PDA

View Full Version : horns and complacency?

MRNOTDUCKS
8/25/2006, 02:38 PM
Just wanted to touch on a topic that I haven't seen addressed yet.

Will the fact that the horns won the big one last year factor into their disposition this year?

I have always maintained that Mack is not a great coach in terms of motivating his team and getting them ready to play. Although, I'm sure they would deny it now, a couple of horns on this board agreed with me last year, saying that was a legitimate concern.

Last year saw a few games where VY pretty much single-handedly carried the horns to victory. Think osu.

With VY out of the picture, what or who will save Mack when he fails to get the team to ready to play this year?

Let's not forget that his motivational problems were occurring before he won this championship. If the team had problems getting up for games leading to the holy grail, how will his team get pumped to win the trophy they just won the season before? For this reason, I predict the horns will lose games they probably should win this year.

The recent news about Cedric Benson in Chicago, who Ditka called "a total mess" this morning, being on the outs with his teamates, the Ricky Williams legacy, Ramonce Taylor... you get the picture that the horns are just a bunch of individuals running around wild -- not much of a team.

I think after this season, horn fans will have even more reason to kiss the feet of VY. Remember that it was only 2 years ago that horn fans were crying for Mack's head. It is no coincidence that those cries grew silent as VY became the starting QB. But now that he is gone... ???

boomrsoonr
8/25/2006, 02:45 PM
I think they have the big head and will look more like the proverbial monkey ....ing the football. Especially if they lose to tOSU. Mack's teams have a habit of.. if they lose one early, they'll lose another one for sure. That's where we come in.

And while VY looked unstoppable last year, we proved the year before that he could be stopped. And the year before that.... and.......... ;)

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 03:01 PM
This UT team has a lot of experienced leaders on there. Selvin Young's been the most vocal on the field. Kasey Studdard. Brian Robison. Michael Griffin.

Complacency of the team was addressed. Everyone agreed that had Vince stayed, they would have been very complacent but since we're starting a FR QB, everybody worked their tails off this offseason. I think the team attitude will be the opposite of what you suggest, Ducks. We finally won and now those dudes really want it again and really want to prove that we weren't a one man team last year.

TexasLidig8r
8/25/2006, 03:03 PM
And while VY looked unstoppable last year, we proved the year before that he could be stopped. And the year before that.... and.......... ;)

Holy crap!!! I guess that means Vince ... developed! YIKES!

As for the initial post from one of the resident aggsys... same song different verse. Texas will win at least 10 this year as they have for the last... 5 years... aggsy will be an afterthought, not on a national scale, but in the Big XII South.

Each year,.. same thing... sun rises in the east.. water is wet.. aggysy is delusional.

proudsoonergal
8/25/2006, 03:11 PM
This UT team has a lot of experienced leaders on there. Selvin Young's been the most vocal on the field. Kasey Studdard. Brian Robison. Michael Griffin.

Kasey Studdard went to Texas? Wasn't he a super recruit out of high school?

:D

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2006, 03:27 PM

"Kasey Studdard will bring the whorns to seven virgin heaven and beat the infidels from Norman!"
http://www.theodoresworld.net/pics/0506/allah_fubar_Image1.jpg

Dirka, dirka Mack Brown Jihad!

footballfanatic
8/25/2006, 03:30 PM
Just wanted to touch on a topic that I haven't seen addressed yet.

Will the fact that the horns won the big one last year factor into their disposition this year?

I have always maintained that Mack is not a great coach in terms of motivating his team and getting them ready to play. Although, I'm sure they would deny it now, a couple of horns on this board agreed with me last year, saying that was a legitimate concern.

Last year saw a few games where VY pretty much single-handedly carried the horns to victory. Think osu.

With VY out of the picture, what or who will save Mack when he fails to get the team to ready to play this year?

Let's not forget that his motivational problems were occurring before he won this championship. If the team had problems getting up for games leading to the holy grail, how will his team get pumped to win the trophy they just won the season before? For this reason, I predict the horns will lose games they probably should win this year.

The recent news about Cedric Benson in Chicago, who Ditka called "a total mess" this morning, being on the outs with his teamates, the Ricky Williams legacy, Ramonce Taylor... you get the picture that the horns are just a bunch of individuals running around wild -- not much of a team.

I think after this season, horn fans will have even more reason to kiss the feet of VY. Remember that it was only 2 years ago that horn fans were crying for Mack's head. It is no coincidence that those cries grew silent as VY became the starting QB. But now that he is gone... ???

