PDA

View Full Version : Keller enrolls at NU

pgagolfpro77
8/23/2006, 12:05 PM
Damn it!!

Link (http://http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2558713)

pgagolfpro77
8/23/2006, 12:09 PM
Damn it!!

Link (http://http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2558713)

Former Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller has enrolled at the University of Nebraska, a spokeswoman in the registrar and records office at the school told ESPN's Joe Schad on Wednesday morning.

Keller is expected to redshirt at Nebraska this season and be eligible to play his final season next year, likely succeeding Zac Taylor as starting quarterback.

Blue Ribbon preview: Nebraska

When the decision was made to hire Bill Callahan at Nebraska in 2004, school administrators knew they were breaking the mold of traditional ground-oriented coaches. They knew Callahan would build -- or attempt to build -- a competent passing game through the West Coast offense.
They also knew that Callahan was not going to bring in a typical college football coach's personality either. While he takes care of all media and alumni functions and will do what he can to raise funds, Callahan does not have a Bobby Bowden-type personality. He is not the kind to regale listeners with humorous stories. Callahan is all business.

To read more of Blue Ribbon's preview of Nebraska's chances in 2006, click here.

Keller, who was named the Sun Devils' starting quarterback on Friday only to lose the job to sophomore Rudy Carpenter two days later, had also considered transferring to Louisville or UTEP, not Colorado or Oklahoma, as reported elsewhere, a source told Schad.

Mike Keller, the quarterback's father, is a former professional football player and knows Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. Keller would have one season of eligibility left.

Keller, who started seven games for Arizona State last season before breaking his thumb, would have to sit out this coming season under NCAA transfer rules if he decides to leave the Sun Devils for another Division I-A program. He would have one season of eligibility remaining in 2007.

Keller was one of the top-rated passers in Division I-A in 2005 before he was hurt, completing 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Carpenter rallied the Sun Devils to a 4-1 record in their last five games last season and was named MVP of Arizona State's 45-40 victory over Rutgers in the Insight Bowl. He led Division I-A in pass efficiency by completing 68 percent of his passes (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards with 17 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

The players were involved in one of the most intense position battles in college football during preseason camp. Koetter announced Keller would be the team's starting quarterback Friday, but then abruptly reversed his decision two days later after meeting with the school's athletic director and a group of team leaders.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's practice.

Keller, from Danville, Calif., would seem to be a perfect fit for Nebraska coach Bill Callahan's West Coast offense. Taylor is a senior, and highly regarded freshman Harrison Beck went AWOL during Nebraska's preseason camp and transferred to North Carolina State.

If Keller leaves Arizona State, the Sun Devils would have only one other scholarship quarterback on their roster: freshman Danny Sullivan

Widescreen
8/23/2006, 12:19 PM
We already have our 1-and-done QB. We don't need another one next year.

pgagolfpro77
8/23/2006, 12:21 PM

Well, I think it would have been a good thing to have him.

But, its a moot point,so....

:cool:

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 12:21 PM
Well, sorry...but I've seen Keller play and I also know Halzle was 1-9 as a starter in JUCO and Sam Bradford is a few months removed from carrying Jenni Beth's books to Algebra 3 class. He would have been a great get...I have to assume Stoops and the boys didn't act as welcoming to him, maybe for good reason, cause I can't see why he would pick Nebraska over OU based on what the teams have next year. Oh, well...

opksooner
8/23/2006, 12:22 PM
Why "Damn it"? There are indications ( lack of popularity among team mates) that he is a head case. At the very least, he is a guy who said "If I can't start I'm gonna take my ball and go home." We need this like a hole in the head.

pgagolfpro77
8/23/2006, 12:27 PM
Why "Damn it"? There are indications ( lack of popularity among team mates) that he is a head case. At the very least, he is a guy who said "If I can't start I'm gonna take my ball and go home." We need this like a hole in the head.

Well, I think he would have been a good addition to the team while Bradford had a chance to get some mop up duty and prepare for 2008.

