PDA

View Full Version : Sam Keller to Oklahoma

OU_PhD
8/21/2006, 07:43 PM
Anyone hearing this? Apparently he's interested (or so they're saying on the radio). I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know where this is coming from?

I'd certainly welcome him in.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 07:44 PM
No chance, IMO.

CatfishSooner
8/21/2006, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't mind it..

Soonerus
8/21/2006, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't mind it..

tough tour of duty...

Snrfn4ever08
8/21/2006, 07:53 PM
god knows we could use a qb, especially one of keller's caliber

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 07:55 PM
Is this the kid who just abandoned his team-mates at ASU? Hmmm. We don't need any more self-absorbed, team-wrecking QB's around here, thank you. I'd rather put Hays McEachern under center.

4everasooner
8/21/2006, 07:58 PM
I watch the Pac-10 well and this kid is a cancer. His interveiws on T.V. and in the papers were just awful. Please do not let us fall for this Pri*K.

Rhino
8/21/2006, 08:30 PM
All the rumors of him coming here have come from hopeful OU fans.

sooner94
8/21/2006, 08:44 PM
Who knows if he really is a headcase or not? Maybe he's a good kid.

But even if there is a chance he is a headcase, then we should not even consider it. Like a said, more guys like Josh Heupel.

mrowl
8/21/2006, 08:54 PM
there should be a big ? after the title of this thread

goingoneight
8/21/2006, 08:59 PM
Well, I have no problem with bringing top-tier talent from wherever we can get it... Especially since we know what OUr coaching staff does when the "talent" either doesn't work out, doesn't get along with anyone or cheats...

Bring him on... Meet Coach Stoops.

boomrsoonr
8/21/2006, 09:26 PM
If the rumors about his off-field behavior are true, Stoops won't even entertain the thought of bringing him here. No way will Stoops put up with that.

Of course, they're just rumors, but if true, this guy makes Bomar look like a Saint.

tulsaoilerfan
8/21/2006, 09:38 PM
We don't need any more QB headcases, thank you very much

sooneron
8/21/2006, 09:44 PM
pass

on keller

Egeo
8/21/2006, 10:26 PM
i heard he's a coke head
dont know if its true

i know he was a good qb at asu... but i dont really want him here for only a year
he's a senior but hasnt been redshirted

Snrfn4ever08
8/21/2006, 10:38 PM
you know, whether he's a headcase or not, he may be worth the risk. i may take this back once the season starts, because honestly, i don't know what to expect, but we're in trouble at qb for a few years unless bradford or halzle develops very nicely. we would only waste a scholarship on this kid for one year because he's already a senior. we might be screwed with or without him, but i think the reward for trying far outweighs the risk of failure. just my opinon though

jccouger
8/21/2006, 10:41 PM
If he wants to come I say we let him. He is worth the risk.

Rhino
8/21/2006, 11:03 PM
I heard he eats babies.

He's never gone on record saying he doesn't.

Maybe he's too busy eating babies!

msteudem
8/21/2006, 11:05 PM
Is he related to Helen?

snp
8/21/2006, 11:08 PM
This is a stupid, stupid thread.

Sooner98
8/21/2006, 11:15 PM
If he is a mental case, the good thing is he'd only be here a year. Might be worth the risk, considering what we've got in the cupboard for next year.

Snrfn4ever08
8/21/2006, 11:17 PM
If he is a mental case, the good thing is he'd only be here a year. Might be worth the risk, considering what we've got in the cupboard for next year.
my point exactly

Egeo
8/22/2006, 01:04 AM
I heard he eats babies.

He's never gone on record saying he doesn't.

Maybe he's too busy eating babies!
is that a jab at me?

Egeo
8/22/2006, 01:08 AM
rumor of him to nebraska
http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/3702661.html

WA. Sooner
8/22/2006, 02:24 AM
let him go to nebraska

olevetonahill
8/22/2006, 02:36 AM
is that a jab at me?
the Way to get in trouble here is to start taking **** personal . Lighten up and let your skin get a little thicker ;)

LoyalFan
8/22/2006, 05:27 AM
Is he related to Helen?

Sotp tath^ an d fi yuo d'unt iM gunna skreem mi hnds off@!

