PDA

View Full Version : [shakes head]

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 04:59 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0824asukeller0824.html

Mike Keller, Sam's father, estimated that he received 10 phone calls Wednesday lobbying for Oklahoma over Nebraska with half of those from Sooners coach Bob Stoops.

if true, and this is a quote from a parent so it could be overblown, but i count 3 recruiting violations.

pgagolfpro77
8/24/2006, 05:01 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0824asukeller0824.html

if true, and this is a quote from a parent so it could be overblown, but i count 3 recruiting violations.

Do the same rules apply if the player is already in college?

I dont think stoops would knowingly commit violations at this point (or any point for that matter).

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 05:03 PM
I might think he's exaggerating just a tad.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 05:06 PM
yep. some of the violations are a matter of timing and might not be anything. the rule on transfers is you can't initiate a phone call to them until after they have officially withdrawn from the university. the process on this is to normally ask for permission from the school so that they can guarantee they have indeed withdrawn. the player of course can call you whenever he wants.

there is a maximum number of times that you can call in a week and the head coach is only allowed 1 call per recruit per week. of course, if they never talked to sam, they could technically not be considered contacts but are seriously skirting the line - not good with our history of phone calls.

mrowl
8/24/2006, 05:10 PM
I didn't realize that parents were included.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 05:10 PM
I might think he's exaggerating just a tad.

i agree, but stoops is still only allowed 1 phone call. the NCAA doesn't give a crap if its you dialing the wrong number, you'll get busted for it.

to be honest, i'm more concerned about us going out to get a 1 year hired gun. that does not speak well of their efforts recruiting QBs thus far.

NormanPride
8/24/2006, 05:11 PM
I prefer to go to my happy place and ignore this whole thing.

Later, I can develop a complex and blame OU. :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 05:12 PM
I didn't realize that parents were included.

technically they aren't, but that didn't stop them from busting neweasel on it. the NCAA seems to change the view on their bylaws to whatever fits the occasion...

caphorns
8/24/2006, 05:15 PM
Why is he leaving ASU?

NormanPride
8/24/2006, 05:17 PM
Why is he leaving ASU?

Because he's a dick and his teammates went and begged the coach to start the other guy.

douxpaysan
8/24/2006, 06:20 PM
Why is he leaving ASU?
Falsifying summer work-out records. ie. claiming to work-out when he wasn't...sort of like claiming to work at a car dealer when you weren't. Not a good leadership model.http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Images/ImageManager/Fraud.jpg

Quack 10
8/24/2006, 06:25 PM
Because he's a dick

True that!

douxpaysan
8/24/2006, 06:39 PM
Falsifying summer work-out records. ie. claiming to work-out when he wasn't...sort of like claiming to work at a car dealer when you weren't. Not a good leadership model.http://www.ci.medford.or.us/Images/ImageManager/Fraud.jpg
Hey...this means that Texas State is way ahead of the Nebbish.:pop:

Harry Beanbag
8/24/2006, 06:58 PM
Well, yesterday he was no longer enrolled at ASU, so it shouldn't have been a problem to call at that time.

FaninAma
8/24/2006, 08:04 PM
Arizona State head coach Dick Koetter released Keller from his scholarship 3 days ago.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 08:06 PM
If Bob Stoops' secretary calls someone for Bob Stoops with the intention of putting Bob Stoops on the line once that someone answers, does that count as a call Bob Stoops made?

Soonerus
8/24/2006, 08:19 PM
Keller is NOT a big catch for anybody...Stoops would never spend that much effort on B/C level QB....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 10:29 PM
If Bob Stoops' secretary calls someone for Bob Stoops with the intention of putting Bob Stoops on the line once that someone answers, does that count as a call Bob Stoops made?

that would be an NCAA violation because only full time coaches are allowed to call recruits

badger
8/25/2006, 12:41 AM
okay, so how much you wanna bet that the half calls came from a different coach stoops?

as in... MIKE Stoops?

or even Mark, for that matter.

Anybody that hates ASU is welcome as a Wildcat!

GottaHavePride
8/25/2006, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking there's no way in hell ASU would grant permission for him to transfer to an in-state, in-conference rival.

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2006, 01:02 AM
If he was already released, he would not need permission. Once a release from a scholarship is granted, it's granted.

