PDA

View Full Version : Talk about bad karma, age discrimination is just asking for it

Chuck Bao
8/24/2006, 10:14 AM
My company has a mandatory retirement age of 60. Who knew? Anyway, I didn’t before last month.

My colleague will have his 60th birthday next week.

According to my company’s HR, exceptions can be made if that person’s immediate boss (in this case, me) were to write a memo stating: 1) the employee does not wish to retire, 2) the employee still makes considerable contributions to the department and 3) replacing the employee would be difficult.

My colleague, in fact, does not wish to retire. And I did write that memo and clearly stated that he is a major asset to our team. He works hard and is always willing to work late nights and weekends. He is almost never sick and age shouldn’t be an issue.

I thought I had worked out a deal with the company CEO for a year-by-year contract. That is until today and the CEO calls me into his office to say that he has to go next week.

The mandatory retirement age is just an excuse to cut costs, or so it seems.

I tried to argue that people live longer these days and medical costs are expensive. Some people can’t afford to retire at 60.

I can’t abide by this and if my colleague is forced to leave, well I ain’t hanging around to turn 60. There is just so much bad karma baggage I can take on.

Does anyone else have a mandatory retirement age at work? Have any of you been forced to retire? Does anyone else hate a corporate culture that values profitability so much that the welfare of the individual employees is no longer a valid arguing point?

Skysooner
8/24/2006, 10:19 AM
I think you might have a case of age discrimination there. I believe they can't be forced to retire unless they are physically unable to perform the job.

yermom
8/24/2006, 11:36 AM
i don't think he is in the US though

sooner n houston
8/24/2006, 11:38 AM
I think you better just STFU and find another job. You don't want to jeapordize this mans retirement. They can still fire him if you/he make trouble for them, right?

yermom
8/24/2006, 11:40 AM
yeah, i think he was just going to pull a 1TC

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2006, 11:41 AM
I think Olevet should be forced to retire as social director of the Wister Sunny Lands Nudist Camp. He scares the hell out of the kids.

Hamhock
8/24/2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.hsdlaw.com/pages/RetirementAge.htm

can i be your lawyer?

1stTimeCaller
8/24/2006, 12:11 PM
I think old people should be rounded up and made to live in Utah.

LoyalFan
8/24/2006, 12:15 PM
I think old people should be rounded up and made to live in Utah.

Mmmmmmm...Polygamy! It's what's fer breakfast...and lunch...and dinner! (Not to mention occasional snacks.)

LF

sanantoniosooner
8/24/2006, 12:19 PM
more bad news.

the manditory retirement age for posting around here is 600 posts unless you get a note from Norm stating how vital you are.

Sooner_Bob
8/24/2006, 12:26 PM
That sounds like a tough spot to be in . . . forced retirement doesn't sound like it would ever be fun.

NormanPride
8/24/2006, 12:32 PM
The population keeps rising, and jobs aren't rising at a comparable rate... Add that to the fact that people live longer, and it can be tough for the younger kids to find jobs, sometimes. I know I was very fortunate to get mine, and a lot of my friends are still looking. :(

Not saying the old people need to go, just saying it's a tough situation. I feel for you, having to make the hard decision.

Oldnslo
8/24/2006, 03:00 PM
Sounds like an ADEA claim. Protected class is from 40-70. There are exceptions to the Act, however. I seem to recall a bunch of cases involving airline pilots, but I don't remember the rulings.

Skysooner
8/24/2006, 03:51 PM
i don't think he is in the US though

You are right. Fire away. Seriously though, just because someone is 60 doesn't mean they can't contribute. Some people are done at 60 while others are great until they are 80 or 90. It should be an individual decision and not a blanket rule.

Skysooner
8/24/2006, 03:53 PM
more bad news.

the manditory retirement age for posting around here is 600 posts unless you get a note from Norm stating how vital you are.

Really? Whose **** did you have to **** to get your dispensation? :twinkies:

yermom
8/24/2006, 03:53 PM
You are right. Fire away. Seriously though, just because someone is 60 doesn't mean they can't contribute. Some people are done at 60 while others are great until they are 80 or 90. It should be an individual decision and not a blanket rule.

sure, i'm just saying that laws here probably don't apply

i know plenty of people at like 45 that should probably be forced to retire ;)

Skysooner
8/24/2006, 03:57 PM
I was saying you were right. The laws here won't apply unless it is a corporation that has any sort of subsidiary or office in the USA.

Chuck Bao
8/24/2006, 04:22 PM
I think you better just STFU and find another job. You don't want to jeapordize this mans retirement. They can still fire him if you/he make trouble for them, right?

My colleague has been with my company only two years and 11 months, so his retirement package right now would consist of only three months worth of salary.

If he waits only one month and completes three years of employment, he would get six months worth of retirement. It seems so silly, but it is one of the reasons they want to get rid of him now.

He is an editor, so there is no significant physical requirement to the job. And, he's in better shape than I am.

Thanks for the link Hamhock. That was very interesting and informative. I had never before thought about the advantages of working in the US late in one's career.

My colleague says he's seeking advice from a lawyer. I hope he's successful, but I'm doubtful. Civil servants in Thailand are forced to retire at age 60 and nobody sues the Thai government over this issue.

This evening he asked me if I know of anyplace that's hiring. I stopped, looked at him and asked back: "no, do you?"