Looks like tu has acknowledged their classless fans.........Hook 'em
UT launches sportsmanship initiative
8/22/2006 4:13 PM
By: Jennifer Bordelon

Football season is almost here.

Soon more than 100,0000 fans will be in and around The University of Texas'
DKR-Memorial Stadium.

If you plan on attending any sporting events at UT this fall, the university
has a message for you, "Texas Fans: Make Us Proud." .

It's part of a new sportsmanship initiative for fans.

"If you look back from a societal perspective it seems like the last 20
years, we've almost made it acceptable to be a poor sport and we think we
ought to make it acceptable to be a good sport," Texas Exes Executive
Director Jim Boon said.

UT says they've never had any problems here but elsewhere that hasn't been
the case.

Last year, UT fans met some not so nice Buckeyes.

"I would be dishonest if I told you what happened last year at Ohio State
game didn't sort of prompt us to move this thing forward a little bit," Boon
said.

The University wants sports fans to be on their best behavior this year.

Even a couple members of the Hellraisers were on hand to show their support.
The Hellraisers are the spirit group known for their orange ball caps and
painted faces.

"We're those guys that paint our chest and our faces at the games and yell
at everyone that comes in," Longhorn Hellraisers president Christian
Deitering said.

Despite their name, the guys are onboard with the what the university is
asking of its fans.

"We've already done it. When are we going to rush the field? We're not
because we're No. 1 in the nation at basically everything. We have too much
class. There's not reason for us to showboat like that because we don't need
to. Everyone already knows how good we are," Deitering said.

Here's what they are asking fans to do: monitor your alcohol consumption,
treat visiting fans and players with respect and welcome them and be aware
that your actions affect children. In other words, watch that foul language.

Fans are also encouraged to find an usher, if another fan is out of
hand.

And finally, be passionate; they still want you to come early, be loud, stay
late and wear orange.

"I hope all the fans will join us especially the second week in
September and make Ohio State welcome when they come here except on the
playing field," Boon said.

And that's where they hope fans will let the Longhorns dominate.

For more information visit the Texas Exes Web page.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/23/2006, 10:11 AM
:les: CASTIGLIOWNED!!!

jwlynn64
8/23/2006, 10:12 AM
Buckeye fans my ***.

Just go stand outside the cotton bowl come the second weekend in October wearing your crimson and cream. You'll find the most classless fans in the nation.

I'm glad that some of the fans are taking the inititive to clean up their act but they better be ready for a long fight.

jk the sooner fan
8/23/2006, 10:13 AM
this new initiative does not apply to the game against OU :)

footballfanatic
8/23/2006, 10:16 AM
Buckeye fans my ***.

Just go stand outside the cotton bowl come the second weekend in October wearing your crimson and cream. You'll find the most classless fans in the nation.

I'm glad that some of the fans are taking the inititive to clean up their act but they better be ready for a long fight.

Sadly, you are correct, but there are plenty of OU fans who could show a little respect at the Cotton Bowl, as well. Bad sportsmanship seems to be a universal curse.

Herr Scholz
8/23/2006, 10:52 AM
this new initiative does not apply to the game against OU :)
Good God, of course not!! ;)

caphorns
8/23/2006, 11:02 AM
I STRONGLY agree with this initiative. All schools should be pushing this agenda. The NU model for fan behavior is BY FAR the best in the country.

JohnnyMack
8/23/2006, 11:09 AM
Sadly, you are correct, but there are plenty of OU fans who could show a little respect at the Cotton Bowl, as well. Bad sportsmanship seems to be a universal curse.

I've never been what you'd call "nice" to those silver spur faggots when they're unloading that fat piece of steak in the cotton bowl.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/23/2006, 11:11 AM
Yes, let us all clap for the visiting team!!!

At Austin, most will probably be in the beer tents, watching the game from the big screen TVs, rather than the stands...

XingTheRubicon
8/23/2006, 11:19 AM
I've never been what you'd call "nice" to those silver spur faggots when they're unloading that fat piece of steak in the cotton bowl.

