PDA

View Full Version : Texas Fans Whistling Past The Graveyard?

FaninAma
8/25/2006, 10:09 AM
I've read where a lot of UT fans are comparing Colt McCoy to Major Applewhite. Now is that comparison to the pre-Chris Simms Applewhite or a comparison to the post-Simms Applewhite when Major looked like a head case after Davis and Brown had screwed him over?

And if McCoy is firing on all cylinders doesn't that beg the question of whether there's a problem with UT's defense or at least the depth since McCoy is going against the second team D?

I think the UT fans are going to be in for a huge shock at the drop-off in performance at the QB position. With the high expectations in place it could get ugly for the 2 freshmen QB's this year since UT fans, even more than OU fans, are known to eat their own when things don't go well.

Partial Qualifier
8/25/2006, 10:17 AM
They're still high from their MNC win. They're more concerned with convincing themselves OU will "suck" this year than facing the fact that they're starting a redshirt freshman whose backup is... a true freshman.

"All the QB has to do is not make many mistakes".. yeah, they're setting themselves up for a huge disappointment this year. Mack Brown+Greg Davis+Two Freshman QB's.... huge, I mean HUGE entertainment potential this year at hornfans.

The drop-off from 2005 Vince Young to a freshman QB, idunno. What do you think? :rolleyes:

GDC
8/25/2006, 10:35 AM
Riddle me this
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
8/25/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Questions, theories in abundance as college football kicks off
The countdown has reached T-minus six days and counting until Thursday night, when 16 games lift off the 2006 college football season.

So the time is right for 10 questions that are hotter than a solid rocket booster. Hopefully they will help you survive these final days of a preseason that has lasted longer than a trip to watch Manny Sistrunk play for the University of Mars.

Who will win the national championship?

Get out the blindfold and dartboard; at least 15 teams have a legitimate shot. The lack of clear-cut favorite should mean we're in for one heckuva season.

Notre Dame was my pick in the Tulsa World's college football section, so there's no changing now. If his rookie season was any indication, Charlie Weis could be the best coach to hit South Bend since Frank Leahy left town in 1953.

Why is Ohio State getting so much media love?

Good question. The Buckeyes return only three defensive starters from a team that went 10-2 and defeated Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

Ah ha! There's the reason -- Notre Dame. That

bowl victory is the biggest reason for the trust in Tressel's Troops. If you don't think the media are enamored with everything Notre Dame this season, check the answer to question No. 1.

Will Bob Stoops be Oklahoma's coach in 2007?

That could depend on two factors: If Bill Parcells retires and how the Sooners fare this season.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones figures to make a run at Stoops if Parcells calls it quits. But if the fallout from the Rhett Bomar scandal causes OU's program to slump, Stoops' pride could make him remain in Norman until he's cleaned up every bit of residue from that mess.

Will Steve Kragthorpe be Tulsa's coach in 2007?

Some Golden Hurricane fans get touchy whenever you mention the possibility of TU losing a coach. And they really get ticked off (see Bill Self) when you're right. So stop reading this if you're a charter member of TU's Ticked-Off Crowd (TTOC).

If TU puts together a season comparable to last year, Kragthorpe is gone. Instead of getting ticked off at the messenger, spend your energy thanking Kragthorpe for the memories.

Can Texas defend its national championship without Vince Young?

Get serious. The Longhorns weren't even favored to win the Big 12 South until Bomar sold out his teammates for a few thousand unearned dollars.

The Longhorns' dream of a repeat will be shattered in their second game when Ohio State goes into Austin and avenges UT's huge victory last September in Columbus.

Will OU tailback Adrian Peterson have the best season in history?

If he does, the Sooners will need to find a space in the trophy case for the school's fifth Heisman Trophy. It's going to take a Herculean effort to top the 2,628 rushing yards Oklahoma State's Barry Sanders compiled in 1988 to win the Heisman.

Peterson also needs new offensive line coach James Patton to work some magic. The O-line doesn't appear to have the depth or experience to consistently open the holes Peterson needs to best Sanders' incredible season.

Has Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn already won the Heisman Trophy?

Trust me, this column isn't an Irish love-fest. But the hype, history and mystique surrounding the school means Quinn enters the 2006 Heisman race with a considerable head start. Notre Dame is the only school to have its own TV network (NBC), which is worth millions in free publicity.

