PDA

View Full Version : these people have their own language

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 01:21 PM
luckily, they have an internal urban dictionary for us non-MSN types...

this guy comes in and says he has a halover. uh, huh?

Halover
What you have on Monday morning after a weekend binge of playing Xbox Halo.

then about 10 minutes later they call someone a 404. a what?

Someone who's clueless. From the World Wide Web message "404, URL Not Found," meaning that the document you've tried to access can't be located. "Don't bother asking him...he's 404."

followed by someone agreeing he is a ID ten T. exsqueeze me?

ID10T Error
If a technical support issue turns out to be a user competency problem instead of a hardware or software problem, it is referred to as an "ID Ten T" error. Basically, this describes the user as an ID10T in a way they would never understand, and can be helpful when trying to describe the issue to another support person

then later, hurry the catering vultures are here

Catering Vultures
People who flock to an unattented catering site to pick through the remains of meeting food. These vultures are quite benevolent and reduce the amount of waste we produce.

norm would love this...

RacerX
8/24/2006, 01:28 PM
JKM - you're coming across like you're 50.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 01:32 PM
man, they have some good ones in here. i may be up for learning a new language...

Screensaver Face
The look on the face of a person so bored they have completely shut off their brain.

Seagull Manager
A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps over everything, and then leaves.

Shatner Moment
When a program has behavior characterized by abnormally long pauses, alternated with rapid-fire delivery of some of what you typed - when..........your typ.........ing comes..........in bursts, because your e-mail program..........is..........dying..........networ k..........slow.....can't..........contin......

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 01:34 PM
SITCOMs
What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of the parents stops working to stay home with the kids. Stands for Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.

we don't give out a lot of these on soonerfans...

Stupid Card
The ability for people new on a job to ask very basic questions without being looked down upon by their peers. Usually, Stupid Cards are only good for 2-3 weeks before people start to think that the asker might actually be a moron. Example: “Umm, do they really expect us to eat dog food?”

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/24/2006, 01:39 PM
Triority
The three things your boss wants you to do right now.

V8 shot
A detox for excessive caffeine intake. Produces high energy output for short periods of time due to the gag reflex of drinking V8.

Copy Protection
Spaying or neutering, such as, "Janet just had her cat copy-protected."

1stTimeCaller
8/24/2006, 01:39 PM
SITCOMs
What yuppies turn into when they have children and one of the parents stops working to stay home with the kids. Stands for Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage.

as opposed to the DINKY, Dual Income No Kids Yuppies

Norm In Norman
8/24/2006, 02:41 PM
We have a few here at work:

Worst case scenario - no matter what decisions are made here, they are always the wrong ones. So whenever we hear that some manager has made a stupid decision, we follow that by saying "worst case scenario." Usually we are the ones left to clean up after the decision is made.

Those damn college kids - once when our network was going pitifully slow, our network admin had the gall to blame the slowdown on college being back in session and they were using all the bandwidth. So now whenever something "unexplainable" happens that is probably someone else's fault, we yell "THOSE DAMN COLLEGE KIDS!"

Kenepic - This one guy named Kenneth always sends these huge emails that takes him hours to compile and nobody reads (because of the length), so whenever I send a long email I put "Kenepic" in the title.

I've got more, but I don't think they will catch on.

Norm In Norman
8/24/2006, 02:55 PM
What percent done are you? - My manager is big on what percent you are done with a project. Programmers hate that. My usual answer is 9 percent. Sometimes I just pick a number between 0 and 40. Anyway, now when someone says something about a project they are working on, we frequently ask them "What percent done are you?"

"Which top priority is my top priority?" - No matter how big or small the project is, my manager wants me to drop everything and do it immediately, even if I have to stop doing the previous project. So we are always asking this, or we refer to something as our "'#1' top priority."

IB4OU2
8/24/2006, 03:06 PM
We say "Luck of the Norm" here at work it replaces all of our Murphy's Law references. :D

Norm In Norman
8/24/2006, 03:13 PM
You work on the board?

Another one is generally any time someone asks what the password to something is, we reply with "ron". Once there was this guy who worked here named ron. He couldn't get into his outlook email because he password protected it and couldn't remember his password. After 2 days of people trying to get into his email, I got tired of it. I spent 30 minutes on google and found a .pst password cracker and ran it on his pst file. His password? "ron". He couldn't remember his own name. What an idiot.

Skysooner
8/24/2006, 04:10 PM
Seagull Manager
A manager who flies in, makes a lot of noise, craps over everything, and then leaves.

Our VP came in the other day with a priority project that sent several of the managers scurrying in different directions (thank goodness not me), and he referred to himself as a Seagull Manager, laughed and left.