Heh, I'm sure they were trembling

footballfanatic
8/23/2006, 11:25 AM

Does the expression "Get a life" mean anything to you?

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 11:32 AM

Anyone with these mullet headed mascots...

http://www.ocolly.com/issues/2005_Fall/090105/pix/mascots.jpg

Shall not be entitled to cast ANY STONES!

bwahahahahahahahahahaha :D

RedstickSooner
8/23/2006, 11:36 AM
Good sportsmanship is a good thing.

I've never thought it necessary to be an arse to show my pride as a Sooner.

I think every school could use a bit more class. There will always be bad apples out there -- the important thing is that we shun 'em. Not join 'em, or egg 'em on.

The place for school pride is in the stands when you root for your team, and yell to drown out the other team's playcalls on offense. A technique, by the way, which was sorely lacking in the last OU game I got to see in person -- The Game Which Shall Not Be Mentioned. OU fans outnumbered spoiled children by at least 3 to 1, yet the volume when our offense was on the field was little different from when theirs was. Our fans seemed to believe that supporting the team consisted of standing up and yelling the entire game. Enthusiastic, sure, but not very useful.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/23/2006, 11:37 AM
I'd be right behind you in line to throw stones at these buggers!!!

RedstickSooner
8/23/2006, 11:39 AM

Dude. Seriously.

Low blow. Low blow.

:eek:

OUMallen
8/23/2006, 11:44 AM

HAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahahahahahaha, caught me off guard. Excellent timing and delivery. Well-played, sir.

jk the sooner fan
8/23/2006, 11:57 AM
every fan is different, but i spend all my "yelling energy" on MY TEAM....i've never understood the whole "yell and boo at the other team"....

tfoolry
8/23/2006, 01:18 PM
Wow, no one has caught this piece of "humbleness"....

Deitering said.

asking of its fans.

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 02:01 PM
Wow, no one has caught this piece of "humbleness"....

Since you used the moniker "tu," and there is only one dead dog lovin', nut squeezin', ugly date kissin', toy soldier wanna-be, backward, national joke of a school who uses such term,.... perhaps you should pay more attention to your natural rivals.. those fightin' Baylor Bears, .. than spending time looking longingly at your "bettors."

Oh Sic.. didn't mean to insult da Bears.. after all.. Baylor has more men's national championships in all sports than aggy.

JohnnyMack
8/23/2006, 02:11 PM
Heh, I'm sure they were trembling

I showed them pictures of hills. One of them nearly fainted.

tfoolry
8/23/2006, 02:18 PM
I'm definitely an OU fan, but always welcome "tu" bashing from my dead dog lovin', nut squeezin', ugly date kissin', toy soldier wanna-be, backward, national joke of a school aTm friends here in Dallas.

fwsooner22
8/23/2006, 02:19 PM
YAWN...........It's football you Longhorn sissies............I have been to no less than 10 games at DKR Stadium........I have seen them care less when they are beating patsies, be absolutley awesome against Notre Dame and then throw stuff on the field when they lost to Penn State.

Ya know what that makes them..........No different than us..............but still Longhorn sissies

lukin254
8/23/2006, 02:28 PM
There is no place for sportsmanship in college sports, it takes away from the game.

Octavian
8/23/2006, 02:32 PM
This is just like putting dark curtains up at The Ramp or moving the band at Memorial so football players don't get their feelings hurt.

I'm not saying everyone should be like 1980s Miami or there isn't a line that shouldn't be crossed...but it's a football game, not gymnastics.

Players and fans shouldn't expect a red carpet to be rolled out for them when they go on the road. That's part of the game and it makes it fun.

If you're a 20 year old football player and you've never been booed or taunted, chances are you're playing for Vanderbilt.

It's a wonder players from the 20th century ever made it through life after getting heckled.

lame.

tbl
8/23/2006, 02:37 PM
I think sportsmanship should be applied more in the college game than anywhere else, but we have bad fans just like they do.