From the reports I have read out of AZ, it was the coach that was nuts and Keller was doing what any rational person would have done, i.e. winning the QB battle, getting the lead job publicly, then getting tossed for the second time a few days later.

He may have produced under a coach with some balls.

JMO, but thats what I think having read what I've read.

Oh, well.

Hunyock
8/23/2006, 12:32 PM
According to sources here in Nebraska, Keller has just applied for admission. He is still deciding between NU and OU.

VolinArizona
8/23/2006, 12:35 PM

Head Coach Dirk Koetter is the true head case.

pgagolfpro77
8/23/2006, 12:36 PM
According to sources here in Nebraska, Keller has just applied for admission. He is still deciding between NU and OU.

I hopwe youre right, and if you are, it confirms by belief that

ESPN totally just makes stuff up most of the time.

What a bunch of liars.

I swear...:rolleyes:

astro5169

amen/....Lets go after Heupuls little brother....

mrowl
I will care about this kid if he ends up at OU, otherwise? bleh.

Hunyock
8/23/2006, 12:38 PM
I hopwe youre right, and if you are, it confirms by belief that

ESPN totally just makes stuff up most of the time.

What a bunch of liars.

I swear...:rolleyes:

I hope I'm wrong because I'm a Husker fan. :D

BTW, here is the link to the Lincoln Journal Star which I am referring to.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

pgagolfpro77
8/23/2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the link, man.

And, good luck in the race.

You seem like a really nice guy to me, so best of luck to ya!

phxokee
8/23/2006, 12:43 PM
The talk about her in Phx is that Keller has some issues. We just rid of a kid with issues. This is best for OU

Hunyock
8/23/2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the link, man.

And, good luck in the race.

You seem like a really nice guy to me, so best of luck to ya!

THX!

Everyone should just sit back and wait for the official. Whatever happens, I hope to see you guys at the CCG.:)

astro5169
8/23/2006, 12:47 PM
Why are you an Iowa State fan?

BermudaSooner
8/23/2006, 12:48 PM
"Keller is going to try to visit both campuses today and make a decision by tonight, Coveney said."

How do you visit both Norman and Lincoln in the same day and see anything? That doesn't make any sense.

Hunyock
8/23/2006, 12:49 PM
Why are you an Iowa State fan?

Drumroll Please!

astro5169
8/23/2006, 12:52 PM
But why would you be an Iowa State fan?> Doesn't Nebraska have a football team anymore? Or did they move to NAIA? I havent seen them on tv lately??:P

BoonesFarmSooner
8/23/2006, 01:16 PM
Everyone on here talks about how they want a QB like Heupel. Well no $%#@!!!! However, guys like that aren't sitting on every street corner waiting on a call from OU.

I'm good with letting Stoops determine if he wants this guy or not. It seems like he has a pretty good track record of rewarding kids with playing time if they work hard and take care of business.

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 01:23 PM
Everyone on here talks about how they want a QB like Heupel. Well no $%#@!!!! However, guys like that aren't sitting on every street corner waiting on a call from OU.

I'm good with letting Stoops determine if he wants this guy or not. It seems like he has a pretty good track record of rewarding kids with playing time if they work hard and take care of business.

525 posts is all!! Who wants to hear from this newbie? Prolly the kind of guy who is too scared to have his tonsils removed!

Hey, Boones...can you find us a left tackle like Anthony Munoz while you are at it?

BoonesFarmSooner
8/23/2006, 01:37 PM
525 posts is all!! Who wants to hear from this newbie? Prolly the kind of guy who is too scared to have his tonsils removed!

Hey, Boones...can you find us a left tackle like Anthony Munoz while you are at it?

Some of us work for a living... Keep talking $hit, I'll have you paying $4.00 for unleaded....

colleyvillesooner
8/23/2006, 03:06 PM
A thread on insider indicates that it's not a done deal yet. He has been accepted through admissions but not enrolled in class. Supposed to visit OU campus soon. It's from one of their head honchos so we'll see.

