PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio question...

OUstudent4life
8/23/2006, 04:40 PM
Sirius or XM?

My wife wants a "portable" (read: use in the car, at home, and MAYBE otherwise) player for her birthday...any opinions on type, etc?

Thanks, and I'll take my question off the air :D.

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 04:54 PM
I believe XM has more stations. But Sirius has a cute doggie mascot!

mrowl
8/23/2006, 05:00 PM
depends on what she wants?

better playlists? sirius

baseball? xm

football? sirius

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 05:01 PM
depends on what she wants?

better playlists? sirius

baseball? xm

football? sirius

how dare you leave out nascar.

Jimminy Crimson
8/23/2006, 05:04 PM
...and MAYBE otherwise...

Go on... :texan:

nmsoonergirl
8/23/2006, 05:08 PM
I have a Sirius Sportster with the car adapter thing and with the boombox for inside. It works okay in the car, but I'd like to get a different receiver--it doesn't seem like the antenna works very well. I NEVER use the boombox thing inside--when you buy the subscription, you can listen to it online, which for me is easier than messing with the boombox. I like having satelite for road trips, but if I had it to do over again, I would just get one to play in the car.

mrowl
8/23/2006, 05:25 PM
how dare you leave out nascar.

because I don't qualify as a hillbilly... I am missing my liver and onions patch.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 02:06 PM
either way, you'll enjoy satellite radio. i've had XM for 2+ years now and will hardly listen to terrestrial radio anymore. i chose XM b/c my preference is baseball and, at the time, a lower monthly payment plan. then i went ahead and pre-paid for 5 years of XM to make it an even better dealio.

now with sirius, i did not bite on the NFL bait simply b/c i'm never in my car during sundays. after i get out of church, i head home and am around the house until 6pm. so there's no need for me to listen on satellite radio for all these games. but for someone who drives a lot on sundays, that might be a good option. plus that benefit only really is needed for sundays between noon and 6. i mean, you get the sunday night and monday night games on terrestrial radio at any time.

for me, i listen to baseball on XM radio almost every night.

but again, you'll enjoy it, no matter which service you choose.

Boarder
8/31/2006, 02:52 PM
I have XM but am switching to Sirius. The NFL thing, if I'm out, and the fact that NASCAR is switching. Yes, I realize I'm a redneck.

Also, XM dropped to "online and Directv only" thier cool Christian Music station, the Torch. Sirius has one like it. Sirius also has Hair Nation with Hari Band music which XM doesn't (the Boneyard is sort of one). They both have Chill music. They both have ESPN.

It's mainly for Jesus and NASCAR that I'm switching.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 04:01 PM
XM got rid of channel 31 a few months ago. Oh yeah, Boarder, you forgot to mention they replaced it with southern gospel. :) Now if they replaced it with a channel devoted to intra-denominational hymns, I wouldn't be as bothered.

Rogue
8/31/2006, 09:10 PM
I remember "knowing" that XM was owned by a Horn alum making it a moral no-no.

StoopTroup
8/31/2006, 09:25 PM
Sirius.

r5TPsooner
8/31/2006, 09:27 PM
Is there a monthly fee for either or just one time fees? I heard that XM is starting to have more ads than ever before as well?

SteelPanz
9/1/2006, 01:43 AM
they're both monthly. i mean, you can pay up front for x years of service, but neither are just a one-time