08 AM

bumeruski to Duke Robinson for 30 yards. you heard it here, first. :D

Fraggle145
8/26/2006, 02:20 AM
I know that AD will do his thing and bob is doing his thing... All I want to see is the "bone" when we beat UT and "Ninja" when we put half a hundred on the Red Rump Raiders

Rogue
8/26/2006, 06:26 AM
I formation, FB lead, AD off R. guard. Gain of 3 yards...second down.

I think we may see some conservative stuff early, but some good balance also. PT needs the passing reps at game speed and we need the D's to be honest. If our O-line was as good as AD, we could shove it up the middle all the live long day. This year, not so much.

TripleOption14
8/26/2006, 07:25 AM
First play will be the exact same play as last year! Only difference is PT connects on the play!! Wait a tick.... isn't there a thread about this already....
Opps :D

To get back on track... Yes Coach Stoops is bluffing! :D

stoopified
8/26/2006, 08:29 AM
One more reason for thinking Bob is engaging in verbal misdirection,the carry toatal for 13 games wodld be 390-455 for AD and 420-490 if we play in the Big 12 Title Game.I recall that Q looked a lot more rested and was a bigger breakawy threat as a sr. when his workload was eased by KJ.Is it gametime yet?

sooneron
8/26/2006, 09:19 AM
No way AD lasts the season with more than 28 CPG.

SoonerJedi
8/27/2006, 04:44 PM
Hand-off to AD = 8 yards.
Hand off to AD = 12 yards.
Hand-off to AD = 18 yards.
Hand-off to AD = 11 yards.
16 yard TD pass to any of 4 receivers standing wide open in the end zone while the rest of UAB is tracking AD.

umberto
8/27/2006, 07:06 PM
I know that AD will do his thing and bob is doing his thing... All I want to see is the "bone" when we beat UT and "Ninja" when we put half a hundred on the Red Rump Raiders

Please, no Ninja formation! I can't stand to hear Bob Barry call it the Ninjee formation again. :D

westcoast_sooner
8/27/2006, 10:19 PM
Doesn't really matter if Coach Stoops is bluffing or not. Some days it might be the AD Dive up the middle show, and he gains 110 on 35 carries. Other days, the opposing defense keys on AD, he carries 20 times for 235 yards and ENA throws for 210. In either case, it's a good start for a Sooner win.

ADs_Agent
8/28/2006, 12:19 AM
IMHO, as long as ENA doesn't turn the ball over and is used in his abilities to run and short pass, OU will be fine.

rainiersooner
8/28/2006, 01:08 AM

I stuck my neck out on this prediction in another post...I think it's PT faking a handoff to AD and completing a post to Kelly for 50 yards...the whole exorcising of the TCU/Travis Wilson thing...maybe not, but it feels good!!

oKOIhoma fan
8/28/2006, 05:37 AM
I think Bob shows us his humorous side and puts Bomar back on scholarship and unveils their special play which calls for an OL audible to the sideline exposing Bomar to an onrush of defensive power. After the play Stoops decides that his "star" QB is no longer needed. That would be a wonderful start to a great year.

JohnnyMack
8/28/2006, 09:18 AM
Wow, pulled that one out of the file next to "You'll rue the day!", didn't you? ;)

I was in my secret lair plotting world domination when i typed that apparently. :O

tbl
8/28/2006, 12:15 PM
One of my favorite plays, especially goal line. It's hardly ever stopped.

Luthor
8/28/2006, 03:35 PM
I don't know if he is or not. However, even before Bomar left I predicted that Peterson would end the season with 400+ carries if he stays healthy. I stand by that.

Sooner-N-KS
8/28/2006, 04:23 PM
I don't know if he is or not. However, even before Bomar left I predicted that Peterson would end the season with 400+ carries if he stays healthy. I stand by that.

400 carries x 5 yds/carry = Heisman + Big 12 Champs :D

picasso
8/28/2006, 08:07 PM
Shirley Yall dont think" River Boat Bob" would do anything like that ?
do not call me surely.