RedstickSooner
8/25/2006, 01:22 AM
i agree, but stoops is still only allowed 1 phone call. the NCAA doesn't give a crap if its you dialing the wrong number, you'll get busted for it.

to be honest, i'm more concerned about us going out to get a 1 year hired gun. that does not speak well of their efforts recruiting QBs thus far.

I agree with JKM here - the main thing that'd bother me about Stoops getting involved is that it sorta implies he's *real* unhappy with our QB situation. Which'd mean he wasn't confident in Thompson.

Obviously Stoops would know the kid had caused trouble - he has access to the same news the rest of us do. Probably even better than that.

If Stoops, in spite of knowing the kid's history as a team cancer, still pursued the kid -- then that'd show something bordering on desperation as far as QB needs.

Considering that, technically, we have the same amount of depth at QB now as we did in the Spring, that desperation implies that he doesn't have faith in the QBs we have (in the Spring we had the same backups, the difference was that Thompson was a WR. With him moved to QB, the backups remain the same - we just have one fewer wideout)

badger
8/25/2006, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking there's no way in hell ASU would grant permission for him to transfer to an in-state, in-conference rival.
forgive me for trying to be funny... but it would make more sense for him to go to arizona, you must admit.

RedstickSooner
8/25/2006, 01:46 AM
Oh, and another thing - if the kid only has one year to play, how retarded does he have to be going to Nebbish?

I mean, c'mon - we're a national title contender that just lost our starting QB. If the kid really had *any* interest in being a big-time player, we would've been his first choice.

Octavian
8/25/2006, 02:11 AM
...the main thing that'd bother me about Stoops getting involved is that it sorta implies he's *real* unhappy with our QB situation. Which'd mean he wasn't confident in Thompson.

ole dude couldn't have played until '07.

Vaevictis
8/25/2006, 03:08 AM
If Stoops, in spite of knowing the kid's history as a team cancer, still pursued the kid -- then that'd show something bordering on desperation as far as QB needs.

Dude couldn't play here until next year in any case, yes?

We might just be desperate in '07.

Readyfor8
8/25/2006, 04:11 AM
Dude couldn't play here until next year in any case, yes?

We might just be desperate in '07.

I would rather have Bradford, or Halze play next year than this kid. He is an overhyped player, playing at an overhyped school, for an overhyped coach, with overhyped stats. In short, I don't think I care too much for him and I would rather have a 3 or 4 year starter from in state at the helm next season anyway, if the Defense can hold up a decent year for a young QB

Readyfor8
8/25/2006, 04:15 AM
This guy is right where he belongs anyways. If anyone needs cancer its Callenberger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2560445

BlackShirtBeast
8/25/2006, 06:00 AM
I would rather have Bradford, or Halze play next year than this kid. He is an overhyped player, playing at an overhyped school, for an overhyped coach, with overhyped stats. In short, I don't think I care too much for him and I would rather have a 3 or 4 year starter from in state at the helm next season anyway, if the Defense can hold up a decent year for a young QB

You dont know **** about this kid. Look at his stats from last year before he got hurt before you make a dumbass comment like that.

Sooner in Tampa
8/25/2006, 06:07 AM
You dont know **** about this kid. Look at his stats from last year before he got hurt before you make a dumbass comment like that.Dude...this guy has ISSUES...the team BEGGED for him NOT to be the starter.

You are getting sloppy seconds---enjoy.

BlackShirtBeast
8/25/2006, 06:17 AM
who in the hell said they BEGGED???

If thats the case i'll gladly take sloppy seconds than what you got--enjoy.

Harry Beanbag
8/25/2006, 06:38 AM
You dont know **** about this kid. Look at his stats from last year before he got hurt before you make a dumbass comment like that.

His stats were exactly the same as any Dirk Koetter QB, great against bad teams and average against good teams.

Partial Qualifier
8/25/2006, 06:39 AM
And we pretty much own Nebraska so take your little headcase outcast QB --enjoy.

Harry Beanbag
8/25/2006, 06:40 AM

The media.

BlackShirtBeast
8/25/2006, 06:49 AM
His stats were exactly the same as any Dirk Koetter QB, great against bad teams and average against good teams.

agan, look up his stats against the teams he played and then respond.

Partial Qualifier
8/25/2006, 06:54 AM
Dude don't come over here defending this deal. This kid had some skill but his own teammated tipped the coach off to some things... Koetter's back wasn't against a wall, so whatever got brought to light was enough for the coach to bench him and ultimately release him from scholarship, depsite his talent.

