PDA

View Full Version : OU reports recruiting violations - ESPN

mrowl
8/23/2006, 09:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2558080

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma has self-reported three secondary violations of NCAA bylaws by its football team, including one in which graduate assistants improperly provided transportation to a prospect during his official visit.

The university reported to the NCAA that one graduate assistant provided the recruit with transportation to the university and another returned the recruit home. Because the recruit lived more than 30 miles from Oklahoma's Norman campus, the transportation was a violation of NCAA rules, Oklahoma said.

In a letter to the NCAA, Oklahoma compliance officials said the violation was inadvertant and occurred because "the prospect suddenly needed a ride to his official visit."

Oklahoma said the other violations occurred when a prospect spoke twice by telephone with a former Sooners football player and when a prospect from Oklahoma City stopped by a Sooners practice unannounced during a dead period for recruiting was immediately asked to leave by coach Bob Stoops.

Oklahoma's reporting of the violations was included in a report released by the university Tuesday regarding an investigation into the dismissal of two football players who broke NCAA rules by accepting pay for work they did not perform at a Norman car dealership.

caphorns
8/23/2006, 09:32 AM
The transport issue is something that bothers me. We've had a recruit with transport issues and I think it's stupid that schools can't just pay his way for at least 1 unofficial visit. To me allowing this in the summer is LESS intrusive of their classwork. The NCAA should change the rules on this.

JohnnyMack
8/23/2006, 09:49 AM
I think the NCAA can suck my balls.

OUGreg723
8/23/2006, 09:50 AM
I dont think we will be harmed by this.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/23/2006, 09:51 AM
Weza gonna get slapped, but good. These little piddly things wouldn't amount to a hill o' beans if the whole BRSI thinkg hadn't occurred. But the fact that it did in conjunction with the Peterson incident AND all these nit-picks is probably going to result in the NCAA coming back with a "Glad you're not as loosey-goosey as you used to be, but if you were really doing it right these things wouldn't happen at all."

Bet we lose a bunch of visiting rights and 'bout 10 scholies... and that is gonna hurt.

Widescreen
8/23/2006, 09:53 AM
The NCAA is only the slightest bit better than the ACLU.

JohnnyMack
8/23/2006, 09:54 AM
Weza gonna get slapped, but good. These little piddly things wouldn't amount to a hill o' beans if the whole BRSI thinkg hadn't occurred. But the fact that it did in conjunction with the Peterson incident AND all these nit-picks is probably going to result in the NCAA coming back with a "Glad you're not as loosey-goosey as you used to be, but if you were really doing it right these things wouldn't happen at all."

Bet we lose a bunch of visiting rights and 'bout 10 scholies... and that is gonna hurt.

Practice run?

boomersooner28
8/23/2006, 10:53 AM
Are we the only school that actually reports these minor violations? :mad: Or we the only school that actually screws up? :rolleyes:

caphorns
8/23/2006, 10:58 AM
Most schools are painfully aware of the transport rules. That one is boneheaded. But if it was 31 miles, not a big deal. 100/200 miles = big deal.

RedstickSooner
8/23/2006, 11:15 AM
What exactly do they mean by provided transportation?

Like, someone from the program drove out, and drove the kid where he needed to go?

So long as we didn't, say, hire a limo -- that really shouldn't even be worthy of self-reporting. The NCAA needs to include a "common sense" clause, or something.

tulsaoilerfan
8/23/2006, 11:18 AM
The NCAA is full of piddly bullsh-t rules and they need to get in there and redo most of the rules and regulations; do they really think that giving a prospect a ride(unless it's in a limo full of hookers) is really that bad?

FlatheadSooner
8/23/2006, 12:01 PM
The NCAA needs to include a "common sense" clause, or something.

One word: Oxymoron

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/23/2006, 04:26 PM
Most schools are painfully aware of the transport rules. That one is boneheaded. But if it was 31 miles, not a big deal. 100/200 miles = big deal.

less than that...