PDA

View Full Version : OU answers open records requests

badger
8/22/2006, 11:24 PM
I couldn't find a thread on this yet, but OU has finally released the Big Red reports, with coach and athlete interviews involving Legal Counsel and the NCAA, as well as pay stubs and W2's of the players who worked there.

OU did a shoddy job of blocking out the athlete's names. They had to for legal reasons (student privacy), but the person doing this really screwed up. Half the media outlets in the state now know who worked there, when and their social security numbers.

Expect to see this in the newspapers tomorrow.:pop:

monty
8/22/2006, 11:34 PM
JTFC...how many people are involved in this?

badger
8/22/2006, 11:47 PM
Many were interviewed and referred to throughout the report. Brad McRae was mentioned over and over, as was his assistant, Stephanie Wells (I think that is her name).

The report makes it clear that a greater majority of the athletes who worked there did nothing wrong. I'm sure you all know the few who did break the rules by now.

Flagstaffsooner
8/22/2006, 11:55 PM
Report details OU inquiry: Hundreds of pages released

By George Schroeder
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - The allegations dropped into University of Oklahoma President David Boren's electronic inbox at 8:13 p.m. last March 3.
With a heading of "NCAA Violation at OU," the e-mail said three OU football players "were paid by Big Red Sports and Imports for their services, however they did not have to do a minutes (sic) work... All of this was done as a favor to the OU football team."
The message, which helped prompt an internal investigation that eventually led to the dismissals of quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn earlier this month, was obtained Tuesday by The Oklahoman after an open-records request.
Included in 528 pages of documents were OU's preliminary report to the NCAA, dated Monday, and interviews conducted by OU's compliance department with football coach Bob Stoops, defensive coordinator Brent Venables and director of football operations Merv Johnson, plus three football players.
Also included were dozens of time sheets, pay stubs and other employment records related to players' employment at Big Red over a period spanning almost two years.
The players' names and other identifiable information were blacked out by OU, which cited federal privacy legislation, but it was apparent Bomar was one of those interviewed.
Violations acknowledged
In the report, OU acknowledged NCAA rule violations by two players "when they received pay for work they did not perform ..." and said the players were aware they were breaking the rules.
The report also noted the investigation had "not revealed any other violations" committed by football players who were employed by Big Red.
However, one section of the report, while heavily redacted, was titled: "Unable to Conclude a Violation Has Occurred," and cited "insufficient evidence" in the case of an unknown athlete who "earned a significant amount of money from January (redacted) through February (redacted)," but who "could have legitimately worked the hours for which he received payment."
Also blacked out was the portion detailing how much Bomar and Quinn were overpaid. Bomar did not return a phone call Tuesday. His father, Jerry Bomar, said Tuesday the overpayment was "between $5,000-7,000."
Brad McRae, Big Red's former general manager, was named in the report as having known of the violations. McRae declined comment Tuesday.
"I've got nothing to say," he said.
An OU spokesman said school officials would not comment on the report. But in interviews conducted Aug. 3 by OU Associate Athletic Director Keith Gill, who oversees the compliance department, Stoops, Venables and Johnson denied knowledge of any improprieties involving football players' employment at Big Red Sports and Imports.
Asked whether he or "anyone else at the University of Oklahoma, to your knowledge, (knew) that student-athletes were working and getting paid for work not performed," Stoops replied: "Absolutely not."
Stoops also said he had not heard rumors about other NCAA rules violations related to Big Red. In other portions of the documents, it is clear OU's compliance staff investigated whether players were paid to attend functions involving McRae's children and whether they were paid to sign autographs.
The players interviewed denied receiving extra benefits of any type.
A rough timeline
Despite heavy redaction, the documents revealed a rough timeline of both the time period focused on by OU's investigators - summer 2004 through April 2006 - and of the investigation itself.
In the preliminary report to the NCAA, OU wrote that the investigation began last February. Although the remainder of the sentence was redacted, it was then that the compliance department reviewed the aborted purchase of a used, late-model Lexus by star running back Adrian Peterson. The school determined no rules violation had occurred.
The preliminary report also revealed the March 3 e-mail to Boren - which was addressed to David Price, the NCAA's vice president for enforcement - caused OU to widen the scope of its inquiry into Big Red.
The preliminary report said the "majority of the information" contained in the e-mail "was either not substantiated or was determined to be incorrect" by OU's investigation.
The e-mail sender's address was redacted, as were two names of OU football players. In it, he alleged the players "were supposed to work in the detail department washing cars, moving cars around the lot and cleaning up."
The sender alleged a Big Red payroll clerk had told the sender "none of the players had to do anything to receive their money," and that she had clocked players in and out "so that it would appear that they had actually worked."
Stephanie Wells, the payroll clerk named in the e-mail, could not be reached Tuesday for comment. However, in a written statement dated April 6, Wells said she had "never clocked in or out nor been asked to clock in or out any student athletic (sic) for the length of my employment. I believe to the best of my knowledge that the student athletes were paid for the hours they were here working. ... I was not aware of anyone being paid without actually working."
Wells reiterated that during an interview conducted June 21 by OU's compliance department with the aid of an outside attorney, Mark Jones from the firm of Ice Miller of Indianapolis, Ind.
According to the report to the NCAA, OU confirmed the NCAA rules violations in late July after receiving time-card reports for several players. The investigation noted inconsistencies regarding the number of hours worked when compared to W-2 statements and the times worked when compared to "class schedules, summer workouts, practice schedules and other time commitments."
"There is no evidence that other student-athletes participated in this scheme where they were clocked in and paid for working during practice or class times," the report stated. According to the report, OU officials continued their investigation after the Aug. 2 dismissals of Bomar and Quinn, interviewing two more football players - their identities were redacted - but finding "no evidence of additional violations."