Peterson could catch Quinn and pass him if he reaches his preseason goals of rushing for 2,200 yards and adding 500 yards in receptions. Ohio State's dynamic duo of Ted Ginn and Troy Smith will split votes if both play up to their potential.

Who is your sleeper for a national title?

California. The Bears are flying under the Pac-10 radar as everyone focuses on USC's bid to extend the remarkable run the Trojans have been on the past four seasons.

The Bears won't be a sleeper if they open the season on the road with an attention-getting victory at Tennessee.

Which coach needs to win now to be back in 2007?

Conventional offseason wisdom had Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione, Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer and Arkansas' Houston Nutt topping the list of several who are feeling the heat.

But the new leader in the locker room is Arizona State's Dirk Koetter after he bungled the selection of a starting quarterback. Fewer than 24 hours after Koetter named senior Sam Keller, his players talked him into switching to Rudy Carpenter. Keller is now at Nebraska and Koetter is perched on the hottest seat in the country.

What's new with the BCS?

Sure, save the toughest one for last. I need a lot more space than my sports editors allotted for this column to explain the souped-up BCS.

The most important thing to remember is the BCS has added a fifth game, which improves the chances of non-BCS schools like Tulsa to get an at-large bid. If that happens, shut your eyes, TTOC members, Kragthorpe can name his price at one of several schools eager to make him an instant multimillionaire.

OK, that's it. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready to blast off. And try not to get ticked off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read Dave Sittler's blog at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra.

GDC
8/25/2006, 10:37 AM
Sooners update
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/25/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Owens honored: Oklahoma 1969 Heisman Trophy winner Steve Owens will officially be bronzed Saturday before the Sooners' 2006 opener against UAB. That's when OU will unveil a statue of Owens in its Heisman Park across Jenkins Avenue east of Memorial Stadium.

The statue will sit alongside that of 1952 Heisman winner Billy Vessels that was unveiled last September. OU plans to erect statues of Billy Sims and Jason White, its other Heisman winners, in September of 2007.

Sims and White are expected to attend the ceremony, scheduled for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Owens rushed for 1,523 yards in '69 and 4,041 over his three-year career. He holds school records for career touchdowns (57) and carries (958).

Strength in numbers: According to results of OU's preseason conditioning tests, 5-foot-6, 186-pound running back Jacob Gutierrez is among the strongest Sooners.

Guiterrez's 430-pound bench press tied that of 6-5, 260-pound defensive end John Williams for best on the team. Jenks freshman Chase Beeler joined tight end Joe Jon Finley, defensive tackle DeMarcus Granger and linebacker Rufus Alexander at 420.

Defensive tackle Cory Bennett turned in the strongest power clean on the team at 430 pounds. In fact,

Bennett was the only Sooner on the team to eclipse 375.

Adrian Peterson ran the fastest 40-yard dash at 4.37 seconds. Paul Thompson clocked the fastest time among quarterbacks at 4.58.

Peterson's 39-inch vertical jump also topped the team.

Receiving end: Cornerback Reggie Smith may not be the only Sooner to make a surprise appearance at wide receiver against UAB. Coaches have praised freshman wideouts Adron Tennell and Brandon Caleb throughout much of preseason camp, and it's clear both are pushing OU's second string to get on the field.

"They seem to catch everything with their hands, which is good to see from young receivers," Thompson said after practice Wednesday. "And they're definitely making plays out there."

Still looking: Scratch Texas State from the list of suitors for Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn, the two Sooners dismissed from the team earlier this month for their NCAA extra-benefit violations.

"They're great kids who just got some bad advice," Texas State coach David Bailiff told the Austin American-Statesman this week. "It was a crime of stupidity. It just came down to the fact that we have great chemistry here."

Bailiff said he spoke with Bomar and Quinn prior to making his decision.

The two players could have played at the Division I-AA school this season, provided their eligibility had been reinstated by the NCAA. Should they transfer to another Division I-A program, they would have to sit out the 2006 season.

They also face possible individual penalties when the NCAA rules on their case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read other stories about OU football and the OU blog by World beat writers John Hoover and Guerin Emig at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 10:49 AM
...the post-Simms Applewhite when Major looked like a head case after Davis and Brown had screwed him over?
Just curious, is that similar to how Stoops screwed Paul Thompson over?

