PDA

View Full Version : Will OU get the BCS points to play for a championship?

HoustonStephen
8/23/2006, 03:39 PM
Suppose for a second PT & AD can guide our team to a perfect season. (Not saying it can't happen, as I liken this season to 2000). Would we be able to get the votes to actually make it to the title game? I really think we will be overlooked, even if undefeated due to the media trashing us over the Bomar-Quinn debacle. Additionally, we failed to bring home the crystal in 2003 & 2004, our showing in the orange bowl cold deter voters at the end of the season.

How I see it, OU could actually go undefeated and still be a #3-#5 in the standings. There are many "media darling" programs that could lose 1 game and still be ranked ahead of us. Notably, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida, & Florida State.

Does anyone else share these concerns?

Boomer Sooner!

Jack T.
8/23/2006, 03:44 PM
Yup. Last year we would have had to beat everybody by about 50 to get a shot at the NC. . .

This year I figure if we beat everybody by 25 we *might* get the votes. At least the computers have to rank us properly.

mrowl
8/23/2006, 03:46 PM
nope. If we are good enough to get there, the Big 12 Championship Championship, and an undefeated season will put us in the MNC in Glendale

fadada1
8/23/2006, 03:47 PM
SOS may get us if we do go undefeated. but, if the domers lose 2-3 games (which they will) and they are ranked ahead of any unbeaten team, there may be some serious problems - especially because they play three 1AA teams in the middle of their schedule.

fsu loses at least 2, florida is a toss up (being in the sec), but ohio state looks good - don't see them losing anyway.

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 03:47 PM
This year is so wide open that I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an undefeated team. Maybe one of the mid-major teams, but who really believes they're any good?

Really, I could see us losing to Oregon and still being in the thick of it. Think: A loss to Oregon, Texas beats tOSU, we beat Texas, ND drops like a freaking stone after their fraud program is revealed for what it is... and the NC race becomes very interesting.

OklahomaTuba
8/23/2006, 03:52 PM
Why in the hell is anyone worried about BCS point now??!??

yermom
8/23/2006, 03:52 PM
the way the coaches and AP vote, i think the only way we are 13-0 and not in #1 or #2 in the BCS is if there are 2 other teams undefeated that started above us

HoustonStephen
8/23/2006, 04:09 PM

Plenty of people concerned about OU possibly winning a national championship in other threads, just pointing out that the Sooners have to impress the voters to make sure they make it to the game.

sooner n houston
8/23/2006, 04:21 PM
the way the coaches and AP vote, i think the only way we are 13-0 and not in #1 or #2 in the BCS is if there are 2 other teams undefeated that started above us

AP does not count in the BCS anymore!

fadada1
8/23/2006, 04:25 PM
alabama is DOOMED!!!!!

there's no way they get the championship this year.

KC//CRIMSON
8/23/2006, 04:27 PM
OU is not going undefeated this year, and even if they do they would have to pile on the points against the really good teams to get the votes.

yermom
8/23/2006, 04:29 PM

oh yeah

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 04:29 PM

Offseason. It's always darkest before sunrise. ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
8/23/2006, 05:20 PM
Offseason. It's always darkest before sunrise. ;)

Yep, offseason. We get bored, these topics help pass the time. We're not players/coaches, we are allowed to look past the first game.

Spray
8/23/2006, 05:35 PM
Uhhh- If we are undefeated after Conference Championship games, there will be no 1 loss teams ranked ahead of us. If you believe otherwise, you're smoking conspiracy crack.

snp
8/23/2006, 05:39 PM
Uhhh- If we are undefeated after Conference Championship games, there will be no 1 loss teams ranked ahead of us. If you believe otherwise, you're smoking conspiracy crack.

Yup. Another stupid thread wasting bandwith. Just like this post.

Pride Baritone
8/23/2006, 06:55 PM
Isn't this the year they start with the "and 1" system? For example, if two undefeated teams play in the "National Title Game" and we are undefeated and win our bowl game, then we would play the winner of the title game for the crystal ball? I swear I heard this somewhere, but maybe it was just a dream. Help?

Blue
8/23/2006, 07:08 PM
Isn't this the year they start with the "and 1" system? For example, if two undefeated teams play in the "National Title Game" and we are undefeated and win our bowl game, then we would play the winner of the title game for the crystal ball? I swear I heard this somewhere, but maybe it was just a dream. Help?

Umm, no.

They have a fifth BCS game this year. That's it.

yermom
8/23/2006, 07:13 PM
yeah, this year there is a Fiesta Bowl then a week later the BCS Championship Game is played in the same stadium in Glendale, AZ

it looked nice as we drove by it in December...

Statalyzer
8/23/2006, 10:59 PM

Correct except replace "AP" with "Harris interactive Poll"