PDA

View Full Version : Seen on another board where Jerry Bomar is starting to whine about Rhett

usmc-sooner
8/23/2006, 07:54 AM
on a TV interview says Rhett got bad advice. Also says he was just caught up in the rock star atmosphere being an OU football player. He further says that he has talked to other college coaches who have said they wouldn't have taken such drastic actions like Stoops.

Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

BermudaSooner
8/23/2006, 07:58 AM
I don't doubt that many coaches would not have taken the drastic steps that Stoops took. I bet the average coach would have given anywhere from a 4-5 game suspension to a full year.

My hope is that Stoops' actions are good enough for the NCAA. Without the threat of NCAA sanctions, I would assume that a year's suspension would have been good enough to teach the kid a lesson. It sure seemed to shape up Dusty.

n8v_ndn
8/23/2006, 08:07 AM
I don't doubt that many coaches would not have taken the drastic steps that Stoops took. I bet the average coach would have given anywhere from a 4-5 game suspension to a full year.

My hope is that Stoops' actions are good enough for the NCAA. Without the threat of NCAA sanctions, I would assume that a year's suspension would have been good enough to teach the kid a lesson. It sure seemed to shape up Dusty.

Exactly dude...exactly

fadada1
8/23/2006, 08:14 AM
"bad advice"???? what a putz.

"hey rhett, here's this job where you don't have to work to get paid. btw, and you already know this, but it's against NCAA rules. good luck and don't get caught."

his dad is a dumb as he is.

VolinArizona
8/23/2006, 08:46 AM
on a TV interview says Rhett got bad advice. Also says he was just caught up in the rock star atmosphere being an OU football player. He further says that he has talked to other college coaches who have said they wouldn't have taken such drastic actions like Stoops.

Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Sports parents these days ... Jesus H. Christ.

Jerry Bomar seems like the kind of sports dad who would walk the best hitter in a 10 year old little league game so they could pitch to the cancer-stricken kid.

soonerlaw
8/23/2006, 08:55 AM
I'm sure Stoops was looking at his overall body of work.. the MIP's, the nuisance party, and his attitude on the team. All this coupled with something blatantly illegal that went on for a period of time left him no choice. I'm sure if he thought the kid was worth salvaging, or just made an honest mistake (AKA Justin Gatlin :) ), he would have gone a different avenue.

fadada1
8/23/2006, 08:58 AM

Jerry Bomar seems like the kind of sports dad who would walk the best hitter in a 10 year old little league game so they could pitch to the cancer-stricken kid.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7259/sportovo2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

WIN!!! WIN!!!! WIN!!!!

Soonerwolf
8/23/2006, 09:03 AM

"hey rhett, here's this job where you don't have to work to get paid. btw, and you already know this, but it's against NCAA rules. good luck and don't get caught."

I read on ESPN that Rhett and JD knew they were being paid for work not performed. Of the several players working at Big Red last season, only these two were punched in when thier schedules showed that they were at classes or practice.

If Bomar did get bad advice - were did he get it from? The football program would not have given him such advise.

Jerry Bomar needs to ID his sources and stop trying to make Rhett look like a victim instead of a punk. AD is more of a "rock star" than Bomar, yet his head is level. Jerry - get a grip - your son made it easy for dismissal by stupid public alcohol charges and that fact that not many of his teammates even liked him off the field.
:twinkies:

BermudaSooner
8/23/2006, 09:16 AM
All this coupled with something blatantly illegal

What makes it illegal if his employer knew (and possibly even encouraged them) to bill for time not worked? Can't I, as an employer, choose to pay an employee when he isn't there? If the guys were doing it without BRSI's knowledge (highly unlikely) then I can see the illegality, but consentual shouldn't make it illegal.

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 09:21 AM
What makes it illegal if his employer knew (and possibly even encouraged them) to bill for time not worked? Can't I, as an employer, choose to pay an employee when he isn't there? If the guys were doing it without BRSI's knowledge (highly unlikely) then I can see the illegality, but consentual shouldn't make it illegal.

So... if we both agree to cheat, it isn't really cheating???? :rolleyes:

crimson&cream
8/23/2006, 09:24 AM

His Dad is his problem.