Skinnserly,

Helln

Desert Sapper
8/22/2006, 05:36 AM
I think maybe we need to concentrate on creating our own problems, rather than taking over somebody else's. In other words, we need to recruit a kid that can fall into and learn our system. Pulling in a kid like this, so late in the game is like buying a used car (only in this case, the car is on fire).

soonerlaw
8/22/2006, 09:02 AM
It would have been better if Keller had been named starter (after the Coach woke up) and the sophomore kid t/ferred to OU.

VolinArizona
8/22/2006, 09:09 AM
Gotta love people on the interwebs.

I received some feedback on my comment of "No chance, IMO"

The comment on my neg spek was:

""IMO?" Who the **** asked you? You're a ****ing idiot. You have no idea WTF you're talking about"

Who asked me? Well, the OP asked everyone, sooooooooooooooooooo.

The Consumate Showman
8/22/2006, 09:16 AM
Keller's going to Nebbish.

If you think we're going to risk a scholly on a kid like Keller, you need to revisit your thoughts on our program. Stoops isn't going to let a player be or try to be bigger than our program and that's exactly what Keller would become here.

Paul is the QB, end of story and Halzle will probably be the QB next year. Quit worrying about a-hole QB's that abandon their teams........Ninja, agree 100% w/u.

Blitzkrieg
8/22/2006, 10:00 AM
I heard he passed out at 31 flavors last night.

King Crimson
8/22/2006, 10:02 AM
Nebraska is what i'm hearing.

soonerhubs
8/22/2006, 10:18 AM
Lighten up ;)
Are you calling me fat??!?!:pop:

CU Sooner
8/22/2006, 10:21 AM
Who knows he may fit right in with a real coach. I mean how do you respond when the coach ask you if you want to share time with the other qb and you say no and he says he will just have to make a tough decision and then makes the decision and then asks other players what they think of the decision and they don't like it and then he changes his mind. (how's that for run-on sentences) I'm sure playing for a coach who has a set would be welcomed.

The Maestro
8/22/2006, 10:23 AM
Man, I don't know where some of you people get your information, but you must follow every internet rumor you hear. Imagine you are a senior, you sit for two years to begin your career behind a proven leader and wait your turn. That senior, during your sophomore year, gets hurt late in the season. You get to start the bowl game. You throw for 450 yards in that bowl game. You come into your junior year ready to go. You throw for 450 yards against LSU. You have your team beating USC at halftime. You get hurt. A freshman comes in and plays well. Then you come into your senior season in a QB battle. Towards the middle of camp the coach names you a starter. Then, two days later, changes his mind cause the sophomore-to-be behind you threatens to transfer. So, Sam Keller is left being backdoored by his coach cause he decided to let the inmates run the asylum.

Trust me, out here in the AZ, no one is bashing Keller and the head coach, Dirk Koetter, is taking a beating for his handling of the situation. Remember, this guy has a history of not being able to make up his mind. He was going to be the OSU coach and then changed it to ASU.

As far as Keller being a bad seed, coke head, party boy...LINK? He's 6'4, 230, very mobile and is a proto-type NFL player. He's got a future and he is exploring his options. I did just read on azcentral.com that Keller was unanimously selected as a captain of the team by his teammates and is on track to graduate in four years. Sounds REAL bad!!!

Now Nebraska is getting the most attention right now from Keller, but what is their O-line, backfield and receiver situation looking like next year? Plus, a winter in Tempe is MUCH different than a winter in Lincoln. With what OU has in the cupboard next year I think it is AT LEAST worth a phone call or visit from Josh Huepel to see Keller. Josh was at AZ and HAS to know what kind of talent Keller is. I'm sure the coaching staff can sell a home game against Miami, the Texas game, national exposure and a possible shot at a national title more than Callahan can sell, um, whatever it is they sell at Nebraska these days.

I just hope the coaches are exploring the option. If they find out he is a bad apple, fine...of course we don't want that. But if they find out that he is just very upset about losing a job he had earned and then it was stripped of him and he just wants to play football--go for it.

snp
8/22/2006, 11:08 AM
If you think we're going to risk a scholly on a kid like Keller, you need to revisit your thoughts on our program. Stoops isn't going to let a player be or try to be bigger than our program and that's exactly what Keller would become here.