Interesting post. Many true points, especially about spoiled Horns in the pros. The one I disagree with that "VY singlehandely beat OSU last year." OSU had many possessions in the Texas side of the field--two of them were the results of bad plays by VY. The defense forced field goals, and held their ground during key
moments in the game, and deserve plenty of credit. And for every rotten UT player in the pros, there are hard-working ones, as well. Will UT lose games this season? Yes, but VY wasn't the whole team.

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 03:44 PM
Kasey Studdard went to Texas? Wasn't he a super recruit out of high school?

:D
He's actually my favorite.

Jello Biafra
8/25/2006, 03:56 PM

Complacency of the team was addressed. Everyone agreed that had Vince stayed, they would have been very complacent but since we're starting a FR QB, everybody worked their tails off this offseason. I think the team attitude will be the opposite of what you suggest, Ducks. We finally won and now those dudes really want it again and really want to prove that we weren't a one man team last year.

wow. you know, this looks like almost every post made about OU being complacent since winning the NC in 2000............i bet you guys are lifting weights too huh?

Jello Biafra
8/25/2006, 04:00 PM
Interesting post. Many true points, especially about spoiled Horns in the pros. The one I disagree with that "VY singlehandely beat OSU last year." OSU had many possessions in the Texas side of the field--two of them were the results of bad plays by VY. The defense forced field goals, and held their ground during key
moments in the game, and deserve plenty of credit. And for every rotten UT player in the pros, there are hard-working ones, as well. Will UT lose games this season? Yes, but VY wasn't the whole team.

yeh. he was. you take vy out of stillwater last year, you guys lose by 30.....

you wouldn't have won at the shoe.
if you would have won. you would have barely beat us without vy
you would have lost to usc.....

any others i missed? im sure there was a tt or kansas bad call somewhere i didn't care enough about to watch.

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 04:01 PM
wow. you know, this looks like almost every post made about OU being complacent since winning the NC in 2000............i bet you guys are lifting weights too huh?
Scoff all you want but the entire team lost weight this offseason. Even our O linemen have slim waistlines (well, slimmer). Selvin Young lost 16 pounds and is actually fast again. Our 2 starting DEs lost 15 pounds each to up their sack totals. Everybody's faster.

Nobody was telling your 2001 team that offseason that they only won because of a single player. That talk has put a big chip on our shoulder.

MRNOTDUCKS
8/25/2006, 04:07 PM
That's a pretty creative way to spin it. congratulations

Jello Biafra
8/25/2006, 04:10 PM
Scoff all you want but the entire team lost weight this offseason. Even our O linemen have slim waistlines (well, slimmer). Selvin Young lost 16 pounds and is actually fast again. Our 2 starting DEs lost 15 pounds each to up their sack totals. Everybody's faster.

Nobody was telling your 2001 team that offseason that they only won because of a single player. That talk has put a big chip on our shoulder.

chips or not, you can only play with what the good lord gave you.

we had a top 5 offense and defense in 2001 but NATE was running the show. nothing against nate AT ALL. he wasn't heuple and that's all im going to say about that.

here's another way of looking at it for you whoren/nascar peeps. you can have a racecar, a pit crew, all the money you can handle to maintain that team but if you can't change lanes on I-35 without slowing down and checking your mirror 4 times, you will not win a single race. not one.

you can have the number 1 offense and defense in the nation ALL year long but without a qb to make it go.........o no you suck agin.....

fwsooner22
8/25/2006, 04:13 PM

HS.......you are now in the NC Club there is no doubt about that......However, you have ZERO experience knowing what it like to be the HUNTED......Every team in the country wants you to lose every week. Every kid on the field wants to knock the snot out of your guys and play the best game he has every played in his life. Every coach you face knows he can make a name for himself by beating you..........You are the national champions..........You have no idea what it is like to DEFEND that trophy...........But you are about to find out...........Good Luck

1991SOONER
8/25/2006, 04:13 PM
I think they have the big head and will look more like the proverbial monkey ....ing the football. Especially if they lose to tOSU. Mack's teams have a habit of.. if they lose one early, they'll lose another one for sure. That's where we come in.

I cannot wait until the tOSU and OU games. I've got bets on both of those games with some whorns. I will have a field day with those delusional fans for the next 365 days if we win.

boomrsoonr
8/25/2006, 04:22 PM
You have no idea what it is like to DEFEND that trophy

Truer words have NEVER been spoken about the wHorns. :D

Liddy, maybe Young did finally "develope". About time. Remember 12-0? I think that hurts you guys worse than the previous 4 losses put together. He was stopped and UT was shut out for the first time in how many years?

