PDA

View Full Version : Google Sidebar, Yahoo Widgets, or Desktop Sidebar

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2006, 09:54 PM
Which of these would you all advise using?

Ike
8/25/2006, 10:01 AM
I'd recommend using firefox. It has a builtin configurable search bar.

OCUDad
8/25/2006, 10:44 AM
I'd recommend using firefox. It has a builtin configurable search bar.Firefox addresses sidebar issues, but it's apples and oranges when talking about Widgets.

Widgets can be useful -- I use them for things like battery monitor, disk free space monitor, wireless status, and a few other things. Just be careful, as many widgets are end-user-developed. Some of them are kind of bug-ridden. Widgets are free - doesn't hurt to try them.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/25/2006, 10:58 AM
Since Opera added the ad-blocking ability to their browser (and made their browser free), I've been using it more and more.

They've also got a ton of widgets available and they're easier to write than are Yahoo's. Give it a try. I'd love to have Opera get more market share. It's a great browser to develop for.

Partial Qualifier
8/25/2006, 11:00 AM
MS Vista has built-in widget support. It's funny how Vista has built-in widgets, desktop UI looks alot like redhat or mandrake, etc.

innovation! :rolleyes:

Ike
8/25/2006, 11:00 AM
Firefox addresses sidebar issues, but it's apples and oranges when talking about Widgets.

Widgets can be useful -- I use them for things like battery monitor, disk free space monitor, wireless status, and a few other things. Just be careful, as many widgets are end-user-developed. Some of them are kind of bug-ridden. Widgets are free - doesn't hurt to try them.

Oh...I just use sysmetrix for all my system monitoring needs.

and if I need something more, I usually just write a little python GUI for it...

Paperclip
8/25/2006, 11:03 AM
OCUDad promoting Yahoo!. Color me surprised.

:)

NormanPride
8/25/2006, 11:42 AM
MS Vista has built-in widget support. It's funny how Vista has built-in widgets, desktop UI looks alot like redhat or mandrake, etc.

innovation! :rolleyes:

Nothing funny about it. When has windows EVER innovated?

OCUDad
8/25/2006, 11:46 AM
OCUDad promoting Yahoo!. Color me surprised.

:):D

OCUDad
8/25/2006, 11:50 AM
Oh...I just use sysmetrix for all my system monitoring needs.

and if I need something more, I usually just write a little python GUI for it...Excuse me, Einstein, but not all of us are flaming nerds who write Python apps in our spare time. :D

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2006, 03:35 AM
I tried various products and finally settled on RocketDock. It's exactly what I was looking for.

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2006, 06:04 AM
I finally got my desktop and computer looking and running exactly how I want it to. I've never been totally satisfied, but now I think I'm finally content with things.

Here's a screen shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/Desktop2.jpg

Ike
8/28/2006, 08:41 AM
funny...that looks a lot like KDE.

hurricane'bone
8/28/2006, 08:44 AM
I think it looks a lot like a mac

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/28/2006, 08:53 AM
I think it looks like you're using a ton of ram with nothing even running.

OCUDad
8/28/2006, 09:59 AM
Actually, it looks like crap. A lot of screen real estate to get something you could have gotten with built-in QuickLaunch.

NormanPride
8/28/2006, 11:33 AM
I think it looks like you're using a ton of ram with nothing even running.

Bingo.

SicEmBaylor
8/28/2006, 05:33 PM
The only thing that takes up any space is the Dock which just 23k. The rest of it, I believe, modified and replaced existing files and shell structure.

BudSooner
8/28/2006, 07:48 PM
funny...that looks a lot like KDE.

Sure does.

Beano's Fourth Chin
8/28/2006, 08:59 PM
The only thing that takes up any space is the Dock which just 23k. The rest of it, I believe, modified and replaced existing files and shell structure.

That's not too bad. My file indexing search program takes up more than that.

mrowl
8/28/2006, 09:04 PM
do you think I can put money on the release after vista looking exactly like mac leopard?

afs
8/28/2006, 09:11 PM
why don't you just buy a mac if you like the look of them?

the sooner geek
8/28/2006, 09:19 PM
My next computer is definitely going to be a Mac. I bought one for the wife and I use it more than she does.

I used to have a Mac II in my former life as a musician. After 8-9 years with PCs, I am wondering why I ever left. I use mostly Linux at work, these days.

I think it would be nice if I could rid myself of all things M$.

(Start violent flame war...NOW!)