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 09:33 AM

That's not what he said. Read it again.

caphorns
8/23/2006, 09:35 AM
It's not illegal for a private employer to overcompensate employees. It's against NCAA Rules. Now if they were tax dodging or hiding compensation expenses from shareholders - different story.

SCOUT
8/23/2006, 09:35 AM

Cheating and illegal are different. Aren't you an attorney?

crimson&cream
8/23/2006, 09:36 AM
I read on ESPN that Rhett and JD knew they were being paid for work not performed. Of the several players working at Big Red last season, only these two were punched in when thier schedules showed that they were at classes or practice.

If Bomar did get bad advice - were did he get it from? The football program would not have given him such advise.

Jerry Bomar needs to ID his sources and stop trying to make Rhett look like a victim instead of a punk. AD is more of a "rock star" than Bomar, yet his head is level. Jerry - get a grip - your son made it easy for dismissal by stupid public alcohol charges and that fact that not many of his teammates even liked him off the field.
:twinkies:
I think I posted this before. IN 1994 NSU won the NAIA NC then the next yr played for the NC again but got their butts beat by Central Ohio which had a couple of ex OU players that got in trouble at OU and helped Swizter out the door.
Anyway, Coach Eckert had dismissed 6/7/8 starters off the te 95 team at the start of the season for team violations. He told them something in the order of- I'm am your coach not your parent. I'm here to coach you and make you a better player. You should have learned from your parents or guardians right and wrong, being responsible, and how to be a good person before you ever stepped foot on NSU campus. I'm not here to be your parent they should already taught you these things. I heard about all this on the post game show as I drove home from that game.
Somebody needs to tell Rhetts Father that.

jwlynn64
8/23/2006, 09:37 AM

I think that the operational word is "illegal".

Is it unethical? Yes. Was it right to do? No. Is it against NCAA rules? Yes. Is is against the law? Probably not.

If it were illegal, Rhett would be facing criminal charges in a court of law.

homerxsimpson
8/23/2006, 09:37 AM

What does violating an NCAA rule have to do with the Criminal Justice System?

Aren't you supposed to be a lawyer?

BermudaSooner
8/23/2006, 09:39 AM
It's not illegal for a private employer to overcompensate employees. It's against NCAA Rules. Now if they were tax dodging or hiding compensation expenses from shareholders - different story.

Agreed. At least one horn can read.

Lidig8r, I'm guessing you went to UT law school? ;)

Lubbock
8/23/2006, 10:37 AM
For everyone dogging TL8r, he is not the one who referred to the activity as illegal. TL8r corrected the diction (originated by soonerlaw)to cheating in his response. Blaming him for an error of somone else's that he corrected is a tad silly. Of course, as stated above, the actions might have been illegal depending on certain facts not currently available to us (financial aid forms, etc).

GDC
8/23/2006, 10:48 AM
The whorns shouldn't be on this board commenting on any of this anyway, their drivel and flaming should be restricted to their own boards.

Herr Scholz
8/23/2006, 10:51 AM

That was Pony League. They were like 13 or 14. Fair game as far as I'm concerned. ;)

caphorns
8/23/2006, 10:56 AM
I think we're all curious to see where Jerry goes with this at some point gdc. He's not all that credible to most Texas fans. But, a part of me probably wants to see what crap he comes up with.

So Jerry - Bad advice? Uh. Who from?

rainiersooner
8/23/2006, 11:12 AM

The NCAA makes it illegal. And they make the rules. It's as simple as that.

tulsaoilerfan
8/23/2006, 11:20 AM
Jerry Bomar=Marv Marinovich, maybe worse

RedstickSooner
8/23/2006, 11:22 AM
Without the threat of NCAA sanctions, I would assume that a year's suspension would have been good enough to teach the kid a lesson. It sure seemed to shape up Dusty.

Er... Stoops didn't suspend Dusty for a year.

He kicked him off the team.

Dusty then worked his butt off, faced his demons, convinced Stoops to allow him back onto the team, and then Stoops and Dusty petitioned the NCAA for another year of eligibility so Dusty'd be able to play again.

That's why I find it a bit interesting that Bomar hasn't ever even broached the possibility of trying to win his way back onto the team -- either he doesn't feel up to the task, or Stoops told him when he booted him that he shouldn't even try.

