PDA

View Full Version : Homemade chocolate ice cream

skycat
8/23/2006, 11:33 AM
I don't think I have ever had this. Until I made some this weekend.

Holy crap. The awesomeness that is flavor of this ice cream is previously unknown to the taste bud's of man.

Or at least this man.

Boarder
8/23/2006, 11:37 AM
So what you're saying is that Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream is delicious?

We Landed On The Moon!

:D

Fugue
8/23/2006, 11:38 AM
made some last night with Cocoa for the heart. mmmmmmmmmmm

BeetDigger
8/23/2006, 11:40 AM
Next thing you know, some radical is going to post on this board that homemade bread is pretty tasty. :D

skycat
8/23/2006, 12:56 PM
I stand by my position.

GDC
8/23/2006, 01:04 PM
You could amend the title of this thread to just homemade ice cream in general. We basically have it every day where I work.

StoopTroup
8/23/2006, 02:12 PM
I used to add Baileys Irish Cream to the vanilla when making it...

I can't believe Bailey's hasn't come up with this as a product yet.

Also...

Brandy Alexanders are the Shiznit...

Boarder
8/23/2006, 03:35 PM
I used to add Baileys Irish Cream to the vanilla when making it...

I can't believe Bailey's hasn't come up with this as a product yet.

Also...

Brandy Alexanders are the Shiznit...
Yeah, that'd be awesome!
http://www.haagen-dazs.com/img_db/pro/pro_bii_200.gif

:les: We Landed On The Moon!

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 03:38 PM
You could amend the title of this thread to just homemade ice cream in general. We basically have it every day where I work.

Where do you work? And is there a spot open for a computer geek to sit and eat ice cream?

GDC
8/23/2006, 03:39 PM
Where do you work? And is there a spot open for a computer geek to sit and eat ice cream?

It's a school. We are fortunate to have a way above average cafeteria.

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 03:43 PM
It's a school. We are fortunate to have a way above average cafeteria.

:eek: No kidding! When I was in school ice cream = chalky cold substance that sticks to your teefs. Kids nowdays have it too easy.

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 03:45 PM
I don't think I have ever had this. Until I made some this weekend.

Holy crap. The awesomeness that is flavor of this ice cream is previously unknown to the taste bud's of man.

Or at least this man.

recipe?

skycat
8/23/2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, that'd be awesome!
http://www.haagen-dazs.com/img_db/pro/pro_bii_200.gif

:les: We Landed On The Moon!

That crap doesn't deserve to be within a mile of my homemade ice cream thread.

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 04:29 PM
recipe?

:les: Recipe?!?

skycat
8/23/2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I used one.

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I used one.

c'mon..hook a brother up...

skycat
8/23/2006, 05:06 PM
Sorry, don't have the recipe at the office. I'll try and remember tonight.

I doubt it's revolutionary or anything.

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 09:41 PM
Sorry, don't have the recipe at the office. I'll try and remember tonight.

I doubt it's revolutionary or anything.

9:45 pm recipe reminder

SicEmBaylor
8/23/2006, 09:49 PM
The mom of a friend of mine used to make this, and I had her e-mail me the receipe back in HS so my mom could make it. Thank God, I save every damned e-mail I ever get.

It's Milky Way Icecream and soooooo f-ing good.

Heavenly chocolate ice cream.. 12 ( 1 3/4 oz.) milky way bars, cut into pieces. 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk. about 3 qt. milk. 1 (5.5 oz.) can chocolate syrup. Combine candy and sweetened condensed milk in a large saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add about 1 quart milk to candy mixture; beat until well blended. Pour mixture into freezer can of 1 gallon hand turn or electric freezer; stir in chocolate syrup. add enough milk to fill freezer container to within 4 inches from top. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Yield: 1 gallon.

OCUDad
8/23/2006, 09:52 PM
Next time, throw just a touch of cinnamon into the mix. Chocolate with a hint of cinnamon = paradise.

Mongo
8/23/2006, 09:53 PM
The mom of a friend of mine used to make this, and I had her e-mail me the receipe back in HS so my mom could make it. Thank God, I save every damned e-mail I ever get.

It's Milky Way Icecream and soooooo f-ing good.

