PDA

View Full Version : How we win a NC with PT at the helm.

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 06:13 PM
These comments are for everyone who, like me, has that "who are we kidding, am I smoking crack?" feeling when he/she says: "I really think PT can lead us to a championship."

I have been racking my brain to try to come up with a scenario where PT really can lead us through to the promised land. Why? Because even though I'm going to be proud of a 10-2 record or better . . . and even though I'd love an at-large BCS bid . . . and even though I could stand to go 1-12 as long as we throttle Texas . . . the truth is, I've been a freaking crystal addict ever since I saw Bobby hoist that glorious ball in Miami 6 years ago. I am a crystaholic.

So, how can it work? The goal of this post is to see if I can make a rational argument for how it plays out so that we win the National Championship, game by game. The thing we must recognize is that when you have a delicate situation like this one - where there are so many question marks not just with the fans, but also with the players, coaches, and PT himself - you can't just skip to the big games like Oregon, Texas, etc. Every game matters, especially the early ones, as they establish patterns of confidence, play-making, and over-all strength. So I'm only going to take us through the Texas game.

UAB: 1) We need to win convincingly. 2) He can't get picked for a TD. 3) He needs to complete his first long ball (to erase the haunting memories of missing Travis Wilson last year). 4) He needs to have Gresham or Joe John emerge as a comfortable safety valve and a big target. 5) He needs to hit close to a 55% completion rate, meaning he needs to throw a lot of short balls, and let his athletes create.

Washington: 1) We need to win convincingly, again. 2) If not done in game one, PT needs to establish himself as a strong running threat in this game. 3) He needs to complete better than 50% of his passes.

Oregon: 1) We just need to win - even just barely. 2) PT needs to show the character of overcoming some sort of adversity - something that he can feed off when he needs it later in the year. 3) The defense must hold Oregon to under two touchdowns. Bonus: it would be incredible if PT could make some sort of play to swing the game in OU's favor.

MTSU: 1) Blow-out. 2) Starters resting after the first series of the second half. 3) Both back-up QB's get some work and it is clear that they suck. 4) By this game, PT needs to have had at least one game where he throws no INT's. Good for the confidence. 5) By this game, PT needs to have at least 3 rushing TD's on the year.

Texas 1) As long as we win by a point, good enough. 2) PT makes no more than one turnover. 3) Defense scores. 4) One of the receivers makes a surprising early catch (maybe even for a TD) that boosts PT's confidence for the rest of the day. 5) AD breaks free in the 4th quarter after a hard day of pounding, carries us to the win.

. . . . ok. That's enough. I think if we get through Texas with a victory, by then we've got a better quarterback in PT than anything we could have hoped for from Bomar.

Footnote: Here's betting that the annual "Texas Special" play is some sort of power running formation - like three tight ends or even a wish-bone or something. We've got the hogs, the speed at the skill positions, and the size everywhere.

TheGodfather889
8/21/2006, 06:43 PM
I know what you mean by crystalholic. I can't think of anything else I want more than a National Title.

Blues1
8/21/2006, 07:16 PM
Sounds Like a REAL GOOD Plan -- IF we can swing it that way..??
I'm 110% Behind PT as I've stated before -- What worries me a "Little" is

#1. - I think UAB will go for BROKE Like Bama did a few years back....Onsides kick - fake punts - Trick plays of all kinds - 11 man front - 2 man front - whatever they think will confuse our offense and PT....As long as PT holds his "COOL" we should be alright even with all their TRICKS and Confusion tactics....

#2. - IMHO - Washington will play their *Hearts Out* just because they need a BIG WIN SOON to get back towards "Their Days of GLORY" and to keep their coach a few more years he needs some upsets THIS YEAR and hopefully some more next year..?? -AD needs a BIG day and PT with no major mistakes.As the old saying goes - "Anything can happen on any given Saturday afternoon"

#3. - Oregon - We all know the DANGERS there - and they have plenty of reasons to want end the series with a WIN -- IF we come out of Eugene with a "W" we will be a team that's Going to be in a BIG BOWL Game in December or January - IF not t..?? - Then it maybe back to the drawing table..??