I doubt Stoops would tell a kid not to try, but I could be wrong there.

Since other kids have been allowed by other coaches to pay back unearned money and then play, I wouldn't be totally aghast if Bomar did the same thing... But he clearly didn't have an interest. Or, at least, that's how it looks to me.

If he was really stoked about being a Sooner, and about being part of the team, why not try to make it back?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/23/2006, 11:22 AM

The problem you forget to mention is the NCAA. As an employee, I could pay anyone anything I wanted as long as I fill in the time cards and pay the "gubment" its due, otherwise, who cares if I pay a guy $100 an hour and another $200??? However, most employees and employers don't have the NCAA breathing down their necks. This is about violating a rule approved by a "club" and to stay in said club and enjoy the privledges, you can't break this rule...

Agree with earlier post, if no NCAA strutiny, then possibly Bomar stays. However, this was so blatant, it couldn't be overlooked...How do you explain clocking in while at practice?

RedstickSooner
8/23/2006, 11:24 AM
The NCAA makes it illegal. And they make the rules. It's as simple as that.

No, they don't.

The NCAA isn't a local, state, or Federal government. They are not empowered to pass laws.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/23/2006, 11:27 AM
No, they don't.

The NCAA isn't a local, state, or Federal government. They are not empowered to pass laws.

Not laws, but rules that member institutions MUST follow or suffer said "club's" wrath...

jwlynn64
8/23/2006, 11:41 AM
For everyone dogging TL8r, he is not the one who referred to the activity as illegal. TL8r corrected the diction (originated by soonerlaw)to cheating in his response. Blaming him for an error of somone else's that he corrected is a tad silly. Of course, as stated above, the actions might have been illegal depending on certain facts not currently available to us (financial aid forms, etc).

Sorry, the quote that TL8r references is actually making the point that it wasn't illegal if his employer told him to do that. His point was in reference to an earlier post calling Bomar's actions blatantly illegal.

The switch to the word cheat was a cheap debating trick of accusing your opponent of saying something he didn't say and then arguing the new point. This is generally not known as "correcting".

RedstickSooner
8/23/2006, 11:45 AM
Not laws, but rules that member institutions MUST follow or suffer said "club's" wrath...

Absolutely - I just think some fans get confuzzled when "illegal" starts to get thrown around -- and forget that the "voluntary" nature of the NCAA clouds everything associated with the situation. Particularly, I believe, when it comes to investigation -- investigating a rules violation isn't like a criminal investigation. It depends a lot more on co-operation than a criminal investigation, with the power to compel testimony and seize evidence, does.

SouthFortySooner
8/23/2006, 01:06 PM
"No whining"- John Irving

GDC
8/23/2006, 01:16 PM
I say do away with the NCAA, and if it's not illegal it's fine.

soonerlaw
8/23/2006, 01:31 PM
Sorry to cause the confusion; when I said RB did something "blatantly illegal" I meant he did something that was blatantly and explicitly against the NCAA rules, not illegal as in criminal.

I do agree with gdc to an extent, something needs to be done about the NCAA. In the report sumbitted to the NCAA, OU apparently had to report a violation where they gave a recruit who lost transportation at the last minute a ride to the school for his visit. Because the ride was over 30 miles, it was a violation. That's just an example that their rules are too broad and over emcompassing.

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 02:32 PM

Jebus.. friggin' hillbillies.

The NCAA has rules and regulations in place... we can probably agree that there are FAR too many rules and regulations in place.

Let's look at the "legality" aspect. Suppose, hypothetically, an employer consistently pays an employee for not working, even though said employee purportedly clocks in. What are those "wages" considered? They are not regular income earned. If money is given for no effort or services performed, arguably, they could be taxed under the "gift tax" provisions of the IRS Code. The IRS defines it as such:

Q: What is the gift tax?
The gift tax is a tax on the transfer of property by one individual to another while receiving nothing, or less than full value, in return. The tax applies whether the donor intends the transfer to be a gift or not.

Gift taxes are not taxed at the same rate as withholding or social security. From a "legality" point of view, the dealership, as the Donor, may have some tax issues.