H&P
8/23/2006, 03:11 PM
Keller is in Nebraska now and has been interviewed by local Omaha/Lincoln media members. He's a Husker.

Octavian
8/23/2006, 03:11 PM
Supposed to visit OU campus soon. It's from one of their head honchos so we'll see.

If he does indeed visit OU I bet he becomes a Sooner (for better or worse).

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

What a crazy off-season...

astro5169
8/23/2006, 03:15 PM
I am going to play qb next year... no I am not.....yes I am....I am going here .....you wont play me.....I am taking my ball and going home....

When I was growing up you played ball when you earned it.

JPNSKER
8/23/2006, 03:16 PM

Just like the good ole days, eh? Only 20 years ago we were fighting over the best option QB.... Times, they are a changin':)

astro5169
8/23/2006, 03:18 PM
Nevada has a university? Or is that NONAME University?> Maybe neverland University???

Cause Nebrask aint gonna be there!

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 03:18 PM
If you know nothing of the situation out here in the AZ, don't become an expert on the merits of Sam Keller. He was hosed...ask anyone!

If he visited Nebraska and they loved him, accepted him and attempted to enroll him, good move on their part.

But, if he comes to Norman and we feel the same...? Well, I have trouble believing Keller will look around, check out our talent, our campus, our facilities, our women and decide that Huskerville is the place for him.

astro5169
8/23/2006, 03:21 PM
Make a choice and play. People love Thompson because he is a team player. He has always done what is best for the team. period.

He may not be the best talent but i love him as our qb this year. JW was high most of his career and he won a heisman.

Mr. Nuke
8/23/2006, 03:25 PM

I have a feeling he won't be visiting Oklahoma. He is Lincoln signing scholarship papers right now.

Hunyock
8/23/2006, 03:26 PM
The local Omaha reporters are reporting that Sam is N. He was interviewed at the Omaha airport and is on his way to Lincoln. A formal announcement is coming.

H&P
8/23/2006, 03:26 PM
Choice is made, his plane arrived in Omaha within the last hour and was interviewed by local TV media. He is on his way to Lincoln currently to sign scholarship papers.

Octavian
8/23/2006, 03:30 PM
So where is he now?

Where's he gonna sign?

What's the local-yokal media sayin'?

Is he traveling by airplane?

:rolleyes:

astro5169
8/23/2006, 03:31 PM
Does Lincoln have an airport? Corn powered?

Octavian
8/23/2006, 03:33 PM
If he visited Nebraska and they loved him, accepted him and attempted to enroll him, good move on their part.

But, if he comes to Norman and we feel the same...? Well, I have trouble believing Keller will look around, check out our talent, our campus, our facilities, our women and decide that Huskerville is the place for him.

eggzackly...

If he's going to Nebraska, then good luck to him.

But I still don't think he'd have ended up there if he would've visited OU.

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 03:39 PM
So guys making their 6th and 3rd posts ever here claim he is on T.V. in Nebraska right now signing papers and putting on a jock strap with a big N on it.

I'll wait until I hear it from his mouth...

H&P
8/23/2006, 03:41 PM
So guys making their 6th and 3rd posts ever here claim he is on T.V. in Nebraska right now signing papers and putting on a jock strap with a big N on it.

http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/3715236.html

Link has interview with him, from his own mouth, on video. Click on left "Keller Arrives at Epply"

Mr. Nuke
8/23/2006, 03:41 PM

Here it ishttp://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/3715236.html

astro5169
8/23/2006, 03:45 PM
Nope aint going to be enuf

OklahomaTuba
8/23/2006, 03:48 PM
Kid sounds like a quitter to me. I bet he drops out of NU in a few days.

OklahomaTuba
8/23/2006, 03:49 PM
By the way, I think its great that one can get admitted to NU by just simply "showing up".

astro5169
8/23/2006, 03:53 PM
he had the grades....and a good knowledge of corn

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 03:59 PM
Oh, yeah? Some guy making his 4th post here is...oh, wait.

