PDA

View Full Version : cfn.com ranks the offenses and each position

The Maestro
8/21/2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/

They say our offense is 18th best in the nation. The unit rankings were kind of strange, though.

They don't think much of PT...they say we are 78th in the nation at quarterback.

They rank our offensive line 31st, receivers 23rd!!! (They claim Iowa State, Indiana and Penn State have better receivers!!!), and our running backs as 5th best, behind the likes of Cal, Georgia, Louisville and Arkansas.

MiccoMacey
8/21/2006, 11:02 AM
I can see the case being made for ISU's receivers. Thet're pretty good. Not necessarily heads and shoulders better, but I can see where someone might give them the edge.

sooneron
8/21/2006, 11:39 AM
Giving USC the 2nd ranking is frigging retarded!!!!! How much can you speculate about a team that lost ALL but one contributor!!??!?!? On top of that, every team that plays them in conf, will put a target on their backs for some payback.

I also liked the part where they made Patrick sound like some sort of converted scrub. I guess no one from cfn bothered to read practice reports on how the coaches were big on him.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 12:02 PM
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/

They say our offense is 18th best in the nation. The unit rankings were kind of strange, though.

They don't think much of PT...they say we are 78th in the nation at quarterback.

They rank our offensive line 31st, receivers 23rd!!! (They claim Iowa State, Indiana and Penn State have better receivers!!!), and our running backs as 5th best, behind the likes of Cal, Georgia, Louisville and Arkansas.

PSU's receivers are better than OU's, so whats the problem?

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/21/2006, 12:19 PM
PSU's receivers are better than OU's, so whats the problem?

Other than Derick Williams I have never heard any great things about them

lukin254
8/21/2006, 12:22 PM
Norwood was decent

fadada1
8/21/2006, 12:25 PM
Norwood was decent
that guy sucks. he missed a game winning field goal against the giants.

;)

lukin254
8/21/2006, 12:29 PM
At least Thurman remembered his helmet to that game.

fadada1
8/21/2006, 12:35 PM
At least Thurman remembered his helmet to that game.
quite an accomplishment for an aggie.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 12:39 PM
Other than Derick Williams I have never heard any great things about them

Williams was the 3rd most productive WR they had last season. Norwood was better, and Butler is pretty damn good, too.

lukin254
8/21/2006, 12:42 PM
Williams was the 3rd most productive WR they had last season. Norwood was better, and Butler is pretty damn good, too.

Didn't Williams get hurt 8 or 9 games into the year?

King Crimson
8/21/2006, 12:42 PM
i have a hard time seeing a Tressel team ranked #1 in O. it could be small-mindedness on my part.....but he beats Texas last year by 10 if he didn't crawl into a conservative play not to lose shell that RC Slocum could only dream about.

lukin254
8/21/2006, 12:44 PM
Troy Smith is pretty good at running their spread.. esp. with the speed they have on the edges.

sooner94
8/21/2006, 12:49 PM
What's the deal with all of the Tennessee fans coming here? Don't we have enough puke orange fans to deal with already?

The Maestro
8/21/2006, 12:58 PM
Okay, I admit to not knowing much about PSU receivers, but I find it hard to believe that the likes of Kelly, Iglesias, Johnson, Finley, Gresham, Chaney and more...even Reggie now...are just the 23rd best group in the country.

NormanPride
8/21/2006, 01:02 PM
I will never understand the media's lovefest with Marshawn Lynch. He's good, but... it's like they think he's going to be better than Bush.

BermudaSooner
8/21/2006, 01:02 PM
Where will they rank our defense tomorrow?

Jason White's Third Knee
8/21/2006, 01:04 PM
I really don't mind being ranked low. This should be a fun season. We could sneak up on some people.

soonervegas
8/21/2006, 01:04 PM
5. Oklahoma
Adrian Peterson is the best back in college football and should be a threat for 2,000 yards if he can stay healthy. The backup situation is a question mark needing to see what top recruits DeMarco Murray, Mossis Madu and Chris Brown can bring this fall. Allen Patrick was the number two back throughout spring, but the former defensive back should quickly get pushed aside by the young stars. Longtime starting fullback J.D. Runnels will be replaced by 242-pound Dane Zaslaw.