badger
8/23/2006, 12:15 AM
there you go :)

Octavian
8/23/2006, 12:27 AM
Asked whether he or "anyone else at the University of Oklahoma, to your knowledge, (knew) that student-athletes were working and getting paid for work not performed," Stoops replied: "Absolutely not."

That's the heart of the issue.

Stoops has done absolutely nothing in the past to make me think he'd flat-out lie in a deposition.

From what's been said, unless there's an established direct link between the athletic dept. or football program and the illegal scheme, we should be okay.

OTOH, we're dealing w/ the NCAA here....

Desert Sapper
8/23/2006, 12:33 AM
I feel sorry for the clerk, Stephanie Wells. It sounds like Stephanie Wells blew the whistle, which initiated this whole thing. I can imagine that some Sooner fans blame Stephanie Wells for this whole thing. Those Sooner 'fans' might want to hurt Stephanie Wells. It's wonderful that the article identified Stephanie Wells by name.

Octavian
8/23/2006, 12:36 AM
His father, Jerry Bomar, said Tuesday the overpayment was "between $5,000-7,000."

He'd have accepted thirty pieces of silver if they would've offered it

badger
8/23/2006, 12:37 AM
I feel sorry for the clerk, Stephanie Wells. It sounds like Stephanie Wells blew the whistle, which initiated this whole thing. I can imagine that some Sooner fans blame Stephanie Wells for this whole thing. Those Sooner 'fans' might want to hurt Stephanie Wells. It's wonderful that the article identified Stephanie Wells by name.

The report mentions her name over and over, how can't you? However, due to student privacy issues, Bomar and Quinn are not mentioned ONCE (because they blacked out, very poorly but still did, all of the students' names).

Who knows who blew the whistle? She signed a lot of the athlete's employment agreements and documents, but that doesn't mean she was the one behind the university finding out---

and you've gotta admit, OU would have found out eventually, anyways. Those two guys were "working" so many hours during the school year that McRae had to tell them to use caution and log less hours. That was in October 2005, in the middle of football season.

Desert Sapper
8/23/2006, 12:52 AM
The report mentions her name over and over, how can't you?

That's kind of my point. It's bullcrap that they can smear this woman's name all over the place (especially in a state that takes its football so serious). If she did blow the whistle, I salute her for doing the right thing. I fear for her safety, though. Especially in a town where somebody put a dead dog on Barry's lawn during the early '80s. Some people are complete idiots, but putting her name all over this article didn't do anything to protect her from them. It may have given some goofy idiot a person to take out their aggression on, especially since McRae probably moved out of the country.

badger
8/23/2006, 12:56 AM
That's kind of my point. It's bullcrap that they can smear this woman's name all over the place (especially in a state that takes its football so serious). If she did blow the whistle, I salute her for doing the right thing. I fear for her safety, though. Especially in a town where somebody put a dead dog on Barry's lawn during the early '80s. Some people are complete idiots, but putting her name all over this article didn't do anything to protect her from them. It may have given some goofy idiot a person to take out their aggression on, especially since McRae probably moved out of the country.

okay, when I say "report" I mean the OU report which went out to the press that made Open Records Requests, not the stories that'll be all over the newspapers, web and television tomorrow.

okienole3
8/23/2006, 01:08 AM
the whistle blower was Dean Blevins.