Coloradosker
8/23/2006, 04:01 PM
Well, sorry...but I've seen Keller play and I also know Halzle was 1-9 as a starter in JUCO and Sam Bradford is a few months removed from carrying Jenni Beth's books to Algebra 3 class. He would have been a great get...I have to assume Stoops and the boys didn't act as welcoming to him, maybe for good reason, cause I can't see why he would pick Nebraska over OU based on what the teams have next year. Oh, well...
Not trying to start an argument here, but NU returns every one of their offensive weapons except our FB. That's 4 RB's and about 8 receivers with starting experience. Not only that, but 15 of 17 o-lineman with experience. If I were Sam, having that kind of an offense around me with the arm that he has would be hard to pass up.

royalfan5
8/23/2006, 04:05 PM
By the way, I think its great that one can get admitted to NU by just simply "showing up".
He has been in school already for three years, if he has any sort of grades at ASU it shouldn't be a problem. Plus, let's not kid ourselves, football players are going to get expedidted treatment.

Hunyock
8/23/2006, 04:16 PM
Not trying to flame on here, just though you would want to know. I honestly thought that Keller would go to Norman because his starting spot is virtually assured there. In Lincoln he would have some competition with Hildebrand.

Time will tell with Keller if this is a good get or a bad. Most up in Nebraska have noticed that there is alot of good chemistry on the team, especially after Beck left. Here is hoping that Keller isn't the bad apple that some think he might be. I guess time will tell.

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 04:27 PM
Not trying to start an argument here, but NU returns every one of their offensive weapons except our FB. That's 4 RB's and about 8 receivers with starting experience. Not only that, but 15 of 17 o-lineman with experience. If I were Sam, having that kind of an offense around me with the arm that he has would be hard to pass up.

I KNOW you don't have a running back NEAR the talent of AD...and even if he goes pro, I'll put DeMarco Murray up against your best next year. I mean, 4 RB's...any more twins from 6 man football teams left in Nebraska?

Receivers? Do you guys have black guys running routes yet? Seriously...who is your best receiver and what NFL possibilities does he have? I'd say OU can brag about the likes of Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones and Mark Bradley in the NFL...and this crop there now is every bit as talented and mostly juniors next year. Oh, and then there is the 6'6 freshman freak at tight end this year...you have NO ONE the caliber of Jermaine Gresham (basing this on potential, but it is HUGE!).

O-Line you may or may not have an edge...I don't know. But skill players? Nope. Behind OU significantly, IMO.

Coloradosker
8/23/2006, 04:41 PM
I KNOW you don't have a running back NEAR the talent of AD...and even if he goes pro, I'll put DeMarco Murray up against your best next year. I mean, 4 RB's...any more twins from 6 man football teams left in Nebraska?

Receivers? Do you guys have black guys running routes yet? Seriously...who is your best receiver and what NFL possibilities does he have? I'd say OU can brag about the likes of Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones and Mark Bradley in the NFL...and this crop there now is every bit as talented and mostly juniors next year. Oh, and then there is the 6'6 freshman freak at tight end this year...you have NO ONE the caliber of Jermaine Gresham (basing this on potential, but it is HUGE!).

O-Line you may or may not have an edge...I don't know. But skill players? Nope. Behind OU significantly, IMO.

To each his own opinion, I guess. All I can say is watch us this year and you'll know what I'm talking about.

tommie15
8/23/2006, 04:44 PM

Well, we have 4 unproven backs. All signs, however, point toward this being the most talented group since Dan Alexandar and Corell Buckhalter in 2000. I don't know how much stock you put in stars (obviously some, since you say Murray would be our best back), so I list them.

Kenny Wilson - 4* - bruiser with speed, complete package according to all practice accounts, a junior this year

Marlon Lucky - 5* - slasher who may be adjusting to D1 ball (finally), we will see if he lives up to that ranking this year

Cody Glenn - 3* - tough runner who may be the best of the bunch, a soph like lucky

Brandon Jackson - 4* - the forgotten man who might be the most talented, injuries have held him down

Someone will emerge from this group this year, possibly two or three.

