PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever go here?

IB4OU2
8/22/2006, 01:23 PM
http://www.metrotech.org/campuses/sl-history/sl-air-old1-l.jpg

It's the old Springlake Amusement Park....I went there a lot when I was a kid. :D

Howzit
8/22/2006, 01:25 PM
I did too. THE TORNADO!!!

This just jogged a memory that I had a dream about going to Spring Lake recently...

Osce0la
8/22/2006, 01:27 PM
That looks like a really long roller coaster

IB4OU2
8/22/2006, 01:29 PM
That looks like a really long roller coaster

It was.

Fugue
8/22/2006, 01:31 PM
http://www.metrotech.org/campuses/sl-history/sl-air-old1-l.jpg

It's the old Springlake Amusement Park....I went there a lot when I was a kid. :D

what ride were you on when you took this pic? :D

Mjcpr
8/22/2006, 01:33 PM
I think it's this thread's dinnertime.

IB4OU2
8/22/2006, 01:33 PM
I was on a Zeppellin. :D

IB4OU2
8/22/2006, 01:35 PM
I think it's this thread's dinnertime.

mmm....mmm, liver and onions tonight.

Paperclip
8/22/2006, 01:42 PM
Man, yeah, I spent a lot of time there as a kid.

SoonerInKCMO
8/22/2006, 01:56 PM
I went there once - late '70s or thereabouts. It looked like it needed to be shut down then. When you're getting pwned by Frontier City, you know you're in bad shape.

Of course, it was still a helluva lot better than Bell's ever dreamed of being. :D

frankensooner
8/22/2006, 02:46 PM
We went there on my 5th grade trip, so it must've been 1977. We took a school bus all the way from Muskogee. The most memorable thing was that the Tornado broke down when we were going up that first hill and we had to walk down the rickety staircase. Also on that trip, my mom packed me a Vienna Sausage sandwich for lunch. I dropped the sandwich on the floor of the bus and put it back up. My teacher (who I really didn't like cause she was a meanie) asked me if I was going to eat it. I said no and let her eat it. I think that must've been the begining of my evil streak.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/22/2006, 09:15 PM
I remember going there once or twice before it got shut down. My mom used to go to concerts there all the time and once a bug flew into Marty Robbins' mouth while he was singing there.

OUinFLA
8/22/2006, 10:41 PM
In the 50's and early 60's, it was the only place to go.
I remember it. Wasn't there another (lessor) park ? Wedgewood or something like that? I went to some rock shows there. Touring bands that wern't so hot yet played there regularly. I remember Johney Rivers, Yardbirds, couple of others that slip my mind. (and easy task nowdays)

Stanley1
8/22/2006, 10:43 PM
Never been.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/23/2006, 01:15 AM
You're missin' out, Stanley.

Summers were defined by the annual trip to Springlake. Of course, this is from the eyes of a kid that never quite made it to the Big Dipper, always having to settle for its rattling little brother.

Totally boned on that deal.

OUinFLA
8/23/2006, 06:38 AM
I spent all my extra money (usually less than $2) on SkittleBall. Trying to win a 10-cent toy.

My Dad used to haul my older sister's group up there once each summer. They would pile about 12 teenagers into his pickup and make the drive.
Can you imagine hauling 10 or so kids in the back of a pickup for 2 hours nowdays? Of course we didnt have 4 lane hwys back then. Or seatbelts.

Okla-homey
8/23/2006, 06:54 AM
They had one of those cable rides which carried you across the park and the lake. There were rumors someone once got stuck in one of the buckets with a cottonmouth SNAKE! Seriously. Snakes on the Ride.

I loved Springlake. Some of my greatest kiddie memories are of being taken there on a Saturday by my grandfather in his coat and tie and my grandmother in a dress. Back in the early 60's, decent people (even hillbillies from Carter County) didn't even go to a flippin' amusement park unless dressed properly.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/23/2006, 07:55 AM
Even though Metro Tech is there now, you can still kinda see how the park was laid out.

IB4OU2
8/23/2006, 07:59 AM
My church used to go up there atleast once a year. The preacher (my uncle) was a ride freak.

8/23/2006, 09:02 AM
I loved that place as a kid. Of course, we only traveled to "The City" a couple of times a year, so I didn't go to Springlake very often. Maybe twice. But it was fun.

Wow, look at all of that empty land in that photo.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/23/2006, 11:57 AM
They had one of those cable rides which carried you across the park and the lake. There were rumors someone once got stuck in one of the buckets with a cottonmouth SNAKE! Seriously. Snakes on the Ride.

Heck yeah! The Alpine Skyway, baby. I remember my mom whackin' me upside the head for spittin' off the car once.

Okla-homey
8/23/2006, 12:03 PM
Heck yeah! The Alpine Skyway, baby. I remember my mom whackin' me upside the head for spittin' off the car once.

You were in good company. No normal Okie boy can possibly resist the temptation to spit from a great height.

peeing would have been more fun though