Heavenly chocolate ice cream.. 12 ( 1 3/4 oz.) milky way bars, cut into pieces. 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk. about 3 qt. milk. 1 (5.5 oz.) can chocolate syrup. Combine candy and sweetened condensed milk in a large saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add about 1 quart milk to candy mixture; beat until well blended. Pour mixture into freezer can of 1 gallon hand turn or electric freezer; stir in chocolate syrup. add enough milk to fill freezer container to within 4 inches from top. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Yield: 1 gallon.

You had me at f-ing good

skycat
8/23/2006, 10:40 PM
9:45 pm recipe reminder

Don't ever let it be said that I'm not here for you people.

To make 4 qts:

2 2/3c. -- Sugar
2 T. -- Cornstarch
1/2 tsp. -- Salt
6 c. -- Milk
4 -- Eggs, beaten
6 sq -- Semisweet Chocolate (melted)
1 1/3 c. -- Half and Half
2 c. -- Whipping Cream
2 tsp. -- Vanilla Extract

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until slightly thickened (about 2 minutes). Stir in melted chocolate. Beat with a whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in half and half, whipping cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Freeze as directed.

Having written that, I think I may have done something wrong, because no matter how much I beat the mixture, I had little egg bits floating around. So after I got bored of mixing the stuff, I just sent it through a strainer.

I just finished eating some more. This stuff is fantastic.

Mongo
8/23/2006, 10:56 PM
The process with the eggs is tempering. If the eggs are introduced into a hot enviroment too quickly, they will scramble, thus giving a sh!tty ice cream mixture. Try introducing a tablespoon of the hot mix to the egg while whisking it. Keep adding tablespoon by tablespoon until the eggs are thinned out or their temp has greatly increased. The biggest part of the tempering process is patience and whisking.

Please be advised that I have tempered eggs only twice in my culinary lifetime(both times turned out great), but I have logged more hours watching food network than the ordinary person. And I am a large mammal that loves his food.

skycat
8/23/2006, 10:58 PM
The process with the eggs is tempering. If the eggs are introduced into a hot enviroment too quickly, they will scramble, thus giving a sh!tty ice cream mixture. Try introducing a tablespoon of the hot mix to the egg while whisking it. Keep adding tablespoon by tablespoon until the eggs are thinned out or their temp has greatly increased. The biggest part of the tempering process is patience and whisking.

Please be advised that I have tempered eggs only twice in my culinary lifetime(both times turned out great), but I have logged more hours watching food network than the ordinary person. And I am a large mammal that loves his food.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that.

But as it turns out, straining works too. :cool:

Preservation Parcels
8/23/2006, 11:42 PM
mmm, OCUDad. Hot chocolate with a dash of cinnamon is incredible.

Best homemade ice cream I ever had was mint chocolate chip. We found out the hard way that adding more than a splash of creme de menthe would keep it from freezing.

If a little is good...

GottaHavePride
8/24/2006, 12:24 AM

Dude, I am a Food Network junkie. About all I watch anymore is Food Network, Comedy Central, Adult Swim on Cartoon Network, and MythBusters.

Oh, and

Next thing you know, some radical is going to post on this board that homemade bread is pretty tasty. :D

HOMEMADE BREAD IS TEH AWEXOME!!!! Viva la revolucion!
http://www.poster.net/che-guevara/che-guevara-portrait-5001050.jpg

Get it? Radical?

RacerX
8/24/2006, 06:23 AM
I wonder if that recipe could be merged with one that doesn't use eggs?

Hamhock
8/24/2006, 08:32 AM
Don't ever let it be said that I'm not here for you people.

To make 4 qts:

Having written that, I think I may have done something wrong, because no matter how much I beat the mixture, I had little egg bits floating around. So after I got bored of mixing the stuff, I just sent it through a strainer.

I just finished eating some more. This stuff is fantastic.

thanks, but this won't work for me. my ice cream maker only makes a gallon.

skycat
8/24/2006, 09:49 AM
thanks, but this won't work for me. my ice cream maker only makes a gallon.

No problem. Here's the gallon recipe.

2 2/3c. -- Sugar
2 T. -- Cornstarch
1/2 tsp. -- Salt
6 c. -- Milk
4 -- Eggs, beaten
6 sq -- Semisweet Chocolate (melted)
1 1/3 c. -- Half and Half
2 c. -- Whipping Cream
2 tsp. -- Vanilla Extract

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer, stirring constantly. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until slightly thickened (about 2 minutes). Stir in melted chocolate. Beat with a whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in half and half, whipping cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Freeze as directed.