The WRs may not be on par with OU yet, but they're pretty good.

Nate Swift and Terrance Nunn both have 3 years in the system and really came on at the end of last year. We added Maurice Purify (number 1 JUCO WR) and frosh Meno Holt and Will Henry. Henry is most likely a redshirt, but Meno will probably contribute. Also, Todd Peterson is an excellent possesion receiver.

Sam Keller was the missing piece to the puzzle, assuming he keeps his head on straight.

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 05:09 PM
I'm not into recruiting...and I've barely heard of any of those Husker players. I guess we'll see.

Now do me a favor and go whip USC's ***!!!

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 05:28 PM
Average temperature in Lincoln over the next 7 months - 38.5 degrees
Average temperature in Norman over the next 7 months - 50.2 degrees
Average temperature in Tempe over the next 7 months - 64.2 degrees

Bundle up, Sammy!

KingDavid
8/23/2006, 08:34 PM
Here's how this decision played out:

Daddy Keller: "Now Coach Callahan, we go way back, right? And you're telling me that he's definitely going to be named the starter in the Spring? I have your word on that?"

Spineless Callahan: "You got it, pops. We believe in your son, implicitly. And know he has the stuff to take us to the promise land. I'll make the team respect his leadership. Sign here, Sammy-boy."

Daddy Keller: "Wait one minute, Bill. I need to make a quick call."

click. dials Coach Stoops.

Daddy Keller: "Yes, Bob. I need to know if my son can be guaranteed to start for your squad next year if he comes there. I have that assurance from Coach Callahan. Clearly your program is better, but can you offer the same?"

Stalwart Stoops: "If Sam wants to come and test his metal against the best recruits in the nation, we're happy to offer that opportunity, but ONLY after we have had the time to meet with him and learn more about the nature of his quick exit from another program. In the end, the best players play, Mr. Keller. Period."

Daddy Keller: click.
________

It's too bad that we don't have the opportunity to flatten this little whiny beyotch next year - unless they manage to squirm out of that sorry division into the Big XII championship. Possible. One can hope.

sooneron
8/23/2006, 08:39 PM
Can we change the name of this board to bugeaterfans.com ??

goingoneight
8/23/2006, 09:00 PM
Can we change the name of this board to bugeaterfans.com ??

we already changed it to hornfans.com a while back, we'll have to wait...

MiccoMacey
8/23/2006, 09:09 PM
worthless thread........

Desert Sapper
8/24/2006, 02:34 AM
I'm hoping we pull in a good HS QB recruit or two this year (like maybe Cameron Newton from ATL or the Garcia kid from FL). I wasn't really counting on Sam Keller.

GDC
8/24/2006, 07:54 AM
Sooner update
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/24/2006

POSITION WATCH

Kickers

Head coach Bob Stoops said Wednesday the punting battle between Michael Cohen and Mike Knall continues.

"The last time out, I think we had 20 punts, 10 each, and one averaged 42 (yards) and one averaged 46," Stoops said after a two-hour session on the Memorial Stadium practice fields. "It's been vice-versa between the two of 'em in some other practices and scrimmages. So it's been really good. Between those two, I'm going to let that continue to go. What I'm pleased about is that both have been pretty solid."

Placekicker Garrett Hartley, who also handles kickoffs and has been competing for the punting job as well, is "just a little sore right now, so we're resting him this week. Nothing major," Stoops said.

"He's been, every time we've been out there, he's been solid."

NEWS AND NOTES

Fantasy quarterbacks: All the speculation and rumors of former Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller taking a visit to Oklahoma in the near future are, apparently, pure fantasy. According to reports on the Lincoln Journal-Star newspaper's Web site Wednesday night, Keller

said he has enrolled at Nebraska and will join the Cornhusker football team immediately.