As far as McCoy, I think you'll be very surprised how good he is. Mack wouldn't call him a "more athletic Applewhite" if he didn't have the goods.

Partial Qualifier
8/25/2006, 11:27 AM
That's right. Because Mack Brown is famous for his tell-it-like-it-is approach.

TexasLidig8r
8/25/2006, 11:37 AM
I've read where a lot of UT fans are comparing Colt McCoy to Major Applewhite. Now is that comparison to the pre-Chris Simms Applewhite or a comparison to the post-Simms Applewhite when Major looked like a head case after Davis and Brown had screwed him over?

And if McCoy is firing on all cylinders doesn't that beg the question of whether there's a problem with UT's defense or at least the depth since McCoy is going against the second team D?

I think the UT fans are going to be in for a huge shock at the drop-off in performance at the QB position. With the high expectations in place it could get ugly for the 2 freshmen QB's this year since UT fans, even more than OU fans, are known to eat their own when things don't go well.

For anyone to compare McCoy to any other quarterback is naive. The reason? He hasn't played yet! Playing in practice is one thing.. playing in a game where 85,000 and a national television audience is looking on is something completely different.

Will there be a drop off at QB? Of course there is. Despite the constant bashing of Vince on this board, last year, Vince transcended the game. You don't replace someone like Vince and not expect a drop off.

And as Sooner fans saw last year.. freshman QBs make mistakes.

We shall see how the year unfolds.

Oh.. as for Major looking like a head case... the last game Major played in.. he set the UT record for most passing yards in a bowl game... 473 yards and 4 touchdowns on 37 of 55 passing.

olevetonahill
8/25/2006, 11:38 AM

As far as McCoy, I think you'll be very surprised how good he is. Mack wouldn't call him a "more athletic Applewhite" if he didn't have the goods.
Thats prolly cause clapper thinks lilponey mccoys *** is firmer !
go away :texan: ya bother us Sooners

Jason White's Third Knee
8/25/2006, 11:39 AM
For anyone to compare McCoy to any other quarterback is naive. The reason? He hasn't played yet! Playing in practice is one thing.. playing in a game where 85,000 and a national television audience is looking on is something completely different.

Yeah, but they are both ugly ****ing redheads. There. I compared them.

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2006, 11:50 AM
Colt McCoy theme song (http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/therealmccoystv.wav)

olevetonahill
8/25/2006, 11:53 AM
Colt McCoy theme song (http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/therealmccoystv.wav)
:D :D :D :D :D

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2006, 11:56 AM
:D :D :D :D :DOnly you and I are old enough to remember that.:O

Octavian
8/25/2006, 11:57 AM

They do have the luxury of playing behind a veteran OL.

It woulda been easier for the freshmen if their most versatile RB would've ditched the brick of pot in his car before the calling the cops on....himself.

Yeah, S. Young and Charles will be tear up the Okie Lite defenses of the world, but they're gonna miss Ramonce a lot against tOSU, us, and Nebraska.

If Mack-Davis play a QB merry-go-around w/ their pups in the second game of the season against Jim Tressel, I just don't like their chances.

Octavian
8/25/2006, 12:06 PM

no.

Stoops looked at the offense we were running, the amount of time both QBs had to progress and assessed that starting the younger one better fit the offense and gave him a 4-year starter.

He made the decision and stuck w/ it. That's not "screwing someone over," that's being decisive and leading your program.

Mack and GD seemed painfully lost as they rotated Major and Chrissy for a couple years and their newest decision always seemed to be surpassed in ineptitude only by their next decision.

FaninAma
8/25/2006, 12:13 PM

Will there be a drop off at QB? Of course there is. Despite the constant bashing of Vince on this board, last year, Vince transcended the game. You don't replace someone like Vince and not expect a drop off.

And as Sooner fans saw last year.. freshman QBs make mistakes.

We shall see how the year unfolds.

Oh.. as for Major looking like a head case... the last game Major played in.. he set the UT record for most passing yards in a bowl game... 473 yards and 4 touchdowns on 37 of 55 passing.

