PDA

View Full Version : Big TV Buyin ***** ******s

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:15 AM
I'm about ready to take the plunge and get myself a big TV (around a 46-50" LCD flat one) and I'd like to do so BEFORE the season starts.

I'm 99% sure I'll go with Sony, cause they are the best with electronics IMO and "Americans are too damn tall".

So, my question is, WHERE is the best place in the metro to purchase such an item. I'm talking "Service after the sale". I'd rather pay a little more now and get good customer service later should the need arise. Don't wanna get jerked around on a warranty issue later, just want to be taken care of. A salesperson that knows a little bit about the product is also desired, to answer my many questions.

Suggestions?

Only places I know are Best Buy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics. Those are all the debil to be quite honest. Surely there's better.

colleyvillesooner
8/21/2006, 11:18 AM
What is the name of the TV that the TV guy on here recommends everytime? I've seen it more than once.

BeetDigger
8/21/2006, 11:19 AM
While Costco give NO customer service, they do take back things at any time. They have told me that if I buy a TV there and in five years the thing goes belly up, bring it back along with the receipt and they will give you a replacement. I have a co-worker who bought one there just for that reason. I will see if she ever has to take it back and what their response is.

1stTimeCaller
8/21/2006, 11:20 AM
$10 says that she makes this plunge like she did in buying a house with ole boy and then dumping him.

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:20 AM
While Costco give NO customer service, they do take back things at any time. They have told me that if I buy a TV there and in five years the thing goes belly up, bring it back along with the receipt and they will give you a replacement. I have a co-worker who bought one there just for that reason. I will see if she ever has to take it back and what their response is.

we don't have a costco, but we do have sam's. I figured I'd get no customer service, just a little price break. Like I said, I'd rather pay a little more and be taken care of later.

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:21 AM
$10 says that she makes this plunge like she did in buying a house with ole boy and then dumping him.

:mad:

fadada1
8/21/2006, 11:23 AM
CRAZY EDDIE. his prices are INSANE!!!!!!!!

(you new yorkers will get it).

Mjcpr
8/21/2006, 11:23 AM
If you don't want to go to the Best Buy's of the world, shop the local TV/Audio/Video shops and take the best deal you can get. I would think that the shops that specialize in home theatre would know a lot more about it than Joe Schmo at Best Buy and they'd almost have to have better customer service.

yermom
8/21/2006, 11:24 AM
:mad:

how is Achmed? :P

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:24 AM
yeah, that's the plan, but I don't know of any good ones in the metro. hence my starting a thread.

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:25 AM
how is Achmed? :P

he bought a house, and he's in the process of moving what little stuff he has out. It's gonna suck for a while being by myself, but I'll get used to it.

thanks for asking. :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
8/21/2006, 11:27 AM
yeah, that's the plan, but I don't know of any good ones in the metro. hence my starting a thread.

Ahh....I see.

Have you thought about Best Buy?

BeetDigger
we don't have a costco, but we do have sam's. I figured I'd get no customer service, just a little price break. Like I said, I'd rather pay a little more and be taken care of later.

You might ask them about their return policy. Sure you get no customer service, but if you can return the thing at any time if it breaks down, who needs customer service?

TopDaugIn2000
Ahh....I see.

Have you thought about Best Buy?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:28 AM
my parents just bought one from Law's electronics in Ft. Smith (they live about 20 minutes from there). It's a little far for me though, in case something goes wrong.

1stTimeCaller
8/21/2006, 11:35 AM
what about Nance's in Ardmore?

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:37 AM
what about Nance's in Ardmore?
never heard of em. anyone have experience there? (good or bad)

tbl
8/21/2006, 11:40 AM
Personally, I wouldn't go to the little guys b/c they don't have a lot of money behind them to cover you in case something does go wrong. Best Buy can be a nightmare, but they do tend to cover your butt. Also, you might just find a guy there that actually knows what they're talking about, and even more rarely, takes care of the customer.

Also, Samsung is really making a push. I've always been a Sony guy, but from everything I've researched, it looks like Samsung is becoming the top dog.

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:41 AM
Personally, I wouldn't go to the little guys b/c they don't have a lot of money behind them to cover you in case something does go wrong. Best Buy can be a nightmare, but they do tend to cover your butt. Also, you might just find a guy there that actually knows what they're talking about, and even more rarely, takes care of the customer.