More than one fan message board at more than one school has addressed rumors of more than one big-time quarterback transferring to OU, including LSU, Georgia, Texas, USC and Arizona State.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was asked after practice Wednesday night about the process that OU would need to go through to land a transfer from a four-year school with classes already having started at Oklahoma (and most other schools), but he declined comment.

"I'm not going to -- I don't deal in hypotheticals," Stoops said. "You're speculating. You're wanting me to say something. We'll see. We'll see."

Asked if he had been contacted by any college quarterbacks looking to transfer -- Keller's father was quoted in a Wednesday report having talked to Stoops, and the player's stepfather said his son would visit OU on Thursday -- Stoops again declined to answer.

"Whether I have or not," he said, "I wouldn't acknowledge."

Snap on: Stoops also said Sand Springs walk-on Derek Shaw "seems to have" won the deep snapping job over freshman tight end Eric Mensik. "Right now," Stoops said, Shaw "is the best snapper. Really pleased with him. He's done an excellent job."

On center: Sophomore center Jon Cooper returned to practice this week after missing several sessions with a bruised knee. Stoops said Cooper "looked good the last couple of days" and said Jenks freshman Chase Beeler "is doing a good job getting better, and (starting left tackle) Chris Messner's done a good job in there as well."/

GDC
8/24/2006, 07:56 AM
World Picks: Picker makes return for football campaign
By TULSA WORLD PICKER
8/24/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

This is your lucky day.

Why? Look around. You're here.

The Picks is the nation's number one sports, self-improvement and educational read.

Coaches read us. Geniuses read us. Not that coaches can't be geniuses. Ballerinas read us. Athletic directors read us. Nuts read us. So many people read us that you can no longer impress your friends by reading us, because they read us, too.

Why do so many people read us?

Last year we told you:

That Maria Sharapova had grown too attractive and tall to win another tennis major.

That sports talk radio caused drowsiness.

That Bill Self was the most overrated basketball coach around.

That tennis player Andre Outagasse was done.

That Danica Patrick appeared much better than she drove.

That OU radio announcer Bob Barry had a good year -- because all the games were on television.

Stories we are working on at press time are:

Can nice-guy, great citizen, and fine runner Paul Thompson, the OU quarterback, stand on the goal line and throw one through the uprights?

Can the Oklahoma State defense stop a hot dog wrapper blowing down the sidewalk?

Which is the best football team in the state, OU, TU or OSU?

Is coach Pat Jones the only reason to listen to sports talk radio?

Is the OU gridiron situation so glum that Stoops can't quit?

Has pricey, also-ran NBA basketball doomed OU hoops?

Is TU coach K out of here?

What OU compliance department?

Can OSU's Gundy coach a lick?

Will the heat cause tee-off times at the PGA at Southern Hills in 2007 to begin at 4:50 a.m.?

Is ESPN's Neil Everett the worst anchor outside of the weekend guy in Dusty, Texas?

Which of the Oklahoma City Sports Animals loves OU the most: Hump, Lump, Stump, Al, Dean, the Steel Man, the Tin Man, the Fish Man, Dopey or Goofy?

Is Arkansas still in Division I-A?

Is OU AD Castiglione being given a free pass on criticism? Does anybody still not have Billy Sims' autograph?

A winner every time -- usually it's us.

We're appearing a week early with two touts -- the football picking contest that begins Monday about noon with college games and an entry form on our main Web site; and the new sports package at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra.

The contest picks are made against the point spread. If you do to us what we did to you last year, a tremendous prize is possible. On the new sports extra, your favorite writers can be seen routinely blogging, which is more work for the same money.

On our blog this week, we list the top sports events in Oklahoma. Are OU football and OSU basketball in the top four?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to play Out-Pick the Picker

Think you have the smarts to beat the Picker at his own game? The Out-Pick the Picker contest starts Monday at noon.

Each week -- from noon Monday to 11:59 p.m. Wednesday -- make your picks on selected college and NFL football games during the season. Compare your picks against the Picker in Thursday's Tulsa World.