Regardless, all those rules go out the window at the Cotton Bowl. It's nobodies home field, we hate each other, so there should be no falses pretenses for niceties. I hates 'em... and I lets 'em know it... especially after being there last year and walking the gauntlet to the car.

StoopTroup
8/23/2006, 02:38 PM
I think if your an OU Fan and your right behind the TU bench and your giving Chrissy so much business that he turns around and flips you off....

Well...your job as a fan is done IMO. :D

It was done at least once by a friend of mine that I know of...

The second time it was done at another sporting event and TFRW turned to Chrissy and said "Dude...there your buddy".

Chrissy got red in the face and turned around.

And yes...I was yelling at him yelling at him as he entered and exited the tunnel in the Cotton Bowl.

Herr Scholz
8/23/2006, 02:41 PM
This is just like putting dark curtains up at The Ramp...
Actually, that was just a spiteful move by our AD to take away some of your fun at that game. Plain and simple. ;)

Octavian
8/23/2006, 02:43 PM
Actually, that was just a spiteful move by our AD to take away some of your fun at that game. Plain and simple. ;)

No, it was an admission that we'd completely mind-f*cked you this century ;)

Herr Scholz
8/23/2006, 02:45 PM
No, it was an admission that we'd completely mind-f*cked you this century ;)
Then there's that... It did detract from your fun though.

Octavian
8/23/2006, 02:46 PM
yes, yes it did :(

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 02:57 PM
My favorite story didn't actually happen to me, but a good friend of mine. It was our freshman year, in Pride, and our first RRS. We were just finishing up the best pridewich ever when an old couple walked by my friend. He waved, and the old buzzard turned to her husband and said "There's one of those band queer mother ****ers!"

I still laugh to this day.

lukin254
8/23/2006, 03:00 PM
People wouldn't have so much hatred for each other as fans, which is beautiful, if there was all this wonderful f-ing sportsmanship of which only soccer moms and people that don't keep score care.

DeadSolidPerfect
8/23/2006, 03:05 PM

God, I hate those things. I'd like to throw rocks at the guy who came up with that idea.

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 04:07 PM
There should be a big difference between sportsmanship and yelling at players on the opposing team.. and fans.

If you're playing the game, it's pretty much, all bets are off and may the best heckler win... For example, I still think this prank was... well, genius..

http://rangelife.typepad.com/rangelife/2006/03/victoria_not_vi.html

As for fans, I will drink beer, martinis and smoke cigars with you before and after the game (no matter who wins).. will throw out some good natured smack.. but won't do carp like.. throwing beer or eggs or screaming obscenities.

OUstud
8/23/2006, 04:55 PM
Soon more than 100,0000 fans will be in and around The University of Texas' DKR-Memorial Stadium.

:eek: a billion people?!?

:pop:

AlabamaSooner
8/23/2006, 05:24 PM
Looks like tu has acknowledged their classless fans.........Hook 'em
UT launches sportsmanship initiative
8/22/2006 4:13 PM
By: Jennifer Bordelon

Football season is almost here.

Soon more than 100,0000 fans will be in and around The University of Texas'
DKR-Memorial Stadium.

If you plan on attending any sporting events at UT this fall, the university
has a message for you, "Texas Fans: Make Us Proud." .

It's part of a new sportsmanship initiative for fans.

"If you look back from a societal perspective it seems like the last 20
years, we've almost made it acceptable to be a poor sport and we think we
ought to make it acceptable to be a good sport," Texas Exes Executive
Director Jim Boon said.

UT says they've never had any problems here but elsewhere that hasn't been
the case.

Last year, UT fans met some not so nice Buckeyes.

"I would be dishonest if I told you what happened last year at Ohio State
game didn't sort of prompt us to move this thing forward a little bit," Boon
said.

The University wants sports fans to be on their best behavior this year.

Even a couple members of the Hellraisers were on hand to show their support.
The Hellraisers are the spirit group known for their orange ball caps and
painted faces.

Deitering said.

asking of its fans.