Now he's yours --enjoy

SoonerBorn68
8/25/2006, 06:56 AM
Black**** he's a perfect fit for your team.

Harry Beanbag
8/25/2006, 07:03 AM
agan, look up his stats against the teams he played and then respond.

I did genius. He had great games against Temple, Northwestern, and Oregon State. He also had a great game against LSU, which was Tigerbait's first game, changed to Tempe from Baton Rouge at the last minute, after the entire Katrina fiasco. He threw 5 INTs against a weak USC defense.

Sooner in Tampa
8/25/2006, 07:30 AM

If thats the case i'll gladly take sloppy seconds than what you got--enjoy.I expect nothing less from the bugeaters...they are becoming more and more like Aggies everyday.

zeke
8/25/2006, 07:45 AM
Because he's a dick and his teammates went and begged the coach to start the other guy.

If he is a Dick, he will fit in WELL at Neb

royalfan5
8/25/2006, 07:56 AM
If he is a Dick, he will fit in WELL at Neb
Our last two National Title winning QB's were renowed as dicks, so that seems to work well for us.

mrowl
8/25/2006, 08:38 AM
Our last two National Title winning QB's were renowed as dicks, so that seems to work well for us.

but at a time when your coach had some class.

Mjcpr
8/25/2006, 08:58 AM

I think when you're hung out to dry like we were by the Bomar dismissal, a one year hired gun isn't all that bad an idea considering we will be in sad QB shape this time next year unless Bradford or Halzle somehow gets a lot of playing time this year and proves to be a better player than expected.

Partial Qualifier
8/25/2006, 08:59 AM
I didn't think Tommie OR whats-his-face was a 'dick'. I thought they were cool guys

:confused:

Jason White's Third Knee
8/25/2006, 09:04 AM
Actually, 5 of those calls were me. Every time they asked who was calling, I couldn't think of anything to say but "Bob Stoops". Of course, then I would laugh hysterically, but I guess they didn't get that it was a gag.

Meat heads.

royalfan5
8/25/2006, 09:17 AM
but at a time when your coach had some class.
Sweet, being okay with thuggery is classy now? Awesome.

Sooner in Tampa
8/25/2006, 09:18 AM
Sweet, being okay with thuggery is classy now? Awesome.Who is okay with thuggery???

royalfan5
8/25/2006, 09:19 AM
I didn't think Tommie OR whats-his-face was a 'dick'. I thought they were cool guys

:confused:
Frazier is has pretty much destroyed my alma mater's football program by being a dick, and Scott Frost is real well liked either. Frost liked to get with other guy's ladies, which didn't help him when he was cowering in the corner while LP tossed that one girl down the stairs.

MiccoMacey
8/25/2006, 09:28 AM

Thus far....this year? Or thus far in Stoops' seven years.

'Cause in his seven years, he's raked in:

Heuple, a Heisman runner-up and leader of a NC team.
White, a Heisman winner and fourth place guy who led us to two NC games. Hybl, who despite what some think, did at least a decent QB-ing job.
Thompson, who has shown some great abilities minus the TCU game.
Bomar, who was the top-ranked QB coming out of HS.
Plus Bradford sounds like a gamer...I cant wait to see what he can do.

I'd say that's pretty successful right there.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/25/2006, 09:30 AM

White, a Heisman winner and fourth place guy who led us to two NC games. Hybl, who despite what some think, did at least a decent QB-ing job.
Thompson, who has shown some great abilities minus the TCU game.
Bomar, who was the top-ranked QB coming out of HS.
Plus Bradford sounds like a gamer...I cant wait to see what he can do.

I'd say that's pretty successful right there.

You forgot Brent Rawls, so take that biatches!

MiccoMacey
8/25/2006, 09:34 AM
You forgot Brent Rawls, so take that biatches!

Dang. You got me. :D

And Hunter Wall, and Noah Allen, and some others I'm sure.