All participants, including the Picker, are playing "against the spread." The "spread" is the number of points by which the favored team is predicted to win. It's expressed as a "minus number" in parentheses after the favored team. The player and the Picker have to "beat the spread."

For example: Rhode Island A&M (-26) vs. Southern Vermont State. If the Picker selects Rhode Island A&M and the final score is RIA&M 26, SVS 10, then the Picker loses. Rhode Island A&M had to win this game by more than 26 points. If you had picked Southern Vermont State, you win that contest game, even though SVS lost. If Rhode Island had won by exactly 26 points, the game is considered a push, and doesn't count in the contest.

The number of games picked correctly "against the spread" is your score for each week's contest. If your score beats the Picker's score you get a win for that week. The results will be published at tulsaworld.com by noon on Tuesday's and in Wednesday's print edition of the Tulsa World.

Ten or more wins and you get a chance to win one of six recliners from Beeline Furniture,. Twelve or more wins qualifies you for a chance to win a set of Callaway golf clubs from Golf USA. Fourteen wins qualifies you for a chance to win a 42-inch, flat panel plasma HD television from Video Revolution.

Go to www.tulsaworld.com/picker.asp for complete rules and to enter..

GDC
8/24/2006, 07:56 AM
OU's NCAA fate remains in question
By MIKE STRAIN World Sports Editor
8/24/2006

An investigation into the program's violations may result in sanctions.
The University of Oklahoma's athletic department investigation has produced a pile of evidence as thick as the Tulsa phone book.

Tax forms, payroll records, time cards, interviews and more. More than 500 pages outline OU's quest to get to the bottom of NCAA violations in its football program.

Those violations led to the dismissal of quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn. Both were paid for work they never performed at Norman auto dealership Big Red Sports and Imports.

Now, questions loom:

How much were Bomar and Quinn overpaid?

Only people at the NCAA and within the OU athletic department know the exact figure. In its report, OU explained how it calculated the dollar amounts it believes Bomar and Quinn were overpaid. But those figures were blacked out of the report given to media on Tuesday.

Jerry Bomar, Rhett Bomar's father, said his son was overpaid about $5,000-$7,000, according to a report in The Oklahoman. Attempts by the Tulsa World to reach Jerry Bomar have been unsuccessful.

Among W-2 forms in OU's report, one player was paid $10,439 by Big Red in 2005. The player's

name was blacked out on records OU provided media.

Who is Mark Jones, and why is he a central figure in the investigation?

Jones is the man OU hired to help with the investigation. He spent 18 years with the NCAA, in cluding time as managing director of enforcement. He now works for Ice Miller, an Indianapolis law firm.

Hiring Jones was a smart move, said former Oklahoma State football coach Pat Jones, who once saw a similar hire pay off.

In the late 1980s, Pat Jones' football program faced serious NCAA sanctions. OSU hired attorney Michael Glazier, who supplies services similar to those offered by Mark Jones. The decision to hire Glazier saved OSU from a disastrous NCAA ruling, Pat Jones said.

The NCAA's initial ruling against the Cowboys' football program would have left OSU with a seven-game season -- all of them on the road -- Pat Jones said.

But the ruling was reduced. And though OSU still received stiff sanctions, the NCAA was "pleased with the way (the university) handled it," Pat Jones said. "And it was because we commissioned Glazier."

The decision to hire a man respected by the NCAA will help OU, Pat Jones said. OU's decision to make that hire also shows how serious the school views its infractions.

"When you go get these guys, you know that we're down to real hard ball," Pat Jones said.

Mark Jones has interviewed at least one OU player and two employees at the auto dealership. All three of those interviews were conducted June 21.

What kind of questions did Mark Jones ask the player, whose name was blacked out in the document provided to media?

Mark Jones focused on the hours the player worked at Big Red, how those hours were documented and how much the player hoped to earn.

Although dates were blacked out in the document, it appears the player worked in the summer of 2004 and 2005.

During the interview, Jones asked the same question -- in different ways -- on four occasions: How did the player learn about the job?

