PDA

View Full Version : Golf question thread

tbl
8/21/2006, 07:56 AM
We obviously have some amazing golfers here (who on the PGA tour has hit a hole in one with a 6 iron???), so I figured we needed a place for you guys to inform the rest of us hackers how you do what you do.

First question I have, and this will help my game in no way whatsoever: Why don't the PGA guys wear their gloves when they putt?

Mjcpr
8/21/2006, 08:01 AM
We obviously have some amazing golfers here (who on the PGA tour has hit a hole in one with a 6 iron???), so I figured we needed a place for you guys to inform the rest of us hackers how you do what you do.

First question I have, and this will help my game in no way whatsoever: Why don't the PGA guys wear their gloves when they putt?

Speaking as one of the amazing golfers on here.....

Oh, wait.

I take mine off and strap it to the golf cart so it will dry out a little....that's the only reason I don't putt with mine on. Jack Nicklaus and John Daly DO putt with theirs on, so there you go.

GDC
8/21/2006, 08:04 AM
We obviously have some amazing golfers here

We have amazing golfers, geniuses on multiple topics, and we welcome whorns with open arms.

OU4LIFE
8/21/2006, 08:06 AM
I don't play with a glove.

Unless it's just crazy hot and humid. Which it hasn't been so far this year.

I just keep my hands dry and don't need a glove.

Pat is obviously a sissy.

Mjcpr
8/21/2006, 08:07 AM
I don't play with a glove.

Unless it's just crazy hot and humid. Which it hasn't been so far this year.

I just keep my hands dry and don't need a glove.

Pat is obviously a sissy.

I come from a long line of sweaters.

In fact, my uncle was a Cardigan.

HI-YO!!

tbl
8/21/2006, 09:04 AM
but why do most PGA guys not putt with one? I doubt sweating is the reason, b/c they take theirs off after each swing on the approach, but then they don't put it on when they putt.

picasso
8/21/2006, 09:04 AM
I think you get a better feel when not using a glove. however, if it's cold or I'm not putting worth a crap, I'll put it back on.
also, I rarely chip with my glove around the green.

Fred Couples never wears a glove either.

TexasLidig8r
8/21/2006, 09:59 AM
So.. do any of your more experienced golfer types know anything about a melonite finish? Does it affect the club's playability.. softer feel?

Newbomb Turk
8/21/2006, 10:00 AM
If it's a really hot, humid day, I'll take my glove off between every shot and leave it off when I putt.

If it's not hot, I just leave it on all the time - even when I putt. Maybe that's why I'm such a crappy putter.

OU4LIFE
8/21/2006, 10:06 AM
Melonite is just a buzz word. What matters most in the "feel" of a club is what it's actually made of and how it's made. Like forged versus Cast...etc.

Melonite is just a "look", like satin, or gunmetal .

fadada1
8/21/2006, 10:17 AM
ya'll are a bunch of morans!!!!

it's because if you don't take it off, you get a funky tan line.

i don't putt with mine, because i never miss an approach shot. if i do, however, i always chip it in.

i think you'll find that most people don't putt with a glove for "feel" reasons. you want to have a light touch on the putter grip, and gloves interfere with your proprioceptive feedback.

Partial Qualifier
8/21/2006, 10:28 AM
So.. do any of your more experienced golfer types know anything about a melonite finish? Does it affect the club's playability.. softer feel?

I thought they were like Amish people. Seriously, they make golf clubs?

OU4LIFE
8/21/2006, 10:28 AM
gloves interfere with your proprioceptive feedback.

what the fu....

LSUMeathead
8/21/2006, 10:34 AM
I don't putt with mine on because of the feel. I have done it that way for so long that it feels awkward when I putt with my glove on much like it feels awkward when I swing the rest of my clubs with it off. Putting is the only time I do not wear a glove.

I use two separate gloves when it is hot (which is most of the time) because I will sweat right through one after three holes. I take them off after each stroke and velcro it to the cart. I alternate them as often as I can during a round.

I have to guess that the PGA pros don't wear theirs to putt for much of the same reason...feel.

fadada1
8/21/2006, 10:35 AM
what the fu....
"Proprioceptive feedback - from proprioceptors in the muscle and tendons and the balance sensors which provide information on the 'feel' of the movement. Athletes can use this feedback to make fine adjustments to the movement."

you're welcome:D

Mjcpr
8/21/2006, 10:38 AM
"Proprioceptive feedback - from proprioceptors in the muscle and tendons and the balance sensors which provide information on the 'feel' of the movement. Athletes can use this feedback to make fine adjustments to the movement."

Yeah!

Hairy is such an amateur.

OU4LIFE
8/21/2006, 10:45 AM

what about non-athletes like Pat?

fadada1
8/21/2006, 10:55 AM
what about non-athletes like Pat?
we refer to that as "slap and giggle".

Newbomb Turk
8/21/2006, 11:14 AM
he's checking out your proprioceptors.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5469/4lifemjcpr8ncbh1.jpg

OU4LIFE
8/21/2006, 11:34 AM