Where do some of you get these ridiculous notions that Stoops only allows saints into his program? Are you guys forgetting JD Quinn (Super *******) and Rhett Bomar (I know I defended him, but looks like I was wrong). There are several more less-than perfect players on the team as well.

VolinArizona
8/22/2006, 11:51 AM
Man, I don't know where some of you people get your information, but you must follow every internet rumor you hear. Imagine you are a senior, you sit for two years to begin your career behind a proven leader and wait your turn. That senior, during your sophomore year, gets hurt late in the season. You get to start the bowl game. You throw for 450 yards in that bowl game. You come into your junior year ready to go. You throw for 450 yards against LSU. You have your team beating USC at halftime. You get hurt. A freshman comes in and plays well. Then you come into your senior season in a QB battle. Towards the middle of camp the coach names you a starter. Then, two days later, changes his mind cause the sophomore-to-be behind you threatens to transfer. So, Sam Keller is left being backdoored by his coach cause he decided to let the inmates run the asylum.

Trust me, out here in the AZ, no one is bashing Keller and the head coach, Dirk Koetter, is taking a beating for his handling of the situation. Remember, this guy has a history of not being able to make up his mind. He was going to be the OSU coach and then changed it to ASU.

As far as Keller being a bad seed, coke head, party boy...LINK? He's 6'4, 230, very mobile and is a proto-type NFL player. He's got a future and he is exploring his options. I did just read on azcentral.com that Keller was unanimously selected as a captain of the team by his teammates and is on track to graduate in four years. Sounds REAL bad!!!

Now Nebraska is getting the most attention right now from Keller, but what is their O-line, backfield and receiver situation looking like next year? Plus, a winter in Tempe is MUCH different than a winter in Lincoln. With what OU has in the cupboard next year I think it is AT LEAST worth a phone call or visit from Josh Huepel to see Keller. Josh was at AZ and HAS to know what kind of talent Keller is. I'm sure the coaching staff can sell a home game against Miami, the Texas game, national exposure and a possible shot at a national title more than Callahan can sell, um, whatever it is they sell at Nebraska these days.

I just hope the coaches are exploring the option. If they find out he is a bad apple, fine...of course we don't want that. But if they find out that he is just very upset about losing a job he had earned and then it was stripped of him and he just wants to play football--go for it.

Koetter is 100% the reason this happened. I fully expect him to be fired at season's end, unless they score 10+ wins.

JPNSKER
8/22/2006, 12:17 PM
Now Nebraska is getting the most attention right now from Keller, but what is their O-line, backfield and receiver situation looking like next year? Plus, a winter in Tempe is MUCH different than a winter in Lincoln.

NU will have 90% of the O-line, 100% of the backfield and about 90% of the receivers back from this year, BUT, we have young inexperienced back-ups at the QB position. Keller will be a perfect fit, IMHO.

Also, have you been to Lincoln anytime through December in the last 7-8 years? We usually have 40-60 degree weather through December. Everything thinks it's so freaking cold up here, but that doesn't really hit until late January....

The Consumate Showman
8/22/2006, 12:27 PM
Where do some of you get these ridiculous notions that Stoops only allows saints into his program? Are you guys forgetting JD Quinn (Super *******) and Rhett Bomar (I know I defended him, but looks like I was wrong). There are several more less-than perfect players on the team as well.

Herein lies the problem. I don't "think" you can possibly know EXACTLY what to expect from an incoming HS senior. Now, that being said, I do think that there are certain "warning signs" that a coach and other players must recognize and it is their explicit responsibility to call that particualr player/s out on it or get them help much like we did DD. I don't think that OU is a squeaky clean program, but I think it's pretty fair to say that we are a little better than some other nationally known programs out there.

Oh, btw, if all of this is really true about Keller, who knows? But I have heard a lot of talk that he is strongly leaning Nebbish's way and that it is pretty much a sealed deal.

You've got to remember this though guys. Keller is a throwing QB and Billy-boy runs the West coast up there, so Keller may feel he has a better situaiton to learn a more pro-style O up there than at OU. Keep in mind that We are starting to recruit guys now that can run & throw. I think with KW at the controls, we might be getting away moreso of the J White days at OU, unless we have to tailor our O to fit that scenario. But look at the guys we're recruiting now: Garcia(dual), Newton(dual), Burns(dual).....