The player said he couldn't recall how he was directed to Big Red the first summer. In the second summer, the player said, he had established contacts at the dealership and returned.

When asked if he knew how the dealership tracked actual hours worked, the player said: "I don't remember exactly, um, I know that we told them, you know, and, I think, computer or somethin' like that . . ."

When asked how many hours a week he worked, the player responded: "Um. I don't remember how many I worked a week to tell you the truth . . ."

When the player was asked how much he hoped to earn in a given week, he responded that he had no set figure but wanted "some spendin' money."

What are NCAA secondary violations, and why did OU release them this week?

The NCAA defines secondary violations as "isolated or inadvertent in nature." They provide "only a minimal recruiting, competitive or other advantage" and don't include any "significant recruiting inducement or extra benefit."

Schools throughout the country routinely report secondary violations. It's part of a compliance department's duties. The NCAA often hands down minor penalties.

In late 2005 and early 2006, OU self-reported violations in multiple sports. None of the violations were related to the auto dealership investigation.

OU released the secondary violations as part of its response Tuesday to open-records requests.

What is working for and against OU as an NCAA investigation almost certainly awaits?

Working in OU's favor: The school apparently has kept the NCAA updated throughout. And swift action was taken in dismissing Bomar and Quinn. That decision drew praise from NCAA president Myles Brand.

Hiring Mark Jones also will help the school's perception with the NCAA.

Working against OU: Lack of oversight regarding athletes working at Big Red.

When Bomar and Quinn were investigated, a financial mess was uncovered. The dealership kept poor records.

And during OU's February investigation of Adrian Peterson's failed attempt to buy a Lexus from the dealer, Big Red management was uncooperative. (OU has since banned its players from working at Big Red, which is now under new management.)

Big Red's former ownership has been cast in a bad light. OU's compliance office could be blamed for failing to monitor a business that employed so many athletes for years.

And men's basketball penalties issued a few months ago could lead to stiffer penalties this time. The NCAA's actions will be watched closely by other schools.

Public perception could compel the NCAA to show its strength by sending a message to a second-time offender.

Mike Strain 581-8356
[email protected]

OU/BIG RED TIMELINE

By Guerin Emig, World Sports writer

Summer, 2004: Seven OU football players work part-time jobs as lot porters and detailers at the Norman car dealership Big Red Sports and Imports.

Summer, 2005: Twelve players, including five from the previous summer, work part-time at Big Red.

February, 2006: OU compliance staff reviews circumstances surrounding Adrian Peterson's use of a pre-owned Lexus through Big Red, a car for which he had not secured financing.

March 3, 2006: OU president David Boren as well as NCAA enforcement staff receive an anonymous e-mail alleging several football players were being paid for work they weren't doing at Big Red.

March, 2006: OU launches an investigation in response to the allegations.

Spring, 2006: David Hudiburg assumes ownership of Big Red.

Summer, 2006: OU prohibits athletes from working at Big Red as a result of the dealership's failure to cooperate with OU compliance personnel during investigation into the Peterson / Lexus situation.

June 21, 2006: OU conducts an interview with a football player during its internal investigation. The player's name is blacked out on documents given to the media.

Late July, 2006: OU uncovers evidence of NCAA violations after reviewing time cards, W-2 statements and payroll information and crosschecking them with players' class and football schedules.

August 2, 2006: OU notifies the NCAA and Big 12 Conference of the violations and issues a press release which outlines the dismissal of two players (later confirmed to be Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn) for their extra-benefit violations.

August 3, 2006: OU interviews staff members Bob Stoops, Brent Venables and Merv Johnson. The coaches said they had no prior knowledge of the violations.

August 21, 2006: OU issues a report to the NCAA detailing the results of its investigation into the employment of football players at Big Red. OU concludes there were no additional NCAA violations besides those committed by the two guilty parties..

tulsaoilerfan
8/24/2006, 12:50 PM
but you still have callenberger and blake,so good luck to u:D