Also, Samsung is really making a push. I've always been a Sony guy, but from everything I've researched, it looks like Samsung is becoming the top dog.

thanks, I'll also consider samsung then.

Jimminy Crimson
8/21/2006, 11:47 AM
Go see Russell Kim at Audio Dimensions.

YWIA

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 11:47 AM
Go see Russell Kim at Audio Dimensions.

YWIA

where's that?

BoogercountySooner
8/21/2006, 11:49 AM
I bought my Sony SXRD at best buy found it alot cheaper somewhere else and Best Buy price matched. They delivered and set it up. I added a 5 year warranty for what I saved with the price match.

All the cables cost ya though.

Jimminy Crimson
8/21/2006, 11:57 AM
where's that?

It's on North May kinda in the Villlage b/w Hefner and Britton.

It's one of the places 85 will recommend to you, I think.

Taxman71
8/21/2006, 12:08 PM
I got my Sony A10 at Best Buy because they had the lowest price (not counting internet stores) and had the best extended warranty (includes bulbs) for the price (per the Sony repair tech I talked to).

Do your research on the extended warranty issue and, if you decide to get one, factor that into the overall cost of the TV. The smaller audio/TV shops in the metro that I dealt with could not compete very well when it came to the cost or service of the EW (ie - more expensive, did not cover bulbs).

Finally, obtain and follow 85's advice.

Pricetag
8/21/2006, 02:16 PM
If you're not a broke dick, and plan on making a purchase, you should set foot into Soonerfan85's establishment.

IB4OU2
8/21/2006, 02:35 PM
I got my Curtis Mathis at OTASCO and I'm still enjoying Gunsmoke on it......FYI

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 02:35 PM
If you're not a broke dick, and plan on making a purchase, you should set foot into Soonerfan85's establishment.

and which/where is that?

yermom
8/21/2006, 02:36 PM
Texass

JohnnyMack
8/21/2006, 02:45 PM
<Checks to make sure 85Sooner isn't around>

Psssttt....

I got mine online at amazon.com

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 02:48 PM
<Checks to make sure 85Sooner isn't around>

Psssttt....

I got mine online at amazon.com

yeah, but how's the customer service?

I looked at Newegg, but they have a disclaimer saying if anything goes wrong it must be sent back to the manufacturer, they don't cover warranty issues. Personally, I don't wanna have to send a huge TV anywhere!

SoonerInKCMO
8/21/2006, 02:52 PM
You're awfully hung up on this customer service thing. Odds are the thing ain't gonna break. I've never had to take any piece of electronics back for any problems.

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 03:01 PM
it's a big purchase for me, and I just don't want to have any headaches with it later. that's all.

JohnnyMack
8/21/2006, 03:28 PM
yeah, but how's the customer service?

I looked at Newegg, but they have a disclaimer saying if anything goes wrong it must be sent back to the manufacturer, they don't cover warranty issues. Personally, I don't wanna have to send a huge TV anywhere!

I bought a Toshiba and amazon.com is an authorized Toshiba dealer so the warranty is valid.

That and I saved $700 on what I would have paid in a store.

And no sales tax.

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 03:58 PM
I bought a Toshiba and amazon.com is an authorized Toshiba dealer so the warranty is valid.

And no sales tax.

ok, you have my attention.

JohnnyMack
8/21/2006, 04:06 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1/002-8745893-6473606?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A1065836%2Cn%3A172659%2Cn%3A1203578&page=1

Ya might scroll through and see if they have what you're looking for.

jwlynn64
8/21/2006, 04:46 PM
It seems that you are stuck on a Sony LCD. You might want to look into the purchase a little more before buying.

Some things to consider are:

Contrast (LCD is worst, DLP better, Plasma best)

What type of Hi-Def you want (720p is better for sports, 1080i is better for scenic, slow moving shots). It's sometimes hard to actually find out what the native resolution is. Most of the sets will convert to their native format but that looses some of the cripness of the image.

As far as service, unless you get an extended service contract (consumer reports recommends that you do not), you will be dealing with the actual manufacturers warranty department.