They seem pretty informed about Patrick's abilities....not.

jwlynn64
8/21/2006, 01:10 PM
I stopped reading when they said that Patric was going to be quickly pushed aside. That statement alone told me that he didn't do any research into the article so any opinions he has are suspect. Based on gut feeling and second hand information at best.

NormanPride
8/21/2006, 01:16 PM
5. Oklahoma
Adrian Peterson is the best back in college football and should be a threat for 2,000 yards if he can stay healthy. The backup situation is a question mark needing to see what top recruits DeMarco Murray, Mossis Madu and Chris Brown can bring this fall. Allen Patrick was the number two back throughout spring, but the former defensive back should quickly get pushed aside by the young stars. Longtime starting fullback J.D. Runnels will be replaced by 242-pound Dane Zaslaw.

And they know who the FB starter is. I think they beat the coaches to that one. ;)

Duke o Brewery
8/21/2006, 01:44 PM
Agreed. They have Not researched these statements since the spring. As a matter of fact I saw these same pronouncements in May or June. It's obvious they haven't taken a second glance at the Sooners since August started.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 07:43 PM
What's the deal with all of the Tennessee fans coming here? Don't we have enough puke orange fans to deal with already?

Considering I've been a huge supporter for OU since I've understood football, you might want to embrace someone like me.

And you act as if you've been on this forum for a lifetime ... but you haven't.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 07:47 PM
Okay, I admit to not knowing much about PSU receivers, but I find it hard to believe that the likes of Kelly, Iglesias, Johnson, Finley, Gresham, Chaney and more...even Reggie now...are just the 23rd best group in the country.

Being ranked 23rd in any category is pretty good, though. I don't think OU's receivers deserve that high of a ranking, to be honest.

The returning WRs had the following yards in 2005:
Kelly 471
Iglesias 290
Johnson 170
Finley 150

I know you have a good pulse on the spring and fall drills, but a lot of teams/units look great in scrimmage and practice situations and never show up. I also expect improvement from the WRs. However, based on the resume, they don't look like the 23rd best returning. I hope they live up to that ranking, to be honest.

CatfishSooner
8/21/2006, 08:04 PM
I think you know what your talkin' about just as good as cfn does...

couchman
8/21/2006, 08:05 PM
Interesting that they rate Texas QB's at #76 while they put OU at #78.

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 08:14 PM
I think you know what your talkin' about just as good as cfn does...

O RLY?

I think I know more about college football than you do. You might have the inside track for OU, and mayyyyyyyybe the other B12 teams. However, I study this junk for hours a day.

sooner94
8/21/2006, 08:56 PM
Considering I've been a huge supporter for OU since I've understood football, you might want to embrace someone like me.

And you act as if you've been on this forum for a lifetime ... but you haven't.

Hey smartguy, its not even possible for me to have been on this forum for a lifetime because I was born before the forum was even around. I think the innerweb may have been around when I was born, but I'm not sure.

I mistook you for another guy with "Vol" in his name that is anti-OU. If you dig the Sooners, then my comment was not directed at you. I actually like the Vols a little, since they helped us win the 1985 National Championship by beating Miami.

Octavian
8/21/2006, 09:00 PM
ya think if Adrian was running behind a stud OL that his RB unit would be ranked #1....regardless if it was OU or not?

I do...Adrian alone is enough to rank a college RB corps #1 (there's no Reggie-Lendale combo this year) in 06 but they probably didn't b/c of the major question marks on OU's OL.

But really....it's just CFN.

Desert Sapper
8/21/2006, 09:25 PM
O RLY?

Nyah Nyah. I'm better than you. Nyah Nyah. I know sooooooo much more than you about college football. I study cfn night and day. Nyah.

