PDA

View Full Version : Pop will eat itself...will the internet?

Tear Down This Wall
8/22/2006, 09:33 AM
Pop music has long been dead from overexposure. Will the internet lose influence in the same way eventually? I don't mean disappear, I mean be ignored as an influential thing. I feel like someday it will be like cable, ubiquitous.

Widescreen
8/22/2006, 09:38 AM
I don't think it will ever be ignored. Music and TV are passive things for entertainment purposes only. The Internet is an interactive medium whose content is constantly changing and can be used for a huge number of things - work and pleasure (I'll leave it to your imagination to what that could mean). Essentially, TV is mindnumbering and the Internet is a tool.

Tear Down This Wall
8/22/2006, 09:42 AM
Yes, but will the internet become too predictable? Already, you can discount 99% of what comes out of blogs. As far as commerce, eBay was long ago hijacked by professional retailers.

And, the internet is also mindnumbing to some degree. Back in the late 90s, it was exciting to go a new website for a business, friend, family member, sports team, etc. Now, I'd say I probably hit less than four sites a day.

proud gonzo
8/22/2006, 01:59 PM
pop music is not a medium of communication, it's a genre of music. i'm guessing internet won't be ignored as influential (or whatever you said) considering radio, newspaper, and television didn't either.

just because you take television/internet/whatever for granted doesn't mean history does.

NormanPride
8/22/2006, 02:28 PM
pop music is not a medium of communication, it's a genre of music. i'm guessing internet won't be ignored as influential (or whatever you said) considering radio, newspaper, and television didn't either.

just because you take television/internet/whatever for granted doesn't mean history does.

Yeah. History appreciates what it has, you thankless beyonce. :texan:

8/22/2006, 02:40 PM
I think soon, the Internet will be seemlessly incorporated into most every gadget we own. And for "convenience," you'll be able to e-mail your toaster oven from your car telling it what time to have the Freedom-bread pizza cooked.

fadada1
8/22/2006, 02:49 PM
"pop will eat itself"

no body has mentioned how cool a band they were. used to listen to them on the way to skiing - back in the day.

Ike
8/22/2006, 03:00 PM
by internet, I assume you mean the web. maybe it will to the masses, but not to select groups. In physics for example, the web is quite a useful tool.

As for the larger internet...nope, it ain't going away unless there is something better to take its place. Being able to connect my computer to a computer in switzerland and have them talk nearly seamlessly is still an important tool.

Scott D
8/22/2006, 04:03 PM
Pop music never dies, it evolves.

GottaHavePride
8/22/2006, 05:08 PM

If by "evolve" you mean "continue to find new ways to suck" then I agree. ;)

By the way, is your location tag a line from "I've got my mind set on you"?

proud gonzo
8/22/2006, 05:10 PM

exactly. what used to be "pop" is now "oldies"

PhilTLL
8/22/2006, 05:13 PM
exactly. what used to be "pop" is now "oldies"

What really used to be "pop" is now "madrigals." :)

Oh, as for the topic, the internet might eat itself for people who only use it for entertainment, I guess. But it's so many different tools with so many possibilities and contributors that it's hard to see it becoming "tired."

royalfan5
8/22/2006, 05:16 PM
As long as there is pr0n on the internet, the internet will be around.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/22/2006, 05:40 PM
Pop music has died??? I think not. They just ran out of creativity. Besides, oldies ARE goodies. Music is, and always will be, a very special enjoyment.

Scott D
8/23/2006, 08:10 PM
If by "evolve" you mean "continue to find new ways to suck" then I agree. ;)

By the way, is your location tag a line from "I've got my mind set on you"?

nah, it's a line from the chorus of a LL Cool J song back in the 90s. I just thought it was fitting with the avatar.

and hey, not all evolution is for the better...I mean look at the political parties ;)

PhilTLL
8/23/2006, 08:19 PM
Pop music has died??? I think not. They just ran out of creativity. Besides, oldies ARE goodies. Music is, and always will be, a very special enjoyment.

Good music is everywhere, just not on the radio much.

proud gonzo
8/23/2006, 11:45 PM
nah, it's a line from the chorus of a LL Cool J song back in the 90s. I just thought it was fitting with the avatar.

and hey, not all evolution is for the better...I mean look at tardbillies ;)

fixed :D