PDA

View Full Version : Scientists develop permanently happy mice

crawfish
8/23/2006, 08:39 AM
Ever-happy mice may hold key to new treatment of depression (http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/ever-happy-mice-may-hold-key-to-new-treatment-of-depression-11343.html)

A new breed of permanently 'cheerful' mouse is providing hope of a new treatment for clinical depression. TREK-1 is a gene that can affect transmission of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is known to play an important role in mood, sleep and sexuality. By breeding mice with an absence of TREK-1, researchers were able create a depression-resistant strain. The details of this research, which involved an international collaboration with scientists from the University of Nice, France, are published in Nature Neuroscience this week.

"Depression is a devastating illness, which affects around 10% of people at some point in their life," says Dr. Guy Debonnel an MUHC psychiatrist, professor in the Department of Psychiatry at McGill University, and principal author of the new research. "Current medications for clinical depression are ineffective for a third of patients, which is why the development of alternate treatments is so important."

Mice without the TREK-1 gene ('knock-out' mice) were created and bred in collaboration with Dr. Michel Lazdunski, co-author of the research, in his laboratory at the University of Nice, France. "These 'knock-out' mice were then tested using separate behavioral, electrophysiological and biochemical measures known to gauge 'depression' in animals," says Dr. Debonnel. "The results really surprised us; our 'knock-out' mice acted as if they had been treated with antidepressants for at least three weeks."

This research represents the first time depression has been eliminated through genetic alteration of an organism. "The discovery of a link between TREK-1 and depression could ultimately lead to the development of a new generation of antidepressant drugs," noted Dr. Debonnel.

According to Health Canada and Statistics Canada, approximately 8% of Canadians will suffer from depression at some point in their lifetime. Around 5% of Canadians seek medical advice for depression each year; a figure that has almost doubled in the past decade. Figures in the U.S. are comparable, with approximately 18.8 million American adults (about 9.5% of the population) suffering depression during their life.

There is a good joke here somewhere, but it's just not coming to me.

OUDoc
8/23/2006, 08:42 AM
Permanently cheerful people p!ss me off. :mad:

Czar Soonerov
8/23/2006, 08:44 AM
Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking. Just a moment.

Fugue
8/23/2006, 08:52 AM
Somewhere Richard Gere has his fingers crossed that this technology can be applied to gerbils to get them through the dark times.

IB4OU2
8/23/2006, 08:55 AM
http://home.earthlink.net/~kimberlyerickson/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/happymouse.jpg

crawfish
8/23/2006, 09:02 AM
I never knew Shatner had so much to do with depression.

BeetDigger
8/23/2006, 09:07 AM
I think the key lies in this statement:

Serotonin is known to play an important role in mood, sleep and sexuality.

Either this Trek-1 removes any need for sex or makes sure that the mice get plenty of it. One or the other. Either way, I know understand why the mice were so happy. :D

OUstudent4life
8/23/2006, 09:25 AM
...because gene therapy on the brain will work SO well.

Gah.

crawfish
8/23/2006, 10:20 AM
I never knew Shatner had so much to do with depression.

Nope, that wasn't it. :O