The Maestro
8/22/2006, 12:30 PM
NU will have 90% of the O-line, 100% of the backfield and about 90% of the receivers back from this year, BUT, we have young inexperienced back-ups at the QB position. Keller will be a perfect fit, IMHO.

Also, have you been to Lincoln anytime through December in the last 7-8 years? We usually have 40-60 degree weather through December. Everything thinks it's so freaking cold up here, but that doesn't really hit until late January....

Hey, no disrespect to Nebraska, but if Sam is from Cali and lives in Tempe, Lincoln will be culture shock from a weather standpoint. Even if it doesn't get really nasty until January, where's Sam going to be living then?

Weather aside, I just think OU's chances next year with a solid QB versus Nebraska have to point in the favor of OU. I can't imagine that your receivers or backs are even in the ballpark of ours...just sayin'.

The Maestro
8/22/2006, 12:32 PM
You've got to remember this though guys. Keller is a throwing QB and Billy-boy runs the West coast up there, so Keller may feel he has a better situaiton to learn a more pro-style O up there than at OU. Keep in mind that We are starting to recruit guys now that can run & throw. I think with KW at the controls, we might be getting away moreso of the J White days at OU, unless we have to tailor our O to fit that scenario. But look at the guys we're recruiting now: Garcia(dual), Newton(dual), Burns(dual).....

Sam Keller is every bit the athlete Rhett was. Very good runner. 6'4, 230 and a great athlete.

King Crimson
8/22/2006, 12:37 PM
Hey, no disrespect to Nebraska, but if Sam is from Cali and lives in Tempe, Lincoln will be culture shock from a weather standpoint. Even if it doesn't get really nasty until January, where's Sam going to be living then?

I think Keller is from western Colorado. FWIW. FYI.

JPNSKER
8/22/2006, 12:38 PM

Weather aside, I just think OU's chances next year with a solid QB versus Nebraska have to point in the favor of OU. I can't imagine that your receivers or backs are even in the ballpark of ours...just sayin'.

No disrespect taken, Maestro. I hear what you're saying. If I could move south for 2 months out of the year, I would.;)

I'm not going to blow hype on your board about NU's backs & receivers, but I think a lot of people will see a different light at the end of this year. Our backfield, especially..

OUDoc
8/22/2006, 12:43 PM
I'm not going to blow hype on your board about NU's backs & receivers, but I think a lot of people will see a different light at the end of this year. Our backfield, especially..
I remember thinking that every year when we had Blake. Then we'd put 12 men on the field and a DB as QB. Keep the faith, brother!

royalfan5
8/22/2006, 12:46 PM
I remember thinking that every year when we had Blake. Then we'd put 12 men on the field and a DB as QB. Keep the faith, brother!
But we don't give Blake any authority on game days. We're not relying on him to make decisions or count or anything fancy like that, like y'all did. We're just paying him for his sparkling personality.

King Crimson
8/22/2006, 12:49 PM
But we don't give Blake any authority on game days. We're not relying on him to make decisions or count or anything fancy like that, like y'all did. We're just paying him for his sparkling personality.

well, you've certainly got a genius in the authority position. GBR.

royalfan5
8/22/2006, 12:53 PM
well, you've certainly got a genius in the authority position. GBR.
We get 11 guys on the field at a time, and actually recruit real football players again, instead whatever the hell Solich thought he was doing. I'm not going to complain at this point.

The Maestro
8/22/2006, 12:53 PM

Funny story I heard about Blake when he was with the Dallas Cowboys under Switzer. The team called him "Back 'em up, Boo". That was basically the only real job he had under Switzer. When they got a sideline warning, Switz would turn to JB and say, "Back 'em up, Boo".

God love the King, but his endorsement of Blake to OU rivals his decision to get into the restaurant business.

King Crimson
8/22/2006, 12:57 PM
We get 11 guys on the field at a time, and actually recruit real football players again, instead whatever the hell Solich thought he was doing. I'm not going to complain at this point.

of course, he comes across as an ******* and a sore loser on TV more than once and embarrasses your proud tradition....and is what 13-11 as HC at NU?

he spends a lot of time "studying up" on Nebraska tradition but somehow misses the orange tossing.....the guy is a fraud.

