PDA

View Full Version : For all you lazy torrent downloaders

Sooner_Bob
8/21/2006, 08:02 AM
Download with your PC turned off (http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/20/2126253&from=rss)

OUDoc
8/21/2006, 08:16 AM
I still haven't figured out how to do it with my computer turned on. :O

Damn firewall!

Sooner_Bob
8/24/2006, 07:32 AM
At home or work? Router or no router?

If you've got a router you'll need to be sure and forward the correct port for the bittorrent client.

Try uTorrent . . . it's relatively easy to setup.

OUDoc
8/24/2006, 07:48 AM
At home or work? Router or no router?

If you've got a router you'll need to be sure and forward the correct port for the bittorrent client.

Try uTorrent . . . it's relatively easy to setup.
Home with router. That's the thing. It's(Azureus) got a port check where I can enter the port # to see if it's open. It's not. I DON'T KNOW WHAT PORT NUMBER TO PUT IN THERE! Randomly typing numbers in didn't help. :O There's an excellent chance that I don't know how to forward the correct port to the router.
Is uTorrent easier for a moron to use?

Hatfield
8/24/2006, 08:32 AM
dear OUdoc,

at www.portforward.com you can find the specific setup to your router and torrent client.

ywia

your buddy,

hatfield.

OUDoc
8/24/2006, 08:35 AM
Great! Thanks. I'd pretty much given up on torrents. I'll give it a try.

Sooner_Bob
8/24/2006, 08:55 AM
I used Azureus for a while, but find uTorrent much easier.

It actually has a port/speed test sorta built into it . . . and the link Hatfield provided will definitely help with properly forwarding a port on pretty much any router.

OUDoc
8/30/2006, 01:30 PM
Got it all done, now I see I can't download individual episodes of Lost season 2, only the full season. I only needed the last 4-5 episodes! :mad:

Sooner_Bob
8/30/2006, 01:37 PM
I should have those at home . . . or you can get the torrent search engine extension for Firefox and try searching for them on other sites.

I'll look for them when I get home and let you know.

OUDoc
8/30/2006, 01:43 PM
I should have those at home . . . or you can get the torrent search engine extension for Firefox and try searching for them on other sites.

I'll look for them when I get home and let you know.
Thanks. I'll also try the search engine when I get a chance.

Norm In Norman
8/30/2006, 02:09 PM
Home with router. That's the thing. It's(Azureus) got a port check where I can enter the port # to see if it's open. It's not. I DON'T KNOW WHAT PORT NUMBER TO PUT IN THERE! Randomly typing numbers in didn't help. :O There's an excellent chance that I don't know how to forward the correct port to the router.
Is uTorrent easier for a moron to use?
Azureus has an option to pick whatever port you want to use.

Norm In Norman
8/30/2006, 02:11 PM
Got it all done, now I see I can't download individual episodes of Lost season 2, only the full season. I only needed the last 4-5 episodes! :mad:
In azureus, when you start the torrent you can select the files you want to download OR you can set the status on the files you don't want to "DO NOT DOWNLOAD". That way you can use the season torrent but only download the eps you want.

OUDoc
8/30/2006, 02:29 PM
In azureus, when you start the torrent you can select the files you want to download OR you can set the status on the files you don't want to "DO NOT DOWNLOAD". That way you can use the season torrent but only download the eps you want.
Sweet! If I wasn't such a dip****, I might have known that. Thanks!

sooner_born_1960
8/30/2006, 06:12 PM
provided they're not all tucked into a rar or zip.

Norm In Norman
8/30/2006, 08:38 PM
Sweet! If I wasn't such a dip****, I might have known that. Thanks!
Did you figure out how to get it to download just the individual files?

Sooner_Bob
8/30/2006, 08:59 PM

I think you can do that in uTorrent as well . . . do you prefer Azureus over uTorrent?

