PDA

View Full Version : OUr 2000 team:

goingoneight
8/22/2006, 11:08 PM
Proved many 'theories' in college football to be true.

1. Defense wins championships.
2. Smarter QBs are usually better QBs.
3. Hard work pays off.
4. Payback's a b*tch!!! 63-14
5. The stars have to align properly for anyone to contend for a title.
6. Any team can be a champion with good coaching.
7. Attitude is everything.
8. Tough Schedule means better preparation.

The list goes on. That season can seriously be made into a movie one day IMHO. Remember all the way up to the Orange Bowl, FSU lovers claimed Michael Vick was easy-this, we're a modern dynasty that... They even insulted Josh Heupel to the point that he looked dead straight into the media and sat silently when they asked biased questions like "Do you really think your tricksy Big 12 offense can handle a powerhouse many years in the making?" and "You do realize this offense averages 300+ yards per game..."

I got to thinking about this today and my co-workers began to talk about how the 2000 season is the perfect story of the underdog and the return to glory. I even made the point to my aggy co-workers that had their jerseys been any other color, they would agree with us. Anyone else feel this?

ultimatesooner1
8/22/2006, 11:27 PM
living the 2000 season was absolutely awesome

Sco
8/23/2006, 07:25 AM
AND.... it gave us a perfect opportunity to laugh at the name Weinke...

Hahaha..... Weinke...

Wishboned
8/23/2006, 08:59 AM
Return to Glory

A Touchstone Pictures/Jerry Bruckheimer Production

Opening scenes: A montage of OU headlines from their first National Championship, to the 47 game winning streak up to the SI cover of Charles Thompson and Barry's resignation. Then show scores from the next few years.

Cut to a scene in Spurrier's office at UF where Spurrier and Stoops are discussing the OU job. Spurrier wishes Stoops luck.

Scene at OU, Stoops and his staff discussing the current players. Talk about recruiting Heupel. Talk about bringing something different to OU football.

Quick rundown of the 99 season ending with Stoops staring at the scoreboard at the Independence Bowl.

Then fade to practice in the summer of 2000. Game by game rundown with extra attention paid to October. Then the comeback at aTm. And finally the Big 12 Championship game.

Throw in scenes from the Heisman ceremony.

Then the Orange Bowl. Show scenes from press conferences all week long showing the growing anger at OU not being respected. All the talk about FSU and Miami having a split championship.

Calm pre-game speech by Stoops, how their not respected, how nobody expects them to win.

Show the coin toss with Marshall telling Weinke he's come to get his boys trophy back.

Fiery half-time speech by Stoops: We've got them. We're playing our game.

Second half highlights ending with Heupel up on the shoulders and Stoops looking from the distance and nodding like Mr. Miyagi.

End credits. Throw in actual footage of OU's championship run and end it with Stoops holding up the crystal football.

It practically writes itself.

Now all we need is a cast and the right music.

soonerjoker
8/23/2006, 09:15 AM
i kinda question #1,#5 & #6.

main luck was, lack of major injuries.

jwlynn64
8/23/2006, 10:07 AM

Point #1 is the most important point. No team wins a championship without a good defense.

Why not go ask Mike Leach how many championships his teams have won. He is the poster boy for why you need a good D, even if you have a great offense.

#5 Addressed by your comment about lack of injuries.

#6 No coach has ever won a game. Only the players take the field but it has been shown numerous times that a well coached team can beat a superior opponent.

I think all of his points are valid.

proudsoonergal
8/23/2006, 01:25 PM
Hmm. Why not? Let's discuss casting....

Stoops: John Cusack, Kevin Bacon or a younger Ed Harris
Heupel: Justin Timberlake ;)
Q: the guy that is on Scrubs and was in the movie Clueless
T Marshall: Jamie Foxx
Weinke: Lloyd Bridges (if he was still alive)
Bobby Bowden: Brian Dennehy, Gene Hackman, or an older looking Woody Harrelson
Mack Brown: Ned Beatty from Deliverance or William Shatner

umberto
8/23/2006, 07:40 PM
Weinke: Lloyd Bridges (if he was still alive)

Lloyd is dead. It's a shame "Blue" from Old School died already too. I think he was closer to Weinke's age anyway. :D

goingoneight
8/23/2006, 09:13 PM
Hmm. Why not? Let's discuss casting....

Stoops: Tom Hanks, minus the shreil screams
Heupel: Michael Rosembaum (that guy is wicked-good at playing different roles).
Q: the guy that is on Scrubs and was in the movie Clueless - agreed, my thoughts exactly.
T Marshall: Jamie Foxx... or the Rock.
Weinke: Lloyd Bridges (if he was still alive)... George Burns comes to mind also
Bobby Bowden: Brian Dennehy, Gene Hackman, or an older looking Woody Harrelson
Mack Brown: Ned Beatty from Deliverance or William Shatner... yee-uh...
Chrissy: Lance Bass
Stillwater scene filmed in Compton with a sheep spotted in.