3 and 0 at this point and I say WE are on OUR way - anything less like 2 and 1 - 1 and 2 - or 0 and 3 (Won't happen)--- but ---The focus or the making of a Season could be in these FIRST 3 games.....???
For PT and the Team....Once again JMHO....

Gotta Stop Thinkin' and Keep on Rockin' --- :)

KingDavid
8/21/2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds Like a REAL GOOD Plan -- IF we can swing it that way..??
I'm 110% Behind PT as I've stated before -- What worries me a "Little" is

#1. - I think UAB will go for BROKE Like Bama did a few years back....Onsides kick - fake punts - Trick plays of all kinds - 11 man front - 2 man front - whatever they think will confuse our offense and PT....As long as PT holds his "COOL" we should be alright even with all their TRICKS and Confusion tactics....

#2. - IMHO - Washington will play their *Hearts Out* just because they need a BIG WIN SOON to get back towards "Their Days of GLORY" and to keep their coach a few more years he needs some upsets THIS YEAR and hopefully some more next year..?? -AD needs a BIG day and PT with no major mistakes.As the old saying goes - "Anything can happen on any given Saturday afternoon"

#3. - Oregon - We all know the DANGERS there - and they have plenty of reasons to want end the series with a WIN -- IF we come out of Eugene with a "W" we will be a team that's Going to be in a BIG BOWL Game in December or January - IF not t..?? - Then it maybe back to the drawing table..??

3 and 0 at this point and I say WE are on OUR way - anything less like 2 and 1 - 1 and 2 - or 0 and 3 (Won't happen)--- but ---The focus or the making of a Season could be in these FIRST 3 games.....???
For PT and the Team....Once again JMHO....

Gotta Stop Thinkin' and Keep on Rockin' --- :)

All great observations & comments. As succinctly as you've stated things, I still believe that certain things need to happen - specifically for ENA - in those first 3 games, in order for him to be ready to deal the blow to Texas. Like completing that first long ball to Kelly. If he can complete that first one, and hit a couple more after that - it's a huge boost for the psyche of the ENA and the whole squad.

In other words, we could come out of game three being 3-0 and still be pretty shaky if ENA hasn't gotten some confidence going for himself.

OUstud
8/21/2006, 09:04 PM
2 words: spread option.

KingDavid
8/22/2006, 12:30 AM
2 words: spread option.

Tough to reconcile that to Peterson's downhill running style. He's so good when he has a head of steam!

StoopTroup
8/22/2006, 12:41 AM
I wasn't sure we could pull off a MNC this year before "The Idiot" got himself canned.

The thing is this...

The expectations have been lowered and the Media has backed way off OUr team.

I think I feel more confident that PT can pull it off and maybe better than "The Idiot". As I've mentioned more than once so far in other threads...I'll be physically ill during the first three games. I always have just held my breath as we have always seemed to start off slow.

The Texas Game...we better look Darn Good and be undefeated if a MNC is in the cards. Colorado, Missouri, Texas Tech and TAMUflu will be looking for blood on us if we aren't in good shape after a Texas Win.

Finishing with Baylor and the aggies worries me in the fact that if undefeated and let up at the end of the season or injuries have mounted up...well...I might loose my mind if either of those teams were to get in our way then.

Iowa State...wonder if they'll be better than last year?

Desert Sapper
8/22/2006, 01:37 AM
Every time I think of Paul Thompson, I think of Tee Martin. Martin had thrown a total of 16 passes in his career before he took the helm for the Vols and he was following Peyton Manning. I thought last year would be PT's Tee Martin year. I still think he was yanked too soon. He is better than most of us give him credit for. The Vols won a national title behind Martin, not because he won the games for them, but because he didn't lose them. We can win a MNC with PT if he minimizes mistakes and stays cool under pressure. Our defense, like Tennessee's in 1998 will take care of 90% of it. Offense needs to supply the other 10%. PT just needs to make smart decisions, complete enough high-percentage passes to keep opposing Ds honest, and let AD do his thing. Our O-Line is also better than many think.