Now, is the paying for services not performed a violation of the NCAA Bylaws, more specifically, NCAA Bylaws 13.2.1, 15.1.1, 15.2.6, 15.2.6.1.1 and 16.12.2.1 ? Of course it is.

According to Stoops, the student athletes at OU are told what they can do and what they can't.. they are told how to report their hours and pay rate to compliance. If OU's Compliance Dept is like UT's department, then they require the employer to register with the department and employers are given a list of requirements, rules and regulations.

As for "Cheating,".... it is defined as dictionary.com accordingly...

2 results for: cheating

American Heritage Dictionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=00-database-info&db=ahd4) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?pt=cheating&ia=ahd4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch %3Fq%3Dcheating%26x%3D34%26y%3D10) new! cheat (chhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/emacr.gift) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3 Fq%3Dcheating%26x%3D34%26y%3D10) http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/premium.gif
v. cheat·ed, cheat·ing, cheats
v. tr.
To deceive by trickery; swindle: cheated customers by overcharging them for purchases.
To deprive by trickery; defraud: cheated them of their land.
To mislead; fool: illusions that cheat the eye.
To elude; escape: cheat death.v. intr.
To act dishonestly; practice fraud.
To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.
Informal. To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.
[emphasis added]

From a technical, logical and moral perspective, what Big Red, Bomar and Quinn (you notice I did NOT say Stoops or the OU Administration or Compliance Dept).. did was to cheat.. they knew what they were doing violated NCAA bylaws but did it anyway.

My initial statement was accurate and the word games among illegality, violation of rules and cheating are in essence, one and the same..all are designed to obtain an unfair advantage.

Paperclip
8/23/2006, 02:35 PM
But the Gift Tax exemption in 2005 was $11,000. The amount is under that.

SoonerBeau
8/23/2006, 02:46 PM
I have seen nothing to indicate that Bomar broke any laws. Moreover, I don't believe it is unethical or immoral to accept payment above what is earned if one's employer knowningly and willing provides such payment. It is, however, an NCAA violation, and as such, endangers both a player's and his team's future. One could certainly arguing that breaking the NCAA rules and putting one's team at risk is immoral or unethical. But in the absence of any NCAA prohibitions, I don't see that there is anything inherently wrong with accepting excess pay.

Herr Scholz
8/23/2006, 02:52 PM
I accept excess pay over and beyond what I contribute to my company every single day. I have no problem with it. I exhausted my football eligibility many moons ago though.

tru2ou
8/23/2006, 02:54 PM
That was Pony League. They were like 13 or 14. Fair game as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Actually they were 10, here's the link. Research before you post...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17058113&BRD=1718&PAG=461&dept_id=74408&rfi=6

- Tru

Herr Scholz
8/23/2006, 02:56 PM
Actually they were 10, here's the link. Research before you post...

Why start now? ;)

yermom
8/23/2006, 03:01 PM
Er... Stoops didn't suspend Dusty for a year.

He kicked him off the team.

Dusty then worked his butt off, faced his demons, convinced Stoops to allow him back onto the team, and then Stoops and Dusty petitioned the NCAA for another year of eligibility so Dusty'd be able to play again.

That's why I find it a bit interesting that Bomar hasn't ever even broached the possibility of trying to win his way back onto the team -- either he doesn't feel up to the task, or Stoops told him when he booted him that he shouldn't even try.

I doubt Stoops would tell a kid not to try, but I could be wrong there.

Since other kids have been allowed by other coaches to pay back unearned money and then play, I wouldn't be totally aghast if Bomar did the same thing... But he clearly didn't have an interest. Or, at least, that's how it looks to me.

If he was really stoked about being a Sooner, and about being part of the team, why not try to make it back?

i'm pretty sure Stoops and Co. said it permanent, with no chance to return

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 03:01 PM
Jerry Bomar=Marv Marinovich, maybe worse

I once saw Rhett eating a Big Mac, so Marv still wins.

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 03:04 PM
The problem you forget to mention is the NCAA. As an employee, I could pay anyone anything I wanted as long as I fill in the time cards and pay the "gubment" its due, otherwise, who cares if I pay a guy $100 an hour and another $200??? However, most employees and employers don't have the NCAA breathing down their necks. This is about violating a rule approved by a "club" and to stay in said club and enjoy the privledges, you can't break this rule...