If you want my opinion, I like the mitsubishi DLPs. They were moderately priced and they had the best options for the money. (Net Commander is great if you want to hide all your components.)

If it carries any weight, the directv installation person, said that he thought the Mitsubishi was the best.

RacerX
8/21/2006, 04:53 PM
Local - Harry's

But as it has been pointed out...any authorized service center will do. Harry's has fixed stuff for me that I haven't bought there. But I did buy a TV and a fridge from him.

and 85Sooner loves the Grand Wegas.

85Sooner
8/21/2006, 06:13 PM

Boy that was funny:D

85Sooner
8/21/2006, 06:15 PM

And no sales tax.

I wonder who from amazon is gonna come service that. Heh

85Sooner
8/21/2006, 06:22 PM
It seems that you are stuck on a Sony LCD. You might want to look into the purchase a little more before buying.

Some things to consider are:

Contrast (LCD is worst [COLOR="Black"][B]flat panel only
, Plasma best)

What type of Hi-Def you want (720p is better for sports, 1080i is better for scenic, slow moving shots). It's sometimes hard to actually find out what the native resolution is. Most of the sets will convert to their native format but that looses some of the cripness of the image.

If you want my opinion, I like the mitsubishi DLPs. They were moderately priced and they had the best options for the money. (Net Commander is great if you want to hide all your components.)

If it carries any weight, the directv installation person, said that he thought the Mitsubishi was the best.

Uhhuh? how long you been doin my job.Heh

Seriously,
The Sony SXRD is gonna be the best way to go. And for those who like DLP I will refer you to home theatres report of May 2006 "hookmeup"

All mitsubishi and samsung sets (with one exception the HLR5668) failed the ability to reproduce a true HD picture. Sorry folks but I have said that for along time, the report was finally published. Beforehand it was insider info.

BTW, the only DLP televisions that passed were the Toshibas.

All the sony SXRD passed as well as the Rear Proj A10 series.

What size do you want?

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 06:49 PM
there you are!

Looking somewhere around 40-50"

85Sooner
8/21/2006, 06:57 PM
Try Sony KDS50A2000. True 1080p set I sell em for around 2497.00.
Just go to Best Buy and tell em you have that price and will they beat it.
You should be OK.

Hope that helps.
B

TopDaugIn2000
8/21/2006, 08:19 PM
where are you? could I just buy from you?

also, what "extras" am I gonna be hit with???

I currently use Cox cable and will get their Hi-Def channels once I get the TV. What else will I need? I also want to hook up my VCR and DVD to the TV.

No surround sound YET. that'll come after I get a real house (not a rental)

Zbird
8/21/2006, 08:27 PM
I'm about ready to take the plunge and get myself a big TV (around a 46-50" LCD flat one) and I'd like to do so BEFORE the season starts.

I'm 99% sure I'll go with Sony, cause they are the best with electronics IMO and "Americans are too damn tall".

So, my question is, WHERE is the best place in the metro to purchase such an item. I'm talking "Service after the sale". I'd rather pay a little more now and get good customer service later should the need arise. Don't wanna get jerked around on a warranty issue later, just want to be taken care of. A salesperson that knows a little bit about the product is also desired, to answer my many questions.

Suggestions?

Only places I know are Best Buy, Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics. Those are all the debil to be quite honest. Surely there's better.

You have to bend over and back into ultimate E.

JohnnyMack
8/21/2006, 08:59 PM
I wonder who from amazon is gonna come service that. Heh

So far, not a concern. I call it a calculated risk. Besides they're an authorized dealer, they provided a list of repairmen in the area that would service it.

Frozen Sooner
8/21/2006, 09:03 PM
Why an LCD of that size? Why not plasma?

BeetDigger
8/21/2006, 09:37 PM
there you are!

Looking somewhere around 40-50"

:eek:

85Sooner
8/21/2006, 10:14 PM
Sorry gone so long.
Amazon does not have a customer service tech in the US for that matter anywhere. If and I say If you have a problem you are on your own.

I am in Austin Texas and the he11 thst is UT territory. I can ship to Okla without tax if you want. There will be shipping charges which are usually less than tax.

I love to help sooners and have done so for mant here on the board. I just want whats best for you either way.

BTW I am a Paul Thompson fan and have recieved much neg respect for that just to let you know.