Parallels I like about the 1998 Vols and us:

1. Tee Martin was mostly unproven. He had some serious doubt following him into the season. He was an athletic QB, following probably one of the best pure pocket passers in the history of the game. Nobody expected him to perform.

2. The defense was lights-out. LB Al Wilson was an AA and was outstanding (read: Ruuuufus). Raynoch Thompson, Shawn Ellis, Deon Grant, and Dwayne Goodrich were awesome. (CJ Ah You, Bird, Thibs, Reggie, Keenan Clayton).

3. The big stars on Offense were WR Peerless Price (Malcolm Kelly) and RB Travis Henry (AD).

4. They played UAB at home.

5. The MNC was played in the Fiesta Bowl (granted, Glendale v. Tempe, but close enough).

My $1.50 ($.02 adjusted for inflation).

Martin: Champion to a T

By B.J. Schecter, Sports Illustrated
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 1999 05:11 PM

(TEMPE, Ariz.) -- -- The moment had finally arrived, something Tee Martin had dreamed of all his life. Tennessee had just won its first national championship since 1951 and thousands of Vols fans decked out in bright orange were well into their second rendition of Rocky Top. But Martin, beads of sweat trickling down his brow, wasn't ready to celebrate. While his teammates were enjoying the moment, Martin sought out Florida State players, to congratulate them for a great season.

This should have been all about Martin -- he completed 11 of 18 passes for 278 yards and two touchdowns in Tennessee's 23-16 victory, which capped off a perfect 13-0 season -- but the junior quarterback wasn't ready to bask in the glory. Playing second fiddle to Peyton Manning for two years taught Martin many things, but none more important than how to stay humble.

How else can you explain Martin constantly going out of his way to accommodate others on Monday night. While his teammates were rejoicing with friends and family, Martin made sure he did every last interview, took every picture and signed every autograph.

After doing one TV interview, Martin met a reporter in the tunnel leading to the Vols locker room when he remembered he had promised to do another interview. All the camera crews were on the other side of the field and Martin could have easily disappeared into the celebration, but he didn't. "Do you think I should go across the field and find them," Martin asked a reporter. "They said they needed me." So he went, dressed in game pants and a cotton T-shirt. One interview turned into five and after 25 minutes Martin left shivering in the cool Arizona night.

It has been a long, arduous road for Tamaurice (Tee) Martin. His mother moved 22 times when Martin was growing up, but Tee was raised by his grandmother, who lived in a rough section of Mobile, Ala., called Birdsville. There, death was almost as common as life, and gunshots could be heard nearly as often as the chirping of birds. To date 12 of Martin's close friends have been killed -- and he played this game for every one of them.
Right before each game Martin thinks about who he's going to dedicate it to. The national championship would go for a larger cause. On the wristband he wore on his left arm, Martin wrote the letters "MOB."
"It's for Mobile," Martin said. "It's where I grew up, where I learned to play the game and where I learned all about life and death. This one was for all of them."

It could also be said that this season was for them. Not many people thought Martin could lead Tennessee to a national title, something golden boy and No. 1 draft pick Peyton Manning couldn't do (heck, Manning couldn't even beat Florida). Martin was in Manning's shadow for most of the season, but with the coveted title he finally has his own identity. Steve Young he's not, but bombs of 76 and 79 yards to Peerless Price on Monday brought visions of Young to Jerry Rice.

After he finished interviews and took endless pictures with Tennessee fans, Martin sat by his locker and talked to his high school coach on a cell phone, reminiscing about old times. As he headed to the team bus, Martin still clutched a sign with his name on it from the interview room. He walked down a small flight of stairs and just before he reached the bottom he threw the sign away. For the first time all night, all season, he didn't need a nametag.