Agree with earlier post, if no NCAA strutiny, then possibly Bomar stays. However, this was so blatant, it couldn't be overlooked...How do you explain clocking in while at practice?

Not necessarily true. I'm assuming that, since the amounts went on a W-2, they were deducted on a federal income tax return. Expenses deducted on taxes must meet ordinary and necessary business expenses. It is NOT legal to pay people for not doing work. Unreasonable compensation is specifically addressed by the IRS.

Nice try at maneuvering Lid, but you are off point. The gift tax law Lid is quoting applies only to individual taxpayers. Corporate gifts are limited to $25 per person. If a person is an employee, they cannot receive gifts that are not included in income. What they did may be illegal, but not because they voided gift taxes. (which are rarely paid. if you exceed the annual exclusion ($11,000 in 2005) the amount reduced the unified credit allowance deducted on the final estate tax return)

BermudaSooner
8/23/2006, 03:07 PM

This was your earlier post Lidig8r. Mine concerned the legalilty of the payments--refuting an earlier post stating that the payments were "blatantly illegal."

Of course it was cheating and against NCAA rules. I ran Div 1 track, (a sport where noone gets special privileges) and even I knew that what Bomar did was an NCAA violation as even in a non-revenue sport like track the rules are drilled in from day 1. I'm sure the OU AD drills in these rules to the athletes immediately.

As to a gift tax, since Bomar paid taxes on the income at ordinary income rates (or so I understand), then there is no gift tax issue. If the cash were given to Bomar and he didn't pay tax on it, BRSI could have issues if the amount was above $11,000 threshold. Your gift tax argument is smoke and mirrors to hide that your previous post was stupid--even for a UT lawyer. ;)

tru2ou
8/23/2006, 03:08 PM
Geez, my head is spinning like a top now and it reminds me of the joke...(sorry HMFIC).

What do you call 200 lawyers, with a chain around their necks, attached to a 10 ton weight at the bottom of the sea?

A good start...

- Tru

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 03:12 PM
As to a gift tax, since Bomar paid taxes on the income at ordinary income rates (or so I understand), then there is no gift tax issue. If the cash were given to Bomar and he didn't pay tax on it, BRSI could have issues if the amount was above $11,000 threshold. Your gift tax argument is smoke and mirrors to hide that your previous post was stupid--even for a UT lawyer. ;)

Gift tax laws do not apply to corporations. Corporations cannot deduct gifts in excess of $25. Employees cannot receive gifts of any significant value.

If I represented BRSI, I would argue that the payments were for celebrity endorsement, not simple hourly wage payments. That might get them out of tax trouble.

GDC
8/23/2006, 03:33 PM
Jebus.. friggin' hillbillies.

I cannot believe whorns are allowed to insult Sooners on a Sooner board.

FaninAma
8/23/2006, 03:44 PM

Lid, look deep into you burnt-orange, Darrel Royal-lovin', black-hearted attorney's soul ( if Beelzebub hasn't already taken possession) and tell me if you honestly feel Mack Brown would have done the same thing Stoops did in the same situation?

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 03:54 PM
I cannot believe whorns are allowed to insult Sooners on a Sooner board.

Give it a rest.

It has become a term of endearment on this board (at least for most). Besides, I wasn't insulting you and if I did, I would have to start with the "You're a Miner" mantra.

Perhaps if you spent more time reading and less time whining about the 2 or 3 Texas regulars on here you would understand that. :rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 03:59 PM
Lid, look deep into you burnt-orange, Darrel Royal-lovin', black-hearted attorney's soul ( if Beelzebub hasn't already taken possession) and tell me if you honestly feel Mack Brown would have done the same thing Stoops did in the same situation?

Fan, I don't know if any coach in America who wants to keep his job and keep the NCAA at bay wouldn't have done the same thing.

Stoops discovered that the violation of NCAA bylaws by Quinn and Bomar were not only blatant.. but, intentional and over an extended period of time. There was no misunderstanding or misinterpretation by the two young men. If Stoops had not taken the action he had (with the presumption that now the school can go to the NCAA and say, "See, not only did we not know about it, but when we discovered it, we took decisive action.") that would have increased the likelihood the NCAA would have come sniffing around.

