PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thompson as Vense Jung?

MRNOTDUCKS
8/22/2006, 09:16 AM
Not to discount the pass in your offense this year, but I could really see how Paul Thompson could wreak havoc with some of the same plays that VY did so stinking well with last year.

The one in particular I'm thinking of is where the RB would come up for the hand-off and VY would read the LBs movement. He had a lot of options at that point, he could hand off the ball. He could fake the hand off and hit the seam in the opposite direction that the RB is running. He could fake the hand off and run behind the RB. Or he could at that point pull back and pass the ball. With VY being so dangerous and everyone trying to contain him, usually one of these options would result in some good yardage. I hated the fact that he could read the LBs so well and exploit teams time after time.

With A.D. in the backfield and Thompson such a threat with his feet, I could see the Sooners employing a lot of this kind of thing.

VolinArizona
8/22/2006, 09:18 AM
One thing for sure is that WHEN (not if) Coach Stoops begins using PT's running ability, defenses will begin to cheat up in fear of AD or PT, which in ANOTHER great turn, allows PT a little more flexibility and time to throw.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2006, 09:19 AM
You will see a ton of that. When Wilson was at NW he perfected it with Damien Anderson. Now he's got a mobile QB and a freak at RB. Just another version of the option.

Now if PT can hit those little bump passes we are golden.

CtheB
8/22/2006, 04:14 PM
You will see a ton of that. When Wilson was at NW he perfected it with Damien Anderson. Now he's got a mobile QB and a freak at RB. Just another version of the option.

Now if PT can hit those little bump passes we are golden.

That's the key. Zac Kustock made everyone respect him throwing the ball, which opened up everything else. Whether PT can be adequate, not great..just adequate, throwing the ball is the big question. And I'm not sure that PT is any more mobile than Kustock was, which isn't a bad thing.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, if PT can get 30-40 yards a game running the ball, and 120-130 throwing it, while hitting 50-55% of his throws, we won't miss a beat and will be a very dangerous offense.

OUstudent4life
8/22/2006, 04:18 PM
That's the zone read...and while i'm hopeful, i don't think we'll run it as well as young did in his last year at texas...if memory serves me correctly, it took vince a while to get that play down perfectly (like they ran it last year)...

...it probably takes a TON of practice (kinda like running the 'bone...), and PT, while good, hasn't had the practice time to perfect it.

goingoneight
8/22/2006, 10:11 PM
With all due respect to Oklahoma's proud traditional rivalry with the University of Tuesday, I'm not going to make any more VY/ENA comparisons. ENA is an exciting oppurtunity at this point, but let's be realistic, he doesn't have the OL that Tuesday had. He could be great, but will unarguably be different.