But I'd say over all he's done better than 90-ish% of all coaches in the land not named Carroll in recruiting QBs.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/25/2006, 10:02 AM

White, a Heisman winner and fourth place guy who led us to two NC games.
Hybl, who despite what some think, did at least a decent QB-ing job.

i think this speaks volumes of the interest they were getting on the QB trail for this year.

you do realize that all of these guys were recruited last century, don't you? ;)

Sooner in Tampa
8/25/2006, 10:04 AM
i think this speaks volumes of the interest they were getting on the QB trail for this year.

you do realize that all of these guys were recruited last century, don't you? ;)Supposedly Stephen Garcia is interested...that would speak volumes for our program. He seems like a lock for the Gamecocks, but is willing to give us a look.

mrowl
8/25/2006, 10:32 AM
Sweet, being okay with thuggery is classy now? Awesome.

so you are saying Osborne and Solich are the same as Callahan?

MiccoMacey
8/25/2006, 10:32 AM
you do realize that all of these guys were recruited last century, don't you? ;)

Why do you hate old people?

KingDavid
8/25/2006, 10:37 AM
I prefer to go to my happy place and ignore this whole thing.:D

hmmm. i'm not going to ask where that might be.

royalfan5
8/25/2006, 12:05 PM
so you are saying Osborne and Solich are the same as Callahan?
I'm saying none are perfect, yet the first two caused more problems in Nebraska than Callahan has. Callahan isn't causing problems in Lincoln, but is ticking off other teams fans. I can live with that.

Flagstaffsooner
8/25/2006, 12:12 PM

You read the overhyped aSu rag aka THE ARIZONA REPUBPLIC too?;)

BlackShirtBeast
8/25/2006, 04:26 PM
Frazier is has pretty much destroyed my alma mater's football program by being a dick, and Scott Frost is real well liked either. Frost liked to get with other guy's ladies, which didn't help him when he was cowering in the corner while LP tossed that one girl down the stairs.

That was a LAME post with no facts.

BTW, LP left before Frost started playin:confused:

Readyfor8
8/25/2006, 04:34 PM

Wow you taking jabs at Nebraska fans now? Dude, name the last time Nebraska meant anything to anyone outside of the Children of the Corn. I'll give you a hint it was about 5 years ago.

Grow a pair and come back when you got hair on them...

JohnnyMack
8/25/2006, 04:46 PM

Would you have gone to OU if you were a 5 star QB knowing that Bomar was only a sophomore?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/25/2006, 04:55 PM
does that mean we can't find a roethlisburger or a leftwich or an alex smith or one of the myriad other great QBs that the recruiting experts miss?

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2006, 09:19 PM

LP left before Frost sat out his mandated year. One of the reasons he left was he beat up his girlfriend. Who was shacked up with Scott Frost.

Which doesn't really make Scott Frost a dick. It makes LP a woman-beating *******.

stoopified
8/26/2006, 09:44 AM
Personally.I think this is a crock.I can't see Stoops being intrested in this kid for obvious reasons(why swap one immature liar for another).If there were 10 calls from OU.I'm guessing that they were fans not coaches and certainly NOT the head ballcoach.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/26/2006, 09:56 AM
Any women dumb enough to date Lawrence Philips should be thrown down stairs or at the very least sterilized

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/26/2006, 10:20 AM
Personally.I think this is a crock.I can't see Stoops being intrested in this kid for obvious reasons(why swap one immature liar for another).If there were 10 calls from OU.I'm guessing that they were fans not coaches and certainly NOT the head ballcoach.

ugh, fans would be 10 violations

PDXsooner
8/26/2006, 10:51 AM
ugh, fans would be 10 violations

not if they aren't alums...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/26/2006, 04:19 PM
not if they aren't alums...

in recent years, that hasn't mattered at all. georgia fans raised money for a boise state family to go to the georgia game last year to see their son and the NCAA said that would be a violation.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/26/2006, 04:40 PM
in recent years, that hasn't mattered at all. georgia fans raised money for a boise state family to go to the georgia game last year to see their son and the NCAA said that would be a violation.

And that is why the NCAA is asshats...as soon as they said this, the very least they could have done wa open their wallet and pay for it themselves to solve the problem, it isn't like Georgia or the NCAA is in the red...Boise St...not quite as sure about them.

PDXsooner
8/26/2006, 05:19 PM

so what's preventing a bunch of OU fans raising some money or making some calls for a texas recruit and claiming to be "texas fans"?

it seems pretty gray.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/26/2006, 07:21 PM
their entire definition of booster is gray

GDC
8/27/2006, 11:38 AM
Stoops would welcome a QB flap these days
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
8/26/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Remember when a quarterback controversy was a dreaded topic at Oklahoma? Those were the days, my friends.