Norm In Norman
8/30/2006, 09:05 PM
I've never used uTorrent before. Maybe I'll try it some day. I'm sort of used to the way Azureus works so I've never tried anything else. Maybe i don't know what I'm missing.

nanimonai
8/31/2006, 01:02 AM

Http://www.mininova.org usually has a lot of individual Lost episodes.

Season 2 DVD should be out pretty soon though.

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 07:31 AM
I've never used uTorrent before. Maybe I'll try it some day. I'm sort of used to the way Azureus works so I've never tried anything else. Maybe i don't know what I'm missing.

I used azureus for quite a while and then gave uTorrent a try and haven't switched back.

It's pretty much the same program, but doesn't seem to hog as many resources.

OUDoc
8/31/2006, 08:31 AM
Didn't get a chance to try it last night, my SIL is in town. I'll try it as soon as I can.
So, just to make sure I follow you, TVTorrents only lists "Lost Season 2" in a couple of different formats. I should be able to select the episodes I want to download? Beano got me the first 19 or so episodes, so I only need the ones after that.

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 08:33 AM
When you download the torrent file you should be presented with a pop up that asks what program you want to open the file with (uTorrent, Azureus, etc.) and then you should also see a window that shows all of the various files attached to the torrent file. Simply uncheck the ones you don't want and then save the others in a folder of your choice.

OUDoc
8/31/2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks, everyone. I'll give it a shot.

Hatfield
8/31/2006, 09:30 AM
you can also get single shows on torrent reactor do a google search i don't remember if it is a .net or .com or whatever.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 09:39 AM
torrent reactor dot net

also, scrapetorrent dot com is a pretty goood one to use. it scans 4 different sites to find your torrent goodies.

torrentsearch dot com
mininova dot org
meganova dot org
thepiratebay dot org
torrentreactor dot com

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 10:36 AM
The torrent search extension for Firefox does even more than that . . . if you are a huge torrent downloader then it's a must have IMO.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 10:37 AM
bob, i'll have to try that. i haven't given the extension a shot before

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 10:46 AM
I don't think you'll be dissappointed.

It searches some sites I hadn't heard of before.

Oh, and if anyone needs a demonoid or tvtorrents invite I can hook you up.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 10:51 AM
yeah, i need demonoid. i'm not too much of a tvtorrents fan. but what the heck

what i really need is the EW QL symphonic choirs torrents, which i think demonoid is the only group who has em

steelpanz at gmail dot com :)

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 10:53 AM
I'll have to wait and do it from home . . . I haven't used any of the invites for demonoid yet, so I hope I still have 'em.

Hatfield
8/31/2006, 10:56 AM
i wouldn't mind an invite to demonoid if you have an extry

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 10:57 AM
:les: I'll add you to the list.

Hatfield
8/31/2006, 11:05 AM
they say one torrent site is the best and one isn't and we are going to go out there and see which is which..

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 11:26 AM
Ok, so my list of demonoid invitees looks like this:

Panz
Hatfield
crawfish

Hopefully once I figure out how many I have and whatnot we'll be able to provide invites to our fellow sf.com folks who want them.

Norm In Norman
8/31/2006, 12:21 PM
I'll try it if you have another. I don't even know what it is. TVTorrents has worked for me thus far.

OUDoc
8/31/2006, 02:28 PM
I think I did it right. I only needed 5 files. At about 300mb each, it should be done by now, however I'm currently on 2.28gb downloaded. Shouldn't it have stopped at ~1.5gb? It looks like I've got the ones I want, if I manually stop it, won't it mess something up? Also, don't I need to let it seed for a while? My ratio is 0.135 (bad). Should I just let it continue or stop it?

Norm In Norman
8/31/2006, 03:51 PM
I think I did it right. I only needed 5 files. At about 300mb each, it should be done by now, however I'm currently on 2.28gb downloaded. Shouldn't it have stopped at ~1.5gb? It looks like I've got the ones I want, if I manually stop it, won't it mess something up? Also, don't I need to let it seed for a while? My ratio is 0.135 (bad). Should I just let it continue or stop it?
If you are on something like TVTorrents, you should keep sharing because if your share ratio gets low your bandwidth gets low and you can't download.