GDC
8/29/2006, 07:55 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060829_B1_Peter6367_b1adrian29.jpg

Peterson might run ball out of multiple sets
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/29/2006

The junior is an I-back, but OU will run more shotgun this year.
NORMAN -- Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson is the classic I-formation tailback: Big, strong, powerful, explosive, fast and determined.

But does that limit Peterson's involvement in the Sooners' offense this season? It's expected that OU, with new offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson calling plays, will line up often in the shotgun formation, much the same he ran as coordinator at Miami-Ohio and Northwestern, and again in OU's Holiday Bowl win over Oregon last December.

Will Peterson's effectiveness as a power runner be lessened if he's taking handoffs from a standing start?

"Coming out of the shot gun, it's not like coming straight downhill when you're in the I-formation or in the one-back," Peterson said. "Being back there by yourself or with a fullback, I can get my speed and just see things clear.

"When I'm coming straight down, I have the opportunity to make a lot of different cuts. Coming out of the shotgun, it's like, you're not moving as fast and your momentum's not the same. That's the biggest difference."

In a nutshell, I-formation tailbacks are moving forward toward a designated hole

when they receive the handoff and are at full speed when they get there. Shotgun runners are often standing still when they get the football and must then find one of several potential openings, and must frequently change directions.

This is all, of course, conjecture without knowing Wilson's scheme and the frequency with which he calls Peterson's number in various formations. That will become evident on game day.

Some say it wouldn't matter where Peterson lines up; that he's talented enough for any formation. University of Alabama-Birmingham coach Watson Brown -- whose team kicks off the season-opener at 6 p.m. Saturday against the 10th-ranked Sooners at Memorial Stadium -- watched closely USC's loss to Texas in the Rose Bowl last January (Brown's brother, Mack, is the Longhorns' head coach). He figures Peterson to be a combination of Reggie Bush and LenDale White.

"He's the best back I've played in the 12 years we've been here," Watson Brown said. "I just don't see a weakness. I don't think it matters what they do with him. They could put him in the gun, they could stick him in the I, they could put him outside and throw him a quick screen. I mean, this guy can do everything."

OU running backs coach Cale Gundy agreed.

"Adrian Peterson's going to be great in the gun -- what we call the home position -- or in the I, because he's a great player," Gundy said. "He's fast, great quickness. Typically your smaller backs that don't weigh as much aren't your power-formation running guys."

Wilson cited examples in the pros.

-- Former Sooner Quentin Griffin rushed for 1,884 yards in 2002 at OU out of the shotgun, but, at 5-foot-7, 190 pounds, hasn't made a great impact in the NFL because he isn't the prototype back for a physical running game (Griffin has also been injured).

-- NFL rushing king Emmitt Smith, Wilson said, was suited for the I-formation in Dallas because running lanes in the I take time to develop, and Smith wasn't overly fast and knew when to cut back.

-- Barry Sanders, on the other hand, was perfect for Detroit's spread offense and, with his body type, Wilson said, might not have lasted as long in Washington or Denver running directly into defenses.

"In the shotgun, you're run ning sideways," Peterson said. "When you're back there with a fullback, you step right and your shoulders are downhill and there's a lot of different cuts you can make.

"Some guys are better in some formations, but either way, you've got to get it done."

Peterson, most suggest, is best with the quarterback in front of him, not beside him.

"He's better when he's deep than he is in the gun," Wilson said. "He's better going downhill than he is going sideways."

Conventional wisdom suggests smaller, quicker runners with a low center of gravity are better from a standing start, while bigger, stronger runners who take on tacklers are better from a running start. But it's much deeper than that.

"Some guys feel things and make nice cuts, some guys can't," Wilson said."They process it different. Whether it's their vision or mentally or whatever, I don't know."

But the idea that runners should be in formations that suit their body types, Brown said, is a fallacy.

"I don't believe that," Brown said. "I've seen all kinds of backs be good at lots of different things through my time. Now, you put 'em in the spread-type thing, they have to be good at seeing holes and hitting holes, running to daylight. You stick 'em in the I, sometimes there are hole-type running plays in the I and then there are just power plays that go right at you.

"But I just don't see this kid not being able to do all of that. I've seen him do all of that, matter of fact."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].