JPNSKER
8/22/2006, 12:58 PM
You beat me to it, royal.

Fortunately for us, Maestro, we don't get our bad decisions plastered all over the media. I think Tom made the same bad decision with Solich....

JohnnyMack
8/22/2006, 12:59 PM
Pass.

The Maestro
8/22/2006, 01:01 PM
You beat me to it, royal.

Fortunately for us, Maestro, we don't get our bad decisions plastered all over the media. I think Tom made the same bad decision with Solich....

Is that why Tom lost the Governor's race in Nebraska? I couldn't believe that one!

Hey, we are getting off topic. I called dibs on Keller...in fact, I e-mailed him awhile ago and explained the pros and cons of OU-NU. That should do the trick!

royalfan5
8/22/2006, 01:02 PM
of course, he comes across as an ******* and a sore loser on TV more than once and embarrasses your proud tradition....and is what 13-11 as HC at NU?

he spends a lot of time "studying up" on Nebraska tradition but somehow misses the orange tossing.....the guy is a fraud.
And drunk driving Frankie would be less of an embarressment? I could care less if OU fans like Callahan or not, and I could care less about what outsiders think of our tradition. Callahan has done a good job of making the changes with in the program that needed to make, and that Solich wasn't willing to. I would rather Callahan worry about football than Big VIII tradition. I think tossing oranges in a game that wasn't for the confrence championship is a fraud, not to mention Nebraska quit doing it after a cop ended up with brain damage from a frozen orange.

royalfan5
8/22/2006, 01:03 PM
Is that why Tom lost the Governor's race in Nebraska? I couldn't believe that one!

Hey, we are getting off topic. I called dibs on Keller...in fact, I e-mailed him awhile ago and explained the pros and cons of OU-NU. That should do the trick!
It's because he had Switzer come up here and campaign for him.

Egeo
8/22/2006, 01:09 PM
i like to make stuff up cause its fun
http://arizonastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1054&tid=77488122&sid=&style=2

i just posted what i heard from asu students
http://www.utopiacollegesports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1047744&postcount=32

http://www.utopiacollegesports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1047766&postcount=34

King Crimson
8/22/2006, 01:16 PM
http://dirtylaundryblog.blogspot.com/2006/08/billy-c-might-not-be-for-me.html

royalfan5
8/22/2006, 01:21 PM
http://dirtylaundryblog.blogspot.com/2006/08/billy-c-might-not-be-for-me.html
Some where there is a box that's missing a craftsman.

Readyfor8
8/22/2006, 01:57 PM
He belongs at Nebbish, they will take him right where he belongs.... straight down the crapper...

JPNSKER
8/22/2006, 02:05 PM

Heh... He's sitting right here, I'll ask him to check his email for you...:D

handcrafted
8/22/2006, 02:07 PM
Gotta love people on the interwebs.

I received some feedback on my comment of "No chance, IMO"

The comment on my neg spek was:

""IMO?" Who the **** asked you? You're a ****ing idiot. You have no idea WTF you're talking about"

Who asked me? Well, the OP asked everyone, sooooooooooooooooooo.

Heh, there's somebody here who regularly negs people with almost that exact same comment. It used to just come up as gray-spek. Troll-bait, I'm thinkin'.

The Consumate Showman
8/22/2006, 02:10 PM
:pop:
Sam Keller is every bit the athlete Rhett was. Very good runner. 6'4, 230 and a great athlete.

That may be, but he doesn't come from a traditional "running" type offense. ASU is pretty pass happy if I remember correctly that last time I watched them...throwing for 450 yards(LsU I think, right???) and it seemed like at least a 300-350 yard passing outing every time ASU hit the field, very Saxet Tech-Like...

Keller might be able to run around, but I don't think he has grown accustomed to it like he might HAVE to if he came to OU.

Being in a passing offense, he will insure some pretty good chances that he won't get hurt; therefore, making him more appealing in the draft, at least i would imagine that he might be thinking that...

handcrafted
8/22/2006, 02:12 PM
There's a 70% chance that Keller is going to OU right after Stoops leaves for Dallas by way of Kansas City and Florida...