Tee Martin is finally his own man.

Sports Illustrated writer-reporter B.J. Schecter contributed daily reports from the Fiesta Bowl for CNN/SI.com.

By Sports Illustrated
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 1999 03:07 AM

Vols' Martin captures something Manning couldn't

http://smokeys-trail.com/98/t1_tee_ap.jpg Mr. Tee: Martin was 11-of-18 for 278 yards with two touchdown passes to seal a national championship for the Vols AP

TEMPE, Arizona (AP) -- Peyton Manning set all the records. Tee Martin got a national title by completing a perfect season.

Martin, who spent the previous two seasons in the shadow of top NFL draft pick Manning, was the star Monday night as No. 1 Tennessee defeated Florida State 23-16 in the Fiesta Bowl.

"It feels great, it feels great," Martin said in the middle of a wild celebration at midfield. "We had to prove to everybody we were the No. 1 team in the nation. All the adversity we faced - all the guys that went to the NFL last year, all the shoes we had to fill.

"We had a chip on our shoulders," Martin said of the Vols' underdog status for the game despite being the nation's top-ranked team. "We won all our games, we were 12-0, and we still didn't get our respect."

Martin, who was 11-of-18 for 278 yards, had touchdown passes of 79 yards to Peerless Price and 4 yards to Shawn Bryson.

"He played an outstanding game," Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer said. "He knows how to manage a game. He gives you a threat as a runner, he's very difficult to defend. As the season has gone along, he's gotten better and better. I would not trade Tee Martin for anyone in the country."

Martin had thrown just 16 passes in his first two seasons at Tennessee.

"It was like we didn't exist at the university for a couple of years," the junior said last week, recalling how tough it was to be in Manning's shadow for two seasons.

But patience is something Martin learned during a tough childhood in which he changed addresses 22 times and lost a dozen friends to violence or illness. His Volunteers teammates marvel at how he always remains calm under pressure.

"You can tell by each guy's personality what his childhood was like," Tennessee linebacker Al Wilson said. "I've never seen Tee Martin nervous, and I think that's one of his biggest attributes. He's always relaxed."

Martin was shuttled between his mother, grandmother and great-grandmother as a child, learning to adapt quickly to changing situations. The loss of so many friends caused him to develop a cool detachment that keeps him calm on the field.

Such an attitude served him well Monday night against the best pass defense in the country this season.

His first scoring pass, in the second period to Bryson, was set up by a 76-yard bomb to Price. His second TD toss, in the fourth quarter, was another long heave to Price.

And Martin, despite taking a hit in the third quarter that still left him woozy after the game, stayed calm in the closing minutes as Tennessee struggled to hold on to a 23-16 lead.

On a fourth-and-1 play deep in Florida State territory, he completed a swing pass to Bryson to keep the drive alive and run more time off the clock.

"I was surprised to get a pass called when it was fourth and that close," he said. "He was so wide open, I just had to make sure I didn't overthrow him or underthrow him."

Martin, who completed an NCAA-record 24 consecutive passes in a two-game span this season against Alabama and South Carolina, has accounted for 28 touchdowns this season -- 21 through the air and seven on the ground.

And he has done it all with barely a touch of nervousness.

"I just don't get butterflies," he said. "I'm just ready to play on game day. I know how to adjust my attitude before a game."

Egeo
8/22/2006, 03:53 AM
Tough to reconcile that to Peterson's downhill running style. He's so good when he has a head of steam!
he's much better imo when he doesnt get hit on the line of scrimmage - so that makes 2 for the sproption

he ran it ok in the second half vs oregon except for the fumbles which really isnt the sproptions fault

Egeo
8/22/2006, 03:55 AM
he's much better imo when he doesnt get hit on the line of scrimmage - so that makes 2 for the sproption

he ran it ok in the second half vs oregon except for the fumbles which really isnt the sproptions fault
thats a very interesting and hopefully consitent parallel, sapper.