Desert Sapper
8/23/2006, 01:09 AM
okay, when I say "report" I mean the OU report which went out to the press that made Open Records Requests, not the stories that'll be all over the newspapers, web and television tomorrow.

I understand that the newspapers were just following suit with the information that the University gave them. That doesn't, IMO, excuse them from practicing a degree of journalistic integrity. Unfortunately, that attribute is no longer espoused as worthwhile to our national and local media. Everything these days is about getting the story out before your competitor and making it as juicy and controversial as possible (whatever sells, I guess).

I was specifically referring to George Schroeder's article for the Oklahoman. I'm sure the other media outlets won't be much different in their coverage. In fact, I'm sure the TV outlets will cover it much the same way. That will probably be the most dangerous, given that anybody that would want to do anything bad to her probably can't read.

Nevermind any implications of libel/slander.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/23/2006, 10:42 AM

No, it's Lee Corso

TheHumanAlphabet
8/23/2006, 11:18 AM
Stephanie Wells.

Is this Aggierant's (or Aggiegrant's) girlfriend (from the TAMU board)? I wonder if the email came from Aggierant? :rcmad:

soonervegas
8/23/2006, 12:13 PM

Agreed. There are a lot of idiots out there...but kudos to here for doing the right thing if she was the whistle blower.

astro5169
8/23/2006, 12:45 PM
Big Red may have new owners but if you look closer you will see that they have always been partially owned by the current owners!:mad:

wishbonesooner
8/23/2006, 12:51 PM
Guys, I think we're in trouble. A freaking used car dealer is going to cost us big time.

astro5169
8/23/2006, 12:54 PM
Solution: Pay college players to play football.

NormanPride
8/23/2006, 01:37 PM
I understand that the newspapers were just following suit with the information that the University gave them. That doesn't, IMO, excuse them from practicing a degree of journalistic integrity. Unfortunately, that attribute is no longer espoused as worthwhile to our national and local media. Everything these days is about getting the story out before your competitor and making it as juicy and controversial as possible (whatever sells, I guess).

I was specifically referring to George Schroeder's article for the Oklahoman. I'm sure the other media outlets won't be much different in their coverage. In fact, I'm sure the TV outlets will cover it much the same way. That will probably be the most dangerous, given that anybody that would want to do anything bad to her probably can't read.

Nevermind any implications of libel/slander.

Why are you defending this girl so much? She signed off on all of this stuff for quite a while. And what makes you think she blew the whistle? There's no evidence of that. Why aren't you defending McRae's name or the kids' names? They're just as likely to have some idiot harass them.

okcfan33
8/23/2006, 03:53 PM
She was just an employee doing her job- doing what she was instructed to do. I'm sure at the time she was in no position to argue with her boss about his wishes. If vengeful sooner fans want someone to go after in this deal, don't make it her, she's a clerk, and I doubt she is the one who brought the whole thing to a head. Blame Bomar, Quinn, and McRae. That's your three of a kind.

OUHOMER
8/23/2006, 06:54 PM
Solution: Pay college players to play football.

dont even get me started on this topic.:rolleyes: You could have paid those 2 a 100,000.00 a year and they still would have had their hand out.:mad:

badger
8/23/2006, 08:06 PM
dont even get me started on this topic.:rolleyes: You could have paid those 2 a 100,000.00 a year and they still would have had their hand out.:mad:
especially the quarterback. i mean, who cares about what's his face that played that position that nobodu really cares about and crap. I mean, screw other guy!

or just screw them both.:rolleyes:

MiccoMacey
8/23/2006, 08:12 PM
"The sender alleged a Big Red payroll clerk had told the sender "none of the players had to do anything to receive their money," and that she had clocked players in and out "so that it would appear that they had actually worked."

She's not the informant, unless there's a cover-up. It states the sender of the e-mail was told by the clerk. The sender's the informant, not her.