If I can help, I am happy to do so. As far as the peolple making fun of me because of broke d!cks, Well they are getting worse not better and are usually of middle eastern or asian decent. Not that I am profiling hah.

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 08:20 AM
85: I'll see what I can do locally, but if they won't work with me, then I might just give you a holler. When you get a chance please let me know about what "extras" I'll be needing to get this thing going (post 43 above)

Frozen: I still don't trust plasma. so I'll probably stick with LCD.

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 08:28 AM
where are you? could I just buy from you?

also, what "extras" am I gonna be hit with???

I currently use Cox cable and will get their Hi-Def channels once I get the TV. What else will I need? I also want to hook up my VCR and DVD to the TV.

No surround sound YET. that'll come after I get a real house (not a rental)

You will need 2 sets of Audio/Video Cables, 2 sets of Componant video Cables, and 2 audio cables, not to mention your regular RG6 Cable x3 and a coax splitter. I can fax you a diagram if you like.

BTW Plasma TVs are fine. Just stay with the major brands ie: Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung etc....

Mjcpr
8/22/2006, 08:32 AM
I didn't need a single thing when Cox installed our HD box.....they provided the component (I think) cables that hooked up the cable box. Your DVD player should hook up to your TV with whatever kind of cable you're currently using. Your VCR......well, Cox also offers a DVR. :D

Point is.....I don't think you will HAVE to have anything to get started.

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 08:48 AM
good to know. I think I'm gonna call cox to see what they say I need/what they provide.

and I do want to get a DVR too, might just move the VCR to the spare TV in case it's ever needed.

jwlynn64
8/22/2006, 08:54 AM
If your cable box has an HDMI connection, you can get both picture and sound to your TV with just the HDMI cable. You will still need other cables as mentioned above for your DVD and VCR.

Since I'm trying to get rid of extra boxes, I purchased a DVD/VCR combo player. Only one set of cables.

Also, if you are getting a DVR from Cox, make sure that it has two tuners. The first box I got from Comcast (here in the Dallas area) only had one tuner. That meant that I had to watch what I was recording. Kind of defeated the whole record thing.

jwlynn64
8/22/2006, 08:57 AM
All mitsubishi and samsung sets (with one exception the HLR5668) failed the ability to reproduce a true HD picture. Sorry folks but I have said that for along time, the report was finally published. Beforehand it was insider info.

Where can I get a copy of this report? I'm curious to find out what they mean by HD picture. Isn't it just the amount of pixels?

Thanks,

JohnnyMack
8/22/2006, 09:04 AM
Amazon does not have a customer service tech in the US for that matter anywhere. If and I say If you have a problem you are on your own.

Never said they did. Said they were an authorized Toshiba dealer and that the item I bought was fully warrantied. If I buy a TV from <Insert Random Big Store Here> and it breaks, I'm not going to shove the big *** thing in the back of my Camry and drag it back to said store, I'm going to have them send someone out to my casa and have them fix it. Same thing with Amazon, if it breaks, I'll have them send someone out to fix it.

Spray
8/22/2006, 10:07 AM
thanks, I'll also consider samsung then.

I bought a 40" Samsung two weeks ago, saved a few hundred off the Sony, and couldn't be happier.

Spray
8/22/2006, 10:09 AM
Why an LCD of that size? Why not plasma?

I went with LCD mainly to save a few bucks. Honestly, I couldn't tell that much of a difference.

Of course, I hadn't bought a TV in 15 years so anything was going to look great to me!

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 10:10 AM
who offers the best HD programming (for the $)?

cox, Dish, DirecTV.

I looked up all 3 and it seems with the satellite providers you're stuck buying equipment (from $200 to $400 to get set up with HD and HDDVR) and with cox you can just rent it (about $17/mo).

skycat
8/22/2006, 10:36 AM
I didn't need a single thing when Cox installed our HD box.....they provided the component (I think) cables that hooked up the cable box. Your DVD player should hook up to your TV with whatever kind of cable you're currently using. Your VCR......well, Cox also offers a DVR. :D

Luddite.