Here's what they are asking fans to do: monitor your alcohol consumption,
treat visiting fans and players with respect and welcome them and be aware
that your actions affect children. In other words, watch that foul language.

Fans are also encouraged to find an usher, if another fan is out of
hand.

And finally, be passionate; they still want you to come early, be loud, stay
late and wear orange.

"I hope all the fans will join us especially the second week in
September and make Ohio State welcome when they come here except on the
playing field," Boon said.

And that's where they hope fans will let the Longhorns dominate.

For more information visit the Texas Exes Web page.

Isn't that a contradiction right there?

goingoneight
8/23/2006, 09:29 PM
It is a smart Castiglione-like move, (remember the bottle incident at the B*dlam Basketball game in 2005 he made us be quiet about?). I just don't see a bunch of Texas fans behaving themselves kindly... it's football. The same reason people hate them is the same reason they hate OU. The stereotypical "rude fans." The aggy perspective seems to make us look bad.

olevetonahill
8/23/2006, 09:36 PM
I STRONGLY agree with this initiative. All schools should be pushing this agenda. The NU model for fan behavior is BY FAR the best in the country.
There ya go
Nebish = throat slash. F--ing hillbillies, Player in full pads smackng the **** out of a rufnek ! Your on to something :texan:
Dumass

sanantoniosooner
8/23/2006, 09:40 PM
There ya go
Nebish = throat slash. F--ing hillbillies, Player in full pads smackng the **** out of a rufnek ! Your on to something :texan:
Dumass
NU banked a lot of good will prior to Callyhan.

I don't hate them, but Cally can KMA.

olevetonahill
8/23/2006, 09:46 PM
NU banked a lot of good will prior to Callyhan.

I don't hate them, but Cally can KMA.
"prior " was the correct term :)
These :texan: s seem to think that "after" is good
So to me :texan: = dumass ;)

sooneron
8/23/2006, 10:02 PM
All I want to know is, does this mean that uterus fans won't be the arrogant pricks that they have been raised to be? I doubt it. There will always be little spoiled ****eheads in dallas wearing baby **** orange polo shirts with designer jeans and ropers. They will always get red faced when thar daddy's whorns don't win that day!!! Then, they'll start some trailer smack or yell out "We have the alamo!!!" Like their little ***** asses were the ones that actually defended it.

Statalyzer
8/23/2006, 10:57 PM
every fan is different, but i spend all my "yelling energy" on MY TEAM....i've never understood the whole "yell and boo at the other team"....

Me neither. I might chant something to make fun of the opponents, but I don't see why you boo them just for showing up at the game...if they didn't show up, there wouldn't be a game to watch.

Good sportsmanship is a good thing.

I've never thought it necessary to be an arse to show my pride as a Sooner.

I think every school could use a bit more class. There will always be bad apples out there -- the important thing is that we shun 'em. Not join 'em, or egg 'em on.

Well said. I think a big difference is whether its a chant directed at the entire game or whether you are rubbing it in to a specific fan/group of fans.

I will yell "POOOOOOOOOR AGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIES" at the field when playing A&M, but I won't go up to an A&M fan and scream it at him.

Octavian
8/24/2006, 01:17 AM
...I will drink beer, martinis and smoke cigars with you before and after the game...

Ahh...nuthin' like sippin' on a stiff martini in a parking lot before the big match while exchanging homoerotic glances w/ college boys on another golden Saturday afternoon in Austin...

We're Texas :texan:

Octavian
8/24/2006, 01:21 AM
Then, they'll start some trailer smack or yell out "We have the alamo!!!" Like their little ***** asses were the ones that actually defended it.

Texans defended the Alamo like the Vichy Government defended France.

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2006, 08:57 AM
Ahh...nuthin' like sippin' on a stiff martini in a parking lot before the big match while exchanging homoerotic glances w/ college boys on another golden Saturday afternoon in Austin...