I don't think Applewhite was the same QB after the 1999 season. Most of that , IMO, was the total screw job he got by the coaches to make room for Simms. Of course the 63-14 depantsing UT got in 2000 might have played a role, too. To his credit he did come back to make Mack look like an idiot by playing well in the Big 12 CCG and the bowl game against UW.

Herr, OU has most definitiely screwed the pooch in regards to the QB personnel decisions. PT should have never been a QB contender under Chuck Long's system. Hopefully he will do better under Wilson. That remains to be seen, however. At least most Sooner fans, unlike UT fans, are realistic about our QB situation.

Plus, while some of OU's problems can be laid at the coaches' feet, some are due to poor decisions by the players, eg. Bomar's bne-headed conduct and Grady's decision to transfer. I don't recall UT coaches having to deal with the same issues. All of their problems were self-inflicted until they finally decided to stick with VY. Now we will see if the QB circus we saw from 2000 until 2003 (4 years) will make a reappearance in Austin. It should be fun.:pop:

olevetonahill
8/25/2006, 12:18 PM
Only you and I are old enough to remember that.:O
Damn ya , you had to remind me of how old I am :mad:
That and the nurse coming by to give me my meds :D

OUmillenium
8/25/2006, 12:26 PM
Only you and I are old enough to remember that.:O
Hey I watched in syndication as a kid...Walter Brennan & Richard Crenna (Col Trautman)

OK2LA
8/25/2006, 12:34 PM
I think tejas will be better than many on this board think, and I DON'T think they'll be quite as good as many think on hasafans.com site. The simple fact remains that both of these guys are FRESHMAN QB's. Both will struggle a bit, if not more, but don't discount them totally. It is very possible for 1 or both of them to do pretty well. tejas does have one hellova o'line, and a pretty strong d. (let's not kid ourselves) Just as many are touting us to do well, with our D keeping us in games, and the qb not making many mistakes. Guess what - this could be the case with the shorhorns as well. (let's not forget a team in 2001 that was the defending national champion losing it's wunderkid of a qb, and many starters on defense - they just about came back for a repeat . . . )

BELIEVE ME - I hope that tejas sucks the big one this year, but I don't see them falling that far - that being said - I don't see them having the talent to get them back to the nc game.

OUr game with them will be TOUGH - the days of the 65-13 route are just that - history.

Let's not turn into myopic OU fans - it's unbecoming of us and our proud history and tradition.

I prefer cautious optimism . . . :cool:

GDC
8/25/2006, 12:39 PM
Man, I wish I truly believed I was a ****ing genius in every ****ing topic that ever comes up.:texan: :twinkies:

BASSooner
8/25/2006, 12:41 PM
I think tejas will be better than many on this board think, and I DON'T think they'll be quite as good as many think on hasafans.com site. The simple fact remains that both of these guys are FRESHMAN QB's. Both will struggle a bit, if not more, but don't discount them totally. It is very possible for 1 or both of them to do pretty well. tejas does have one hellova o'line, and a pretty strong d. (let's not kid ourselves) Just as many are touting us to do well, with our D keeping us in games, and the qb not making many mistakes. Guess what - this could be the case with the shorhorns as well. (let's not forget a team in 2001 that was the defending national champion losing it's wunderkid of a qb, and many starters on defense - they just about came back for a repeat . . . )

BELIEVE ME - I hope that tejas sucks the big one this year, but I don't see them falling that far - that being said - I don't see them having the talent to get them back to the nc game.

OUr game with them will be TOUGH - the days of the 65-13 route are just that - history.

Let's not turn into myopic OU fans - it's unbecoming of us and our proud history and tradition.

I prefer cautious optimism . . . :cool:
But hybl wasn't a freshman and he had experience playing at UGA

FaninAma
8/25/2006, 12:45 PM
But hybl wasn't a freshman and he had experience playing at UGA

And Texas' defense this year isn't nearly as stout as the Sooner defense of 2001.....not even in the same ballpark.

OK2LA
8/25/2006, 12:53 PM
Man, I wish I truly believed I was a ****ing genius in every ****ing topic that ever comes up.:texan: :twinkies:

Hehe . . . that was cute

GDC
8/25/2006, 12:54 PM
Hehe . . . that was cute

That was for the omnipresent :texan:

OK2LA
8/25/2006, 01:06 PM
And Texas' defense this year isn't nearly as stout as the Sooner defense of 2001.....not even in the same ballpark.