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 10:39 AM

Yes sometimes cables are provided even cruddy ones. I just gave a list of the cables needed regardless of where they come from. Good gold tipped shielded cables are recommended. Not the best but als not the worst.

you still want av cables from the cable box to the VCR (to allow recording on your tapes for playback elsewhere) and from the VCR to the tv (in order to receive the stereo broadcast when playing your tapes, coax to the antenna input does not allow the stereo signal to be processed..

jdsooner
8/22/2006, 10:43 AM
Just bought a Sony Wega here in Ponca from Sears. It is a rear projection LCD and cost $1799. I paid $399 for a 3-year warranty that covers my bulb, which costs $200 to replace.

The same price was also available from Best Buy and Circuit City. Sears does have a service department available. If you want a flat screen, it would cost more. So far, I love my television and HD is awesome!

jwlynn64
8/22/2006, 10:43 AM
I've had comcast (not sure how it compares to Cox) and DirecTV. Comcast was better on the HD because it provided the local channels in HD. The DVR box however was terrible.

It would hang up on me occasionally and the volumn would go out. To fix this, I would have to unplug the box and plug it back in. It finally crapped out on me one weekend where the analog channels all came in snowy. I'm sure they would have replaced the box but my introductory offer was about to expire so I cancelled.

With DirecTV, I have to connect an Antennae to my box to get the local channels in HD and I get broken signals periodically because... it's an antennae.

Since I already had an account the DirecTV, I was locked into going back with them or waiting until my contract was up to do something else.

If I didn't have a contract with anyone, I would have went with the Dish Network. They have the most HD programming and their introductory offers were better than DirecTV.

Check and see which provider has the best deals on the channels that you want to watch. They will usually give you some free programming or a really good deal for a short period of time so take advantage of that.

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 10:44 AM
If your cable box has an HDMI connection, you can get both picture and sound to your TV with just the HDMI cable. You will still need other cables as mentioned above for your DVD and VCR.

Since I'm trying to get rid of extra boxes, I purchased a DVD/VCR combo player. Only one set of cables.

Also, if you are getting a DVR from Cox, make sure that it has two tuners. The first box I got from Comcast (here in the Dallas area) only had one tuner. That meant that I had to watch what I was recording. Kind of defeated the whole record thing.

I don't recommend using HDMI at this point even though your statement about using one cable is correct. They are redeveloping HDMI now on version 1.3 because of interaction problems. BTW In most double blind tests the difference between good componant cables and HDMI was not significant.

If you want a copy of the report, PM me with your fax number. I myself was stunned by the results even though it confirmed what I had been seeing.

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 10:46 AM
I bought a 40" Samsung two weeks ago, saved a few hundred off the Sony, and couldn't be happier.

That would be the flat panel 40" and is a nice TV. Sony and Samsung use the same panels. both manufacturers have several different models and apples for apples they are pretty comparable in price and the lowest price will probably be the one that the store needs to move first.
Good choice though.

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 10:47 AM
who offers the best HD programming (for the $)?

cox, Dish, DirecTV.

I looked up all 3 and it seems with the satellite providers you're stuck buying equipment (from $200 to $400 to get set up with HD and HDDVR) and with cox you can just rent it (about $17/mo).

Bingo

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 10:48 AM
got the fax 85, thanks!!!!

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 11:03 AM
is there any difference in quality between a rear projection LCD and a flat panel LCD? I'd rather have the flat panel for space/aesthetics, but I know it is $ignificantly more dollars.

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 11:20 AM
is there any difference in quality between a rear projection LCD and a flat panel LCD? I'd rather have the flat panel for space/aesthetics, but I know it is $ignificantly more dollars.

Yes,

LCD flat panel= lower black level and worse side angle viewing.
LCD rear projection= better black levels and thus richer colors and better side agnle viewing.

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 11:26 AM
so the flat isn't really worth the $ then.........

guess that's a good thing. lol

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 11:46 AM
so the flat isn't really worth the $ then.........

guess that's a good thing. lol

Only if you want to hang it or have space issues. I am thinking about adding a 60" pioneer plasma just to make a little more room.

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 11:49 AM
obviously I'd rather have more space, but not if it costs more and the quality is lower.

Spray
8/22/2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah- we needed to hang the TV on the wall, but I will say depending on the size of the room and where you hang it, side angle viewing may not be a real problem.

