PDA

View Full Version : What will be "the play" this year against texas?

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 07:03 PM
This is the history of "The Texas Special", as far as I can tell:

2000 - I can't remember?
2001 - End-around/hand-off to motioning Split End.
2002 - Quick-snap sweep toss
2003 - Frog Draw
2004 - The "fling"
2005 - Did we have one? I don't think we ever got untracked enough to see it if it existed.

2006 - What will it be?????????????????????????

As if we could guess it . . . but I'm going to give it a try some ideas:

First thought: The big-boy set - 5 wides looking for size mismatches: Finley, Gresham, Kelly, Chaney, Tunnell. At the very least, that would get U.T. to burn a time-out?

okcHORN71
8/21/2006, 07:05 PM
This is going to be a great year. Hook em

RADsooner
8/21/2006, 07:13 PM
In 2005 we had one,but they screwed it up.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 07:50 PM
In 2005 we had one,but they screwed it up.

What was it? & who screwed it up - us or them? That game is a complete blurr.

OUTrumpet
8/21/2006, 08:20 PM

Probably a bit of both :eek:

AZSOONER
8/21/2006, 08:27 PM
"The play" is going to be a highlight reel of AD running for over 300 yards.

Octavian
8/21/2006, 09:03 PM
Annexation of Puerto Rico

joshuaok
8/21/2006, 09:07 PM
Pass in the flats to AD, after a crack block by a slightly split Gresham.

sooneron
8/21/2006, 09:09 PM
'Bone- you heard it here.

OUstud
8/21/2006, 09:10 PM

Sounds good to me. Or a "pitch to Johnny."

sooneron
8/21/2006, 09:15 PM
2000, I would say it was the option to Q in short yardage
In 02, it was the sprint draw.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 09:19 PM
2000, I would say it was the option to Q in short yardage
In 02, it was the sprint draw.

I'm pretty sure the sprint (a.k.a. frog) draw was in 2003 when Q cut loose for 250 or so. I had forgotten about the option to Q in short yardage - nice call.

proudsoonergal
8/21/2006, 09:24 PM
Q wasn't there in 2003. The delay draw was in 2002, I think.

There was a bit of fumblerooskie in 2002, if I'm right. Wasn't that the year somebody fumbled inside the 5 and Q picked it up for a TD? Not planned, but good result. :)

sooneron
8/21/2006, 09:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the sprint (a.k.a. frog) draw was in 2003 when Q cut loose for 250 or so. I had forgotten about the option to Q in short yardage - nice call.
The chick beat me to it. Props to her.

westcoast_sooner
8/21/2006, 09:31 PM
PT fakes a handoff to AD, drops back, throws a deep one down the sideline - Malcolm Kelly to the 10, to the 5, TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!!!!

Octavian
8/21/2006, 09:35 PM

There was a bit of fumblerooskie in 2002, if I'm right. Wasn't that the year somebody fumbled inside the 5 and Q picked it up for a TD? Not planned, but good result. :)

even our female fans are glorious beacons of college football knowledge.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 09:49 PM
even our female fans are glorious beacons of college football knowledge.

True, True. I salute you proudsoonergal. :rolleyes: Thanks for the refresher!

But I need help, I confess. Was only Kejuan running the ball in 2003, then? Man, perhaps it was so bad that I've blocked it from my mind?

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 09:53 PM
PT fakes a handoff to AD, drops back, throws a deep one down the sideline - Malcolm Kelly to the 10, to the 5, TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!!!!

While I would be happy to settle for this play on a recurring basis, I think we're looking for something with a touch more originality & the element of surprise . . . ;)

But I'll say it again; if this is the play that Stoops pulls out of his hat and it repeats itself successfully several times, then I'm all for it!!!

sooneron
8/21/2006, 09:57 PM
True, True. I salute you proudsoonergal. :rolleyes: Thanks for the refresher!

But I need help, I confess. Was only Kejuan running the ball in 2003, then? Man, perhaps it was so bad that I've blocked it from my mind?
I believe that Kejuan, Renaldo and Donta all had carries in 03.

