PDA

View Full Version : YouTube and music musings...

Half a Hundred
8/23/2006, 06:23 PM
So I was listening/watching Clapton play "Layla" at some recent concerts on YouTube, and you know, it just didn't hit me like the original did. There was something missing, be it Duane Allman or the longing for Patty Boyd. Be it either, the question that I ask is, have you ever seen a concert where it just didn't match up to the album version? Or is there a certain amount of time that the source material doesn't hit the artist like it once did so the performance is akin to "mailing it in"? Inquiring minds want to know. Given the "what are you listening to" threads, I hope there are plenty of experiences to contribute!

:)

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 10:34 PM
Personally, the "Layla" that Clapton played on the MTV Unplugged album was pretty good.

Another song that comes to mind is Paul McCartney and Wings' "Maybe I'm Amazed." Both the original and live recordings are played on the radio. The original is much more superior; the live version is too slow and clunky.

proud gonzo
8/23/2006, 11:44 PM
some artists are better when they're live and playing off the audience's energy. some are better when they're in a studio and polished

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 11:56 PM
some artists are better when they're live and playing off the audience's energy. some are better when they're in a studio and polished
Peter Frampton being a perfect example. Although the studio recordings of the songs he made famous on his "live" album are underrated.

proud gonzo
8/23/2006, 11:57 PM
also Tower of Power--live recordings are much better.

joex2
8/24/2006, 02:27 AM
I tried to find the video on YouTube, but it had been removed at the request of NBC. heh, guess I better not share that one.

Anyway, Queens of the Stone Age went up a few notches in my book when they performed "Little Sister" on SNL and had Will Ferrell "explore the space" with more cowbell. Unbelievably hillarious!

Good to see a band that doesn't take themselves too seriously!

The
8/24/2006, 08:51 AM
GWAR is much better live.
Albums and music are succ, but their live show is :eek:

Skysooner
8/24/2006, 08:53 AM
REO Speedwagon has left me cold in concert twice. Styx was always great. The one that really stands out for me was Def Leppard. They were horrible in concert.

tbl
8/24/2006, 08:53 AM
Personally I've always hated Layla.... It just never has set right with me.

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2006, 09:02 AM
Concerts and live performances in big arenas for the most part are a tremendous *** whip. Inevitably, you have some late teenaged little girl close by, drunk off her ***.. screaming repeatedly at the stage... you're surrounded by the great unwashed... the sound is nowhere near the quality of the studio version.. when you go home, you reak of smoke and sweat...

There's a lot to be said for studio quality sound.

If you want the crowd feel... go to a sporting event.

GDC
8/24/2006, 09:46 AM
Eric Clapton is tremendously overrated by others and impressed with himself, maybe that has something to do with it.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 09:48 AM
Anything Dave Matthews has done since he got off drugs.

GDC
8/24/2006, 09:50 AM
The Cars suck worse live relative to their records than any artist I have ever experienced. The suckage they exhibited live was beyond description.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 09:55 AM
The Cars suck worse live relative to their records than any artist I have ever experienced. The suckage they exhibited live was beyond description.

Cars story!

I peed next to Ric Ocasik. I was in an airport (I forget which one) and I notice this hot chick standing out front of the Men's room signing a few autographs. I knew she was someone famous, but I didn't know who it was. I went into the bathroom to take a leak and there's this really weird looking d00d next to me. It was Ric Ocasik. Did I spell his name right? Oh and the chick was Paulina Porizkova (or however the hell you spell it).

BigRedJed
8/24/2006, 10:06 AM
Holy crap. I was going to post the same thing. The Cars were incredible in the studio, and one of my favorite bands at one time. I saw them around 1987 and was appalled at the suckage. I have seen, literally, HUNDREDS of concerts. Big, small, classic rock, "alternative," indie, country, jazz, from acousic sets in record stores and small club shows to 100,000 attendee stadium shows, and the Cars were by far the worst live translators of their own studio work.