Good point - I'd agree with that.

In regards to Hybl though - just because you have game time experience, doesn't make you a better qb than a freshman with none. (it is more logical, and probably most likely, but doesn't make it true.) IMHO.:O

fwsooner22
8/25/2006, 01:13 PM
Good point - I'd agree with that.

In regards to Hybl though - just because you have game time experience, doesn't make you a better qb than a freshman with none. (it is more logical, and probably most likely, but doesn't make it true.) IMHO.:O

With all due respect..........this is THE Soonerfans board.........nothing here is logical, likely or true.......

If you want a true freshman over an experienced QB I don't think you are as smart as you think you are.........that's probably likely but not neccesarily true.........

TexasLidig8r
8/25/2006, 02:34 PM
That was for the omnipresent :texan:

I'm sure you meant omniscient :texan: .

JohnnyMack
8/25/2006, 03:15 PM
Here's my take on Saxet's offense for this year. It goes back to October 9, 2004. When Vince Young, Cedric Benson and a very talented offense got shut the **** out at the Cotton Bowl. I think it was at that point that Mack and Greg realized something wasn't working quite right with the development of VY. It was like there was all this potential bubbling right under the surface that just needed to be unleashed. If they could only figure out a way for VY to truly flourish in this offense. Then a light bulb (a dim watt one no doubt) went off above Greg Davis' head. What if instead of having the VY run the offense, what if we run the offense through Vince? How would that work out for us? If we just totally turned him loose and let him make or break us?

Fast forward to January 4, 2006. Saxet has just taken down SUC and won a MNC having won their 21st straight game. With a revamped offense that involves VY doing pretty much whatever he wants to pretty much whoever he wants. He's emerged as one of the truly great talents in all of college football. All of this has been accomplished once Mack Brown stopped coaching him and allowed Vince to loosen up and just play football.

On to today. Saxet returns 7 starters from its MNC winning offense. But obviously VY isn't among those 7 starters. So although Saxet has an experienced offensive line, a talented group of running backs and some gifted wide receivers, what they also have is a huge problem. Not the lack of Vince Young, but the fact that this year Greg Davis is going to have to coach again.

GDC
8/25/2006, 03:36 PM
I'm sure you meant omniscient :texan: .

You would be wrong, but thanks for playing.

Source: WordNet (r) 1.7

omnipresent
adj : being present everywhere at once [syn: ubiquitous]

footballfanatic
8/25/2006, 03:38 PM
no.

Stoops looked at the offense we were running, the amount of time both QBs had to progress and assessed that starting the younger one better fit the offense and gave him a 4-year starter.

He made the decision and stuck w/ it. That's not "screwing someone over," that's being decisive and leading your program.

Mack and GD seemed painfully lost as they rotated Major and Chrissy for a couple years and their newest decision always seemed to be surpassed in ineptitude only by their next decision.

How on earth is pulling someone for the SEASON after letting them play ONE HALF not screwing them over?

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 03:42 PM
...this year Greg Davis is going to have to coach again.
Should be interesting to see if we can move the ball on the Suckeyes and the Sooners this season. If not, watch for all the Longhorn fan howler monkeys to be back in full force calling for his head again.

couchman
8/25/2006, 03:54 PM
...Greg Davis is going to have to coach again.

That's the big question mark for Texas this year. No doubt about it.

The Horns will have a stout defense, solid special teams, and lots of questions about how the offense will work.

There is plenty of talent at every offensive position.

Herr Scholz
8/25/2006, 04:05 PM
Where ya been, Couchman? Haven't seen you in years. :D

wishbonesooner
8/25/2006, 04:30 PM
"Hey I watched in syndication as a kid...Walter Brennan & Richard Crenna (Col Trautman"
Don't forget Pepino

I thought VY was always special. It's just that Mack finally got out of his way and quit trying to coach him, and just let him play.
Hey couch, long time no see.

47straight
8/25/2006, 04:58 PM
We'll see how One-of-Three McCoy compares to Major Applewhite by the number of swings he takes at OU Rufneks and/or cheerleaders at the shootout this year.