That's our situation. The room is a little smaller and the setup eliminates side angle viewing. Thus we opened up a tremendous amount of floor space for seating. Not only do we not have to account for the TV, but we sold a large armoire we were using as a TV cabinet, as well.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/22/2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking 85 should get going on that 'business venture' he was asking about...:D

IB4OU2
8/22/2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking 85 should get going on that 'business venture' he was asking about...:D

I agree, Reading all this I'm about ready to trade off my Curtis Mathis. :D

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 12:57 PM

Thank you. I have been really nervous about it. Yesterday I wrote a very big check to get it started. It will launch in about 90 days

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 01:06 PM
Thank you. I have been really nervous about it. Yesterday I wrote a very big check to get it started. It will launch in about 90 days
I'm totally lost.

JohnnyMack
8/22/2006, 01:10 PM
I'm totally lost.

He's opening a strip club.

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 01:12 PM
He's opening a strip club.

I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 01:14 PM
I am starting an online business to provide hook up information, customized hookup diagrams, setup info and troubleshooting info for home electronics.Basically, customer service on line.

Boomer.....
8/22/2006, 02:00 PM
I am starting an online business to provide hook up information, customized hookup diagrams, setup info and troubleshooting info for home electronics.Basically, customer service on line.

Do you know where I can get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

85Sooner
8/22/2006, 02:28 PM
Do you know where I can get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

heh heh heeeeh heeeeeeeeeh heeeeeeeeeeeeh;)

TopDaugIn2000
8/22/2006, 03:08 PM

oh, nice. good luck! might need ya soon!

TopDaugIn2000
8/23/2006, 10:38 AM
went to best buy (GASP!) last night to check out my options. Picked one out, just gotta price shop now. Getting quotes from 85, as well as the store in Ft. Smith (Law's Electronics) where my parents just bought theirs. Gonna get some quotes in OKC thursday evening as well.

here it is (http://www.crazy4digital.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1547)

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/7438/7438873_ra.jpg

BB currently has it on sale for $3399, but I found out from the place in Ft. Smith that this is last year's model (the d00d at BB told me it was Sony's NEWEST) and so my quote from Law's will be for the new model that comes out in Sept.

Taxman71
8/23/2006, 11:00 AM
That TV has a great picture. You should check out the current status of the "green blob" issue on the SXRDs though.

Green Blob (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=636342&page=1&pp=30)

Owners Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=584936&page=1&pp=30)

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 11:04 AM
i've always been cornfused by commercials touting a particular television's picture/clarity/etc.

i mean, if I am seeing a cool picture on the tv in the commercial, doesn't that mean that MY tv is capable of producing the image with the same clarity?

it would be like Bose broadcasting their radio over FM and saying, see how cool that sounds??

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 11:05 AM
went to best buy (GASP!) last night to check out my options. Picked one out, just gotta price shop now. Getting quotes from 85, as well as the store in Ft. Smith (Law's Electronics) where my parents just bought theirs. Gonna get some quotes in OKC thursday evening as well.

BB currently has it on sale for $3399, but I found out from the place in Ft. Smith that this is last year's model (the d00d at BB told me it was Sony's NEWEST) and so my quote from Law's will be for the new model that comes out in Sept.

dave ramsey says to shop around, then walk in with bid dead presidents to get your best deal.

whatever they say, respond with "That's not good enough".
check your emotions at the door.
be ready/willing to walk away.

TopDaugIn2000
8/23/2006, 11:22 AM
wow, Best Buy just took it off their website......guess it really is last year's model!

The Law's Electronics guy told me that the replacement is the DKS60A2000 for now, and the new model will be out at the end of sept.

TopDaugIn2000
8/23/2006, 11:26 AM
85---

What is the difference between the KDSR60XBR1 and the KDS60A2000?????

Also, is the KDSR60XBR2 worth waiting for (end of sept) or should I just get the best deal I can on the BR1?

also, what do you know about LG?

BeetDigger
8/23/2006, 11:48 AM
85---

What is the difference between the KDSR60XBR1 and the KDS60A2000?????

Also, is the KDSR60XBR2 worth waiting for (end of sept) or should I just get the best deal I can on the BR1?

also, what do you know about LG?