Are you using Azureus or did you switch to uTorrent? In azureus, and this is from memory, you can double click on the torrent on the main screen. This brings up something that has a files tab. This tab should show you all the files in the torrent and how much of those files have been downloaded. The files you want should be at 100% if they are all there. If you DON'T want a file, you can right click on the file and set it's status (download priority?) to "Do Not Download" - then it won't download that particular file.

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 05:32 PM
I'll try it if you have another. I don't even know what it is. TVTorrents has worked for me thus far.

I was only able to create three invitation codes for some reason . . . I'll try to hook you up as soon as I can if one of the other guys can't.

OUDoc
8/31/2006, 06:10 PM
If you are on something like TVTorrents, you should keep sharing because if your share ratio gets low your bandwidth gets low and you can't download.

Are you using Azureus or did you switch to uTorrent? In azureus, and this is from memory, you can double click on the torrent on the main screen. This brings up something that has a files tab. This tab should show you all the files in the torrent and how much of those files have been downloaded. The files you want should be at 100% if they are all there. If you DON'T want a file, you can right click on the file and set it's status (download priority?) to "Do Not Download" - then it won't download that particular file.
yup, TVTorrents and Azureus. It finally finished, but the files were 600-700mb, not 300mb like I thought. Right now it's seeding, but my ratio is still crap. At this rate, I'll need to leave it there for 2 days to get my ratio back up. Where (besides "as high as possible") should my ratio be to keep me in the clear?

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 07:29 PM
yup, TVTorrents and Azureus. It finally finished, but the files were 600-700mb, not 300mb like I thought. Right now it's seeding, but my ratio is still crap. At this rate, I'll need to leave it there for 2 days to get my ratio back up. Where (besides "as high as possible") should my ratio be to keep me in the clear?

Always try to keep your ratio at 1.0 or above and you'll be fine.

OUDoc
8/31/2006, 07:55 PM
Damn. What resolution did I download? It won't play on my progressive scan DVD player. I'll have to see if I can decrease the resolution before I burn it to DVD again. :(

Ratio's only at 0.215 after 4 hours of seeding.

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 09:56 PM
Damn. What resolution did I download? It won't play on my progressive scan DVD player. I'll have to see if I can decrease the resolution before I burn it to DVD again. :(

Ratio's only at 0.215 after 4 hours of seeding.

Did you convert it to MPEG format?

Wal-Mart has a Magnavox DVD player that supposed to support DivX playback that I'm seriously thinking about buying . . . it's less than $40. That way I won't have to covert to watch what I download. (I hope) :pop:

OUDoc
9/1/2006, 08:15 AM
Did you convert it to MPEG format?

Wal-Mart has a Magnavox DVD player that supposed to support DivX playback that I'm seriously thinking about buying . . . it's less than $40. That way I won't have to covert to watch what I download. (I hope) :pop:
I bought a Philips a few months ago that supports DivX, but not this resolution (apparently). Looking back, my old episodes were something like ~340mb. Not sure what I accidentally downloaded, but these are twice that size. Hell of a picture on the computer though! Still trying to figure out how to downconvert the resolution, but no luck. I can always watch the last 5 episodes on the computer anyway.
Thanks again for the help. I may have actually gotten the torrent thing figured out.

Sooner_Bob
9/1/2006, 04:38 PM
If you have gotten it figured out you'll be hooked in no time.

Sooner_Bob
9/2/2006, 12:07 AM
The next thing you'll need to buy is a dual layer DVD burner . . . I'm slowly putting all of the Stargate SG-1 seasons on DVD (among tons of other shows).

MiccoMacey
9/2/2006, 02:13 AM
I have no real comment in this thread...just trying to post in every thread on the SO tonite.

Sooner_Bob
9/15/2006, 10:33 AM
I bought that Magnavox player and I'm happy to announce it also plays the new Xvid video files.

It's so cool to just burn stuff to DVD and not have to both with reencoding it.