PDA

View Full Version : w00t for stem cell researchers

Ike
8/23/2006, 04:50 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2325877,00.html

apparently somebody finally figgered out a way to extract stem cells without harming the embryo...

I hope this pans out.

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 04:56 PM
This technology confuses and enrages me! Therefore I will vote against it! :texan:

Condescending Sooner
8/23/2006, 05:09 PM
Hey Etouffee, how many deaths has Bush caused by his veto now? Thousands? Millions?

SCOUT
8/23/2006, 05:26 PM
Now a team at Advanced Cell Technology - a private company
Interesting that this is a private company don't ya think?

Mongo
8/23/2006, 05:31 PM

dont bring that up, we are supposed to depend on the gubbint for this kind of stuff :rolleyes:

Ike
8/23/2006, 05:31 PM

Considering that federal funding for this kind of research (yes, even research to make the extraction process more ethical) has dried up, no its not that surprising.

Ike
8/23/2006, 05:36 PM
Considering that federal funding for this kind of research (yes, even research to make the extraction process more ethical) has dried up, no its not that surprising.

consider also that most research is not profit-driven. If it were, we probably wouldn't have a bunch of the cool technology that we do have. Companies typically only engage in research that has a high probability of delivering profits. In this case, providing a more ethical method of obtaining stem cells is certainly profit oriented research.

proud gonzo
8/23/2006, 06:50 PM
sweet

jk the sooner fan
8/23/2006, 07:40 PM
welllllllllllllllllllllll, the impossible becomes possible

very nice

OUstudent4life
8/23/2006, 08:40 PM
Like J Stewart said...look at all the pics of Bush surround by the "Snowflake" kids as a campaign against extensive stem cell research...when all those kids were able to be created because of extensive stem cell research.

If you are interested in all this kind of science, I highly suggest reading "The Clone Age"...I had it in a class at OU on Medical History/Ethics, and it's a very interesting read.

If this pans out, BIGTIME kudos to the people that did it.

BeetDigger
8/23/2006, 08:51 PM
To heck with this stem cell research stuff, find a damn cure for the common cold. :D

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2006, 09:42 PM
When people get into a discussion/debate on stem cell research then it would be very helpful to identify it was embryonic stem cell research so it doesn't get confused with perfectly ethical and fully funded research on adult stem cells, umbilical cord, etc.

OklahomaTuba
8/23/2006, 10:37 PM
Great news!

Ike
8/23/2006, 11:00 PM
When people get into a discussion/debate on stem cell research then it would be very helpful to identify it was embryonic stem cell research so it doesn't get confused with perfectly ethical and fully funded research on adult stem cells, umbilical cord, etc.

Theres really no need. Because so far, adult and umbilical cord stem cell research hasn't really produced much, nor does anyone believe it has the potential that embryonic stem cells have. Thus, when laypeople are referring to "stem cell research", it can pretty much be taken for granted that they are referring to embryonic stem cell research.