We're Texas :texan:

Actually... get to the Texas - OU game about 4 hours before it starts with about 3 -4 other couples... park in a lot, break out the grill.. throw some steaks on it... spicy bloody marys first.... some good cabernet with the steaks... martinis, light up your first cigar of the day... go to the State Fair... get your corny dogs.. pound a beer or two... hang at the Texas Ex pre-game party... look for Howzit, JK... flask of Maker's Mark at the game... greatness.

Oh course.. those 11 a.m. starts were a true blue beyotch.

Herr Scholz
8/24/2006, 10:07 AM
Actually... get to the Texas - OU game about 4 hours before it starts with about 3 -4 other couples... park in a lot, break out the grill.. throw some steaks on it... spicy bloody marys first.... some good cabernet with the steaks... martinis, light up your first cigar of the day... go to the State Fair... get your corny dogs.. pound a beer or two... hang at the Texas Ex pre-game party... look for Howzit, JK... flask of Maker's Mark at the game... greatness.

Wow, big time!

Here's mine: wake up and pound a couple of bloodies just to feel right from the night before (usually up until 4:00 or so). Pound beers on the way to the Cotton Bowl (secret back way). Have two corn dogs. Pound approximately 10 beers in the nice paper cups before the game. Flask of Jack. Pound approximately 10 more paper cup beers after the game.

Drunk during a win or a loss. Either you're celebrating or commiserating. Beer is always a friend though.

Big Red Ron
8/24/2006, 01:49 PM
Get a room you two.

Herr Scholz
8/24/2006, 01:58 PM
Get a room you two.
Let's hear your gameday ritual.

caphorns
8/24/2006, 02:12 PM
There ya go
Dumass

I'm speaking of fan behavior, not coaches and players. Maybe the fans have changed, but probably not. They are the friendliest fans to visit at their home stadium in the country. And it's spelled Dumars anyway.

Big Red Ron
8/24/2006, 02:19 PM
Let's hear your gameday ritual.

1) "Hit" my red hot smokin' wife.
2) Get my favorit OU hat on.
3) Get to Owen Field approx. one hour before kick off.
4) Drink a couple of cold beers on Campus Corner.
5) Go home and "hit" my red hot smokin' wife again.

Octavian
8/24/2006, 02:21 PM
I'm speaking of fan behavior, not coaches and players. Maybe the fans have changed, but probably not. They are the friendliest fans to visit at their home stadium in the country. And it's spelled Dumars anyway.

I wonder if Kejuan felt that way when he was dodging water bottles after scoring the go-ahead TD last year in Lincoln....

No, they do have a very good fanbase (and they constantly remind you of such w/ inscriptions on their stadium, over the loudspeakers...) but they were a whole lot more dignified when they were running roughshod over the rest of the conference.

Flagstaffsooner
8/24/2006, 02:22 PM
Actually... get to the OU - texass game about 4 hours before it starts with about 3 -4 other queers... park in a secluded lot, break out the anal-lube.. throw some meat on it... spicy bloody Harrys first.... some good caberet with the meats... weenies, light up your first crack of the day... go to the State Fair... get your horny dogs.. pound a crack-teen or two... hang at the texass Ex-Lax pre-game party... look for Howzit, JK... flash a man named Mark at the game... greatness.

What he really meant to say.:D ;)

caphorns
8/24/2006, 02:24 PM
I wonder if Kejuan felt that way when he was dodging water bottles after scoring the go-ahead TD last year in Lincoln....

No, they do have a very good fanbase (and they constantly remind you of such w/ inscriptions on their stadium, over the loudspeakers...) but they were a whole lot more dignified when they were running roughshod over the rest of the conference.

They were alot more dignified when Tom and not Cally was in charge. That's pretty much all there is to it. I guess I'm not surprised that the younger fans would take after their coach and thug players. Used to not be that way.

Octavian
8/24/2006, 02:25 PM
agreed

Luthor
8/24/2006, 03:24 PM
The RRS is not actually a football game. Cage matches are exempt from the "Be Nice To Each Other" rules that otherwise apply. We'll be nice to the greasie hat, tractor mechanics that show up on Sept 9th even though they don't deserve it.