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 04:30 PM
chips or not, you can only play with what the good lord gave you.

we had a top 5 offense and defense in 2001 but NATE was running the show. nothing against nate AT ALL. he wasn't heuple and that's all im going to say about that.

here's another way of looking at it for you whoren/nascar peeps. you can have a racecar, a pit crew, all the money you can handle to maintain that team but if you can't change lanes on I-35 without slowing down and checking your mirror 4 times, you will not win a single race. not one.

you can have the number 1 offense and defense in the nation ALL year long but without a qb to make it go.........o no you suck agin.....
That's valid. We shall see. I think McCoy's going to rock. I might just start a Colt McCoy/Bill Braskey thread. Oh, and you know Brent Musburger is tripping over himself waiting to give "The Real" McCoy his nickname.

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 04:32 PM
...However, you have ZERO experience knowing what it like to be the HUNTED......Every team in the country wants you to lose every week. Every kid on the field wants to knock the snot out of your guys and play the best game he has every played in his life.
I would submit that we face this every game, every season. We're universally hated. The "Horns Down" sign has become a national phenomenon. ;)

wishbonesooner
8/25/2006, 04:33 PM
so herr, will we see a QB rotation at UT? Or is McCoy pretty solid as the starter?

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 04:35 PM
so herr, will we see a QB rotation at UT? Or is McCoy pretty solid as the starter?
McCoy's the guy. Snead will get mop up duty out of necessity because he's the backup.

Jello Biafra
8/25/2006, 04:40 PM
McCoy's the guy. Snead will get mop up duty out of necessity because he's the backup.

snead will prolly be the starter by OU

MRNOTDUCKS
8/25/2006, 04:44 PM
I doubt it. Mack learned the hard way that horn fans don't like QB controversies.

boomrsoonr
8/25/2006, 04:44 PM
snead will prolly be the starter by OU

Snead may transfer to OU. :D

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 04:48 PM
Snead may transfer to OU. :D
He was actually an aggy fan growing up. Wears boots and a belt buckle.

boomrsoonr
8/25/2006, 04:49 PM
He was actually an aggy fan growing up. Wears boots and a belt buckle.

Sounds like a Texas cheerleader. :eek:

footballfanatic
8/25/2006, 04:59 PM

any others i missed? im sure there was a tt or kansas bad call somewhere i didn't care enough about to watch.

You're not quite answering my post. I'm not saying we would have won all of our games without VY. I'm just stating that he wasn't the only reason we won all our games. There is an important difference.

footballfanatic
8/25/2006, 05:01 PM
I want Bomar to come to Texas. Talk about a great storyline. The 2007 RRS might be the most written about CFB game in modern history.

Jello Biafra
8/25/2006, 05:08 PM
I want Bomar to come to Texas. Talk about a great storyline. The 2007 RRS might be the most written about CFB game in modern history.

lol we can only hope.......

Jello Biafra
8/25/2006, 05:10 PM
You're not quite answering my post. I'm not saying we would have won all of our games without VY. I'm just stating that he wasn't the only reason we won all our games. There is an important difference.

im not seeing the f*&^in difference.
my point was, in all those games mentioned, VY brought them back from the loss singlehandidly.

as in, all things being equal, you guys would lose the game. comprende?

goingoneight
8/25/2006, 09:15 PM

Correction: They would have never played USC. Team was still good enough to win 10 or 11 in 2005. Defense and weak schedule set up nicely for that. VY just added a b-zillion points to make it flashy.

goingoneight
8/25/2006, 09:16 PM

are you high?

TexasLidig8r
8/28/2006, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a Texas cheerleader. :eek:

I don't see no boots and belt buckles...:D

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/images/photo_galleries/2004_05/092804_rice/images/pom_postgame.jpg

PAW
8/28/2006, 12:23 PM
I don't see no boots and belt buckles...:D

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/images/photo_galleries/2004_05/092804_rice/images/pom_postgame.jpg

What about that chick in the back with the hat and big nose? I can't tell if those are boots or not.

47straight
8/28/2006, 12:28 PM

Why? What would there be to write about? That he was in his second required year of sitting, unable to play until 2008?

Sometimes its reallly annoying that whorn fans don't understand the game of college football, and sometimes like this, it's actually amusing.