Desert Sapper
8/22/2006, 05:20 AM
thats a very interesting and hopefully consitent parallel, sapper.

Yeah, I have faith in PT. The way I see it, he only has three ways to perform:

1) Steady state -- meaning the same as in the past. He isn't necessarily bad, but isn't great either. He made a decent backup for JW, and got the short end of the stick at TCU. Let's be honest, with the same offensive line, even Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisburger, and Tom Brady would have had some issues in that TCU game.

2) Slightly Better -- meaning he hits about 55-60% of his passes and is competent enough to keep the D off of AD's jockstrap.

3) Much Better -- meaning he lights up the college football world with a blend of passing and running reminiscent of one puke orange player from last season.

I think it's safe to assume he hasn't regressed enough to categorize him as anything less than steady state.

sooneriniowa
8/22/2006, 05:58 AM
ENA will be ENA. Comparisons to other players should not be happening...
Take this for example :

http://www.newsok.com/article/2834452/

Another of the growing reasons to admire Paul Thompson: the kid has a sense of humor.

When it was suggested recently that with so much surrounding talent, Thompson needn't feel pressured to be Superman for the Sooners to succeed, the on-again quarterback grinned and nodded.

And said: "I just need to be Clark Kent."

Very smooth.

And it prompts another idea. For the Sooners to succeed, and by their own high standards, how about this as someone for Thompson to emulate: Donovan Woods, circa 2004.

We know, Sooners fans hate any and all references to that team to the north.

Yet this is a worthy comparison, because of the similar styles and makeups of the two as QBs.

Two years ago, Oklahoma State turned its offense to Woods, then a redshirt freshman, and essentially asked him to do just enough. And not mess things up.

The Cowboys had playmakers in running back Vernand Morency and wide receivers D'Juan Woods and Prentiss Elliott. Tight end was a reliable option with Billy Bajema, now in the NFL. The offensive line was good enough.

OU's situation is better.

Woods went on to quarterback the Cowboys to eight wins with the offense averaging 32.2 points a game. OSU scored 31 points against UCLA and put 35 each on OU and Texas, the latter two losses no thanks to shoddy defense.

OU's defense is far better.

Woods' performance that year? Somewhere between decent and dependable; 13 TD passes, five interceptions. Hardly all-conference, yet quite acceptable.

OU's return at the position could be better.

Thompson and Woods aren't that different. Their greatest assets may be strong leadership. And running ability. Their biggest knocks: passing accuracy.

Both were even bumped to other positions.

Now Thompson's been summoned back. And he comes with advantages over Woods of '04.

Thompson is older, more experienced, more savvy and sure to be trusted with more of the Sooner playbook.

In OSU's '04 opener, Woods was allowed but eight pass attempts, of which he completed two. Still the Cowboys popped UCLA 31-20 with a heavy dose of Morency, who was Option A all season.

Adrian Peterson will fill that prominent role for OU.

Meanwhile, Thompson can thrive playing superhero sidekick.

For the Cowboys in 2004, eight wins was a mighty accomplishment.

Considering the superior supporting cast, similar QB play translates to double-digit wins for OU.

boomersooner28
8/22/2006, 09:54 AM
Can we replace all of the PT's with ENA's? PT confuses me. :D

OUMallen
8/22/2006, 10:47 AM
I think if we get through Texas with a victory, by then we've got a better quarterback in PT than anything we could have hoped for from Bomar.

Um. No. Bomar's upside was awfully high.

Partial Qualifier
8/22/2006, 11:27 AM
Long's offense didn't suit Paul. Wilson's offense will definitely suit Paul. Paul needs some time - which he'll actually get this year - but he's got enough background & maturity to catch up quick. Quicker than Bomar progressed.