With the recent K. Sampson mess, the questions regarding the Lexus incident, the fact that Bomar had proven himself to be a walking head case, the decision was rather simple.

(Oh.. I had my heart removed my third year in law school.)

FaninAma
8/23/2006, 11:28 PM
Fan, I don't know if any coach in America who wants to keep his job and keep the NCAA at bay wouldn't have done the same thing.

Stoops discovered that the violation of NCAA bylaws by Quinn and Bomar were not only blatant.. but, intentional and over an extended period of time. There was no misunderstanding or misinterpretation by the two young men. If Stoops had not taken the action he had (with the presumption that now the school can go to the NCAA and say, "See, not only did we not know about it, but when we discovered it, we took decisive action.") that would have increased the likelihood the NCAA would have come sniffing around.

With the recent K. Sampson mess, the questions regarding the Lexus incident, the fact that Bomar had proven himself to be a walking head case, the decision was rather simple.

(Oh.. I had my heart removed my third year in law school.)

I think your statement about Kelvin Sampson rings true. Take away his stupid @$$ed actions and I'm not sweating this little breech of NCAA etiquette at all.

My next question is how many D-1 coaches bury their heads in the sand and practice the old "don't ask don't tell" tactic about where their players are getting their cars and plasma TV's? How much you want to bet that there aren't at least a dozen current players at UT driving around a nicer set of wheels than the used BMW Petersen was investigated for?

And I know it's a big joke about the BOMC but I found it extremely interesting that there was no news about the Texas starter who basically beat another student into unconciouness until the legal proceedings were over and the punishment had been dealt out.

badger
8/24/2006, 01:07 AM
The fact that Jerry is being allowed to speak out on this... and has been speaking out about his son's career ever since he came to OU... that should show you that this was not a match made in heaven.

Ah well. Send the kid back to Texas. At least he's legal age now and can enjoy 6 point beer throughout the state.

olevetonahill
8/24/2006, 03:28 AM
STFU lid your making since
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

olevetonahill
8/24/2006, 03:38 AM
Idiots Gone ! Idiots History !
Now can we LOOK forward to THIS season ?
Lets leave this rb thing in the dust where it belongs !;)

GDC
8/24/2006, 07:42 AM
A day later, I still can't believe whorns are allowed to continually direct derogatory terms toward Sooners and continue raking the muck of recent history.

sooner94
8/24/2006, 08:48 AM
Why does California have so many so lawyers and New Jersey have so much toxic waste?

Because New Jersey had the first pick.;)

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2006, 09:07 AM
A day later, I still can't believe whorns are allowed to continually direct derogatory terms toward Sooners and continue raking the muck of recent history.

An OU fan started this thread. OU fans have posted about 90% of the posts on this thread.

Besides.. no derogatory terms were directed toward any Sooners on this thread. If those derogatory terms were directed toward you, I would've called you a Redman.. or a Miner.

Besides... shouldn't you be ready to cheer on your alma mater... ??

http://www.nsuok.edu/athletics/images/athletics.jpg

Congratulations though... you've now entered into two agreements with me in less than a year.. and breached both of them. You are consistent.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/24/2006, 09:37 AM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7259/sportovo2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

WIN!!! WIN!!!! WIN!!!!

Are you saying that Rhett taped some hairy dude's *** cheeks together?

GDC
8/24/2006, 09:38 AM
You've referred to Sooners with some variation of "effin hillbillies" at least twice in the last week. I'm a Sooner, therefore that's a personal attack. You are the one who violated the understanding we had, I merely pointed it out. In the above post you are making the attack even more personal, derogatory, and specific.

1stTimeCaller
8/24/2006, 09:47 AM
I'd like to publicly thank texaslidig8r for helping me look into a small possible legal matter. I've never met the guy in person and he's not a Sooner but he was gracious enough to help me out.

Thanks again, Lid for helping out someone you've never met and one whom cheers for your school's bitter rival.

GDC
8/24/2006, 09:51 AM
We're all touched and weepy, I'm sure.

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 09:51 AM
I'd like to publicly thank texaslidig8r for helping me look into a small possible legal matter. I've never met the guy in person and he's not a Sooner but he was gracious enough to help me out.