VolinArizona
8/22/2006, 02:21 PM
Heh, there's somebody here who regularly negs people with almost that exact same comment. It used to just come up as gray-spek. Troll-bait, I'm thinkin'.

Who is this mystery man or woman? He or she should definitely get some spek for a good trolling!

stoopified
8/22/2006, 02:24 PM
Is this the kid who just abandoned his team-mates at ASU? Hmmm. We don't need any more self-absorbed, team-wrecking QB's around here, thank you. I'd rather put Hays McEachern under center.Amen brother.

sparx1
8/22/2006, 04:12 PM
I am an AZ resident and following the fast developing news. Here is what I know to date:

(1) There have been NO rumors of misbehavior by Keller at least publicly, so I doubt that thought has any merit.
(2) Keller truly got screwed by his non-thinking coach. Before the fall practices....the coach said fall practice would determine who started. Both players are good and both worked competitively.
(3) Went down to wire, with neither player clearly distinguishing himself....but both doing reasonably well. On the last day of practice (and predicted ahead of time)...the Coach called a press conference and announced they both did well....but loyalty and seniority gave the job to Keller.
(4) Apparently coach was so out of touch with team that he was surprised when team leaders came to him and begged to go the other way with Carpenter and his future.
(5) Koetter CAVED immediately.
(6) Don't like anybody leaving their team and puting. Team support is certainly important....but sheeze for the coach to let himself to be drawn into announcing the starter with zero input from key players and staff is a real blunder. And the competition was public with the elated Keller in the press complimenting his competitor upon the announcement.

This mornings paper had big article about Keller considering OU...and several other places...but article headlines was Keller to Nebraska. Apparently his dad is linked with pro football and knows Callahan.

Regardless, out of fairness, we should not badmouth Keller at this juncture....but neither should we take him. We have four available QB's this year with three back next year and an opportunity to recruit. JWS

Octavian
8/22/2006, 04:22 PM
I havent read this whole thread but the ESPN ticker just said that Joe Schad has reported that Keller will transfer to Nebraska

colleyvillesooner
8/22/2006, 04:26 PM
I havent read this whole thread but the ESPN ticker just said that Joe Schad has reported that Keller will transfer to Nebraska

Source: ASU's Keller will enroll at NebraskaESPN.com news services

Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller is expected to enroll at Nebraska, a source close to Keller told ESPN.com's Joe Schad on Tuesday.

Rick Scuteri/US Presswire
Sam Keller, seen here during an Arizona State scrimmage, was one of the top-rated passers in Division I-A in 2005 before he got hurt.
An official announcement is expected Thursday. Keller, who was named the Sun Devils' starting quarterback on Friday only to lose the job to sophomore Rudy Carpenter two days later, had also considered transferring to Louisville or UTEP, not Colorado or Oklahoma, as reported elsewhere, the source said.

Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com reported earlier that Keller was told Monday by ASU coach Dirk Koetter that he would be released from his scholarship.

Keller's mother, Melissa Coveney, told Schad late Monday night that an official announcement was not likely until Thursday. But on Tuesday morning, Schad reported that Nebraska coaches had discussed Keller's pending arrival and that Nebraska's quarterbacks had been briefed on the decision.

Mike Keller, the quarterback's father, is a former professional football player and knows Nebraska coach Bill Callahan. Keller would have one season of eligibility left and would succeed senior Zac Taylor as Nebraska's starting QB in 2007.

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star reported on its Web site Monday night that two sources close to the Cornhuskers program said Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell had phoned the team's quarterbacks to inform them of the coaches' intent to bring Keller aboard. One of the sources, however, said "it's not a done deal."

The newspaper also reported that Mike Keller said his son had been released from his scholarship by Arizona State.

Keller, who started seven games for Arizona State last season before breaking his thumb, would have to sit out this coming season under NCAA transfer rules if he decides to leave the Sun Devils for another Division I-A program. He would have one season of eligibility remaining in 2007.

Keller was one of the top-rated passers in Division I-A in 2005 before he was hurt, completing 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Carpenter rallied the Sun Devils to a 4-1 record in their last five games last season and was named MVP of Arizona State's 45-40 victory over Rutgers in the Insight Bowl. He led Division I-A in pass efficiency by completing 68 percent of his passes (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards with 17 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

The players were involved in one of the most intense position battles in college football during preseason camp. Koetter announced Keller would be the team's starting quarterback Friday, but then abruptly reversed his decision two days later after meeting with the school's athletic director and a group of team leaders.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's practice.