Plus, All indications point to Jermaine Gresham being an absolute beast.
It's amazing what a great TE and/or a great RB will do for any offense. It's looking like we have both.

I can't wait to see how things unfold... I plan to be patient and not get my hopes up but if we get by Oregon, look out

fadada1
8/22/2006, 11:43 AM
the way i think we can deal with the occasional turnover/stupid play, is to not give the ball in our own territory. obviously turning it over deep into a drive hurts, but it doesn't give out opponent a free TD. THAT, seems to be our problem every so often.

just my $.02

OUMallen
8/22/2006, 01:14 PM
Long's offense didn't suit Paul. Wilson's offense will definitely suit Paul. Paul needs some time - which he'll actually get this year - but he's got enough background & maturity to catch up quick. Quicker than Bomar progressed.

Plus, All indications point to Jermaine Gresham being an absolute beast.
It's amazing what a great TE and/or a great RB will do for any offense. It's looking like we have both.

I can't wait to see how things unfold... I plan to be patient and not get my hopes up but if we get by Oregon, look out

I agree with PQ here. Sortf of guarded optimism.

KingDavid
8/22/2006, 01:32 PM
Um. No. Bomar's upside was awfully high.

I appreciate "that other guy (TOG)"'s athletic upside and would agree with you if character weren't a factor. But let's say (in hypothetical side-by-side scenarios) that both players were able to get us through Texas without a loss. It sounds like you'd pick TOG to finish out the year. I'd pick ENA in a heart-beat, for the following reasons:

1) More character
2) More respect from the team - not just as a player, but as a person
3) Not a time-bomb off the field
4) Not an ego-trip on the field

My point is that even if TOG didn't screw himself at the dealership that shall not be named, he would still be a time-bomb; and in the back of our minds (and the team's) we would still have that faint "ticking" sound wondering when the next stupid arrest was going to hit the papers. Or some other stupid incident with the press, etc.

TOG may have more physical/athetic upside on his own; but looking at the whole person and the whole scenario, ENA gives more upside to the whole TEAM - and that's what matters most.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2006, 01:37 PM
I think I feel more confident that PT can pull it off and maybe better than "The Idiot".
So, Stoops made a mistake last year? If ENA gives you a better shot at the national title, isn't that the correct conclusion?

HarrisTubbsFan
8/22/2006, 01:40 PM
I don't think this year is an NC type season. There's just too much youth. I do like our chances more with PT then with Bomar. But now next year we have to find a QB so I don't know if we win the NC then next couple of years till the QB spot gets settled.

KingDavid
8/22/2006, 01:52 PM
So, Stoops made a mistake last year? If ENA gives you a better shot at the national title, isn't that the correct conclusion?

Well . . . I suppose that's one way to look at it. But did the Tour De France make a mistake in awarding the championship to Floyd Landis? Did the Yankees make a mistake by paying so much $$ for Darryl Strawberr? I could go on . . .

Like Stoops, these organizations didn't make mistakes, they just didn't have all the facts. It takes time for matters of character to come to the surface.

If Stoops were God and could see the future, he probably would have picked ENA to lead the team and put TOG (that other guy) into remedial school for bone-heads.

He made the right call then, based on the data he had. He's making the right call now.

KingDavid
8/22/2006, 01:56 PM
I don't think this year is an NC type season. There's just too much youth. I do like our chances more with PT then with Bomar. But now next year we have to find a QB so I don't know if we win the NC then next couple of years till the QB spot gets settled.

Interesting to compare our odds this year against next:

Next year, we'll have more experience at line, be just as solid on the D (if not stronger) as the youth continues to gain experience, and have that much more experience at the wide-outs.

BUT . . . we'll be back to square one on the QB's (with probably no starting experience), and of course, we probably (hard to write this) won't have AD. (sniffle).

Partial Qualifier
8/22/2006, 03:45 PM

I have no problems saying a mistake was made but it's all hindsight.