Thanks again, Lid for helping out someone you've never met and one whom cheers for your school's bitter rival.

Lid if you keep him OUT of prison, so help me god I'll come down there and run all your Zegna ties through a shredder.

badger
8/24/2006, 12:17 PM
An OU fan started this thread. OU fans have posted about 90% of the posts on this thread.

You and your facts have no place on this board! Be gone, honest lawyer! :D

Please, just go back to your usual "OU sucks, Texas rules" rant. It's easier to spew UT hate around when we're focused on your crappy team and not our former crappy players... and dad.

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2006, 12:23 PM
You've referred to Sooners with some variation of "effin hillbillies" at least twice in the last week. I'm a Sooner, therefore that's a personal attack. You are the one who violated the understanding we had, I merely pointed it out. In the above post you are making the attack even more personal, derogatory, and specific.

Nice try. The agreement was no personal attacks directed toward each other at all. As for "F'in' hillbillies.. not one time was this term, which has become a light-hearted aside to 99.9% of the posters on here, was this term directed at you and it certainly was not directed in a derogatory manner. I presumed you had the capacity to look at the context in which the statement is used.

Again, and as I previously pointed out...

". . . Give it a rest.

It has become a term of endearment on this board (at least for most). Besides, I wasn't insulting you and if I did, I would have to start with the "You're a Miner" mantra.

Perhaps if you spent more time reading and less time whining about the 2 or 3 Texas regulars on here you would understand that. :rolleyes:"

You first tested the boundaries of our "agreement" by making previous snide, little remarks to which I responded privately to you... you have now obviously decided to throw out the agreement completely, thereby keeping in line with your past conduct. Agreements obviously mean nothing to you. So be it.

You want to start it up again on here.. have at it.. I've never backed away from a good fight and certainly won't back down from a battle of wits with you (although it certainly won't be fair since you obviously only have half of yours.)

Now.. doesn't it feel better to have the natural order restored?

1stTimeCaller
8/24/2006, 12:24 PM
:pop:

Triumph
8/24/2006, 12:27 PM
Anyone who has a problem with "Lid" needs to grow up and calm down. I can also say that he gave me some great advice a few years ago when I was dealing with a problem.

Like a previous poster said, Lid didn't know me from Adam, and he took a good couple of hours out of his day to help this hillbilly out.

The man is all right with me.:texan: :texan: :texan: :texan:

GDC
8/24/2006, 12:29 PM
You've actually started threads lately with "effin hillbillies" in the title, as well as threads about the Bomar situation. Both cases are clearly beyond the boundaries that any truly respectful guest on this board would recognize and observe.

soonerinabilene
8/24/2006, 12:48 PM

i cant stand mack brown, but he did earn my respect when he kicked taylor off. i do think he would have done the same thing. mack and bob are both coaches that want clean programs, and have the guts to do whats right, unlike coaches like carrol and tressell.

footballfanatic
8/24/2006, 01:20 PM
I think your statement about Kelvin Sampson rings true. Take away his stupid @$$ed actions and I'm not sweating this little breech of NCAA etiquette at all.

My next question is how many D-1 coaches bury their heads in the sand and practice the old "don't ask don't tell" tactic about where their players are getting their cars and plasma TV's? How much you want to bet that there aren't at least a dozen current players at UT driving around a nicer set of wheels than the used BMW Petersen was investigated for?

And I know it's a big joke about the BOMC but I found it extremely interesting that there was no news about the Texas starter who basically beat another student into unconciouness until the legal proceedings were over and the punishment had been dealt out.

It does happen at UT, just as it happens at every big program. And it happens double at SEC schools.

caphorns
8/24/2006, 01:22 PM
I would try to moderate here but it's too fascinating to watch.

gdc has a point (regardless of the whipping he's about to take in this battle of whits). Lid ought to know he's poking at a beehive with a stick.

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2006, 02:01 PM
You've actually started threads lately with "effin hillbillies" in the title, as well as threads about the Bomar situation. Both cases are clearly beyond the boundaries that any truly respectful guest on this board would recognize and observe.

