PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider joining the Army around the age of 40?

GDC
8/22/2006, 08:06 AM
I was reading about them raising the age limit for new recruits to 42. It would make for an interesting mid-life career change, that's for sure.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=060821_Ne_A4_Armyb51957

C&CDean
8/22/2006, 08:22 AM
Some people could join at 40, retire at 60 - which is still younger than they probably would have in the private sector. Plus I'm thinking at 40, unless you're in very good shape, you're gonna be getting an admin type job - or a job in a career field you already know (mechanics, electronics, etc).

LSUMeathead
8/22/2006, 09:07 AM
2 years ago I was between jobs. I am the first male in my family not to serve in the military & I had a strong sense of duty to join up. I was 29 at the time & I realized that I would be almost 10 years older than all the other 2LTs, but still young enough to go out on the front lines. I spoke with my father in law, who is a veteran of the first gulf war, and he told me that if I did join up, that they would ship me over there the day I got out of OCS. He also told me that I would have to keep up with guys a lot younger than me because I was almost 30 and would have no rank to pull on them. So if I would have had issues at 30, just imagine what kind of issues someone would have at 42.

Oh, and remember that very few people who go join the military are triathletes when they join up.

FaninAma
8/22/2006, 09:25 AM
I applied to the Navy reserves at the age of 45. Didn't make it because of hypertension even though I'm in the best shape I've been in since my 20's and my hypertension is controlled.

I certainly didn't do it for the money or possible retirement benefits. I did it because I think either my generation wins the war with the current threat to our country or my kid's generation will have to deal with it.

I guess the Navy isn't hurting for bodies like the Army is.

soonerjoker
8/22/2006, 09:39 AM
i'd join the military, if it would make me 40. can barely remember being 40.

picasso
8/22/2006, 09:40 AM
I applied to the Navy reserves at the age of 45. Didn't make it because of hypertension even though I'm in the best shape I've been in since my 20's and my hypertension is controlled.

I certainly didn't do it for the money or possible retirement benefits. I did it because I think either my generation wins the war with the current threat to our country or my kid's generation will have to deal with it.

I guess the Navy isn't hurting for bodies like the Army is.
agreed!
I wonder if I could get in although I've recently had cancer?

OU4LIFE
8/22/2006, 09:42 AM
just to enlist? no. To serve my country in a time of need? Damn skippy.

8/22/2006, 09:43 AM
Very ironic... I was thinking about that while driving to work this morning. I don't believe I'd be accepted, and really, I'm not sure I would want to do it. But there is certain appeal of serving in these times.

I guess I could layout brochures and stuff.

C&CDean
8/22/2006, 09:47 AM
Hell guys, if the liberals have their way, we're all gonna be soldiers pretty soon. Right here at the hizouse.

IB4OU2
8/22/2006, 09:50 AM
No, I'll just have to stay home and take care of the wimmen. :D

GDC
8/22/2006, 10:19 AM
just to enlist? no. To serve my country in a time of need? Damn skippy.

That's what I was thinking. I tried to sign up on 9/11 and they told me I was too old. Now, years later, I'm young enough.

jk the sooner fan
8/22/2006, 10:25 AM
2 years ago I was between jobs. I am the first male in my family not to serve in the military & I had a strong sense of duty to join up. I was 29 at the time & I realized that I would be almost 10 years older than all the other 2LTs, but still young enough to go out on the front lines. I spoke with my father in law, who is a veteran of the first gulf war, and he told me that if I did join up, that they would ship me over there the day I got out of OCS. He also told me that I would have to keep up with guys a lot younger than me because I was almost 30 and would have no rank to pull on them. So if I would have had issues at 30, just imagine what kind of issues someone would have at 42.

Oh, and remember that very few people who go join the military are triathletes when they join up.

its a good stretch to say that you'd be sent "over there" the day after OCS ......in fact its a huge stretch

however, your other point is valid - during my service, it was tougher for the older guys taking orders from some young punk.....but thats the way it goes

i retired as a CW3 and had to salute and execute any order given by the greenest lieutenant....just the way it is

LSUMeathead
8/22/2006, 10:41 AM
its a good stretch to say that you'd be sent "over there" the day after OCS ......in fact its a huge stretch

however, your other point is valid - during my service, it was tougher for the older guys taking orders from some young punk.....but that's the way it goes

i retired as a CW3 and had to salute and execute any order given by the greenest lieutenant....just the way it is

"The day after OCS" is obviously an exaggeration, but you get my point. If I was to join up, I would have done it with the understanding that it would only be a matter of time before I was sent overseas. It was simply a response to the post saying that the older enlistees would likely be given support jobs or desk roles. While that may be true if you were right at the 42 year old line, I doubt they would be holding a 30 year old back.

jk the sooner fan
8/22/2006, 10:46 AM
"The day after OCS" is obviously an exaggeration, but you get my point. If I was to join up, I would have done it with the understanding that it would only be a matter of time before I was sent overseas. It was simply a response to the post saying that the older enlistees would likely be given support jobs or desk roles. While that may be true if you were right at the 42 year old line, I doubt they would be holding a 30 year old back.

i dont know, i know a 50 year old thats sweating his *** off over in iraq

in this army, at some point, just about everybody is going to deploy.....also depends on what your MOS is, what unit you're assigned too, etc

my son is an infantryman at Fort Riley - i'm sure at some point he'll get orders to deploy - but right now he's just stuck in Kansas

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 11:22 AM
Hell guys, if the liberals have their way, we're all gonna be soldiers pretty soon. Right here at the hizouse.

Thats what I've been thinkin!

afs
8/22/2006, 06:48 PM
Strange, the USAF is looking to cut 50,000 people between 2007 and 2011 while the USA has increased recruitment age to 42 and the USMC has called up 2000 Individual Ready Reserve troops.

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2006, 06:53 PM
Strange, the USAF is looking to cut 50,000 people between 2007 and 2011 while the USA has increased recruitment age to 42 and the USMC has called up 2000 Individual Ready Reserve troops.

The life of an airman is much much different than that of a soldier or Marine.

C&CDean
8/22/2006, 07:00 PM
The life of an airman is much much different than that of a soldier or Marine.

Ya think?

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2006, 07:08 PM
Ya think?

I'm pretty sure. ;)