PDA

View Full Version : It's official!

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 09:22 AM
With 36 games remaining, the Tigers are assured of their first .500 season since 1993. I'm a little misty.

GDC
8/23/2006, 02:01 PM
I've always kind of liked the Tigers, especially back in the Trammell-Whittaker days.

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 03:04 PM
Congrats to your team! Feels good doesn't it? Hanging with your guys thru the crappy years...good for you.

Thanks! Hopefully in October I can party like it's 1984.

Salt City Sooner
8/23/2006, 05:09 PM
If Leyland is not the UNANIMOUS choice for M.O.Y then somebody's drinking some dang good stuff.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 07:49 PM
If Leyland is not the UNANIMOUS choice for M.O.Y then somebody's drinking some dang good stuff.
Oh, Leyland's a sure thing as the AL manager of the year. The only question will be who will finsh second.

BTW, Paperclip, whatever happened to Bobby Higginson? He's pretty much been a part of those Tiger teams over the past 13 teams and if he's not on the roster on the team that finally turned it around, it's kind of a shame then.

Scott D
8/23/2006, 08:07 PM
Oh, Leyland's a sure thing as the AL manager of the year. The only question will be who will finsh second.

BTW, Paperclip, whatever happened to Bobby Higginson? He's pretty much been a part of those Tiger teams over the past 13 teams and if he's not on the roster on the team that finally turned it around, it's kind of a shame then.

They got rid of Higginson a few years ago...I want to say when Trammell was brought on as manager. The guy was nothing more than a bloated contract off of one career year that was a contract year...kinda like the other 'bright spot' in the 'dark days' of Tony Clark.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 08:45 PM
They got rid of Higginson a few years ago...I want to say when Trammell was brought on as manager. The guy was nothing more than a bloated contract off of one career year that was a contract year...kinda like the other 'bright spot' in the 'dark days' of Tony Clark.
For some reason, I thought that Higginson was part of last year's Tigers or the 2004 edition. I guess I'll have to find out for myself.

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Higgy was on the 2004 team, but not last year. He never played on an above .500 team his entire career in Detroit.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Higgy was on the 2004 team, but not last year. He never played on an above .500 team his entire career in Detroit.
Hmmmmmmm, what does that tell you then? Higgy gone, Tigers better.

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 09:06 PM
Hmmmmmmm, what does that tell you then? Higgy gone, Tigers better.

Well, I don't know if that's exactly the reason. The pitching now is infinitely better than anything there when Higginson was playing. That being said, Magglio is an upgrade in right field.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 09:18 PM
Well, I don't know if that's exactly the reason. The pitching now is infinitely better than anything there when Higginson was playing. That being said, Magglio is an upgrade in right field.
But you have to think that right now, Higgy is saying to himself, "I played for this team for nearly 10 years and we didn't do squat and now that I'm not there anymore, they're good all of a sudden."

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, you'd think they would have lucked their way into a .500 record one time while he was there. I think we're just seeing again what an amazing GM Dave Dombrowski is.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/23/2006, 09:41 PM
Yeah, you'd think they would have lucked their way into a .500 record one time while he was there. I think we're just seeing again what an amazing GM Dave Dombrowski is.
I wasn't sold on Dombrowski at first; I thought he got too much of the credit at Florida when it was largely due in part to Huizenga's wallet. But yes, he has done a good job of finding players, both by drafting and by trades and the free agent route.
BTW, does your team have more ex-Rangers than any other team in the bigs? You've got the Gambler, Pudge, Craig Monroe, Marcus Thames and Colby Lewis on the squad.

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 09:44 PM
BTW, does your team have more ex-Rangers than any other team in the bigs? You've got the Gambler, Pudge, Craig Monroe, Marcus Thames and Colby Lewis on the squad.

This is the thing that scares me. ;)

GDC
8/24/2006, 07:43 AM

Torre deserves it more than Leyland.

GrapevineSooner
8/24/2006, 09:13 AM
I kinda see your point in a Phil Jackson sort of way, gdc. And I've always admired Torre as a Red Sox fan.

But I have to respectfully disagree and use the 'Leyland doesn't have a $200 million payroll to work with'.

I think that pro far outweighs the con of having to manage a clubhouse full of potential egos and star players.

Salt City Sooner
8/24/2006, 09:40 AM
"Torre deserves it more than Leyland."
The homer in me would LOVE to agree with that, since IMO, only the '96 out of the blue season would even come close to topping the job JT's done this year, but there's no way I can. Leyland's got the Tigers out in front of the defending champs by the same margin as the Yanks are in front of Boston, Detroit's got the best record in the game, & with a few exceptions, they've been doing it with a team that is largely unknown to the average fan (i.e. Verlander, the guy had never won a game before this year & you can't have a '06 Cy Young Award conversation w/o his name being in the middle of it).

GDC
8/24/2006, 09:40 AM
I kinda see your point in a Phil Jackson sort of way, gdc. And I've always admired Torre as a Red Sox fan.

But I have to respectfully disagree and use the 'Leyland doesn't have a $200 million payroll to work with'.

I think that pro far outweighs the con of having to manage a clubhouse full of potential egos and star players.

A big part of that payroll hasn't been available most of the season, that's why Torre deserves it, he has demonstrated amazing managerial acumen this year.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 10:14 AM
As someone who is only a casual baseball fan, I'd have to say that what Leyland done is more impressive than what Torre has done. Both have done admirably, but Leyland had much less to work with.

