PDA

View Full Version : cfn.com defense rankings

The Maestro
8/22/2006, 10:46 AM
I promise I don't work in marketing for the site, but it is something to read to get ready for the season...

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/

They rank our defense 3rd behind Miami and Texas. DL is ranked 2nd, LB's 8th, DB's 8th and Special Teams 39th.

Also a good write-up on the All-Time Offense Team with a pic of Keith Jackson on the cover as the best tight end in college history.

GDC
8/22/2006, 10:47 AM
Sooners still sorting out deep defense
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/22/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Sapulpa's Pendleton is a sure replacement for Dvoracek, Ayodele.
NORMAN -- How many Oklahoma defensive tackles does it take to replace Dusty Dvoracek? Would you believe nine?

"I want everybody to know how much I believe in this rotation, and it's set in stone that I'm playing nine," Sooner defensive tackles coach Jackie Shipp said recently, tongue buried in cheek.

Seriously, now. Dvoracek was a load. But worth the weight of nine 300-pounders?

"You can play four," Shipp said, this time straight-faced. "Sometimes you can play five."

Which begs another question: Which four or five? Who's ready to replace Dvoracek, now property of the Chicago Bears, and Remi Ayodele, another 2005 senior who started five games alongside Dvoracek at tackle?

"That's way too early to start worrying about," Shipp claimed.

Two more weeks of practice, the thinking goes, is enough time to flesh out a rotation. For now, the only safe bet appears to be Carl Pendleton, the Sapulpa junior who should make his 20th career start Sept. 2 against Alabama-Birmingham.

Steven Coleman, who has spot-played the past two years, started alongside Pendleton Aug. 12, the last time OU

opened a scrimmage for public viewing. Cory Bennett, a sophomore who started the '05 opener, and heralded redshirt freshman DeMarcus Granger were next, followed by two more redshirt freshmen, Cordero Moore and Claremore product Billy Blackard.

Sprinkle in true freshmen Gerald McCoy -- the USA Today Defensive Player of the Year at Oklahoma City Southeast last year -- and Adrian Taylor, and suddenly Shipp's joke doesn't sound as funny.

"It's incredible," Pendleton said when asked about defensive tackle depth. "It's the best it's been since I've been here."

That it's relatively unproven depth?

"I'm impressed with the young guys," Pendleton said. "When I came in, we kind of struggled for a long time to pick (the defense) up. These guys are not having that problem. These guys are going to be great players."

Both Shipp and OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables applauded Granger and Blackard last week. Venables added kudos for McCoy and Taylor.

At the same time, the two assistants stressed the need for the youth movement at defensive tackle to be just that: moving.

"We're still working to get better and need to get better between now and the first game," Venables said. "But progress has been made. I've been pleased."

"They all have great upside," Shipp said. "The bottom line is to get it out of them."

Shipp got it out of Dvoracek, just as he got it out of Tommie Harris, another Bear, before Dvoracek. Somewhere out of the mass of Sooner defensive tackles, he expects to get it out of someone else this season.

"I don't think players think, 'OK, Dusty's gone. Oh, I gotta do this,' " Shipp said. "I don't think it's anything they put on themselves. They just step into that slot. Happens every year.

"Every year somebody leaves and somebody steps up."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

JohnnyMack
8/22/2006, 10:49 AM
I disagree. Miami has talent, but they're unproven.

Saxet and OU should be 1,2.

fadada1
8/22/2006, 10:59 AM
miami sucks. texas sucks more.

Soonermagik
8/22/2006, 11:12 AM
I think our defense will carry us, and if our secondary is as good as everyone's saying our defense will be second to none!!!

VolinArizona
8/22/2006, 11:49 AM
I think OU will end up with the #1 defense in the country. Studs all over the field.

TexasLidig8r
8/22/2006, 11:52 AM
OREGON No. 57???

Dang. besides the big Samoan.. what else did they lose from last year?

fadada1
8/22/2006, 11:57 AM
OREGON No. 57???

it's oregon, dude. their idea of defense is setting up a human blockade against a bulldozer, in order to protect a non-threatened gnat.

defense in oregon.... THAT'S RICH!!!

tbl
8/22/2006, 12:00 PM
Keith Jackson is the only player that is the #1 in a position on all the lists provided.

The Maestro
8/22/2006, 12:09 PM
Keith Jackson is the only player that is the #1 in a position on all the lists provided.

Kind of strange since he had about...what? 50 career receptions?!?! Imagine having him now in today's OU offense.

JPNSKER
8/22/2006, 12:21 PM
KJ is a stud.... I still remember the air leaving my body as he ran down that sideline....

NormanPride
8/22/2006, 01:16 PM
OREGON No. 57???

I believe they lost both senior corners, and maybe a LB? Not sure though. Most of the reason they gave us any troubles on D was because of those corners. Ngata was a beast inside, but when he was out we ran all over the place.

Readyfor8
8/22/2006, 01:25 PM
Man Pendelton is a team player and as good as gold in my book. I love it when players don't hype themselves but hype their team mates.

Somebody buy that man a drink...

King Crimson
8/22/2006, 01:25 PM
Kind of strange since he had about...what? 50 career receptions?!?! Imagine having him now in today's OU offense.

Keith averaged about 20 yards per touch, though. think about that.

RedstickSooner
8/22/2006, 01:51 PM
Keith Jackson was unreal. Any modern team with an emphasis on passing the ball would be a monster with him in the lineup.

One thing that has sort of surpsised me is all the praise given to D. J. Wolfe. I thought he'd had a rough time of it at corner -- and I hadn't really realized he'd gotten good enough that folks were calling him great. Is it now accepted that he's an all-big-12 or better sort of guy?

If so, excellent - always glad to see position changes work out for the players involved.

KingDavid
8/22/2006, 02:09 PM
I promise I don't work in marketing for the site, but it is something to read to get ready for the season...

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/

They rank our defense 3rd behind Miami and Texas. DL is ranked 2nd, LB's 8th, DB's 8th and Special Teams 39th.

Also a good write-up on the All-Time Offense Team with a pic of Keith Jackson on the cover as the best tight end in college history.

Josh Williams competing at defensive end? Ryan Reynolds pressing for playing time at linebacker? Darien Williams a sophomore? These guys at CFN need to hire better interns or something. Or perhaps change their domain name to www.confusedfootballnews.com.:D

Desert Sapper
8/23/2006, 02:05 AM
They couldn't even get the names right in their write up of the defenses. I don't even like Miami, but I know their latest safety phenom is Kenny Phillips, not Kelly.

I also think this is a cute little quote about us:

The secondary will be a lot better than it'll get credit for.

Mmmmmkay...does that mean preseason credit? Because I see everybody recognizing our secondary when the season is over.