Keller, from Danville, Calif., would seem to be a perfect fit for Nebraska coach Bill Callahan's West Coast offense. Taylor is a senior, and highly regarded freshman Harrison Beck went AWOL during Nebraska's preseason camp and transferred to North Carolina State.

If Keller leaves Arizona State, the Sun Devils would have only one other scholarship quarterback on their roster: freshman Danny Sullivan.

soonerlaw
8/22/2006, 04:34 PM
First it was Keller, now apparantly Perriloux (Gawd, I hope not) or Matt Stafford from GA who are going to transfer to OU. If its one of these guys or Halzle/Bradford or a new recruit, I'm sure our QB situation will be fine next year.

Octavian
8/22/2006, 04:51 PM

I kinda agree but it'd be a lot better for you if he'd been running the WCO the last few years in the desert.

He's got a year though...should be interesting.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/22/2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I've gotten some brainiac neg spek like that...I just laugh.

Isn't this the guy that ASU named starter then a couple of days later the coach said nevermind we'll go with the Sophmore? That seemed odd to me. So what's the deal with this guy, how and why did he lose the starter and why can he transfer and not lose eligibility?

Octavian
8/22/2006, 04:59 PM
First it was Keller, now apparantly Perriloux (Gawd, I hope not) or Matt Stafford from GA who are going to transfer to OU. If its one of these guys or Halzle/Bradford or a new recruit, I'm sure our QB situation will be fine next year.

where'd you hear that?

royalfan5
8/22/2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I've gotten some brainiac neg spek like that...I just laugh.

Isn't this the guy that ASU named starter then a couple of days later the coach said nevermind we'll go with the Sophmore? That seemed odd to me. So what's the deal with this guy, how and why did he lose the starter and why can he transfer and not lose eligibility?
Keller hasn't used his redshirt year yet, so he has that to use while he sits out a year.

The Consumate Showman
8/22/2006, 07:33 PM
I have an update on this kid. Apparently the rumors about Keller going to Nebbish were brought on by his mom and stepdad. Apparently, they were taking a few liberties by telling people like Schad that Sam was heading to Nebbish.

It seems now that Keller is still mulling things over and trying to decide where he should go to best fit his needs and try to find a school that can contend for a NC.

If this is true, OU has a great opportunity to sign him. Oh, btw, I wasn't high on him earlier in the day, but after calling around and checking out a couple of folks I know, it REALLY sounds like the ASU coach is a complete ******. Keller could really give us a lot of hope for '07 and get us a legit shot at a NC.

The Consumate Showman
8/22/2006, 07:36 PM
Also, remember guys, reporters like Joe Schad, Andy Kats, Kurkejan, and others are put on EXTREME PRESSURE by the ESPN execs to break stories as fast as they can, so when they get ANY kind of info that might be seen as "somewhat" credible and a "likely" scenario...they will RUN with it, even if there is a chance that it's wrong. I know it's running across the ticker that Keller is going to Nebbish, but we might want to hold the phones and our collective breath's for a moment until Thursday when an official announcement is expected.

KC//CRIMSON
8/22/2006, 08:16 PM
Stop the press! Huskers on hold as Keller considers other options.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2557997

Desert Sapper
8/22/2006, 08:34 PM

Any links?

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2006, 08:49 PM
Any links?

Those rumors have been shot down.

Harry Beanbag
8/22/2006, 08:57 PM
Whoa, there's a lot of smoke billowing out of the Rivals pay board about this. When do classes start at OU? Wouldn't he have to be enrolled before then in order to start the one year sit-out clock? Seems like we should know for sure very soon.

goingoneight
8/22/2006, 08:59 PM
Is it unconstitutional to tap Mike Leach's phone line? He always had a good eye for QBs!!! :D j/k...

VolinArizona
8/22/2006, 09:50 PM

I haven't heard any of these, and I'm a huge SEC guy. Like others have asked, do you have sources? It'd be crazy for either of them to transfer, because they'll both start at least 2 years.