Either or, I agree with Sapper. The informant is not the guilty party here. The athletes and the ownership are the evil-doers.

sooneron
8/23/2006, 08:34 PM
I think McCrae had better not show his face in public. Seriously. I could care less about who blew the whistle, they did the right thing. McCrae should be run out of town on a rail and then thrown in big mac for a couple of years. Of course, up here in NY, I have some acquaintances that could make him "move all of a sudden with no forwarding address".

OKC-SLC
8/23/2006, 09:26 PM
we should probably kill him, just in case.

OKC-SLC
8/23/2006, 09:27 PM
No, it's Lee Corso

badger
8/23/2006, 10:48 PM

Here's another reason to:
Linky (http://www.texastwirler.com/corso.JPG)

FaninAma
8/23/2006, 11:10 PM
Here's what all the legal eagles on the horn boards are saying: http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=4427020&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Damn, is every fan of ut a lawyer. It does look like their hopeful expectations of the NCAA coming down on OU seems to have inspired them to some bizarre scenarios of what took place which begs the question:

How closely are the horns monitored?

A word of caution to the horns......what goes around comes around and sooner or later one of the fat cat UT boosters/alums is going to slip up and will be held to the same standards.

It is the total hypocrisy and arrogance of horn fans that make me side with gdc that any horn fan on this board should be on a very short leash in regards to this issue.

badger
8/23/2006, 11:13 PM
Thread Title: "More trouble for OU? God, I hope so."

yeah, they're desperate for something there. ah well. we'd love to see them hit themselves in the face, too. Especially around the beginning of October...

FaninAma
8/23/2006, 11:37 PM
Thread Title: "More trouble for OU? God, I hope so."

yeah, they're desperate for something there. ah well. we'd love to see them hit themselves in the face, too. Especially around the beginning of October...

That's the problem with the "gotcha" mentality.....although admittedly UT never got drug into the muck and the mire of the old SWC. I'm sure it's because they were as clean as the driven snow.:rolleyes:

sooneron
8/23/2006, 11:56 PM
UTerus never did nothin wrong. Nevah.

badger
8/24/2006, 12:58 AM
That's the problem with the "gotcha" mentality.....although admittedly UT never got drug into the muck and the mire of the old SWC. I'm sure it's because they were as clean as the driven snow.:rolleyes:

to answer your question from the locked thread, I don't frequent either library--- and "that guy" is not the only one who said all that crap... but he has said it.

...and I wish he wouldn't.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/24/2006, 09:33 AM
McRae paid two players that were kicked off the team to attend his kid's parties?

TexasLidig8r
8/24/2006, 09:44 AM
A word of caution to the horns......what goes around comes around and sooner or later one of the fat cat UT boosters/alums is going to slip up and will be held to the same standards.

That's one of the reasons why you haven't seen me on this board, or anywhere else, celebrating over the Bomar/Quinn imbroglio.

It is incredibly naive to believe that each and every alum from every school is playing strictly by the rules. I would be absolutely shocked if there aren't some UT alums playing a bit "fast and loose." Unfortunately, with college football now being big business instead of just a game, there is much more incentive to cheat.

With rivals, I want their team to be 100%, at full strength each and every time we play.. no excuses, no whining... may the better team win.

FaninAma
8/24/2006, 10:28 AM
That's one of the reasons why you haven't seen me on this board, or anywhere else, celebrating over the Bomar/Quinn imbroglio.

It is incredibly naive to believe that each and every alum from every school is playing strictly by the rules. I would be absolutely shocked if there aren't some UT alums playing a bit "fast and loose." Unfortunately, with college football now being big business instead of just a game, there is much more incentive to cheat.

With rivals, I want their team to be 100%, at full strength each and every time we play.. no excuses, no whining... may the better team win.

I couldn't have said it better myself. When I see the NCAA arbitrarily enforcing the rules while realizing the huge number of people at any program who can be considered "boosters" by the NCAA I can only conclude that no program can completely police these boosters and avoid NCAA violations.

I also don't understand the feeling that if OU's program is weakened that somehow it's going to help UT in the long run. Right now the Big 12 is receiving criticism for being a 2 team conference. I guess it would be OK with most horn fans if it becomes a one team conference but I somehow don't see that playing out to Texas' advantage in the long run. IE. refer back to the bad old days of the SWC and how Texas' reputation was tarnished by being associated with a weak conference.

Lid, I do acknowledge and appreciate your objectivity. Now I need a shower..Yuck ;)