GDC
8/24/2006, 10:25 AM
The homer in me would LOVE to agree with that, since IMO, only the '96 out of the blue season would even come close to topping the job JT's done this year, but there's no way I can. Leyland's got the Tigers out in front of the defending champs by the same margin as the Yanks are in front of Boston, Detroit's got the best record in the game, & with a few exceptions, they've been doing it with a team that is largely unknown to the average fan (i.e. Verlander, the guy had never won a game before this year & you can't have a '06 Cy Young Award conversation w/o his name being in the middle of it).

Throw out Detroit's dominance of the hapless Royals and you get a different picture. I'll always be a homer for the Yankees and Sooners, with no apologies. So I'll just agree to the extent that Leyland deserves to be runner-up to Torre.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 11:01 AM
Throw out Detroit's dominance of the hapless Royals and you get a different picture. I'll always be a homer for the Yankees and Sooners, with no apologies. So I'll just agree to the extent that Leyland deserves to be runner-up to Torre.

Because TB is sssooo much better than the Royals?

GDC
8/24/2006, 12:34 PM
Because TB is sssooo much better than the Royals?

Seven games better, in the loss column.

Scott D
8/24/2006, 01:31 PM
For some reason, I thought that Higginson was part of last year's Tigers or the 2004 edition. I guess I'll have to find out for myself.

Bobby Higginson (born Robert Leigh Higginson on August 18, 1970 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is a former outfielder in Major League Baseball who played his entire career for the Detroit Tigers. He has a career batting average of .272. He attended Temple University.

Higginson was drafted by the Tigers in the 12th round of the 1992 draft. His rookie year was 1995 when he played 130 games for the Tigers. Higginson batted .300 in 1996 and 2000, scored over 100 runs in 2000 and drove in over 100 runs in 1997 and 2000. His career high of 30 home-runs came also in 2000. At his best, he was considered one of the better-fielding outfielders in baseball. He twice led the majors in outfield assists.

As of 2006, Higginson's baseball career has ended. After injury limited him to 10 games in 2005, he was removed from the Tigers' 40-man roster before the season ended. At age 35 and with his best years far behind him, he was unsigned by another team. Higginson is now a partner in a limousine company in Oakland County, Michigan and divides his time between Michigan and Florida.

and thus the mystery is solved....on a side note they tried to deal him to the Phillies in 2004.

GDC
8/30/2006, 01:04 PM
Reminder:

Yankee/Tiger double header today, good pitching duel right now.

r5TPsooner
8/30/2006, 03:48 PM
Tigers will sweep K-Rod and the Yanks.

Salt City Sooner
8/30/2006, 03:57 PM
Nate looked good today. He got in a few jams, but was able to pitch out of them very well. Detroit just ran into a buzzsaw today. I certainly wouldn't have said it at the start of the year, but the guy has to be mentioned in the Cy Young race now. I still think Halladay & Santana have a slight edge due mainly to Wang's higher ERA & lack of strikeouts (how the HECK is he this good but only averaging 1 K for every 3 innings is beyond me), but he's definitely in the thick of it.

r5TPsooner
8/30/2006, 09:33 PM
If i'm a fan of the opposing team playing the Yanks, I'm very happy to see Proctor in the game. He always seems to give up a dinger every game.

Paperclip
8/30/2006, 10:00 PM
Thank you Craig Monroe!!

Cam
8/30/2006, 10:18 PM
Hey, the Royals are going to win over 50 games this year. 50 games man, gotta give it up to'em for that. :O

GDC
8/31/2006, 07:40 AM
Scott Proctor can go click some damn ads:mad:

r5TPsooner
8/31/2006, 11:10 AM
Proctor got proctologized.

Scott D
8/31/2006, 11:39 AM

after last night Torre deserves to be runner up to Buddy Bell.

Salt City Sooner
8/31/2006, 12:35 PM
after last night Torre deserves to be runner up to Buddy Bell.
I was thinking the same thing last night, but they just said on YES that Rivera's elbow has been bothering him enough that he had an MRI last night.

Scott D
8/31/2006, 04:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing last night, but they just said on YES that Rivera's elbow has been bothering him enough that he had an MRI last night.

I danno, I saw a Rivera that was ****ed off that he wasn't in there in the 9th in the second game in the bullpen. And his elbow looked plenty good today in the 9th.

Paperclip
8/31/2006, 04:14 PM
I danno, I saw a Rivera that was ****ed off that he wasn't in there in the 9th in the second game in the bullpen. And his elbow looked plenty good today in the 9th.

So did Seth McClung's. :D

Some nice, unexpected help from the Rays and Royals this week.

r5TPsooner
8/31/2006, 05:27 PM
If The Yanks lose Mariano kiss the season bye-bye.

Salt City Sooner
8/31/2006, 09:22 PM
It came back negative, just a strained muscle. Just saying I can't blame Torre when he didn't know the medical status of the elbow last night. When you've got an 8 game lead this late in the year & your closest competition is reeling the way Boston is, better safe than sorry. Like I said before, it irked me to the nth degree at the time, but in hindsight, I'd have done the same thing. They CAN'T afford to lose Rivera.

r5TPsooner
8/31/2006, 09:24 PM
One thing is for sure, you can stick a fork in the Red Sox because they are done, and getting rid of Wells should have come about two months ago.