Soonerus
8/21/2006, 09:58 PM
Tightend-rooski

Miko
8/21/2006, 10:03 PM
With nine in the box, ENA hands off to AD who tosses back to ENA who slightly underthrows a wide open Wolfe. He's gone. Take down the model airplanes and rent the room, mamma, he ain't coming back! :D

Desert Sapper
8/21/2006, 10:08 PM
I'm going to guess some sort of misdirection (Reggie, maybe) to take advantage of overpursuit, a deep play action pass to counter the 8 in the box (and to take advantage of the 'PT can't throw deep' philosophy), or a screen to AD, because AD is just too good to stop.

goingoneight
8/21/2006, 10:12 PM

Bob Barry: "This is Juaqin Kelly... breaking free-- TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!! What a great strike by Paul Thomas!!!"

goingoneight
8/21/2006, 10:14 PM
Uh-oh, look out!!! Reggie Murray could go all the way... and he's gone. Good--night what a run! 95 yards from the 20!!!

heh.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 10:25 PM
With nine in the box, ENA hands off to AD who tosses back to ENA who slightly underthrows a wide open Wolfe. He's gone. Take down the model airplanes and rent the room, mamma, he ain't coming back! :D

I would love to see a flea-flicker; but let's remember that a "Texas Special" play is not, by definition, a trick play. It's something new that catches Texas off-guard and can be run multiple times - 4-5 times at least - during the course of the game. It's a new formation, a variation/counter off an existing set or play we've run consistently to that point. Or it capitalizes on a new strength/athlete that TX has yet to account for in its game-plan.

I think we could end up doing some creative stuff with Jermaine Gresham, perhaps - some stuff that would keep Texas on its heals.

Now, if we're going to talk trick plays . . . I think the thing that would REALLY catch everyone by surprise is when we're at about the 12 yard line and ENA hands off to AD on a sweep right, and all of a sudden as he crossed the hash lines in a dead sprint Adrian pulls up throws (launches/shot puts/lobs) a pass to the back of the end zone where Jermaine Gresham leaps over the outstretched arms of two reeling texas defenders to haul in the game-winning TD.

Come on. Doesn't that make your spine tingle!?!:D

proudsoonergal
8/21/2006, 10:26 PM
Direct snap to AD, who throws a perfect spiral to ENA streaking down the sideline. Perfect pass, perfect catch, perfect run and perfect end to the 2006 edition of the RRSO

proudsoonergal
8/21/2006, 10:28 PM
Hmm.... great minds? :) It would certainly help his Heisman chances.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 10:28 PM
I'm going to guess some sort of misdirection (Reggie, maybe) to take advantage of overpursuit, a deep play action pass to counter the 8 in the box (and to take advantage of the 'PT can't throw deep' philosophy), or a screen to AD, because AD is just too good to stop.

A screen is not a bad thought. I could see us using AD as a decoy to get Reggie some extra space in a slip screen. Or even do a double-screen with Jermaine Gresham opposite AD? Fun stuff.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 10:31 PM

I could definitely see Reggie showing up huge in the RRSO.

Desert Sapper
8/21/2006, 10:32 PM
A screen is not a bad thought. I could see us using AD as a decoy to get Reggie some extra space in a slip screen. Or even do a double-screen with Jermaine Gresham opposite AD? Fun stuff.

I just want the old Bob Stoops back. You know, the one who did anything and everything to win a game (to include a fake FG toss to a third string TE at Mizzou in 2002).

SoonerShark
8/21/2006, 10:37 PM
Surprise play:
Rhett Bomar, tossing off an ebony cloak from the stands, comes running onto the field when OU has the ball at its own one yard line on fourth and 36 with :02 left on the clock, the Sooners down 17-10. Big Red's Big Red Fiasco was all a scam. Bomar has been on-line taking classes at OU, keeping him eligible. Bomar takes the snap, running around in the endzone as time runs out on the clock. Just as he is being tackled, Bomar throws the ball down field to Paul Thompson who catches the ball at the Sooner 37, shakes off a Longhorn tackler and takes it in for the score. The Sooners decide to go for 2 and AD is stopped short of the goal line, however, the Longhorn defensive tackle jumped offsides. On the following play, two way star Reggie Smith scores on a reverse. After the game, Bob Stoops apologizes for putting the Sooner fans through so much turmoil, but recognizes that the look on Mack Brown's face was priceless.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 10:42 PM
Surprise play:
Rhett Bomar, tossing off an ebony cloak from the stands, comes running onto the field when OU has the ball at its own one yard line on fourth and 36 with :02 left on the clock, the Sooners down 17-10. Big Red's Big Red Fiasco was all a scam. Bomar has been on-line taking classes at OU, keeping him eligible. Bomar takes the snap, running around in the endzone as time runs out on the clock. Just as he is being tackled, Bomar throws the ball down field to Paul Thompson who catches the ball at the Sooner 37, shakes off a Longhorn tackler and takes it in for the score. The Sooners decide to go for 2 and AD is stopped short of the goal line, however, the Longhorn defensive tackle jumped offsides. On the following play, two way star Reggie Smith scores on a reverse. After the game, Bob Stoops apologizes for putting the Sooner fans through so much turmoil, but recognizes that the look on Mack Brown's face was priceless.