Husker In Oklahoma
8/23/2006, 07:53 AM
For the last time, he wasn't ****ed about oranges being thrown, he was ****ed that they were being thrown at the NU coaches and players, hitting many of them. Wouldn't you be ****ed?

XingTheRubicon
8/23/2006, 09:59 AM
For the last time, he wasn't ****ed about oranges being thrown, he was ****ed that they were being thrown at the NU coaches and players, hitting many of them. Wouldn't you be ****ed?

Sounds kinda like a gutless p*ssy to me.

Let's review.....

Gameplan

1. Play to lose, but lose close.
2. Cry about flying fruit.

Yeah, umm, enjoy that thing for a head coach.

Rhino
8/23/2006, 10:16 AM
Is it unconstitutional to tap Mike Leach's phone line? He always had a good eye for QBs!!! :D j/k... somewhere, jkm is laughing uncontrollably.

The Maestro
8/23/2006, 10:28 AM
Here is the latest in the AZ. Sounds like Sam's dad confirms talks with OU. How a call from Heupel, Wilson and Stoops can't be all this guy needs to come to OU is beyond me. Who else can compete with what we have in place for next year, minus a big time QB?

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/0823asumain0823.html

colleyvillesooner
8/23/2006, 10:30 AM
His name would look great on the back of a Sooner Unif....nevermind.

tulsaoilerfan
8/23/2006, 11:21 AM
His name would look great on the back of a Sooner Unif....nevermind.
Maybe we can promise to put the names back on the jerseys to lure him here:D

just kiddin:D

JPNSKER
8/23/2006, 12:11 PM
Here we go again (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2558713)

jdsooner
8/23/2006, 11:33 PM
I'm thinkin' this kid may be a Sooner.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2835733

The Arizona State quarterback's stepfather said that Keller was scheduled to visit Nebraska Wednesday, then be in Norman Thursday to check out OU before making a decision.

Keller is looking to transfer after losing the starting job at Arizona State last weekend. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Keller is a senior, yet holds a redshirt year, which he reportedly is set to use in hopes of being the starter for the Sooners or Cornhuskers in 2007.

“It’s down to two schools, Nebraska and Oklahoma,’’ said Bob Coveney, the player’s stepfather. “I think either would be a good fit.

“Both are good schools with good traditions. Both have a need.”

OU and Nebraska enter this season with senior starters and no clear replacement at quarterback for the future. That makes Keller an enticing option, considering the Sooners and the Huskers have plenty of other pieces in place for ’07.

FaninAma
8/23/2006, 11:39 PM
I'm thinkin' this kid may be a Sooner.

http://www.newsok.com/article/2835733

The Arizona State quarterback's stepfather said that Keller was scheduled to visit Nebraska Wednesday, then be in Norman Thursday to check out OU before making a decision.

Keller is looking to transfer after losing the starting job at Arizona State last weekend. The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Keller is a senior, yet holds a redshirt year, which he reportedly is set to use in hopes of being the starter for the Sooners or Cornhuskers in 2007.

“It’s down to two schools, Nebraska and Oklahoma,’’ said Bob Coveney, the player’s stepfather. “I think either would be a good fit.

“Both are good schools with good traditions. Both have a need.”

OU and Nebraska enter this season with senior starters and no clear replacement at quarterback for the future. That makes Keller an enticing option, considering the Sooners and the Huskers have plenty of other pieces in place for ’07.

Man, that would send the horn fans straight up the wall.

sooneron
8/23/2006, 11:54 PM
No, almost ALL oranges that I saw thrown went well past the NU bench, unlike the husker mighty WCO passing attack. Face it, your coach is a ***** that was in friggin oakland and he can't handle a college rivalry that is practically long dead. Y'all had a nice run whe we sucked. I look forward to you finishing 2nd to isu and ku.

royalfan5
8/24/2006, 07:55 AM
No, almost ALL oranges that I saw thrown went well past the NU bench, unlike the husker mighty WCO passing attack. Face it, your coach is a ***** that was in friggin oakland and he can't handle a college rivalry that is practically long dead. Y'all had a nice run whe we sucked. I look forward to you finishing 2nd to isu and ku.
If NU finishes behind two teams wouldn't that make them 3rd instead of 2nd?