Lighten up, Frances.:rolleyes:

The reason fans on this website are optimistic about our receivers is that the kids (Kelly, Iglesias, and Johnson) weren't starting until later in the year. Their stats are not completely indicative of their performance. Kelly will be very special this year. Iglesias is spectacular in the clutch. Johnson looks like he could be Mark Clayton Part II. They were true freshmen last year. All of them. The newcomer, Jermaine Gresham, is 6'7", 250 lbs and has caught everything in his vicinity during the summer workouts. He and JJ Finley will both see PT at TE. Don't get your panties in a bunch before a single snap of the 2006 season.

The best running back in the country is AD. Period. If he stays healthy, nothing will stop him. Playing injured, missing some games, and playing behind a pathetic excuse for an O-Line, he still rushed for over 1000 yards. AD is healthier, stronger, and faster. Our O-Line will be better this year. AP is developing into a capable runner. Remember that he was converted from S last season. The X Factor might be DeMarco Murray, who is such an unbelievable talent it will be hard to keep him off the field, even with AD taking nearly every snap.

Just keep in mind that nobody has taken a snap in the 2006 season. All any team has right now is potential. Just look at your Vols last year. They had all the potential in the world. Look where that got them. Speculation is just that until teams play on the field. CFN gives everybody a cute little diversion until then. Rant complete. Carry on.

sooneron
8/21/2006, 09:28 PM
Actually, the first time that Patrick played full time D was at OU. He played RB in HS, as well.

goingoneight
8/21/2006, 09:30 PM
Giving USC the 2nd ranking is frigging retarded!!!!! How much can you speculate about a team that lost ALL but one contributor!!??!?!? On top of that, every team that plays them in conf, will put a target on their backs for some payback.

I also liked the part where they made Patrick sound like some sort of converted scrub. I guess no one from cfn bothered to read practice reports on how the coaches were big on him.

To be honest, I've only seen him run for two easy TD's against shoddy defenses. I hope he's good, but I haven't really seen the guy blast off or anything...

VolinArizona
8/21/2006, 10:18 PM
Lighten up, Frances.:rolleyes:

The reason fans on this website are optimistic about our receivers is that the kids (Kelly, Iglesias, and Johnson) weren't starting until later in the year. Their stats are not completely indicative of their performance. Kelly will be very special this year. Iglesias is spectacular in the clutch. Johnson looks like he could be Mark Clayton Part II. They were true freshmen last year. All of them. The newcomer, Jermaine Gresham, is 6'7", 250 lbs and has caught everything in his vicinity during the summer workouts. He and JJ Finley will both see PT at TE. Don't get your panties in a bunch before a single snap of the 2006 season.

The best running back in the country is AD. Period. If he stays healthy, nothing will stop him. Playing injured, missing some games, and playing behind a pathetic excuse for an O-Line, he still rushed for over 1000 yards. AD is healthier, stronger, and faster. Our O-Line will be better this year. AP is developing into a capable runner. Remember that he was converted from S last season. The X Factor might be DeMarco Murray, who is such an unbelievable talent it will be hard to keep him off the field, even with AD taking nearly every snap.

Just keep in mind that nobody has taken a snap in the 2006 season. All any team has right now is potential. Just look at your Vols last year. They had all the potential in the world. Look where that got them. Speculation is just that until teams play on the field. CFN gives everybody a cute little diversion until then. Rant complete. Carry on.

I agree with 99% of your post. :)

But I promise you with 100% of my being that I get 0 new info from cfn.com.

I swear on General Neyland's grave.

Desert Sapper
8/21/2006, 11:10 PM
I agree with 99% of your post. :)

But I promise you with 100% of my being that I get 0 new info from cfn.com.

I swear on General Neyland's grave.

I'm glad you took my post with a grain of salt. And I accept your oath on the grave of a deceased fellow West Point grad. ;)

sooneriniowa
8/21/2006, 11:48 PM
5. Oklahoma

That portion right there is enough to drop at least 3 spots. It's going to be almost impossible to replace JD

Desert Sapper
8/21/2006, 11:53 PM
That portion right there is enough to drop at least 3 spots. It's going to be almost impossible to replace JD

Unless you factor in the longtime-absent pass receiving TE threat...