Ah, yes... the feel good movie of the year. This would make Stoops the hero he is, not the goat the media is trying to make him into.

proudsoonergal
8/23/2006, 09:24 PM
Major was still there then, too. Haley Joel Osment?

SoonerStud615
8/23/2006, 09:42 PM
I could not hold a watch party during that season without haveing the obligatory bowl of oranges on the table in which we all ran outside and would launch after the game.

goingoneight
8/23/2006, 09:47 PM
Major was still there then, too. Haley Joel Osment?

HJO is in trouble for a DUI right now, I'd say he's working on the Eddie Sutton Story... "Walk the Line-- with your finger on your nose."

proudsoonergal
8/23/2006, 10:01 PM
LOL

olevetonahill
8/23/2006, 10:10 PM
SUCCED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But we still WON the Big one :D
I remember the Nite befor the Neb game I couldnt sleep , I was so keyed up ( how do the players sleep befor a game like this ? )
The next Day Im watching we get down 14 -0 . I saying oh **** !
Josh Brings in the Sooner magic and we win :D :D :D :D
Rite after that I say Im sleepy about 3 times . GF gets ****ed and leaves . I havnt seen her since :eek:
Oh well WE won the BIG 1 :D :D :D :D :D :D

VolinArizona
8/23/2006, 10:20 PM
Besides any Volunteer squad, the 2000 Oklahoma team is my favorite team EVER. I think they may be, IMO, one of the best team's in the history of college football. That D would have easily kept The Big Orange Dummy in check, and the offense that time around was probably better than last season's (injuries suck).

I'll never forget watching the OU - FSU with my dad (old school football guy) and him saying that OU was the only team he'd seen in the last 7-8 years who could actually tackle.

Statalyzer
8/23/2006, 11:03 PM

Yes, that was your main luck, which should support the point about luck rather than making you question it.

It takes some luck to win the MNC along with all the other stuff. For OU in 2000 it came in the form of hardly any injuries. Last year for us a lot of it came in the form of recovering our own fumbles on bounces we didn't have a whole lot to do with.

olevetonahill
8/24/2006, 03:43 AM
Yes, that was your main luck, which should support the point about luck rather than making you question it.

It takes some luck to win the MNC along with all the other stuff. For OU in 2000 it came in the form of hardly any injuries. Last year for us a lot of it came in the form of recovering our own fumbles on bounces we didn't have a whole lot to do with.
Yup :texan: the only Injury I member from then was Josh ! Heplayed thru !nuff said :pop:

goingoneight
8/24/2006, 10:29 PM

Not trying to start an argument, but you did have an easy walk after tOSU, and weakened SUC defense pretty much laid down and let VY walk the line on them. He wasn't really even trying in the fourth quarter. Take it as a compliment.

For us, we had an attitude that no one, no matter how good they were was gonna beat us. That went from the coaches, to the players, all the way into the stands, and to anyone who believed in OU. OUr lucky part, I'll go ahead and say it... yes we stayed healthy. But who on Tejas 2005 team got hurt that cost them anything? Jamaal sprained his ankle, but had veteran depth behind him, and we all know he wasn't the "running threat of the team" though good for a TF. Some people say we wouldn't have taken Miami to the house, but OU had been underdogged all season, told they were weak, told they were a lucky 'John Blake' team with a UF DC coaching them, etc. I say, that OU defense could have shut out anyone on that fateful night. No one was going to beat them, no one would even challenge them as far as they were concerned.

UT luck = key contributors healthy, one-game walk to title. Pretty much the entire conference was unranked.

OU luck = potent D stayed healthy, quality depth at QB (Heupel, Hybl, White... 'nuff said), coaching staff full of soon-to-be Head coaches, classic underdog role, opponents underestimated them. Why wouldn't they, JB "coached" OU into the Stool of the BIG 12, and OU apparently "maxed out" at 7-5 with "John Blake's veteran talent," and rumors spread like wildfire that Bobby Stoops had yet another year of rebuilding to do.

soonerjoker
8/25/2006, 10:18 AM
i meant 2, 5 & 6.

my bad !!!

5 is correct if you spin it just right.

do you think baylor would have won NC in 2000 with Stoops as their coach ???

if the RIGHT COACH can do it, where's number 8 ???

goingoneight
8/25/2006, 09:37 PM
i meant 2, 5 & 6.

my bad !!!

5 is correct if you spin it just right.

do you think baylor would have won NC in 2000 with Stoops as their coach ???

if the RIGHT COACH can do it, where's number 8 ???

Coming soon, to a Theater near you.