Geary again.. you may take "Effin Hillbillies" as an insult.. but almost two years after the fact when Callenburger used it in a derogatory way... the vast, vast majority of people on here do not. In fact, there have been NUMEROUS threads on the South Oval that have that very nom de guerre in the title. Logically, that leads one to believe that you have more of an issue with the messenger than the message. IF you are one of the very few people who still get seriously insulted by this harmless, tongue in cheek name, then, out of respect for the moderators, particularly the owner of this site, I will cease and desist from using that term in any thread title again and if you were genuinely insulted, you have my apologies.

As for the Bomar thread, if you go back and read the entire thread, the thread was intended, and successfully resulted in, some pretty insightful discussion on the situation. Most of the posters set forth some interesting points of view devoid of the then emotional rantings which seemed to be more prevalent, and the manner in which the situation was handled. I challenge you to find even one instance in that thread in which I insulted or derided Oklahoma. In fact, you seemed to be the only one who brought rank emotionalism into that thread. If you are not capable of looking at a situation, of dissecting it intellectually, and contributing intelligently, then, put me on ignore and don't read my posts.

I'm sure you will notice that as you were bashing the university that at least I attended, I did not respond in any manner. (although using your logic set forth above, in insulting Texas you were insulting me and thereby again, breached our agreement) When, however, you make direct derogatory remarks to or about me, or implications against me, I will respond and will respond strongly.

I suggest we resume our benign relationship and go back to status quo ante... and not, once again, clog up the board with our vitriole.

By the way.. what will our wager on the game be this year? :D

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 02:11 PM
gdc has a point (regardless of the whipping he's about to take in this battle of whits). Lid ought to know he's poking at a beehive with a stick.

Oh bother.

caphorns
8/24/2006, 02:19 PM
Oh bother.

Lid in action

http://www.gallery.anyware.co.nz/albums/MinifiesWinnie/Poo1scr.jpg

Big Red Ron
8/24/2006, 02:20 PM
I hear UCO could use a QB. NEO too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/24/2006, 02:23 PM
Lid gave me good wine advice once. And a kidney.

1stTimeCaller
8/24/2006, 02:25 PM

Bet some grape juice!!

http://www.womensheartfoundation.org/content/About_WHF/images-about/Welchs.jpg

JohnnyMack
8/24/2006, 02:39 PM

http://winelibrary.com/reviewwine.asp?item=25137

Beef
8/24/2006, 03:09 PM
Lid in action

http://www.gallery.anyware.co.nz/albums/MinifiesWinnie/Poo1scr.jpg
So that's how he lures the kids in the back of the van.

GDC
8/24/2006, 03:43 PM
Geary again.. you may take "Effin Hillbillies" as an insult.. but almost two years after the fact when Callenburger used it in a derogatory way... the vast, vast majority of people on here do not. In fact, there have been NUMEROUS threads on the South Oval that have that very nom de guerre in the title. Logically, that leads one to believe that you have more of an issue with the messenger than the message. IF you are one of the very few people who still get seriously insulted by this harmless, tongue in cheek name, then, out of respect for the moderators, particularly the owner of this site, I will cease and desist from using that term in any thread title again and if you were genuinely insulted, you have my apologies.

As for the Bomar thread, if you go back and read the entire thread, the thread was intended, and successfully resulted in, some pretty insightful discussion on the situation. Most of the posters set forth some interesting points of view devoid of the then emotional rantings which seemed to be more prevalent, and the manner in which the situation was handled. I challenge you to find even one instance in that thread in which I insulted or derided Oklahoma. In fact, you seemed to be the only one who brought rank emotionalism into that thread. If you are not capable of looking at a situation, of dissecting it intellectually, and contributing intelligently, then, put me on ignore and don't read my posts.

I'm sure you will notice that as you were bashing the university that at least I attended, I did not respond in any manner. (although using your logic set forth above, in insulting Texas you were insulting me and thereby again, breached our agreement) When, however, you make direct derogatory remarks to or about me, or implications against me, I will respond and will respond strongly.

I suggest we resume our benign relationship and go back to status quo ante... and not, once again, clog up the board with our vitriole.

That's a lot of words to basically say I was right and you were wrong.:texan:

I don't know what to wager but if it involves any whorns insignia or baby-crap orange I am out.

caphorns
8/24/2006, 04:26 PM
So that's how he lures the kids in the back of the van.
not a van, a shaguar.