It would only be better if Bomar actually did all of those things AFTER being driven onto the field by JD Quinn, who would be at the helm of a late model Candy Apply Red Porsche with a Big Red Auto window treatment.

snp
8/21/2006, 11:41 PM
Fake punt on 2nd down. Real punt on 3rd down. That'll TOTALLY fake them out.

RADsooner
8/22/2006, 12:39 AM

the guy I know never specified what play it was, just that,and I wanna say it was "money in the bank" that did it. :(

MarylandSooner
8/22/2006, 06:38 AM
No special plays needed. We just pound them, pound them, and pound them into submission. Adrian Peterson all day long.

handcrafted
8/22/2006, 02:20 PM
Tightend-rooski

What did you call me you ****?!?! :D

KingDavid
8/22/2006, 02:35 PM
Surprise play:
Rhett Bomar, tossing off.
:D

setem
8/22/2006, 03:32 PM

Sounds good to me. Or a "pitch to Johnny."

Chicken Little Flea Flicker on 2 on 2..... ready....BREAK!

I say we run the ole Hook & Ladder!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5NDjIFGM6Y)

I know it's lateral:D

Herr Scholz
8/22/2006, 03:48 PM
OU QB on his back just like last year.

Desert Sapper
8/22/2006, 07:37 PM
UT QB on his back the whole game just like 5 of the last 6 years including 63-14 and 65-13.

[/URL]

I agree. Your freshman(men?), no matter who is under center will face the best defensive front seven and best secondary they will have faced all season. Ruuufus is an all-american candidate. OUr Defensive ends are the deepest rotation we have ever had at the position. OUr DTs are equally deep and talented. OUr O will do enough to not have to rely on Paul in the pocket like we had to rely on TIOWWDNS (The Idiot of Which We Do Not Speak) in the pocket last year (without AD). We won't beat you with O, but your QBs will be staring blankly at the Dallas sky all afternoon. They will be on their backs all day. In fact, you might actually NEED both QBs. YOU will know why after October 7. Hook 'em

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB7mcs1ykw&mode=related&search="]RRSO Butt-Whipping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHB7mcs1ykw&mode=related&search=)

In case you didn't know, Herr, that's what a real blowout looks like, and that wasn't against a bunch of freshmen in a down year for the program, either.

goingoneight
8/22/2006, 10:01 PM
Sunday is to Monday as Monday is to...

Herr Scholz
8/23/2006, 11:57 AM
Your freshman(men?), no matter who is under center will face the best defensive front seven and best secondary they will have faced all season. Ruuufus is an all-american candidate. OUr Defensive ends are the deepest rotation we have ever had at the position. OUr DTs are equally deep and talented.
I agree your front 7 is stout, but if you think they're going to run roughshod over our OL, you've got another thing coming. The comparison to our front 7 running over your OL last year is not a legitimate one.

...your QBs will be staring blankly at the Dallas sky all afternoon. They will be on their backs all day.
Seriously doubt that. I would be more concerned about our D-line if I were you.

In case you didn't know, Herr, that's what a real blowout looks like, and that wasn't against a bunch of freshmen in a down year for the program, either.
You show a highlight of you beating a FR QB in Vince Young and then discount us beating a FR QB in Rhett Bomar? 45-12 last year was a blowout. Believe it.

jackietreehorn
8/23/2006, 10:59 PM

so...soonergal, what do you look like? are you single?;)

Desert Sapper
8/24/2006, 01:32 AM
I agree your front 7 is stout, but if you think they're going to run roughshod over our OL, you've got another thing coming. The comparison to our front 7 running over your OL last year is not a legitimate one.

Yes, you're right, Herr. Your line will be *ahem* better than last season. I don't think it will be so much our front seven running rough shod over your O-Line, but you're silly if you don't think we'll exploit your QB situation (whatever that amounts to by October). Expect some aggressive pressure on your QB.

Seriously doubt that.

Doubt it all you like, Herr. In fact, I prefer you to vehemently doubt it again and again before 7 October. That will make it that much sweeter when you do the stunned aggie.

You show a highlight of you beating a FR QB in Vince Young and then discount us beating a FR QB in Rhett Bomar?

I don't discount you beating a FR QB. I discount you beating a team of primarily underclassmen without the biggest offensive weapon on the field. A team that, to that point, had not seen much success on the field. We were beaten mentally before we even reached the cotton bowl, and you still only managed to win 45-12. That was your opportunity. An opportunity everybody knew you would have before the season even started. You capitalized. Good for you. It's for real when the #10 team beats the #11 team 63-14, when the #1 team beats the #11 team 65-13, when the #2 team shuts the #5 team out. That's for real. Not the #2 team beating a team that is unranked for the first time in 6 years. Just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at.