It used to be an annual pain in Bob Stoops' backside when everyone had an opinion about who OU's coach should select as his starter. Stoops undoubtedly would welcome a raging quarterback debate right now.

But those were the days when Stoops' quarterbacking stable was full of names like Jason White, Nate Hybl, Brent Rawls, Paul Thompson, Noah Allen, Tommy Grady and Rhett Bomar.

The last time Stoops went into a season with so little discussion on his No. 1 quarterback was 2000. No one doubted that Josh Heupel was the man, and he proved it by leading the Sooners to the national championship.

White even had his doubters after winning the Heisman Trophy as a junior in 2003. Those misguided critics questioned White's damaged knees and ripped him for his Sugar Bowl performance in the loss to LSU in the BCS national championship game.

The spring before White won the Heisman Trophy, some media members actually predicted Rawls would beat White out by the time the Sooners opened the season.

Rawls, once considered the Sooners' future, never played a game for OU. He quit the team that September, shortly after he

opened that fall's camp No. 4 on the depth chart behind White, Thompson and Allen.

As goofy as Rawls was, and he was goofy enough to put his life and career in danger by falling out of the back of a pickup truck, Stoops would probably welcome him back right now if he had any eligibility left.

That's how desperate the situation has become at OU. Bomar's dismissal earlier this month left the Sooners in dire straits for both the short and long terms.

That was evident again this week, although many missed it. It was overshadowed because OU officials released documents the school sent to the NCAA detailing the violations committed by Bomar and offensive guard J.D. Quinn.

While that 528-page document dominated the news, Stoops reportedly was furiously working behind the scenes to convince disenchanted Arizona State senior quarterback Sam Keller to transfer to OU.

In case you missed it, ASU coach Dirk Koetter announced a week ago Friday that Keller had beat out sophomore Rudy Carpenter. On Saturday, Koetter said he had made a mistake and was going to start Carpenter instead of Keller.

When Keller announced he wanted to transfer, it instantly set off a fierce behind-the-scenes recruiting battle. Even though Keller must sit out this season and would have only one year of eligibility remaining, he had plenty of offers.

Nebraska, Colorado, UTEP and Louisville all wanted Keller. Several others were interested, too, including OU.

Keller eventually selected Nebraska. But apparently not before Stoops made a spirited effort to beat out the Huskers for Keller's services.

Mike Keller, the quarterback's father, told The Arizona Republic his son received 10 telephone calls on Wednesday from people urging him to select the Sooners over the Huskers. Mike Keller said Stoops personally made half of those calls.

Only five, coach? I could joke about how many calls Kelvin Sampson would have made had he been in Stoops' position, but nobody in OU's athletic department is in the mood for jokes right now.

When Sam Keller held a press conference Thursday after arriving at Nebraska, he was asked about how hard OU had pursued him.

"They were a factor," Keller said of the Sooners. "They were serious. That felt good, too. But it just wasn't as good a fit as this place was."

We may never get Stoops' side of the story because "Big Game Bob," has suddenly become "Silent Stoops."

At a press conference to address the Bomar-Quinn scandal, Stoops talked at length about a situation that has rocked his program like none other. But shortly thereafter, he put severe limits on the media's access with his staff and players.

So although Stoops might not talk about Keller, his interest in a player who has just one season of eligibility remaining speaks volumes about the short- and long-term problems he faces because of Bomar's immature actions.

OU opens the season a week from this Saturday. Stoops must hope and pray Thompson finds a way to stay healthy and operate the offense efficiently the entire season. If Thompson goes down, well, let's don't even go there right now.

Keller obviously would have been an excellent stop-gap measure next season. A veteran quarterback would give the Sooners a chance to win immediately while they developed some younger players.

When Keller shunned the Sooners, the sense of urgency to recruit a junior college stud intensified. Stoops probably needs to sign a couple quarterbacks from the junior college ranks and two or three high school standouts.

Whatever it takes, Stoops must find a way to create a serious argument a year from now over who should start at quarterback from a group of quality players.

Yup, a good old-fashioned quarterback controversy. Those were the days, my friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read Dave Sittler's blog at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

badger
8/27/2006, 12:32 PM
it's crap like this that draws college coaches to the nfl