Lets say you have a neck-and-neck QB race in the fall. One guy is tailor-made for your pro-style offense but he's got no experience (freshman). The other guy isn't exactly suited to running a pro-style offense but he's more mature and holding his own in the QB competition. The older guy ultimately wins the starting job.

First game, the older guy doesn't play well and looks uncomfortable. In relief, the freshman looks just as bad. You just lost the home opener to TCU. Since they both looked basically the same, you and the offensive coordinator regroup & plan for the future since the older guy has 1 year left and the freshman has 3. Plus, the freshman is a little more suited to your offense. A default decision. Not rocket science at the time.

Over the course of the next 6 or 7 months, your freshman gets busted for MIP a couple times and you learn he's been clocking in at work & leaving (getting paid for not working). Oh and your offensive coordinator leaves & takes his pro-style offense with him :rolleyes:

It's easy to say a mistake was made in hindsight. But i don't necessarily agree that PT gives us more of a chance. We just lost that valuable year of experience as the starter. And bomar had one hell of an arm.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2006, 03:52 PM
IIt's easy to say a mistake was made in hindsight. But i don't necessarily agree that PT gives us more of a chance. We just lost that valuable year of experience as the starter. And bomar had one hell of an arm.
Despite constantly labeling him as mediocre this offseason ;) , I actually thought Bomar was going to have a good year this year with your WRs and a year of development. There's no doubt he had a cannon. It was just that 10 cent head of his...

Octavian
8/22/2006, 04:09 PM
How we win a NC with PT...

Win field position and turnover margins in Eugene and Dallas. Those are the two teams we really can't afford to give up a cheap touchdown(s) against.

Obviously, the passing game has to be good enough to prevent 8 or 9 guys being stacked in the box to stop Adrian.

Either way though, run Adrian a lot....a whole lot.

Get back to special teams excellence instead of special teams mediocrity.

FormerSoonerProf
8/22/2006, 11:25 PM
Key to ENA's success is the OL... If they can give him time, he will deliver. Kevin Wilson better have that OL ready to protect ENA in the first few plays. If the opposing defenses get some early pressure on ENA, and he gets flustered, it is going to be a long, long season....

Desert Sapper
8/23/2006, 12:02 AM
Key to ENA's success is the OL... If they can give him time, he will deliver. Kevin Wilson better have that OL ready to protect ENA in the first few plays. If the opposing defenses get some early pressure on ENA, and he gets flustered, it is going to be a long, long season....

Unless he manages to use his legs effectively under pressure...

GottaHavePride
8/23/2006, 12:27 AM

Not a fair question - we've changed offensive coordinators since then. The "right choice" may not be the same thing in the two situations.

Egeo
8/23/2006, 12:31 AM
Next year, we'll have more experience at line, be just as solid on the D (if not stronger) as the youth continues to gain experience, and have that much more experience at the wide-outs.

we lose 3 stud de's and 2 starting lb's
the time to win is now!
i think our young talent is very good but you never know what the future holds... except that we have 4 senior starters on defense for sure

actually, returning 7 starters on defense sounds really good - but well just have to see

Desert Sapper
8/23/2006, 12:45 AM
actually, returning 7 starters on defense sounds really good - but well just have to see

OUr entire secondary should be back. Demarrio Pleasant should be back. Ryan Reynolds should be back from his injury (hopefully). Curtis Lofton is a stud. Almost our whole DT rotation should be back. We'll have 3 stud DEs returning (Dotson, Williams, Davis). I like OUr D next year.

Macanudo
8/23/2006, 07:46 AM
Can one of you explain how all of this is going to happen with your MASH unit of an o-line?

Partial Qualifier
8/23/2006, 08:59 AM
Can one of you explain how all of this is going to happen with your MASH unit of an o-line?

Ah yes, the Hornfans.com mantra. OU's o-line is in a shambles!

Hmm we've won several MNC's with comparable o-lines. This year we'll be more talented & deeper than the 2000 o-line. Wrap your little brain around that.

