PDA

View Full Version : Is conservative change an oxymoron?

royalfan5
8/24/2006, 12:21 PM
So the son of the founder of Ameritrade is running for senate up here. As far as I can tell his only platform is that he stands for conservative change( I have no idea what that is actually supposed to mean, Pete really isn't into specifics or tangible ideas) and that it's time to put the Republicans in charge of the senate. He is trailing in the polls by 2 to 1 margin to a Democrat in Nebraska(which is really hard to do in Nebraska if you're a Republican) I was just wondering if what he is running on sounds as stupid to other people as it does to me.

sanantoniosooner
8/24/2006, 12:22 PM
I can't speak for that politician, but the concept of a conservative change is plausible IMO.

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2006, 04:18 PM
It's absolutely plausible. Not for what I really consider to be a true-conservative, but it's definitely possible under the current and accepted concept of conservatism in America.

"Conservative change" sounds like to me a term to describe "big government conservatism" or using the means of government to achieve supposedly conservative ends.

Ike
8/24/2006, 04:22 PM
conservative change = going backward:P

:pop:

NormanPride
8/24/2006, 04:26 PM
It's absolutely plausible. Not for what I really consider to be a true-conservative, but it's definitely possible under the current and accepted concept of conservatism in America.

"Conservative change" sounds like to me a term to describe "big government conservatism" or using the means of government to achieve supposedly conservative ends.

Isn't that kind of against everything conservative? Or are you talking more about religious conservatives?

royalfan5
8/24/2006, 04:36 PM

He loves to brag about being a Regan Republican, and that didn't get us a smaller gov't and he is all about intruding in folks personal lives. However he is the first Republican I have ever seen not get the Right to Lifer's endorsement.

SicEmBaylor
8/24/2006, 04:46 PM
He loves to brag about being a Regan Republican, and that didn't get us a smaller gov't and he is all about intruding in folks personal lives. However he is the first Republican I have ever seen not get the Right to Lifer's endorsement.

Is he pro-choice or do they just not want to lose their clout with the incumbent?

royalfan5
8/24/2006, 04:50 PM
Is he pro-choice or do they just not want to lose their clout with the incumbent?
The incumbent is somewhat pro-choice and Pete is stock issue sanctity of life guy. I just think they sense that Pete is fraud like pretty much everyone else.