I think you should buy the BR1. You should do it PDQ, before you are SOL. NTTAWWT A2000, it's just not as cool, FWIW. A new TV is teh awsome, IYKWIM. YWIA.

:D

TopDaugIn2000
8/23/2006, 11:58 AM
yeah, I like the look of the BR1 better (speakers on the side). and of course since the "new BR2" is coming out, they have the BR1 on sale. It's just a matter of finding enough retailers that still have it in stock to give me a quote.

TopDaugIn2000
8/23/2006, 09:40 PM
after looking and shopping and comparing, I've decided I want this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7854789&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050005&id=1142299476010

85, please send me a quote when you get time!!!!!!!

sanantoniosooner
8/23/2006, 09:42 PM
i've always been cornfused by commercials touting a particular television's picture/clarity/etc.

i mean, if I am seeing a cool picture on the tv in the commercial, doesn't that mean that MY tv is capable of producing the image with the same clarity?

it would be like Bose broadcasting their radio over FM and saying, see how cool that sounds??
TVs on commercials always look better than mine.

Hamhock
8/23/2006, 09:45 PM
TVs on commercials always look better than mine.

so, you're the guy the tv commercials are targeting.

it all makes sense now....

SoonerStud615
8/23/2006, 10:15 PM
this one's perdy big, and it's HD

http://cache.gizmodo.com/images/2006/04/hdtv_dolphin.jpg

BoogercountySooner
8/23/2006, 11:03 PM
I have the SXRD and love it no problems so far!

Blue
8/23/2006, 11:33 PM

40" huh? That's cool...I can't quite see it though. Oh, there it is! It was behind my 51" Samsung!

Telivisipw3nd! :D

Spray
8/24/2006, 05:58 PM
40" huh? That's cool...I can't quite see it though. Oh, there it is! It was behind my 51" Samsung!

Telivisipw3nd! :D

I suppose you'll by a tripped out Hummer next, huh?

I hear penis enlargement isn't as painful as they make it out to be.

TopDaugIn2000
8/24/2006, 10:02 PM
done deal. got the Pioneer 50" plasma.

to be delivered this saturday.

Blue
8/24/2006, 10:05 PM
Saweeeet.

Frozen Sooner
8/25/2006, 12:08 AM

Good jorb. You'll like a plasma's picture better than an LCD. Especially if you're watching movies-black levels on the plasmas blow the LCDs away.

Okla-homey
8/25/2006, 06:46 AM
never heard of em. anyone have experience there? (good or bad)

Long time Ardmore firm...but are they still in bidness?

OU4LIFE
8/25/2006, 07:22 AM
I suppose you'll by a tripped out Hummer next, huh?

I hear penis enlargement isn't as painful as they make it out to be.

that's not true, it's incredibly painful

Mjcpr
8/25/2006, 07:49 AM

Why do you hate your budget?

TopDaugIn2000
8/25/2006, 08:44 AM
heh, no kidding

Spray
8/25/2006, 09:58 AM
that's not true, it's incredibly painful

BOING!

85Sooner
8/27/2006, 09:16 PM

You are a true videophile my friend. That is the best you can get. You will see tears of joy running down coaches faces as ad and PT run in the endzone.

Sorry I was out of town for my sons 4th birthday. I apologize. Hope you got it for 3499.00 There was a major promotion goin on from pioneer.
If not let me know and I can help get a price protection if you wish.

Best to all.

TopDaugIn2000
8/28/2006, 08:22 AM
You are a true videophile my friend. That is the best you can get. You will see tears of joy running down coaches faces as ad and PT run in the endzone.

Sorry I was out of town for my sons 4th birthday. I apologize. Hope you got it for 3499.00 There was a major promotion goin on from pioneer.
If not let me know and I can help get a price protection if you wish.

Best to all.

GOOOOOD to hear. It was delivered yesterday afternoon and so far I love it.

yes, that was the price, and I haggled with em for all the accessories (stand, Hi Def DVD player, 2 HDMI cables, Monster serge protector, etc)

Strange thing cause I went in Ultimate Electronics with the Best buy ad and they said they couldn't touch that price. (They aren't required to match the price cause best buy lists it as a 5071HD instead of a 5070HD. apparently the remote is the only difference, but UE wouldn't do anything for me)