You guys work way too hard at fooling yourselves. We love how apparent it is that Stoops has consumed your every thought for the last 6 years but sheesh man, relax a little bit & enjoy that MNC.

TexasLidig8r
8/23/2006, 09:36 AM
Hmm we've won several MNC's with comparable o-lines. This year we'll be more talented & deeper than the 2000 o-line. Wrap your little brain around that.

PQ.. from reading your past posts, it is obvious you know football pretty well.

Can you compare this year's OU line to the 2000 line position by position and experience wise? Am curious.

Partial Qualifier
8/23/2006, 10:53 AM
First of all, I don't know **** about football. :D Seriously.

If memory serves, center was senior Bubba Burcham, Jeremy Wilson-Guest was a senior guard and Scott Kempenich was a senior tackle. Romero was a junior DE brought over to the OL due to lack of OL depth / great depth at DE. Howard Duncan was a Jr or Sr. (juco transfer.. I think). Beyond those 5 guys we were scouring the campus for warm bodies.

This year's OL is young; Messner is a Sr. and the rest are either true freshmen, redshirt fr. and sophomores. We have more guys on scholarship now than in 2000 (12 this year vs. 8 in 2000).

So speaking strictly in terms of experience, we had more in 2000 than now, although I don't know how much Burcham, Wilson-Guest and Kempenich played before 1999-2000. Maybe someone else here can add detail.

We had a precarious zero-depth issue in 2000 and were extremely fortunate to not suffer any injuries. Those 5 guys mentioned earlier were on the field a LOT.

None of them were big-time recruits or anything. And it's just my opinion - the 2000 squad couldn't compare to the quality of OL recruits we have on campus now. But they played their hearts out, God bless 'em

There are several dozen people here who could add more detail to this year's group of o-linemen and their talent level compared to 2000.

Desert Sapper
8/24/2006, 12:35 AM
67Panter, Ben (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=218) * OL JR Stilwell, OK
66Barclay, Jarrod (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=162) OL FR Denton, TX
76Baysinger, Al (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=292) *OL SR Dallas, TX
59Burcham, Stephen (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=293) *OL SR Mustang, OK
69Davis, Brad (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=174) OL SO Baton Rouge, LA
68Duncan, Howard (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=176) *OL JR Kansas City, KS
72Kempenich, Scott (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=294) *OL SR Wagoner, OK
65Mathis, Will (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=206) *OL JR Jacksboro, TX
73Nutt, Trevor (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=295) OL JR Norman, OK
64Panter, Adam (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=67) OL FR Stillwell, OK
60Sims, Wes (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=85) OL FR Weatherford, OK
75Skinner, Mike (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=229) *OL SO Tahlequah, OK
77Smith, Josh (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=231) *OL SO Moore, OK
78Takawana, Cliff (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=237) OL FR Ardmore, OK
70Travis, Reese (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=296) *OL SR Midwest City, OK
61Tucker, Josh (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=297) *OL FR Moore, OK
63Romero, Frank (http://www.type40.com/ou/ou_Player.asp?qry=224) * OL JR Moore, OK

I count 17. The guys with stars lettered. The bold guys started. I don't remember much other than that. You are definitely right about our luck with injuries that year. It's like we were destined to win it all in 2000.

The crew we have right now sure looks like it can be pretty special. I don't know if they will break out this year or next, but they have the potential to be very good before all is said and done.

A cool article on the web about the 2000 bowl season (all you ever wanted to know about our lineup): TSN Bowl Preview (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_52_224/ai_68866557/pg_1)

Partial Qualifier
8/24/2006, 06:55 AM
Panters were deep-snappers, right? Wilson-Guest is missing.. or was he a walk-on. crap, was he gone in 2000? So much for my memory.

I left the redshirt freshmen out of my count. I think that's the "bonafide recruits plus the warm bodies" list ;) I had forgotten about Tankawana though. Whatever happened to that dude.